• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I just defeated it, but only with pure luck, since both trainers that got killed destroyed two barriers with 5-6 shields with their cheering lol

That's how I won on my first attempt too!
I call that "talent".

My teammates were terrible too. A Zacian that stayed frozen for three turns, a Marshadow that got one shot twice, and an Incineroar that did virtually no damage.

But yeah, pure luck. Lost 4 times since, once with bad luck (Mewtwo was one hit away from KO but flinched us with Rock Slide).

I'm using my VGC level 100 Jellycent, it's great against special Mewtwo, less against the physical one.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It's a 30% activation chance, so I certainly wouldn't risk it.

giphy.webp

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can't do this online?
It's the inverse: this is nigh impossible unless you're online.

So here's my question for people: What are their suggestions for some one like me whose only previous games were let's go (and don't have any pokemon from any previous games other than that even if they might have played some pokemon before)? Most pokemon in this thread I see suggested are pokemon from other games that are not easy to get even trading wise, especially if you haven't played a lot of pokemon to have the kind of pokemon they would trade those for.

My advice is to get a Grimmsnarl with prankster (critical) and support with some combination of screens and Thunder Wave or Taunt. Throw in an attacking move for good measure.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Does it use status moves? Can Magic Bounce reflect them? Wondering if I should use a Magic Bounce Hatterene or my G-Max Hatterene without Magic Bounce. Speaking of which, can Mewtwo be statused?

Deleted member 15457

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does it use status moves? Can Magic Bounce reflect them? Wondering if I should use a Magic Bounce Hatterene or my G-Max Hatterene without Magic Bounce. Speaking of which, can Mewtwo be statused?

Mewtwo only uses attacking moves or buffing ones. No status moves

Mewtwo can be statused, but only if it's shield isn't up. This means you'll either want your statuser to be fast or have priority.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mewtwo only uses attacking moves or buffing ones. No status moves

Mewtwo can be statused, but only if it's shield isn't up. This means you'll either want your statuser to be fast or have priority.
Alright, thanks. And yeah, whenever I bring G-Max Hatterene to raid battles to use her G-Max move, I often forget I won't go first. lol She's probably my best bet regardless, though purely for her special bulk and defensive typing.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is so tough 😩

gave up for tonight but i guess i'll try again over the weekend...

Deleted member 15457

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm training a Lunala and a Marshadow for this, any tips on moves, hold items, and EV spreads?

Please? 🥺

For this specific fight, I'd recommend running max HP and Special Attack on Lunala, with a PPMax'd out Moongeist Beam. Assault Vest if you're not using T-wave, Sitrus Berry if you are.

Marshadow should run max Attack and Speed since it's too squishy for any kind of tanking. It definitely needs Spectral Thief in order to shut down the buffs, and it can also run Will-O-Wisp for burns. IDK what held item it should use. Focus Sash is right out since consumed items are not refunded after max raid battles. Maybe a psychic resist berry?

Alright, thanks. And yeah, whenever I bring G-Max Hatterene to raid battles to use her G-Max move, I often forget I won't go first. lol She's probably my best bet regardless, though purely for her special bulk and defensive typing.

It might be worth running trick room since Mewtwo has base 130 speed, and has a good chance of outspeeding the whole team.

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
For this specific fight, I'd recommend running max HP and Special Attack on Lunala, with a PPMax'd out Moongeist Beam. Assault Vest if you're not using T-wave, Sitrus Berry if you are.

Marshadow should run max Attack and Speed since it's too squishy for any kind of tanking. It definitely needs Spectral Thief in order to shut down the buffs, and it can also run Will-O-Wisp for burns. IDK what held item it should use. Focus Sash is right out since consumed items are not refunded after max raid battles. Maybe a psychic resist berry?

Thanks a bunch, I'll give them a try!

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord, hardest thing about this fight is just finding people with half decent Pokemon selections.

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Things that are infuriating:

- People who Dynamax their Pokémon, preventing a much better Dynamax from someone else.
- People who forget they can heal their Pokémon.
- *add more*

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling that people still aren't fully grasping this (cos I sure as hell ain't) but the Pokemon Go Raid battles seem to be one of the better updates to that game since 'the drop-off' (even though it wasn't ever really, mainstream media just stopped talking about the game every damn day).

What's more, if those were 'semi-MMO' experiences then this is surely more of that?

Personally not sure still if I will even buy this game but it's really fun seeing the community come around on it like this.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I think I found a good team combination. Cofagrigus, Grimmsnarl, and two Lunalas (can be replaced with Mimikyu.

Cyple

Jan 9, 2018
I am looking for a group to get this done, anyone want to join up? I use link code 2222

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
The way raids work mean that I wouldn't be able to use any of the fun strategies I come up with to beat this. Shields block status moves and most secondary effects and the bosses can decide that your stat boosts and abilities don't count anymore. Every raid comes down to picking a Pokemon that resists the opponent's moves and can spam super effective moves and this seems like an exaggerated version of that where you have to heal and set up screens as well. So there's at least a bit more strategy involved but it's still not as fun as it could be. And doing it solo is absolutely impossible.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Trained up a Grimmsnarl to fight Mewtwo with. Luckily I got one from the Event Raid with maxed IVs in everything but Sp. Atk. Had to use an ability capsule to give it Prankster. I was happy to find out that the EV hold items have been buffed since the DS days. Gave it the moves Reflect, Light Screen, Thunder Wave, and Darkest Lariat.

First attempt with randoms was a bust. Only three real trainer, the AI had a fighting type, and the other two had no idea what they were getting into to. Second attempt was met with victory. Two Lunala and two Grimmsnarls including mine. We lucked in synergy. I used Light screen and the other one used Reflect. I used Thunder Wave and the other one used taunt. I ended up fainting, but it worked out since my broke broke Mewtwo's second barrier the turn after it came up. Even got my ability capsule back from the spoils. Now to see if I can get some orbs from the starter battles.

Corginand

Oct 25, 2017
Would a defensive Gastrodon set be a good choice? I'm considering breeding one because it learns Clear Smog and is only weak to Grass (is there any Mewtwo moveset with a grass attack?)

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Would a defensive Gastrodon set be a good choice? I'm considering breeding one because it learns Clear Smog and is only weak to Grass (is there any Mewtwo moveset with a grass attack?)

That might not be a bad choice. I haven't seen Mewtwo use a grass move from the sets I have faced. Also, I am pretty sure Clear Smog effect isn't stopped by the barrier either. You could also give it Stockpile and Recover as well.

MrCJ86

Aug 10, 2019
I'm feeling the pain of not playing sun and moon, I would give my kingdom for a marshadow. Only successful groups have had both marshadow and grimsnarl. 3 out of 30ish.

BeefTengoku

Jul 9, 2019
Beat it three times last night, using Marshadow w/ Assault Vest. I think I did 5 total?

The last battle was the easiest, if only because it KO'ed me immediately and my cheering erased 5 shields, haha.

May try a Payapa Berry, though, to see if that lets it take a Psystrike.

I feel like Marshadow is pretty essential, though, because if it gets too many boosts it's completely unstoppable. One Nasty Plot alone can make it unwinnable.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Was about to hop back on the game until I read you can't actually catch the dude. What a tease.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
I'm having the hardest time actually getting people to join these raids. Most of the time when I connect online I only get one bite max and even then half the time they never say they're ready. I'm having no trouble connecting to other people's raids though.

SeZMehK

Turnip King
Oct 27, 2017
New York
You should all join the ERA discord. We have a strat down that we can consistantly get Mewtwo down. We are currently are hosting Mewtwo and shiny raids. The more people available, the more dens we can run. :)

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
So what would be the best Pokemon to use against Mewtwo? Grimmsnarl or Marshadow? And what nature/ability?

Holyoneturtle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
what about rayquaza? wasnt he rated like ultra god tier or whatever.

Edit: NVM forgot he's not available in the game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what about rayquaza? wasnt he rated like ultra god tier or whatever.

Edit: NVM forgot he's not available in the game.
he is in Smogon singles and even more so when it mega evolves. but has plenty of counters in VGC doubles. not sure if those doubles tactics would translate given how combat is different in raids

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
The fun of the challenge. That's why I do it. The bottlecaps/ability capsules are nice too. But I mostly do it for the challenge. It's not like you lose anything you didn't already have if you lose, so really nothing to lose.

A battle against an obnoxiously strong boss is not my idea of a fun challenge. Heck, I'm not a big fan of battles at all in Pokemon. I do raids to catch the Pokemon. And I don't really need the items because I don't ever play the game competitively.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yoooo, I beat Mewtwo on my first try! I guess I was lucky to have started after everyone figured out how to deal with it.

I led with Hatterene and my partners were Lunala, Necrozma, Dawn Wings Necrozma, and Grimmsnarl. I dynamaxed of course, and was lucky enough to get 3 straight Max Phantasms without dying. (In hindsight, I should have hard Dark Pulse instead of Shadow Ball since Max Darkness decreases Sp. Def. Grimmsnarl's Light Screen was a tremendous help for survival. He managed to get one Taunt off after his first wave of shields broke, which stopped the Calm Minds, but those Fire Blasts and Max Flares were hurting still because of the sunlight. All Lunala and Necrozma could do was spam Moongeist Beam and heal, which was good, but the Lunala and Grimmsnarl got KO'd in the same turn. My D-Max was over, and Necrozma was taking almost all the punishment. They kept using healing items until our partners came back and miraculously survived. I set up a Trick Room the turn after my D-Max ended, but I was afraid it wouldn't make a difference because I remembered Lunala was faster than Mewtwo, and I wasn't sure if Necrozma was faster too. Turns out, that Trick Room came in super clutch at the very end. The second wave of shields was gone, and there was just one more turn to decide our fates. Our HP wasn't looking too hot and no one was healing. Light Screen was up, but I didn't know if we would survive. Mewtwo had so little health left, but our attacks didn't do that much damage. Thanks to my Trick Room however, all of us were slower than Mewtwo except Lunala, so we were able to land the final three hits before Mewtwo could take an action. It was awesome! (I don't know if anything had Room Service because I didn't check, but if someone did, that probably would have contributed.)