• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying the game physically, digitally?

• Physically

Votes: 620 42.2%
  • As a gift physically

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Digitally

Votes: 483 32.9%
  • As a gift digitally

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 260 17.7%
  • One Digitally and One Physically?

Votes: 27 1.8%
  • Both Digital or Physical?

Votes: 56 3.8%

• Total voters

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
This is the only positive thread we have and you guys arguing over shit that's been discussed to death in other parts of the internet are bringing the mood down. Why can't we just enjoy the games? That's what is important. If a game disappoints you fine but don't try and make us feel bad for just wanting to enjoy our favorite game.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
People needs to remember this isn't Gen 2 or 4, I highly doubt the game could be delayed.

And even if it could, the game is going to be unpolished, but not bad

Also, isn't there like 10 threads that can be used to discuss this?
Lol I was responding to Serebii's post about the models so you can take it up with them if you don't want SWSH datamine to be discussed in this thread.

The game ABSOLUTELY could have been delayed. Gamefreak has more autonomy than pretty much any other Nintendo exclusive developer. They have enough cash to survive an extra year without pumping out what appears to be a half baked product.

"bad" is subjective, so I won't press it. But at least we can all agree the game exhibits a clear lack of polish. Reviews are in today, so let's see how the game reviews.

Jun 2, 2019
I was responding to Serebii's post about the models so you can take it up with them if you don't want SWSH datamine to be discussed in this thread

This thread exists EXACTLY to not discuss the datamines and having a healthy discussion without negativity or toxicity

This is the only positive thread we have and you guys arguing over shit that's been discussed to death in other parts of the internet are bringing the mood down. Why can't we just enjoy the games? That's what is important. If a game disappoints you fine but don't try and make us feel bad for just wanting to enjoy our favorite game.

A quick look at their post history shows that they come directly from the datamine threads and I would adventure that they come in an organized manner

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
I will admit that this was going to be my first Pokemon game (maybe it was not a good idea) but all these discussions around it have given me cold feet.
But if the review are meh maybe i will lean towards let's go ?

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
For the love of god. Stop having your enjoyment hurt by what strangers on the internet say. It blows my mind that you can have your mood brought down when it seems like you are the customer that is going to be perfectly happy with the end result???
This is so stupid. JUST ENJOY THE GAME?????

And let criticism be criticism, holy moly. You're really going to make the case that people can't write about their disappointment and misigivings cause others did it before them? I can't even... imagine if that was the argument for discussion in general anything positive that is said can never be said again cause it was already said months ago.

Again just fucking enjoy the game you weirdo you are the person that basically has no reason to complain at all. And let people criticize that have issues and aren't going to be happy with the end product. It's not hard. Honestly the pokemon community is so thin skinned. It's insanity.
It's literally culture shock after playing Iceborne for months where people can share their misgiving on aspects like the weapon designs, the guiding lands, the endgame, the balancing and nobody bats an eye or dreams of labeling that as toxicity.
Because it is actually normal to be critical about things you like.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
For the love of god. Stop having your enjoyment hurt by what strangers on the internet say. It blows my mind that you can have your mood brought down when it seems like you are the customer that is going to be perfectly happy with the end result???

And let criticism be criticism, holy moly. You're really going to make the case that people can't write about their disappointment and misigivings cause others did it before them? I can't even... imagine if that was the argument for discussion in general anything positive that is said can never be said again cause it was already said months ago.

Again just fucking enjoy the game you weirdo you are the person that basically has no reason to complain at all. And let people criticize that have issues and aren't going to be happy with the end product. It's not hard.
Chill and apologize. Your post is needlessly aggressive.

Nov 13, 2017
It's perfectly fine and what everyone expected.

However someone clearly out of their mind or who maybe tought that Pokémon fan were literally 5 years old only also said this

If EA or Bethesda pulled this people would get mad ala No Man's Sky or Fallout 76.

People have been getting mad about these games for months now. The subreddit is nothing but a cesspool of negativity. I don't see how there is any less outrage than the ones you mentioned.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Again just fucking enjoy the game you weirdo you are the person that basically has no reason to complain at all. And let people criticize that have issues and aren't going to be happy with the end product. It's not hard.

But most criticism is based on datamining and spoilers from people playing the game early, and there are other threads for that.

Those of us in here just want to discuss our excitement and happiness for the game without people coming in every other post to poo-poo that.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
But most criticism is based on datamining and spoilers from people playing the game early, and there are other threads for that.
I mean that's fine, although that isn't the argument brought forth to what I replied. But yes if it's criticism relating so hard to datamine stuff this is indeed a fair argument.
My post is an answer to an insufferable attitude. I ain't going to apologize for flaming dumbass fanboy behavior.
Just be normal and be a participant that doesn't start to cry cause people have issues with your favorite thing and I'll reply normally as well. But this stuff is just goddamn obnoxious and is absolutely part of generating toxicity. Because it constantly labels a thing that ABSOLUTELY normal as toxic.
Yes criticism is actually normal in most other gaming communities. But Pokemonland is somehow one of the select few with enough insane people where it's toxic. Also apparently from yesterday all dataminers are scum committing crimes.That's the level of crazy I'm seeing in these threads and I ain't apologizing for calling this garbage out.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019

Again just fucking enjoy the game you weirdo you are the person that basically has no reason to complain at all. And let people criticize that have issues and aren't going to be happy with the end product. It's not hard. Honestly the pokemon community is so thin skinned. It's insanity.
It's literally culture shock after playing Iceborne for months where people can share their misgiving on aspects like the weapon designs, the guiding lands, the endgame, the balancing and nobody bats an eye or dreams of labeling that as toxicity.
Because it is actually normal to be critical about things you like.

This a thread for people full in the hype cycle. You have like, what, five threads to rejoice in your negativism and toxicity?

Apologize for being so aggressive and let people enjoy their hyoe

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I will admit that this was going to be my first Pokemon game (maybe it was not a good idea) but all these discussions around it have given me cold feet.
It is going to be good first Pokemon games. What you are witnessing is just a part of the fanbase's anger for years now.

Even them wouldn't advice you Let'sGo over Sw/Sh. You can take a look at the previews if you want, they were very positive.

Nov 13, 2017

What are you getting so hostile for? The post you replied to certainly didn't warrant it.

Also, there is also no place on the internet right now where people are positive about the game. There are so, so many avenues through which discussions and criticisms like you are looking for can be shared - the Pokemon subreddit is almost entirely negative, and a lot of the threads right now on ResetEra are as well. For those of us who don't like looking at negativity constantly, it's just nice to have a place where we can just see others get excited for the game. Sure, you are free to post negative things on this thread as well, it is all worth discussing after all, but people don't have to necessarily like looking at it.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
This thread exists EXACTLY to not discuss the datamines and having a healthy discussion without negativity or toxicity

A quick look at their post history shows that they come directly from the datamine threads and I would adventure that they come in an organized manner
One: the thread is the non spoiler thread, being positive on the game isn't a prerequisite. Two: chill

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

Again, take that up with Serebii, I didn't post about it ITT initially. Just responding to a post about the models. Show me where I've been toxic, or stop obliquely implying that my posts here are toxic or negative. I just checked the OP and I didn't violate any rule or "reason" that you may have for this thread. So can you chill and not police discussion in a thread unless you're a mod?

Delio

Oct 25, 2017

I honestly wouldn't go to Let's Go as your first. I think Sw/Sh despite everything would be good for a first timer. Again the previews were good so I bet the reviews wont be that different. I'd still go with Sw/Sh.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I just listened to the lastest episode of ISE, and they made a point that i cant believe nobody(to my knowledge) pointed out.
Its a bit late and all, but it was just so funny i want to bring it up.

So we had people saying that Gamefreak/TPC didnt announce the cuts to the japanese audience.
Here i think the argument went back and forth a bit, but eventually settled.
What i didnt see though, is anybody mentioning a specific fact.

The cuts were announced at e3.
Which yes is an english event.
But unless i completely misremember it, the actual announcement was made in japanese(since that is what the devs spoke), and then translated to english by the translator at the event.

Would that not mean that some theoretical japanese person would notice when they announce the cuts "in japanese", despire the english translator also talking ?

I mean that's what I have been saying to the people claiming "the poor Japanese people just learned about the dex cut through leaks and it was never officially announced there". It's total bullshit. I even posted several articles which were released shortly after the infamous Treehouse section that mentioned how unhappy Japanese Pokémon fans were about the dex cut.
Hell, we even had a statement from Masuda in Japanese on the official Pokémon site: https://www.pokemon.com/us/a-message-for-pokemon-video-game-fans/

Japanese people knew about the dex cut, period.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
This is a Pokémon Sword and Shield discussion thread, isn't it? If you can't handle people with different opinions on a internet forum then I don't know how to help you. Discussion and arguments for or against something is healthy as long is it stays civil, and people have legitimate concerns with the development of the games and how GF has communicated with the fans. I see nothing wrong with people voicing their opinion about the games in this thread.

Suggesting people to head over to the other threads is a terrible argument because, well, they don't want to be spoiled.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017

This thread isn't solely for positive discussion. People are free to be critical or express dislike about the games here, so long as spoilers are avoided. A discussion that is only positive or only negative, is not healthy.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
also i have the trademark on the term toxic and toxicity (just went through) so if you're going to use it to describe any post on this forum you don't like that will be a nickel

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

*neo +1 from orbit*

Without a doubt, the discussion that sits around Pokemon criticism is by far the worst behaviour I have encountered in gaming. The only time I saw anything that was remotely like this was when Microsoft announced Rise Of The Tomb Raider as "an exclusive".

Dress it up as "valid criticism" all you want, if the manner of delivery is loaded with absolute venom and the delivery is repetitive and unending, then you're not criticising, you are actively being toxic.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
What are you getting so hostile for? The post you replied to certainly didn't warrant it.

Also, there is also no place on the internet right now where people are positive about the game. There are so, so many avenues through which discussions and criticisms like you are looking for can be shared - the Pokemon subreddit is almost entirely negative, and a lot of the threads right now on ResetEra are as well. For those of us who don't like looking at negativity constantly, it's just nice to have a place where we can just see others get excited for the game. Sure, you are free to post negative things on this thread as well, it is all worth discussing after all, but people don't have to necessarily like looking at it.
The constant labeling of criticism as toxic and just being there to pull others being down does warrant being called out. Deal with it. It's frankly untenable that this is so common in pokemon discussions.

And it doesn't get called out enough that people actually started to write it as facts as well. Just yesterday someone was simply saying man reviewers get so much shit for being too negative about games. Like what the heck. I dunno but I for sure as hope reviewers aren't getting shit for simply being negative and actually they're doing their job and are engaging critically with what they review. But that's the brainwashing in Pokemon threads for ya.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
This is a Pokémon Sword and Shield discussion thread, isn't it? If you can't handle people with different opinions on a internet forum then I don't know how to help you. Discussion and arguments for or against something is healthy as long is it stays civil, and people have legitimate concerns with the development of the games and how GF has communicated with the fans. I see nothing wrong with people voicing their opinion about the games in this thread.

Suggesting people to head over to the other threads is a terrible argument because, well, they don't want to be spoiled.
I think they might have criticized people coming from the leaks thread to discuss those issues here. Overall I agree with your point tho.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ended up "cancelling" it now (Though depends if the cancellation goes through before shipping, which if they've signed a contract to not ship until tomorrow anyway, which is probably likely, should go through fine).
I wouldn't say I'm a big pokemon fan anyway, but I'm just seeing too many negatives and not enough positives to justify me wanting this a lot, which is a shame as I had high hopes for what a console pokemon game could deliver.. maybe next time.
I also just learnt about Pokemon Home, I'm not happy with it supposedly needing a subscription fee for this and I can see this being used to "fix" the issues with Sw/Sh and potentially future games too, easy for me to not support this, also still have LGP to play.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I mean that's what I have been saying to the people claiming "the poor Japanese people just learned about the dex cut through leaks and it was never officially announced there". It's total bullshit. I even posted several articles which were released shortly after the infamous Treehouse section that mentioned how unhappy Japanese Pokémon fans were about the dex cut.
Hell, we even had a statement from Masuda in Japanese on the official Pokémon site: https://www.pokemon.com/us/a-message-for-pokemon-video-game-fans/

Japanese people knew about the dex cut, period.
I know they knew about the cut.
Its just so funny to me that people used the E3 event being in english as a reason for japanese people not knowing about it, when the very first announcement about the cuts was in japanese, then translated to english live on camera.

Like how could the japanese people have known about the cuts, its not like they understand the language the devs natively speak.

Nov 4, 2019
The discussion is turning very black and white. You're either a toxic troll or a naive fanboy that will accept anything. To me, this franchise is the one I always enjoy even if it has flaws, like a childhood music artist I loved back then but hasn't brought out an album I really liked for the past ten years. I've stopped playing and later on caught up with the games several times in my life. There is enough to criticize if you want to. From lack of innovation to elements of corporate greed.

For example, I really didn't like that USUM added so little new content to SM, and you basically needed them to get a new mythical and got rewarded with higher level event Pokémon than players with only a SM copy. That's a bad direction to take. I also think the games are sticking too much to Meet Professor - Pick Grass, Fire or Water Starter - Meet Rival - Catch Bird, Bug and Rodent in a Forest - Fight Evil Team - Catch Legendaries - Fight E4. It's the same game over and over again, with QOL improvements coming too little, too slowly.

To me, Pokémon is the fantasy of being a young teenager and going out in the world on an adventure, being able to go where ever you want, no worries about how you will pay for it, where you will sleep, and adventure behind every corner, something new to discover every day. That's the essence. RBY and GSC translated this to a game within what was technically possible at that time. But when the technology improved, GameFreak continued to remake the same games over and over instead of using new technoligcal possibilities to make the essential experience even better. RBY didn't have a big open world because it was not possible, newer games don't have it because GameFreak chooses not to.

Anyway, I'm sure other people have other things they consider the essence of Pokémon to them. But it might not be bad if the controversy this time around will lead to a broader discussion about what a Pokémon game should be. Is it about a professor and a rival, or is exploration more key to the experience. Hopefully Nintendo/TPC/GameFreak will see the need for innovation after this release. QOL improvements are fun, but the formula is still the same as RBY. Time to shake things up.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
What do you guys think of the Gym leader theme and can someone explain me to my why Game Freak thinks we Europeans are into techno?
X/Y Gym leader theme had even more techno vibes and I actually like both themes but it's still funny that they seem to think it's the music we are listening to here lol.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
The person you quoted didn't
The person I quoted believes that people are just talking about things they have issues with just to bring the mood down. Label that whatever you want it's def not a normal or healthy attitude to take and takes like that make discussion untenable. I can't even imagine a world where I'd go into a fire emblem thread talk about how bad the DLC has been in value and someone just drops in to make clear how that is bringing the mood down.
Like lmao what is that? Just be normal. I truly do not understand if all the news is making you happy enjoy the game. Share your enjoyment ignore the things people say that don't affect you cause well they don't affect you? Is that like so revolutionary?

Really the attitude that is being defended here is 100% fanboy trash. It's like going into threads about hardware issues and just posting well I don't have these issues. Like what's the point of that? It's so insanely irrational. If you don't have the issues just enjoy your hardware.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I know they knew about the cut.
Its just so funny to me that people used the E3 event being in english as a reason for japanese people not knowing about it, when the very first announcement about the cuts was in japanese, then translated to english live on camera.

Like how could the japanese people have known about the cuts, its not like they understand the language the devs natively speak.

"Japanese people kind of forgot that Masuda was capable of speaking Japanese"

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
What do you guys think of the Gym leader theme and can someone explain me to my why Game Freak thinks we Europeans are into techno?
X/Y Gym leader theme had even more techno vibes and I actually like both themes but it's still funny that they seem to think it's the music we are listening to here lol.
Techno/trance undoubtedly has its largest foothold in Europe, so it ain't that weird. :P

Haven't heard or seen much from the game yet, other than the largest recent headlines, which is why I'm in this thread. But if the game has a techo-themed OST I won't complain.

Oct 28, 2019

Lmao this is so true. From what I've heard the OST is very love it or hate it. Though some tracks absolutely slap.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

Wasn't techno born in Europe? I know the late 90's/early 00's had a really big euro techno scene

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The person I quoted believes that people are just talking about things they have issues with just to bring the mood down. Label that whatever you want it's def not a normal or healthy attitude to take and takes like that make discussion untenable. I can't even imagine a world where I'd go into a fire emblem thread talk about how bad the DLC has been in value and someone just drops in to make clear how that is bringing the mood down.
Like lmao what is that? Just be normal. I truly do not understand if all the news is making you happy enjoy the game. Share your enjoyment ignore the things people say that don't affect you cause well they don't affect you? Is that like so revolutionary?

I'm especially impressed by how much you've tried to plead with people to "be normal" on the same page where you're ranting like a crazy person.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Like lmao what is that?
If you were bringing this point for the thousand time, yes I think some people might call you out.

The issue they mentionned is bringing the discussion back to the same argument discussed to death for 5 months now.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017

We don't want you here. Your negativity does nothing productive. I want to enjoy the game.
You're going on my ignore list like the rest.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
We don't want you here. Your negativity does nothing productive and honestly you and everyone on my ignore list obviously have no life for taking something so serious. I want to enjoy the game.
You're going on my ignore list like the rest. Byeeee
Seriously, this behaviour needs to stop. People on both sides of the argument are showing too much hostility.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I'm especially impressed by how much you've tried to plead with people to "be normal" on the same page where you're ranting like a crazy person.
It's impressive how you actually have no argument and are just dismissing without substance. I ain't pleading as well I'm theatrically being fed up reading so these garbage fanboy takes that come from a place of clearly being bothered more that their favorite thing is getting criticized rather having any actual substantive disagreement with what is being criticized.
If you were bringing this point for the thousand time, yes I think some people might call you out.

The issue they mentionned is bringing the discussion back to the same argument discussed to death for 5 months now.
It's different people? And this argument of how because something has been brought up it can't be brought up again is just dumb. That's not how any internet discussion works but apparently pokemon wants to be special and have special rules just to cut down on the things that hurt their fragile egos that can't take having a game be criticized.
I just cannot fathom the why for that. I just don't have a single game where I'd be hurt cause someone on the internet is not happy with an aspect of it. I might disagree but not just go well stop being such downers. It's insane.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
This thread isn't solely for positive discussion. People are free to be critical or express dislike about the games here, so long as spoilers are avoided. A discussion that is only positive or only negative, is not healthy.

This Right here. Of course some posters overreact and that should be toned down. But the reaction to this has been building this whole year. This whole year we heard the defenders tell us that we were overreacting, the cuts wouldn't be that bad, wait for more info, stop being toxic ect. And now we are up against the release date and all those excuses fall flat. Now people just want to call all criticism of this game toxic and have a criticism free thread. Well I'm sorry, but many of us have been measured and rational in our criticism of GF and I won't just let the suggestion that my opinion is toxic slide. If people don't like

*neo +1 from orbit*

Without a doubt, the discussion that sits around Pokemon criticism is by far the worst behaviour I have encountered in gaming. The only time I saw anything that was remotely like this was when Microsoft announced Rise Of The Tomb Raider as "an exclusive".

Dress it up as "valid criticism" all you want, if the manner of delivery is loaded with absolute venom and the delivery is repetitive and unending, then you're not criticising, you are actively being toxic.

Using scare quotes and maligning those that don't share your opinion as venomous is actively being toxic. Some of us can recognize passive aggression and don't buy the whole righeous

The constant labeling of criticism as toxic and just being there to pull others being down does warrant being called out. Deal with it. It's frankly untenable that this is so common in pokemon discussions.

And it doesn't get called out enough that people actually started to write it as facts as well. Just yesterday someone was simply saying man reviewers get so much shit for being too negative about games. Like what the heck. I dunno but I for sure as hope reviewers aren't getting shit for simply being negative and actually they're doing their job and are engaging critically with what they review. But that's the brainwashing in Pokemon threads for ya.

THIS

I think they might have criticized people coming from the leaks thread to discuss those issues here. Overall I agree with your point tho.

Take another look, Serebii posted the most recent post about the models discussion in this thread. Maybe people started posting once they saw that. But it's not a case of "brigading" or whatever.

Electivirer

May 15, 2018
A lot of the things being discussed here are known thanks to the leaks and the datamine, so yes, it's a discussion that shouldn't take place here imo.