• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying the game physically, digitally?

• Physically

Votes: 620 42.2%
  • As a gift physically

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Digitally

Votes: 483 32.9%
  • As a gift digitally

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 260 17.7%
  • One Digitally and One Physically?

Votes: 27 1.8%
  • Both Digital or Physical?

Votes: 56 3.8%

• Total voters

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
As someone said, the games are gonna leak anyway a week or even more before the release date. The starter evos may even get officially revealed the very same day of release or the previous day, why do you need to know them so far in advance?

How much do y'all need to analyze in order to decide which starter you like better? It's not like they're gonna give us stats or complete movepool if they reveal them now, so your decision might be ultimately based upon the physical aspect of the Pokémon. One day before you buy your copy, just check the leaks which are 99% gonna be here by then, and pick your favorite fully evolved starter. At least that's what I'd do if I cared so much (I'm still getting the three starters eventually to complete the Dex, so if I didn't like the starter I pick I just switch it lol)

What I mean is, by the time you have the game on your hands it'll be almost 100% sure that all the info it's gonna be out there already, so why hurry up that?

Red & Blue had the starters on the cover. Before gen 6 every starter was known well in advance. At least outside of Japan. Either because GameFreak outright revealed them before the Japanese release, or, because the games would come out in Japan months before, so the starters would be advertised before the world wide release.

Like, I get not wanting the majority of the dex spoiled like in Gen 7, but there's a medium.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Not spoilers for you*

You're wild of you think many people play Pokemon for plot

You're even wilder if you think most would give a shit about starter forms being spoiled. Most WANT to see them.

I don't even think spoilers for Pokemon in general are very important. They shouldn't spell out the whole game but knowing the final form of the first Pokemon you pick is not a dealbreaker unless you are content to live in a basement until November 15th.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
This is a theory of mine, i have no evidence but the Red City is not London based but rather one of the Northern UK Cities like Manchester. The Northern Cities in particular were known for Coal Mining especially so it made me think. What if the Gym Leader for a Fire Gym has an element of that in his Pokemon. I think Rolycoly is going to evolve into a Rock/Fire Type and become more of a Steam Powered Train so that could be his ace in the Gym Battle.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Fire/Fighting is cool typing, honestly, it's just super weird that they did three in a row and burned people out on them forever.

I wonder what the thought process was behind that because it never made sense to me.

Generation III
Fire/Fighting
Water/Ground
Grass

Generation IV
Fire/Fighting
Water/Steel
Grass/Ground

Generation V
Fire/Fighting
Grass
Water

Why mix up the others but never Fire/Fighting? 🤔
I quite liked the mix-ups we got in Gen VII so I would love to see this generation pursue interesting final typings as well.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
You know what's funny about the whole starter final evos? I'm pretty sure I know exactly what they look like. Like I have the images of them in my mind and I'd be surprised if they they were 1% off from the final design, but maybe it's more overactive creative mind. I don't think I can describe them but I'll try. This is just what my brain sees as the designs, not claiming any inside info at all.
Grookey evolves into a green gorilla with a drum and it has some brown coloration. Has a stick of some kind, not sure exactly what it looks like. Grass and ground types. 2nd best of the three. Scorbunny evolves into a bipedal rabbit. Skinny torso but it's thighs/legs are thick. Coloration is relatively the same as Scorbunny. Typing is fire/electric. Not sure why I feel like it is electric, just a feeling. Worst of the 3 designs, unfortunately, as I wanted Scorbunny at first. Sobble evolves into a little deeper color blue, especially the face and around the eyes, chameleon. I feel like it will have a hat. I want to say it has a pipe like Sherlock Holmes but that might just me being hopeful. It might have sunglasses but I feel like that's other people's opinions affecting my image of the final starters. I'm thinking water/ghost as its typing but I wouldn't be surprised if it was water/dark.
Again just my image of what they look like. I only spoiler it just in case.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
This is a theory of mine, i have no evidence but the Red City is not London based but rather one of the Northern UK Cities like Manchester. The Northern Cities in particular were known for Coal Mining especially so it made me think. What if the Gym Leader for a Fire Gym has an element of that in his Pokemon. I think Rolycoly is going to evolve into a Rock/Fire Type and become more of a Steam Powered Train so that could be his ace in the Gym Battle.
They say in the game informer game freak studio tour video that the red brick city is inspired by Manchester.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
The leak actually suggests the somehow worse option, that it's simply Fire type and nothing else, so it's not just gonna be mere casualties lol

Oh I know, both sound pretty bad but as long as the design is good I fuck with him

It'd be boring af, but it's still a good typing

Not that it matters, we all know Sobble's line is winning this round anyways

*holds Incineroar tightly

Them's fucking fightin words, if Scorbunny ends up like King Kazma, James Pond and Donkey Kong don't stand a chance

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Fire/Fighting is cool typing, honestly, it's just super weird that they did three in a row and burned people out on them forever.

Emboar is especially baffling since they had already done a fire/fighting Journey to the West inspired Pokemon with Infernape.

Plus, I'm still salty over Samurott clearly deserving the fighting secondary typing more.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that the gigantimax leak? Is that the same one that says there's a battle frontier?

It's this, and the only leak that is assured to be in the right.
atjibca.png

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, which is what I'm probably going to do the week of release or so. But don't get me wrong, if they decide to officially reveal the final evos I'll look-- it's not that I plan to miss any of the pre-release updates, it's just that my preference would be not knowing until I have the game. My point was that the people who want to know beforehand are going to see them anyway due to leaks so I would prefer TPCi not show them.
Oh, yeah, I understand that. I quite like what they've been doing this time, keeping more things under wraps.

Feb 20, 2019
I feel like I exactly know how the final stage of Grookey looks. Yet I want to pick Sobble.

I believe ( and I'm hoping ) that he is a very buff gorilla. He has one big ass mace that he uses when he hits the ground, with his two hands. He has striped brown and light brown abs and green fur. A little tuft can be seen on his head and he has a pretty serious face even though he has a very wholesome smile. He's also a pretty wide boy.

We'll see in November

Jun 2, 2019
I did too, but because I knew already Chesnaught would be the final one.

I did without knowing, only 2nd evolution didn't like was Frogadier.

Also i loved all three Kalos starter max evolutions. Maybe it was my Castlevania fanboyism acting, because i ended with a Chesnaught named Trevor, a Delphox named Sypha and a Greninja named Grant

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Red & Blue had the starters on the cover. Before gen 6 every starter was known well in advance. At least outside of Japan. Either because GameFreak outright revealed them before the Japanese release, or, because the games would come out in Japan months before, so the starters would be advertised before the world wide release.

Like, I get not wanting the majority of the dex spoiled like in Gen 7, but there's a medium.

The first generation isn't a good reference, since it was the first generation, and many people outside of Japan knew Pokémon through the anime before the videogames anyway (which btw I think would've been a better way to introduce new Pokémon, that for some reason they didn't do this time around). And some of the following generations the final forms leaked way before the game release.

But anyway, I think it's fine if we get the middle stages, but if we're getting the final forms at some point, I think they should be the last thing they reveal, as close to the release date as possible. And I don't think tomorrow's video is gonna be the last batch of info we get.

Dec 21, 2018
Can't have a Pokémon thread without it devolving into shit talking about starters or other Pokémon in general. Oh, and I have a Delphox and it's great. The Chesnaught line is fine too.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
If they reveal the final forms, it will be on a trailer the same week the game releases, maybe a week before. It's the final piece of hype they can drop on us.