• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah I was corrected above, thanks though.

Personally I'm just straight up surprised that a backwards ass system of having ranked battled tied to a website all this time has so far been more reliable then just online through NSO.
You realise there had been multiple glitches throughout the 9 years where ratings got delayed or bugged on the Global Link right?

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
This is so bizarre, guess that I am lucky it took me a while to perfect my team so I'm only great ball tier.

OP
OP
Theorymon

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Then you should be waiting until they react to the bug instead of making an exaggerated thread with the title "the latest controversy" where it's just a simple glitch, for now and nobody has gotten banned.

I don't understand this, its a bug that's causing controversy in the competitive community. Why wouldn't I talk about it now when its causing panic over there?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think the issue is certain people in the fan base freaking out, ready with stakes and to drop the entire series over a bug during maintenance. People are so damn privileged in the gaming community and expect everything to work immediately, and if something doesn't, it was done with malicious intent and it's anti consumer.

This shit is tiring and I have no problem with people calling it out.
if it's working for other people, why shouldn't people who reached that tier before maintenance be angry? people are paying money for nso, and it is hard to get to that level of play. it is weird as hell to be calling out people affected by it and being more worried about word usage than the actual end result of paying players not being able to play their games.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No the current state would be similar, but also different if the wording differs from an actual ban message when compared to a general communication error. The End state of being banned, especially permanently banned, is entirely different from a current communication error.

Having differences Literally implies that they are not "literally identical "...
Literally nobody cares about the exact wording on the error message. That's literally irrelevant. The end result I'm talking about is that this subset of players can't access ranked battles

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does his error message say he's banned? Is he incapable of paying other elements online?

No. He's not banned.
Again this article is pure semantics. Whether he was banned erroneously or this is the result of some other system malfunctioning, nothing changes at all for the experience Sejun or myself or any other affected player is dealing with

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Seems like a mistake during the maintenance, not so much an intentional ban. Probably should be fixed soon enough (hopefully with no consequences for those affected).

Oct 25, 2017
because the end result is literally identical regardless of the exact system that's causing this error

Because it makes the pokemon fanbase seem whiny and uninformed, and serves to continue showing how dramatic the gaming community is? I swear some people in this thread would benefit massively in taking a rhetoric class. How you communicate and use of accurate terminology matters a lot more than you think.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Yeah, I think arguing over the word banned is pedantry of the highest order.
They cannot access their stats or modes, legitimately earned, and cannot play ranked battles. That is a problem. Fix it.

--

That said, the competitive community needs to stop freaking the fuck out.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Obviously it's fine to bring this to the attention of the developers but how quickly and gleefully some leap to say they are incompetent, it's quite pathetic.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because it makes the pokemon fanbase seem whiny and uninformed, and serves to continue showing how dramatic the gaming community is? I swear some people in this thread would benefit massively in taking a rhetoric class. How you communicate and use of accurate terminology matters a lot more than you think.
Nobody would be defending this if it was a franchise that wasn't Pokemon. Being super caught up in a trivial semantic difference doesn't make you smart, it makes you an asshole

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Glad I just read three pages of people arguing semantics over this instead of just agreeing that it sucks that people in Master Ball Tier are unable to use the feature of the game they most likely bought it for, lol.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Nobody would be defending this if it was a franchise that wasn't Pokemon. Being super caught up in a trivial semantic difference doesn't make you smart, it makes you an asshole
Actually the general "it's probably a bug, let's wait to see what they say" sentiment is a very common response to problems like these when they occur in other big online games (and they do occur in other big online games a lot).

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
It's more than just building a team, competitive Pokemon is tough and rewarding just from the laddering alone. If all that time is wasted because of a server screw up, and the ratings cant be restored, then that's a major blow to the trust of laddering in my opinion. Whose to say next season, all my hard work planning out teams and competing for a higher ranking won't be wasted because of another screw up? If the ranking system isn't stable, what's the point of even playing the competitive modes online?

I don't think I understand what you're trying to convey here.
Of course, your ranking is meaningful when you're playing a competitive game online. But, by definition, the Pokémon online ladder is temporary : all our rankings will be deleted in 25 days or so.

I don't know when you started laddering on SwSh, but the game has been out for three weeks. If, God forbbids, the rankings can't be restored, you have more time until the end of the season to get a new ranking that you have had so far to get it. And, to be honest, your new ranking will be more accurate as more and more people are able to play.

If all the rankings had been deleted just before the end of the season (December 31st?), it would have been a different conversation.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Plenty of major bugs are controversial in other games. Nobody is defending bugs in say, fallout 76. WHy should Pokemon be different?
This is specificially because nobody is defending bugs that you can describe them as controversial. But maybe this is something lost in translation for me because I am not a native english speaker.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey I was really upset that I couldn't play ranked and that my rank may have been completely erased, but after hearing that the word ban may not be 100% appropriate for the situation that's occuring I've decided that nothing wrong has happened and I have no reason to be upset even though functionality that I'm paying for in a game that I paid for is not working for me

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally nobody cares about the exact wording on the error message. That's literally irrelevant. The end result I'm talking about is that this subset of players can't access ranked battles

There are literally several people that care about people bastardizing the word literally, the hyperbolic use of literally needs to be toned the fuck down.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Downtine because of maintenance means no one can play. A specific group of players unable to access the ranked battles when the majority still can means they ficked up somewhere.
Then let's just wait until the bug gets fixed before jumping to (ridiculous) conclusions like that people are banned permanently :)

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are literally several people that care about people bastardizing the word literally, the hyperbolic use of literally needs to be toned the fuck down.
Oh hey cool, a pointless arguement about the way language use changes over time that won't change anything ever because the vast majority of people don't care, and will literally never care because it's a super pedantic issue that any reasonable person can solve just by keeping context in mind

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Then let's just wait until the bug gets fixed before jumping to (ridiculous) conclusions like that people are banned permanently :)
Nobody here has even once suggested the bans will be permanent because they obviously won't be because it's obviously not intentional because that obviously wouldn't make any fucking sense

synkling

Oct 25, 2017
Florida Man's Land

Most rational people are not saying they've been banned permanently. Shadow bans exist. Temporary bans exist. This was most definitely a mistake, but all the semantics like "wuhhh you weren't BANNED y-you're just,, , unable to play right NOW!!! while everyone ELSE can!!" is wack.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey cool, a pointless arguement about the way language use changes over time that won't change anything ever because the vast majority of people don't care, and will literally never care because it's a super pedantic issue that any reasonable person can solve just by keeping context in mind

reasonable people also don't freak the fuck out over their toys being unavailable for a bit while the bugs get worked out.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
reasonable people also don't freak the fuck out over their toys being unavailable for a bit while the bugs get worked out.
Yes, how dare I be upset that a product I paid for and am continuing to pay for on an ongoing basis isn't working properly. Nevermind the fact that we've been given no official indication of what's been going on or when we can expect an actual fix

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Yes you should, but you should use the correct terms for what has actually happened else you'll look like you're just starting crap

If I paid for a thing, and it's not working, it is not my job to fucking go online and figure out what exact terminology I am supposed to be using so I can earn the permission to complain about thing I paid for not working.

It's absurd to what cultish degree pokemon fans can go. We are having a very prominent figure in pokemon community sitting here and fucking gatekeeping basic consumer rights. Can we all just do a double take and realize that something is very fucking wrong here?

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey I was really upset that I couldn't play ranked and that my rank may have been completely erased, but after hearing that the word ban may not be 100% appropriate for the situation that's occuring I've decided that nothing wrong has happened and I have no reason to be upset even though functionality that I'm paying for in a game that I paid for is not working for me

Clearly a fair representation of people who think you could have used better phrasing. Goodness.

OP
OP
Theorymon

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I understand what you're trying to convey here.
Of course, your ranking is meaningful when you're playing a competitive game online. But, by definition, the Pokémon online ladder is temporary : all our rankings will be deleted in 25 days or so.

I don't know when you started laddering on SwSh, but the game has been out for three weeks. If, God forbbids, the rankings can't be restored, you have more time until the end of the season to get a new ranking that you have had so far to get it. And, to be honest, your new ranking will be more accurate as more and more people are able to play.

If all the rankings had been deleted just before the end of the season (December 31st?), it would have been a different conversation.

That's actually not how it works. It's less a deletion, and more like we get a new season for the ladders, but the records of previous seasons are still retained.

Not to brag (ok actually yes to brag because I don't get to talk about this often here lol), if you look at Global Link for Sun and Moon, you can still see who won previous seasons. So for example, the two things I personally won in gen 7 was Battle Spot Special Season 1, and the Ultra Final Online Competiton.

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/sm/201/#special <--- this is for Battle Spot Special Season 1

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/competitions/4142/ <--- this is for Ultra Final Competiton

Ultra Final Competition happened pretty recently (in October), but Battle Spot Special 1 happened about 2 years ago. Now of course, these will all be gone when Global Link is discontinued in Feburary, but we got very advanced notice of that, so we can get all of our old rankings via screenshots and the likes. Our battling history in the end won't be "lost".

Since it's been specfically mentioned that Pokemon Home will have a leaderboard for Sword and Shield on it, I'm guessing Pokemon Home will replace the global link's duty of showing a leaderboard. So in the end, this bug is totally different than a usual season reset. With a season reset, we still have our old ratings for that season preserved, and start laddering in a different season. For this, if it isn't fixed, our ratings got destroyed for an ongoing season, and that's a huge willcrusher, especially for how hard it to play Pokemon at that high of a rating!

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, how dare I be upset that a product I paid for and am continuing to pay for on an ongoing basis isn't working properly. Nevermind the fact that we've been given no official indication of what's been going on or when we can expect an actual fix

Ever had a neighbor run over to your house because their cable/satellite/internet/cell phone is unavailable?

Typically you ask your annoying neighbor if they've contacted the service provider?

Maybe you should go reach out to TPC customer service, Nintendo Online Customer Service or Gamefreak and get some feedback to share with the rest of us on the situation instead of screaming they banned us go get your pitchforks over and over again.