Deleted member 39450

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Boston, MA
I thought it was great...very touching. Most of the audience was clapping in my showing.

Mainstream media in a nutshell. Grab some tweets and a clickbait headline. Ugh.

Yep. Some randos on Twitter have their knickers in a twist and suddenly it's a headline. Funny how other news outlets like BBC News managed to miss all the controversy.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
I mean, I thought it was a really nice and charming story, and then she freaking ate her child which was so out-of-nowhere and at odds in tone with everything that came before that I couldn't help but laugh. Then it all being a dream/hallucination/metaphor just made the ending fall flat for me. While it's bizarre that some people don't understand the plot and don't even attempt to engage with it, I don't get all the hand-wringing over laughing at the sudden 180 in tone

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
What is? I have no problem with stuff being made not for the majority, I have no problem with it being released before the Incredibles sequel, what I do have a problem with is this line as a hurt defense when said majority is somewhat politely confused.
i agree that the "NOT FOR YOU" excuse is stupid, but also the story is not that hard to grasp if they thought about it for one second. a lot of the "polite confusion" in those screenshots comes off as dismissive, when the theme tackled in the short is a pretty common issue among families.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My theater laughed at the nonsense and strangeness of the short.

The short had a good message but the wrong audience imo.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What is? I have no problem with stuff being made not for the majority, I have no problem with it being released before the Incredibles sequel, what I do have a problem with is this line as a hurt defense when said majority is somewhat politely confused.
I was responding more to your very broad stroke of not including the short in front of the Incredibles 2 if they thought it wasn't for general audiences.

I took your post at face value.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the stark contrast between coming from a culture where family is emphasized and coming from a culture where independence is emphasized is more the reason than race, though race can heavily influences one mindset over the other. So when someone who is more independent sees the mom eating her dumpling son, it's "silly" because why would she do that? Whereas with people from more familial cultures, you can understand the desperateness of the mom to keep the dumpling son close to her that of course she would want to eat him. The fact that she did so is surprising, but in a more depressing way. You understand she did that because either you know your mom or dad have felt that desperation to cling onto you or you have felt that way with your own kids.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I left thinking it was the best Disney animated short, until my brother had to remind me that Paperman existed. That said, it's weird to love it so much then get home to find people yelling on the internet that it's not for me.

kittenbreath

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's two reactions. My theater personally seemed to enjoy it but who am I to say? The Incredibles 2 had a top 5 opening weekend box office tally. Reactions are gonna be all over the place with that kind of audience.

Sorry if it wasn't obvious in my response, but I was trying to back up your point. The evidence that the article presented for this being some sort of widespread cultural misunderstanding is rather anecdotal and unconvincing.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is to say, it's for and meant to be consumed by everyone, but also meant to be especially enjoyed by those who can sympathize with the characters of the story.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Struggling to believe people don't actually 'get' this short, it's not like any of its meaning is hidden in any way.

Is the average person really that much of an idiot? I guess it would explain a lot about the world right now if something like 'Bao' is too complex for folks.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I totally see how americans misunderstood completely the short, im not asian, but reading the article i understand where the author is coming from because it's very similar to mexican culture, so i understood perfectly the context of the story and was able to completely sympathize with the motther character.

But it's not like that in america, americans have this extremely weird tradition of kicking their children out at age 18 that is absolutely baffling to our foreign eyes, i even recently mused about it on my blog, not precisely as a reaction to Bao, but curiously very close to me seeing the movie:

Another thing that seems super fucked up about the USA as a foreigner it's the baffling american tradition of having parents kick out their children at age 18 in an economic climate where is harder than ever to buy a house due to inflated prices, the job market has become ultra hard, people are being crushed by student debt and minimum wage is an absolute joke.

Over here, and most countries i am told, a person is only expected to move out of their family home only when they actually have the economic means to actually sustain themselves, or when they're going to start their own family, it's even not uncommon from parents to expect their children to contribute economically to the house hold rather than moving out, specially because the economy is brutal right now.

It just seems incredibly cruel the idea that at age 18 parents just expect their children to live on their own from nothing in way way harsher conditions than they had growing up.

Altho i focused on the economic side of things, as someone from a culture where families are expected to stay together for longer much like the Author of the article explains, the idea of kicking your child out at age 18 is bizarre to us, and when a person does such a personal story that's deeply rooted on their culture, it's not a surprise that Americans would not understand it one bit.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The short was confusing and strange. I can see why it would disturb a child.

Beautiful animation, but still. Mom makes dumplings, one comes to life but she eats the other identical dumplings. Dumpling grows up and starts acting like a brat so she eats it whole.

The only thing that distinguishes the live dumpling from all of the other food is that it starts moving. You can't tell me this short has the same broad appeal and clear message of most of Pixar's past ones.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
This

And this tweet

Are..weird. The tweets they're calling out aren't even saying it's bad, they just didn't understand the storyline and were confused by the "twist".

The characters in the short could've been any race and those people would've still been confused at the twist.

I hate people like this. The short is for everyone. Just because it has a Chinese person doesn't mean it's only for Chinese people.

I absolutely loved the short. Had me tearing up by the end of it. I wish it was available online to rewatch

Beautiful animation, but still. Mom makes dumplings, one comes to life but she eats the other identical dumplings. Dumpling grows up and starts acting like a brat so she eats it whole.

You can't tell me this has the same broad appeal and clear message of most of Pixar's past shorts.
Is this really all that you got from it or are you trying to simplify it?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
You "joke", but i bet you also dread confirming if anybody has done vore fetish art out of the short.

Because in your heart you know chances are, yes, they have.

You just know there is one of Bao sitting inside of Tails, while Tails is inside of Sonic's stomach, while Samus Aran is being inflated so she can swallow all 3.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
No, I'm isolating the weird bits. I understand the metaphor and I got the emotional message. What I'm saying is the way the story is told is odd and maybe off-putting.
I can understand it being odd and off-putting if you (not you, but in general) stopped watching after she ate the bao. Once her son comes into the picture though it's like a beacon of light and I would think everyone would get it. But alas...

Oct 28, 2017
My wife thought it was super weird and didn't like it at all and she loves Pixar and most of the shorts that come before the feature. I thought it was quirky at first but it came together in the end.

Eating her dumpling son was super freaky weirdo stuff, symbolism be damned.

May 26, 2018
I wonder if people who don't understand it are sort of disconnected from the concept of deep parental love. Either they don't get their own parents' feelings, or aren't parents themselves, or their parents were absent from their lives in some manner.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
My youngest didn't take to it well. I can see how the message is moving upon reflection but that twist came out of nowhere and is not poetic to an 8 year old. She saw a parental figure snap and lash out with terminal violence. Her subsequent shock has soured me on what is, undoubtedly, a brave and interesting vignette if considered without this context.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had absolutely no idea that there was an ounce of controversy over this short. I found it charming and very moving. The best thing Pixar has done in over a decade.

The internet is weird.

I'm with you there since I married into the culture I could relate. Kicking your kids out at 18 (especially girls) is abhorrent to my in-laws.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
it is a weird way, as far as modern western audiences go, to tell a tale. It would fit right in with old school fairy tales though. Probably an issue of presentation. People were expecting a cute something or other for the kids, not a deeper emotional something for adults.

Peristerium

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not surprised. It was a bit too metaphorical and depressing for what was beforehand just a fun silly story about a walking food.

Also, the director did a poor job of making it clear that the walking bao portion of the film was just a dream/nightmare.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Thought it was extremely creepy. Especially when kids organs kept falling out. Good to hear it was creepy on purpose

I dont see how this requires "Bao: EXPLAINED!!!!! ALL EASTER EGGS YOU MISSED" level of analysis

Last edited:

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised. It was a bit too metaphorical and depressing for what was beforehand just a fun silly story about a walking food.

Also, the director did a poor job of making it clear that the walking bao portion of the film was just a dream/nightmare.

Lol what. It was more than obvious at the end. Before the son reveal tho you werent supposed to know is was a dream/nightmare.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
People in my theater were like, "What did I just watch?" "What the hell happened?" "Ok?" "That was weird." I don't want to think the average person is cold but I was in disbelief by the reactions.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded

The only thing that distinguishes the live dumpling from all of the other food is that it starts moving. You can't tell me this short has the same broad appeal and clear message of most of Pixar's past ones.

Wait, she eats it out of anger?

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, she eats it out of anger?

No, because he wants to leave with his new wife. She wants him so much for himself she ends up eating him - which she obviously immedately regrets. About 20 to 30 seconds later it's of course revealed as a big metaphor for her experience with her real son when he finally comes back.

Also, It's OK if kids get scared or emotional from media. Pixar's Coco literally was about
a man murdering his best friend out of greed, ending with his grand-grand-son singing his dying great-grandmother who also suffers form Alzheimers the song she remembers from her childhood to make her remember the father she never saw again after he left when she was a child. THAT shit was fucked up.
And you know what? That's OK.

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even understand how it's possible to not get it. It's not even some super Asian-specific theme.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I feel really stupid saying it but when I saw it I thought the main character was a boy living with his grandpa and at the end his dad, who had run off to live with his white girlfriend, came back into his life. So yeah, I totally missed pretty much everything about it. Looking back its obviously a mom but to be fair in my Dolby screen they totally skipped all the previews so everyone was still settling in and talking and suddenly the short started with no previews (except the cast talk) so lot of distractions going on. Also the food on screen looked amazing so I got super distracted by that thinking of when and where we could have dim sum.

Its a fine short, its just weird putting it in front of Incredibles 2 since most (all?) of the shorts before the kids pixars movies have been very light hearted. Still better than that insanely long Frozen "short" before Coco, that thing was torture.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Someone waking up from a fantastical scenario and seeing an image from their dream before rubbing their eyes and revealing a person somehow metaphorically related to the dream is an incredibly common trope. It's blowing my mind that people didn't get this.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
No, because he wants to leave with his new wife. She wants him so much for himself she ends up eating him - which she obviously immedately regrets. About 20 to 30 seconds later it's of course revealed as a big metaphor for her experience with her real son when he finally comes back.

Well that's pretty plain and expected.

At first I thought she accidentally ate him, like she wasn't paying attention and he wandered on her plate...

Then I thought she just got tired of his shit and just Merced him. I was all damn.

Ixzion

Nov 7, 2017
I can understand that it was a metaphor at the end, but at the pivotal moment, I was horrified. It was so out of left field based on everything else that it seemed like the main character just committed murder in an animated short.

I thought the short itself was very well-done, though.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even understand how it's possible to not get it. It's not even some super Asian-specific theme.
I swear I don't get what people are going on about

What culture nauce? The culture nauce of a mother missing her son? The theme of this short is not specific to any culture, it's a theme that's applicable to every culture. Like I said in my earlier post in this thread, it's really weird that people are calling out others not even because they're saying the short is bad but just that they didn't understand it and then trying to make it about them being racially biased.

Feels like I'm taking crazy pills over here.

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the short was really cute.
There really shouldn't be any controversy over the ending.
Like, it was shocking, but relatively tame compared to some other emotional moments in other Disney animated works.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen the short but my mom did and she also had a lot of questions about it. So after reading a bit about it I guess I can see where it's easy to get confused (and that's not a "you never went through this in life, so you won't get it" thing). She had the same feelings brought up as she saw her kids start leaving the home (we had long discussions in the past how it was seeing all her kids go, some having kids of their own and her empty nest syndrome) but even then I guess the short didn't do as good of a job conveying this? It could still be a touching short but for some it just wasn't enough of something to really trigger the empathy and understanding for what the mother in the story was going through with the absence of her son. Dunno. I'll have to wait awhile to actually watch it.