Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I find it incredibly ironic that white people get shit for using the blanket statement "Asian Culture" (instead of Chinese, Vietnamese etc.) and yet some of those tweets and responses in here are using it quite freely to explain why some viewers "didn't get it" because they're white.

There is no consistency with this shit at all.
But chinese, viatnamese, singaporeans or many asian countries tend to have some similarities in term of parent and children connection. As an asian myself, I could feel it that way as my singaporean and taiwan friends also experience similar stuff

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When I watched it I was under the impression that the dumpling never actually came to life and it was all wish fulfillment/a daydream on the mother's part.
Then when the "thing" happens, that was representative of the mom's fears that she pushed her kid away. So I wasn't horrified or confused by it at all.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
the short was directed by an asian american woman who probably understands your last point and probably purposefully chose to subvert expectations and help normalize something that isn't usually seen but does exist

more feathers we ruffle the better

She's Asian Canadian though.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I laughed when the mom ate the Bao because of the heel-turn shock of her murdering her son which the short had established she loved until that point. The reason she ate him out of wanting him to stay with her didn't click with me at first.

Once the real son showed up though the metaphor clicked and contexualized for me what happened.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Maybe they should do one and replace the dumpling with a chicken nugget.

Hmmm.. but it means you have to get the title changed since the title bao comes from the word 抱 which means dumpling (and also i think it is a pun to 宝贝 bao pei which means darling)

You read both of them like pao, not bao

syncyes

Oct 27, 2017
I'm first-gen Chinese American and I watched it with my Mom and teared up a little bit at the end. Had to surreptitiously wipe away my tears :P

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
It was great. It hit me quite hard. I'm pretty sure most people, western or other-wise, gets the dumpling metaphor in Bao.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why people didn't get it... I thought it made sense by the end of it.

However...

When she ate him and was crying in the bedroom, I thought this was going to be about a miscarriage or something and partially wondered if this was a loss.jpg thing. A few seconds later I was obviously wrong about that, but I was definitely thinking it was about a miscarriage at first.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
You can tell who's a Western raised White person and who's not a parent. Bao isn't about keeping your child at home. its about a parents fear of losing touch with their child as they grow up.

Fundamentally disagree. I was raised in a very traditional household, and there's strong pressure for the son to stay at home until marriage and to help take care of the family. In Bao, the son grows up in Western society and wants to live in the other culture he so desires.

That, in a nutshell, is what a lot of first-generation Chinese immigrants face.

At the end, it's also implied that the son and fiancee move in with the parents too.

It's similar in my family too. I think it has something to do with dexterity being a lesser priority for most men over strength.

Or we just all have fat fingertips.

Hey
my fingers are nice and pointed from years of piano ;P

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
My 9 year old blurted out "She had to do it." Made us all crack up that he thought that was the best way to handle that situation.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
This

And this tweet

Are..weird. The tweets they're calling out aren't even saying it's bad, they just didn't understand the storyline and were confused by the "twist".

The characters in the short could've been any race and those people would've still been confused at the twist.

The "this wasn't made for you" mentality is weird anyway. If Bao "wasn't made" for people of different cultures yhan Asian ones, why did they decide to show it worldwide before one of the most anticipated films this year?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
That tweet is technically right in that Bao was made for Asian-American audiences. The same way Coco was made for Latinx audiences.
Eh, I'd argue this is not the case. Bao and Coco are heavily representing those cultures, but they aren't made "for" those cultures. These are not some sort of indie films that are released in specialized markets, these are major Disney films (or in case of Bao, a film that's attached to a major Disney film), the goal of these companies is to create films that are able to be widely loved with people from all cultures and all races.

For instance, Coco is a film based around the Dia de los Muertos, a very Mexican thing obviously, but the main themes of the movie are not uniquely Mexican things. Same with Bao, the main themes are not uniquely Asian, everybody should be able to recognize and identify with these themes.

Oct 29, 2017
Fundamentally disagree. I was raised in a very traditional household, and there's strong pressure for the son to stay at home until marriage and to help take care of the family. In Bao, the son grows up in Western society and wants to live in the other culture he so desires.

That, in a nutshell, is what a lot of first-generation Chinese immigrants face.

At the end, it's also implied that the son and fiancee move in with the parents too.

This is the case in tons of other non-American cultures as well. Most Latino/Hispanic cultures, Indian culture, etc. I think it's more or less universal in first-generation immigrant families that come to the US. I would say American culture with respect to kids not living at home before marriage is kind of in the minority when comparing it to how most cultures around the world work.

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
I come from a Chinese family - and got married earlier in the year , leaving my parents home of more than 30 years. I could relate from the mothers point of view.

Lo-Fi

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't see how this represents any sort of consensus either. A few people said "wtf was that" on twitter? That's hardly representative of any sort of actual opinion. You can find reactions like that to almost any sort of media.

The article takes a few Twitter users stories and uses it to seem like this short faces stark polarization.

This is true, but you've also described 25% of news articles over the past few years.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'd argue this is not the case. Bao and Coco are heavily representing those cultures, but they aren't made "for" those cultures. These are not some sort of indie films that are released in specialized markets, these are major Disney films (or in case of Bao, a film that's attached to a major Disney film), the goal of these companies is to create films that are able to be widely loved with people from all cultures and all races.

For instance, Coco is a film based around the Dia de los Muertos, a very Mexican thing obviously, but the main themes of the movie are not uniquely Mexican things. Same with Bao, the main themes are not uniquely Asian, everybody should be able to recognize and identify with these themes.
These all can be enjoyed by everyone but there's a special feeling when something is specifically made to represent you and your culture. Yeah, every single person can relate to empty nest syndrome but it's cool to see how it's viewed from an Asian perspective.

Oct 25, 2017
i loves this but hated the people in front of me who obnoxiously yelled Awwwwwww at every remotely cute thing in the short and film. Just maddening.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
These all can be enjoyed by everyone but there's a special feeling when something is specifically made to represent you and your culture. Yeah, every single person can relate to empty nest syndrome but it's cool to see how it's viewed from an Asian perspective.
I don't disagree with that, but it feels disingenuous to say to critics that 'it wasn't made for them' so their opinion doesn't count. If it turns out that this short is misunderstood or disliked by a lot of people not from a specific culture (which I'm not saying it is, because this article is biased as shit) Pixar has failed on some level.

I know a lot of films that are clearly only made with a specific audience and cultures in mind where the argument 'Well, you're not from that culture' would actually be a valid retort to people not fully getting it, but big budget Pixar features and shorts are not those films.

Eddie

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
From the reactions to the short either they don't or apparently can't reognize it.

Wtf is this?

Dude...it's not a metaphor that is cultural specific. That doesn't mean solely white people didn't get it....any individual of any race, culture, etc might have not gotten it if they were dense enough.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree with that, but it feels disingenuous to say to critics that 'it wasn't made for them' so their opinion doesn't count. If it turns out that this short is misunderstood or disliked by a lot of people not from a specific culture (which I'm not saying it is, because this article is biased as shit) Pixar has failed on some level.

I know a lot of films that are clearly only made with a specific audience and cultures in mind where the argument 'Well, you're not from that culture' would actually be a valid retort to people not fully getting it, but big budget Pixar features and shorts are not those films.
Well, imo, I think this short fit well within Pixar's quality. Maybe some people wanting to feel good going into an Incredibles sequel and not sad.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
There were quite a few gasps when she ate him, I'm sure at least most of the people I saw Incredibles 2 with got it the dumpling being a metaphor for her actual son. People are dumb.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why people didn't get it... I thought it made sense by the end of it.

However...

When she ate him and was crying in the bedroom, I thought this was going to be about a miscarriage or something and partially wondered if this was a loss.jpg thing. A few seconds later I was obviously wrong about that, but I was definitely thinking it was about a miscarriage at first.

Oh, man, now I'm disappointed this wasn't the first professional loss.gif parody lol

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen this short, but what exactly is eating her dumpling "son" a metaphor for? Smothering her real son and not letting him leave?

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This

And this tweet

Are..weird. The tweets they're calling out aren't even saying it's bad, they just didn't understand the storyline and were confused by the "twist".

The characters in the short could've been any race and those people would've still been confused at the twist.

I don't get it. Isn't it made for any mother who had to let a child go, and every child who had to leave? I.e. almost everyone?

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how this represents any sort of consensus either. A few people said "wtf was that" on twitter? That's hardly representative of any sort of actual opinion. You can find reactions like that to almost any sort of media.

The article takes a few Twitter users stories and uses it to seem like this short faces stark polarization.

Welcome to modern journalism. Clickbait bullshit and manufactured news is how things works these days.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The "this wasn't made for you" mentality is weird anyway. If Bao "wasn't made" for people of different cultures yhan Asian ones, why did they decide to show it worldwide before one of the most anticipated films this year?
Yeah, it's a strange sentiment.

How would people react if a white guy said "I'm not going to watch this short movie because it was made for Asians and not me"?

Last edited:

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have no idea why people are acting like race was an integral part of this. You could replace the Asian family with a white one and the dumpling with a hamburger, and people still would have been confused because we don't typically anticipate mothers consuming their children in parenthood metaphors.

The confusion has nothing to do with culture, but with common narrative expectations. The "this is not for you!" stuff makes absolutely no sense, and I seriously wonder if those people even saw the short.