Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Let's see how to word this. The theme of a mother missing her son is not specific to any culture. But certain cultures (Chinese, Indian, Mexican are what I can personally think of) do have a certain level of 'enmeshment' which feels higher than what is usually reflected in American culture (or media - maybe I shouldn't conflate the two). It feels a little more difficult for the kids to make their parents think of them as another adult/as a separate entity. There are expectations to have the parents involved in major life decisions even when the child is much older. The status quo is still of 'one family unit'. This struggle is exacerbated when there is the 1st/2nd generation immigrant struggle brought in too.

So maybe that's why the short speaks a little more to certain cultures.

Ding ding ding we have a winner

Saw this with two of my friends and we're all Chinese American, so we immediately knew what was going on.

Luckily I had a good audience and they seemed to like it too. And honestly I don't know how some non Asians didn't grasp the theme.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have no idea why people are acting like race was an integral part of this. You could replace the Asian family with a white one and the dumpling with a hamburger, and people still would have been confused because we don't typically anticipate mothers consuming their children in parenthood metaphors.

The confusion has nothing to do with culture, but with common narrative expectations. The "this is not for you!" stuff makes absolutely no sense, and I seriously wonder if those people even saw the short.
When the parenthood metaphor involves a smothering mother and kid who's food? Like what is the ultimate way of keeping the kid with her? Jesus fucking christ, this is not Tolstoy.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Really? Is it that hard to understand?
I'm not Asian, but not for a second I thought "yea, this doesn't relate to me at all and I don't get it".
People in the theatre laughed, but I'm not surprised anymore since the first experience in a US theatre I ever had had people bursting out laughing for Deadpool lowest brow jokes. Embarassing.

Still,
the eating scene was truly fucked up. Horror level idea, and I assume it's not a "cultural" thing. So no, I don't think the "polarized reactions" are rooted in "culture". It's a cute metaphor that got fucked up really quickly. Like it or not.

Last edited:

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Considering most Asian-Americans seemed to have immediately gotten the message, I'm not saying it's a race thing but, there's a lot of white people that didn't get it.

Is there some spiritual/cultural relationship between bao buns and children that a Western culture simply wouldn't grasp?
If you made this exact short with a white/black woman making cupcakes wouldn't the overall idea/message be similar?

Granted, I was a bit confused at a piece of food being taken in and loved like a child until the reveal came. Then it made sense.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there some spiritual/cultural relationship between bao buns and children that a Western culture simply wouldn't grasp?
If you made this exact short with a white/black woman making cupcakes wouldn't the overall idea/message be similar?

Granted, I was a bit confused at a piece of food being taken in and loved like a child until the reveal came. Then it made sense.

There's a cultural difference where the West has this ideal of independence and self-reliance unlike the East. Its more than the visual theme of this short video.

I got a feeling you ain't feeling the message of the short video.

Noctilum

Nov 28, 2017
My family and I were disturbed by the ending but quickly forgot about the whole short once the movie started.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

The first thing I thought of when I thought of this short being in a different culture was that the concept of motherhood and an empty nest is pretty universal (though Asian cultures and some others may have a more specific old school tie between parents and kids), and that man the scene where the mom is suspicious of the girlfriend of another race wouldn't fly. Like you're only going to be accepted if you're good at stuff we like? (I realize this wasn't the point of it and that it probably does accurately represent a lot of Asian moms, but it still represents racism to some degree)

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
There's a cultural difference where the West has this ideal of independence and self-reliance unlike the East. Its more than the visual theme of this short video.

I got a feeling you ain't feeling the message of the short video.

As a parent the short resonated with me by the end, yes. Don't think I have to be of Asian culture to have that feeling.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The first thing I thought of when I thought of this short being in a different culture was that the concept of motherhood and an empty nest is pretty universal (though Asian cultures and some others may have a more specific old school tie between parents and kids), and that man the scene where the mom is suspicious of the girlfriend of another race wouldn't fly. Like you're only going to be accepted if you're good at stuff we like? (I realize this wasn't the point of it and that it probably does accurately represent a lot of Asian moms, but it still represents racism to some degree)

The mum isn't resenting her because of her skin color. The mum is simply worried of various problems arising with interracial marriage due to cultural differences like language barrier between both families. She needs time to warm up and know more about his wife. Looking at the context it also seems she's bringing him to live in an entirely new continent in the West, this can also mean he wont return home to see her anymore due to the distance, and might even be the last time she see her dumpling son.

Its not being racism because she isn't looking down at his wife.

Last edited:

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
As a parent the short resonated with me by the end, yes. Don't think I have to be of Asian culture to have that feeling.

Nobody thinks you have to be.

Suggesting that some people didn't get it because they're not part of the culture is not the same thing as saying you absolutely won't get it if you aren't.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just took the short as a story of a mother sad that her son never comes to visit anymore.

I didn't expect the eating scene though. That was honestly kinda messed up, until it was revealed(?) the dough boy was most likely never real and a personification of her missing her son.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The mum isn't resending her because of her skin color. The mum is simply worried of various problems arising with interracial marriage due to cultural differences like language barrier between both families. She needs time to warm up and know more about his wife. Looking at the context it also seems she's bringing him to live in an entirely new continent in the West, this can also mean he wont return home to see her anymore due to the distance, and might even be the last time she see her dumpling son.

I didn't get the part about a new continent, I figured everyone was already in America (Canada, I guess). I realize the underlying concept is that the girlfriend/wife is taking the son away, and like I said, I understand that.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
The mum isn't resenting her because of her skin color. The mum is simply worried of various problems arising with interracial marriage due to cultural differences like language barrier between both families. She needs time to warm up and know more about his wife. Looking at the context it also seems she's bringing him to live in an entirely new continent in the West, this can also mean he wont return home to see her anymore due to the distance, and might even be the last time she see her dumpling son.

The short takes place in Canada, so the "new continent in the West" aspect of your interpretation isn't accurate.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The short takes place in Canada, so the "new continent in the West" aspect of your interpretation isn't accurate.
I always thought it take place in a Western country. But either way, the point still stand

I didn't get the part about a new continent, I figured everyone was already in America (Canada, I guess). I realize the underlying concept is that the girlfriend/wife is taking the son away, and like I said, I understand that.

well yah. Just that her mum disapproving her isnt due to being racism, its because the mum barely know her and her culture. Thats why they were sitting together to make bao by the end. They were closer together by then

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how this represents any sort of consensus either. A few people said "wtf was that" on twitter? That's hardly representative of any sort of actual opinion. You can find reactions like that to almost any sort of media.

The article takes a few Twitter users stories and uses it to seem like this short faces stark polarization.
This type of article is very common. And also very flawed because if you search hard enough on Twitter you can find posts to suit any narrative. Basically confirmation bias at work.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
This type of article is very common. And also very flawed because if you search hard enough on Twitter you can find posts to suit any narrative. Basically confirmation bias at work.
Over time you learn the short hand for these sorts of lazy "Five people on Twitter said a thing" articles.

"___ said ____ and people are NOT happy about it!"

"The Internet went crazy today!"

"____ said ____, instantly regretted it!"

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Just got back from the movie. Easily one of Pixar's best shorts, if not the best. You don't need to be Asian to understand nor enjoy it. Posting dumbshit teenager tweets is meaningless. The argument that it may be too mature/shocking for some kids before a kids movie is fair, but not one I'd agree with. Great short.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I though it was pretty obvious what message they were going for with this short.

Also, when

The mom eats the lil' dumpling and starts crying, a little boy in the audience asked loudly "Mommy, did that mommy eat the baby?"

That got a big chuckle from me.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
As an Asian American who had a fall out with my own mother over dating a white girl at the time along with many others, I loved it. The only thing I heard from my theater was a kid asking his mommy why weren't they watching Incredibles. Must be his first Pixar movie at the theaters lol.