• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
The way I see it, if they release a new console in late 2022 or early 2023, it's definitely going to be treated and marketed as part of the "Switch family" (think something along the lines of the Game Boy Color or the New 3DS), even if from a technical standpoint the thing is effectively advanced enough to be considered the Switch successor. I could even see them applying the rationale of it not being their "true" next gen console per se because it's an extension of the Switch concept rather than something with a new concept/gimmick.

In that scenario, I could see it retaining the momentum of the current Switch and maybe even extending its life until 2026 or so (at which point, the Switch family would likely had become the most succesful dedicated gaming hardware line ever, surpassing both the DS and the PS2).

Mind you, all of this is still a really big "IF" and until Nintendo doesn't announce anything officially, I think it's better to continue treating it as speculation and rumor, rather than getting your hopes up.

what about Switch Advance

I honestly like this name for a Switch successor, not going to lie.

Although, if it's treated as part of the Switch family, I presume it will be named something along the lines of "Switch 4K model" or "Switch Ultra HD model".

Oct 28, 2017
nsa-letter-original-monogram-logo-design-700-211416551.jpg

NINTENDO SWITCH ADVANCE

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
With the ramblings of dev kits being available since late 2020, we might hear about this earlier than most think.
I just hope old games will have a slight boost on it, especially those with dynamic resolution.

A part of me still wonders if it could be announced for March 2023, with BoTW 2 launching on both the Switch and the Switch successor.

Nov 2, 2017
Just call it a switch 2. They've never used pure numbers for a Nintendo console. It's immediately clear to consumers it's a new a thing

Assuming it's a new thing of course

edwardvh

Dec 11, 2018
Love when the speculation starts going bonkers on the power of the rumor.

I still remember when the Switch was going to be a Tegra X2 or whatever. This always ends up in two GC ducktaped together guys...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love when the speculation starts going bonkers on the power of the rumor.

I still remember when the Switch was going to be a Tegra X2 or whatever. This always ends up in two GC ducktaped together guys...
the difference before and now is we have explicit references from Nvidia's own data

Dec 2, 2020
So in a perfect world, 10W portable, 1.2TFs maybe, 25-30W docked, 2.5-3TFs maybe? I am not an expert so correct me if my hopes and dreams are inaccurate lol

Oh I'm no expect either mate but I do know from history that Nintendo will prioritise battery life more than other companies. If we have specs then the lowest possible clocks is what I would personally expect. I don't care because of DLSS.

Even the current Switch would be massively more impressive if it had it and just ran most games at 540p native up to 1080p DLSS when docked.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I'm no expect either mate but I do know from history that Nintendo will prioritise battery life more than other companies. If we have specs then the lowest possible clocks is what I would personally expect. I don't care because of DLSS.

Even the current Switch would be massively more impressive if it had it and just ran most games at 540p native up to 1080p DLSS when docked.
Eh, OG Switch and 3DS didn't had stellar battery life.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So in a perfect world, 10W portable, 1.2TFs maybe, 25-30W docked, 2.5-3TFs maybe? I am not an expert so correct me if my hopes and dreams are inaccurate lol
that 10W for portable would have to encompass everything (SoC, memory, screen, wireless, etc). with the same same battery as the switch, we're looking at 1.6 hours of battery in the worse case scenario. so it'd probably be lower than 10W or the battery would be larger

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
that 10W for portable would have to encompass everything (SoC, memory, screen, wireless, etc). with the same same battery as the switch, we're looking at 1.6 hours of battery in the worse case scenario. so it'd probably be lower than 10W or the battery would be larger
With budget phones having 5000 even 6000 mAh batteries, I could totally see a Switch Pro getting an upgrade there.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Folks, we already know exactly when this will release: alongside BotW2 a week after Horizon VR.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Super Nintendo Switch
Switch Pocket
Switch 64
Switch Color
Switch Advance
Switch Cube
Switch Wii
Switch DS
Switch U
Switch 3D
Switch Switch

That's how Nintendo should name their next line of systems.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
If this is accurate, that's totally successor territory. I don't think it's reasonable to try to get even Nintendo's first party devs to maximise that little beastie while simultaneously making sure that the games would still run on the original Switch.

Sure it's reasonable. Why isn't it?

Nintendo devs are still going to have to target portable mode when this thing has to be severely clocked down to protect from heat and battery drain.

The devs are still going to be targeting 540p-720p rendering targets for every game, I'm pretty sure they will use the same OLED screen they are producing already.

The extra headroom of the DLSS Switch would be used to make the games run and look slightly better on the 7 inch portable screen than the current models.

Basically, the gulf won't be SO wide that they wouldn't also have a version that can run with the fewer cpu cores and RAM. They wouldn't ignore the 80+ million userbase they have who don't care that much about having a portable ps4 pro for Nintendo gaming.

This thing isn't going to be $299. The OLED switch was $350 and that pretty much only had the new screen and a bit more storage space. This Pro version will have that and more.

I guarantee you Nintendo expects the userbase size of this expensive Pro version to represent only ~25% of the Switch family userbase….similar to what the ps4 pro and Xbox One X ended up being.

They aren't going to focus their major games ONLY on such a low userbase system.

3rd party devs can certainly roll those dice though, I'm sure.

This is my pure speculation but, with Zelda BotW 2 and Xeno 3, two open world games, Splatoon 3 a multiplayer game and new Pokémon gen a Switch pro this holiday would make tons of sense.
Let's not forget Monster Hunter Sun brake and Bayo 3!
Except for Mario (I guess Pokémon is in its place) we have all the heavy hitters from 2017 listed.
With a "pro" model this year the Switch really could last until...2026? So Switch being "somewhere in the middle of its lifespan" wouldn't end up being a lie. Kinda.

And anyway, we'll know if a "upgrade" is really happening since production needs to start very soon, no?

This could easily lengthen the Switch lifespan to 2026/2027. That seems to be its purpose, quite frankly.

And mass production would have to start By July/August…at the latest…for this thing to come out during the holiday

Super Nintendo Switch sounds soooooo lame in 2022. Just as bad as calling it Switch 64 or something.

Power Switch

P-Switch_NSMB2.png

People can call it P-Switch if they want :P

And then they can have a Power Lite Switch version

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god no pro folks cmon. I mean sure it might happen but at this point just make it next gen. Doesn't mean switch 1 has to die anytime soon.

If it's 8 cores @2Ghz, 1-1.5TFs, and 8GB+ it would be shame to waste that on a pro and just minor updates to games imo

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
SUPER Nintendo Switch or Switch Advance, either of those would be perfect.

From what I gather, the chip for Nintendo might have 1024 cuda cores (half the number that the main Orin SoC has; 2048). That would still be 4x the amount the Tegra X1 has (256).

Depending on GPU clocks, it sounds like the next Switch would have enough GPU grunt to run games similar to a base PS4/XbBone, in portable mode and PS4 Pro level in docked mode thanks to DLSS.

Expecting 8 GB of 128-bit LPDDR5 or 5X, allowing for 100+ GB/sec memory bandwidth.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Comparable to 3050 is surprising however I do wonder if the difference in Samsung 8nm -> TSMC 7nm is that big.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
this won't be close to the 3050. it'd be more similar to the 2050. but still less cores and a lower clock
Yea idk how much I believe those specs. At the end of the day, I just want better third party support. If we got a Switch 2 with achievements, social features, and a lot of third party games hitting it.. it would easily become my main system.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Super Switch" I think is more likely than "Super Nintendo Switch" because "Super Nintendo" has no meaning in Japan really, also you probably don't want some random people being confused about this being a portable SNES (lol). They won't use "Switch 2"

But it seems to me that Nintendo is not planning on leaving the existing 100+ million Switch users because they've identified console transitions as something they are bad at and bad for business. So I think the bulk of Nintendo's output even for the next 4-5 years will be simply made for Switch first and then with higher resolution (4K docked) and maybe some added graphical effects for Super Switch.

Could maybe see VR being a thing on this new model too, taking Labo VR up several notches and having things like VR mode for Metroid Prime 4 and Mario Kart 9 (which will be on Switch 1 would be my guess, just with lower resolution and graphical effects). So they could do that, Super Switch has VR mode and 4K graphics for certain games, regular Switch has neither.

3rd parties ... yeah probably some Super Switch exclusives here like Street Fighter VI, FFVII Remake Intergrade port, stuff like that but I wouldn't be counting on like all major PS5/XBSX games. Funny thing is maybe Nintendo will finally get some COD games with Activision under Microsoft's management.

Could be kind of like a DS "third pillar" situation where Nintendo didn't want to commit to DS being the defacto GBA successor until it proved itself sales wise. So I think if this new Switch model doesn't sell as well as Nintendo hopes, then they'll just call it a revision of the OG Switch, if it does sell very well, then it will function as the successor.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
From what I gather, the chip for Nintendo might have 1024 cuda cores (half the number that the main Orin SoC has; 2048). That would still be 4x the amount the Tegra X1 has (256).

The leak specifically related that it has 12 SM's. So that means whatever this is has up to 1536 CUDA cores for usage.

It's a bit more powerful than what you were guesstimating.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
So, I see an announcement late this year. It wouldn't make much sense to prolong the usage of the current Switch Hardware.

2024 is too long and I don't think they will have the mind share anymore for that. It would be too late and risking the same brand devaluation that happened to the Wii. They should release new product line in the Switch brand to keep it going. Switch 2 as early as possible is better.

The PS3 towards the end of It's life cycle was getting some of the best looking games at that time(last of us mostly) was able to generate mind share for a longer period, also helped set the stage for what to expect on PS4.
The Switch won't have such graphical breakthroughs and new hardware is the solution

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Sorry I've not been keeping up, but isn't it possible this switch successor has been cancelled? Due to the chip shortages?

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I've not been keeping up, but isn't it possible this switch successor has been cancelled? Due to the chip shortages?

Unless I'm misinterpreting something, the leaked source code files for DLSS on the next Switch's graphics API were last modified February 21st. Seems like it would be a short window for cancellation at this point.

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
God, I'd love to have a switch with dlss support. It just seems like it would be the perfect fit for a handheld.