roccerfeller

Apr 29, 2021
People in here acting like Nintendo doesn't usually have BC are making me roll my eyes.The only times it's been removed are when the HW form factor has changed so much its no longer possible

No kidding. They have had a very good track record for this, especially for their handhelds

GBA -> GB
DS/lite -> GBA

Wii -> GC
Wii U -> Wii

3ds -> ds

that's pretty comprehensive.

Obviously they had to reset with the Switch, but backwards compatibility is not a forge in concept to Nintendo at all

roccerfeller

Apr 29, 2021
Calling it now, Nintendo will release another device sometime. I mean at this point we are just playing darts here. A new console will come and we will probably see a bit more info than a few letter code, nothing to get excited about here, IMO.

well, the exciting part is what was revealed in this leak with respect to what the purported next switch will support. Ray tracing on such a small device is kind of a shock to me.

Oct 27, 2017
No kidding. They have had a very good track record for this, especially for their handhelds

GBA -> GB
DS/lite -> GBA

Wii -> GC
Wii U -> Wii

3ds -> ds

that's pretty comprehensive.

Obviously they had to reset with the Switch, but backwards compatibility is not a forge in concept to Nintendo at all
Technically the Wii U could play GC games, it just didn't have the minidisc drive, but the HW was there (since GC through Wii U use the same chipset family...at the expense of how the Wii U could've performed otherwise)

roccerfeller

Apr 29, 2021
But let's not forget that it will probally be downclocked for heat, so it will not get that performace. Unless the chip is very cool when fully used.
would dlss also be handy to bring sub 720p games in handheld mode to 720p?

even with a down clock akin to the X1 in the switch, that is still beefy and a solid successor to the switch.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Nate stated the new Switch is still planned to release in late 2022, but might slip into early 2023.

So yeah, it's coming soon.

Oct 27, 2017
well, the exciting part is what was revealed in this leak with respect to what the purported next switch will support. Ray tracing on such a small device is kind of a shock to me.
Oh sure I agree. I even for tegra x1 which is now 6+ years old, it's still impressive for what it could do at the time compared newer Steam Deck. It will be interesting to see what comes of it when it is finally released. But until we have some sort of actual announcement from Nintendo everything at this point seems to be speculation as far as specs go.

Metal Gear?!

Jun 26, 2020
Wait what? I had a Nintendo DS and don't remember this. In fact I remember it had pretty rough edges due to its low resolution.
I was reading this article and it says in the comparisons with 64 the DS its rasterizer created aliasing on far textures.
www.copetti.org

Nintendo DS Architecture | A Practical Analysis

An in-depth analysis that explains how this console works internally
No texture filtering, so textures get super aliased, but anti-aliasing on the polygon edges themselves.

It's not. There's a register to enable / disable it, so it depends on the game. Super Mario 64 DS, for example does not use AA in the main game.
I used the wrong terminology then. I should say "on by default"

Last edited:

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Probably a lot of the games that we are getting this year were planned for 2020/2021/2022 but COVID happened and were internally delayed.

Could be. I won't pretend to know how Covid has effected Nintendo's workflow. What i'm speculating on is that all the teams releasing this year will be starting a brand new game after the release. That game will likely take at minimum 2-3 years to finish depending on scope. So in that way somewhere between 2024 and 2026 (but closer to 2026)is when another year like this could be reasonably expected.

The Wii was already on a steep decline well before the Wii U and people generally didn't like the concept behind the Wii U. It's not an analogous situation

Hopefully its more like if a Wii HD or a Wii 2 was released in 2011 With Galaxy 2, Skyward Sword, Sports Resort and the Motion + Joycons. That system would have sold incredibly well.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
It just hit me. This may be their home console extension of the series, which pays homage to a formerly loved iteration:

Nintendo Switch^3

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The 12 SMs suggest a much more powerful device than we expected. For a long time we were debating 4-8 SMs.

snesiscool

Feb 15, 2018
A 1660ti is a more appropriate comparison then.
I have a 1660 Super, which has only 1408 CUDA cores. The thought of a Nintendo console with a better GPU core than my gaming PC is incredibly exciting, especially since it will also have DLSS and possibly raytracing. And it's Ampere based rather than Turing. The only problem with this comparison is that (assuming no dedicated memory for the GPU) unless Nintendo is willing to pay the premium, the Switch successor will almost certainly not use GDDR6 memory like the 1660 Super or Ti, or PS5/XS, although I won't rule out GDDR5 (for comparison, the Wii of all consoles used 64 MB of GDDR3, which was the previous GDDR generation at time of release). I really hope Nintendo doesn't cheap out and go with (LP)DDR4(X); that would be a disaster and the GPU would never be used to its full potential (unless it somehow has extra onboard memory).

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I have a 1660 Super, which has only 1408 CUDA cores. The thought of a Nintendo console with a better GPU core than my gaming PC is incredibly exciting, especially since it will also have DLSS and possibly raytracing. And it's Ampere based rather than Turing. The only problem with this comparison is that (assuming no dedicated memory for the GPU) unless Nintendo is willing to pay the premium, the Switch successor will almost certainly not use GDDR6 memory like the 1660 Super or Ti, or PS5/XS, although I won't rule out GDDR5 (for comparison, the Wii of all consoles used 64 MB of GDDR3, which was the previous GDDR generation at time of release). I really hope Nintendo doesn't cheap out and go with (LP)DDR4(X); that would be a disaster and the GPU would never be used to its full potential (unless it somehow has extra onboard memory).

Thankfully at least DLSS is known to reduce RAM requirements. If the Switch 2 is able to match the Steam Deck in RAM, which should really be the bare minimum, hopefully that will be sufficient for portable play at least. Docked mode might be a bit tougher, but they might just have to keep rendering resolutions at 1080p.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Just got an oled in January for Pokémon Legends but will gladly upgrade whenever this comes out. Very excited

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Thankfully at least DLSS is known to reduce RAM requirements. If the Switch 2 is able to match the Steam Deck in RAM, which should really be the bare minimum, hopefully that will be sufficient for portable play at least. Docked mode might be a bit tougher, but they might just have to keep rendering resolutions at 1080p.
I don't think that's true.

I think the issue here is less about how much RAM there will be, but more about it's bandwidth, and from what I understand, any sort of ML/AI workload works best with higher bandwidth.

So hopefully they wont stick with LPDDR4.

Dec 21, 2020
It is highly unlikely to be 4x or 4, as it is a derivative of an existing chip that has LPDDR5 and LPDDR5 memory controller is not compatible with the LPDDR4x memory controller unless it's designed to have that memory controller.

Plus, Nintendo has a tendency to go for expensive ram anyway so…. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Nov 8, 2017

I wonder if investing in a large cache can be a viable path forward, or if the gains in bandwidth are offset by higher power consumption. As an example, RDNA2 GPUs have much lower bandwidth than Ampere cards, but come with a much larger cache (their branding is 'infinity cache' - e.g. 128MB on top end models, 96mb on mid range, and 32mb for the budget offering). This seems to have resulted in good performance until you start significantly ramping up requirements, whereupon the higher conventional bandwidth of the Ampere cards wins out. But for 1080p and 1440 on RDNA 2 it works very well, even if the mid range cards fall behind at 4k or higher.

These kinds of engineering questions are unfortunately well outside of my comfort zone to give deep insights into - just an idle thought.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I don't think that's true.

I think the issue here is less about how much RAM there will be, but more about it's bandwidth, and from what I understand, any sort of ML/AI workload works best with higher bandwidth.

I hadn't heard that - all I heard is

- the lower your resolution the less RAM you need, not just size but also bandwidth, and
- using DLSS lowers your RAM requirements.

If you're right that DLSS demands higher bandwidth then, yeah, I really hope they don't use 4 or 4x. I think that's very unlikely though - I'm sure it'll at least match the Steam Deck. They don't really have a choice there imo - even the Deck has less than 4x the Switch's bandwidth, which was low to begin with.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't heard that - all I heard is

- the lower your resolution the less RAM you need, not just size but also bandwidth, and
- using DLSS lowers your RAM requirements.

If you're right that DLSS demands higher bandwidth then, yeah, I really hope they don't use 4 or 4x. I think that's very unlikely though - I'm sure it'll at least match the Steam Deck. They don't really have a choice there imo - even the Deck has less than 4x the Switch's bandwidth, which was low to begin with.
DLSS doesn't require higher bandwidth. Though compensating for the scaling (as in texture bias and lod bias) may lead to higher bandwidth usage

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
DLSS doesn't require higher bandwidth. Though compensating for the scaling (as in texture bias and lod bias) may lead to higher bandwidth usage

I did hear that - that if you're aiming for DLSS 4K with a render resolution of 1080p or 1440p, you want to set things like geometry and texture settings at the same high levels you would for native 4K. I guess docked Switch games might just have to go without that sometimes. They'd probably use settings similar to PS4.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I'm hoping that the timing of the Nintendo Switch successor and the timing of Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate release are closer together than that of Nintendo Switch and DQXI:Definitive Edition.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Nate stated the new Switch is still planned to release in late 2022, but might slip into early 2023.

So yeah, it's coming soon.

That would be great if it launched alongside Pokemon SV. But knowing Game Freak, it would probably have no enhancements for the new hardware lol

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Everything will be different, we don't even know the core clock of that gpu cluster too. I was just talking cuda core numbers. ;)

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
You wont see GDDR on any mobile device.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
Well….this very product which insiders are suggesting was delayed.

Oh, yea I can see a delay. But the post I was replying to was talking about outright cancelling.

The delay already happened. I'm assuming the idea was to release it at the end of last year.

It no, the shortages isn't going to stop it from being released eventually, soon. Doesn't stop the releasing of iPhones or iPads or ps5's or Xboxes or Steam Decks or new cars etc etc.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
Calling it now, Nintendo will release another device sometime. I mean at this point we are just playing darts here. A new console will come and we will probably see a bit more info than a few letter code, nothing to get excited about here, IMO.

The next Switch being confirmed to exist and well along in development and having DLSS/ray tracing support with 12 SM's and 1536 CUDA cores and the native power of the ps4 pro in a handheld form factor….is nothing to get excited about?

LOL

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Oh, yea I can see a delay. But the post I was replying to was talking about outright cancelling.

The delay already happened. I'm assuming the idea was to release it at the end of last year.

It no, the shortages isn't going to stop it from being released eventually, soon. Doesn't stop the releasing of iPhones or iPads or ps5's or Xboxes or Steam Decks or new cars etc etc.

There's no way in hell they'd ever cancel the Switch 2 obviously, but I could see them cancelling a Pro model (since it's not like that release would be tied to the ability to play any games), and maybe moving up the proper successor? Like maybe the original plan was an 8nm Switch Pro in late 2021 and a cutting-edge 3nm Switch 2 in early 2024, and now those have been replaced by a single 5nm Switch 2 for early 2023?

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
There's no way in hell they'd ever cancel the Switch 2 obviously, but I could see them cancelling a Pro model (since it's not like that release would be tied to the ability to play any games), and maybe moving up the proper successor? Like maybe the original plan was an 8nm Switch Pro in late 2021 and a cutting-edge 3nm Switch 2 in early 2024, and now those have been replaced by a single 5nm Switch 2 for early 2023?

I honestly don't think Nintendo is thinking "successor" anything yet.

They have the luxury to ride this current system and library for another 4-5 years (which is why they keep saying to anyone who listens that we haven't gotten past the midpoint of the Switch life cycle yet)

All they have to do is keep pumping out model choices to appeal to various segments and make sure none of them drift away from the ecosystem over the next 5 years.

A power upgrade model is necessary for those who crave better graphics/performance in their Nintendo gaming. It will keep their engagement in Switch gaming for longer than it would otherwise.

This is the whole point of this new model. It's meant to elongate the Switch gaming desire, not replace it.

Whether it comes out Dec 2022 or March 2023 is irrelevant for what it's purpose is. Nintendo isn't really thinking about what device they might release in 2027 yet,

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
2024 is the most realistic proposition. Given the state of the world and how the switch is selling, it would cause a lot of headaches launching any sooner than late 2023.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The next Switch being confirmed to exist and well along in development and having DLSS/ray tracing support with 12 SM's and 1536 CUDA cores and the native power of the ps4 pro in a handheld form factor….is nothing to get excited about?

LOL
Drake doesn't have the power of the cloud

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Being honest I think people are borderline delusional if they think it will.
I mean nothing is confirmed, but we know for a fact that devkits have been out since 2020 to trusted developers and that there are games made with Drake in mind scheduled for release in late 2022. I think its pretty likely that it releases within the next year. Not guaranteed mind you, but likely

Oct 31, 2017
After the announcement that those 11 companies that where supposed to be working on 4k games for new switch have changed to working on base switch then a new switch is not realistic.
For me i think where looking more late 24/25 at earliest late 23 announced March 24 released.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
they need to keep it simple and just go with Switch 2. One of the biggest reasons the Wii U failed was because they didn't make it clear enough to the average person that it was the Wii 2 and not some add on accessory. Switch 2 might sound boring but it's simple and doesn't confuse anyone. Plus, they could do some marketing with the play on 2/to/too. "Switch to TV from handheld on your Switch 2!" or "You can play Mario on your Switch 2 and your friend can join too!"

Switch 2 and full backwards compatability with Switch (1) titles. DLSS support. They will be set for another 5+ years.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I think there is a weird sense of pride in the console making industry to differentiate the naming from the competition, so in that regard I don't think it'll be named the "Switch 2", since Sony already has that naming strategy for their main console line.

That said, I'll probably try to get one as soon as pre-orders are available (depending on if it's a pure iteration or not), whenever that will be. I usually don't buy consoles at launch, but I don't think the price will change all that much over several years + chip shortage/scalper situation. If it's a new beast altogether I might wait though.

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I honestly don't think Nintendo is thinking "successor" anything yet.

They have the luxury to ride this current system and library for another 4-5 years (which is why they keep saying to anyone who listens that we haven't gotten past the midpoint of the Switch life cycle yet)

All they have to do is keep pumping out model choices to appeal to various segments and make sure none of them drift away from the ecosystem over the next 5 years.

A power upgrade model is necessary for those who crave better graphics/performance in their Nintendo gaming. It will keep their engagement in Switch gaming for longer than it would otherwise.

This is the whole point of this new model. It's meant to elongate the Switch gaming desire, not replace it.

Whether it comes out Dec 2022 or March 2023 is irrelevant for what it's purpose is. Nintendo isn't really thinking about what device they might release in 2027 yet,

The existence of a successor Switch 2 wouldn't really be relevant to the original Switch's life cycle IMO. They could release it for $399 (hopefully with specs to justify that) and continue selling the Switch for $249 and the Switch Lite for $149.

At this point, the only real difference between a Switch Pro and a Switch 2 is that the latter would get exclusive games - it would also do everything a Pro would do, including increasing engagement in the Switch ecosystem.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure I missed it but will this probably be a "Pro" considering the president said Switch was halfway through its lifecycle or you think that's bunk and it'll be considered the successor of the Switch???