• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Nintendo has no reason to release a Switch 2 this year with how many games the current Switch is getting.

The last time Nintendo released this many games it was 2017 and a launch year. If they don't release a new system now it will be a game drought for years as the teams that made these games start on their next projects

edit: Cross Gen is real

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
I fully expect it to launch with Zelda, whenever it launches, and for Xeno 3 to have an upgrade patch and I can't wait. Pokemon will also benefit a ton if it gets a next gen patch.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
I dont know if I'm interested in Switch 2nd gen having ray tracing. I'd be happy enough if it ran last gen games at PS4 settings and 720p. But regardless of how it turns out, I'm excited to see it.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I dont know if I'm interested in Switch 2nd gen having ray tracing. I'd be happy enough if it ran last gen games at PS4 settings and 720p. But regardless of how it turns out, I'm excited to see it.

It might be kind of cool if there were some games built specifically around it with somewhat simpler graphics otherwise. It's not impossible - the Steam Deck can handle Ghostrunner with RT reflections at about 40fps, apparently. But otherwise it would feel like a bit of a waste.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they have a plan for backwards compatibility. I know DLSS is not magic, so I'm not wishing for something unrealistic, it would just be nice to be able to play old games on the new machine.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
tbh hardware capable of DLSS and raytracing has to be powerful enough by itself to support those graphical features even with tensor cores so you're definitely getting a device of similar performance as PS4/XboX One S at the very least.

I'd say it's probably gonna be similar to how the first switch was comparable to 360/ps3 but still pushing above those consoles because it had a more modern architecture.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Nintendo has no reason to release a Switch 2 this year with how many games the current Switch is getting.

With how crazy the pandemic is, aligning everything together is impossible. They have to make sure their platform is ready for production and partners can launch games being made with the platform in mind. Having a large number of games (which some could get delayed to next year even) isnt going to stop whatever they are planning

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
They can't make enough Switches to sell at the moment. No way they launch a new machine, with lower margins for a while. It is coming, though. And if they didn't have supply constraints it probably would have come sooner.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
So we talking PS4 level power here? PS4 Pro?

My guess about 1.5 - 2TFLOP is a nice conservative estimate. With the right CPU you could probably get close to Series S performance IMO with DLSS implemented.

Without DLSS you're probably looking at a max of 1080p native resolution docked for third party games depending if you're throwing on anything like ray tracing, probably less. First party games may be able to natively go above 1080 considering how much the first party developers punch above weight.

That's just from what I gather from people on Era.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
THE TREES!

iD4tkZc.jpeg
What is that? Is it the new Switch?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
What is that? Is it the new Switch?

It was a hoaxed old Switch, before the Switch came out. 3D printed, supposed to be a thing with no true traditional buttons. People analyzed the trees in the reflection and saw they looked very very similar to trees outside of the Crytek office, which would have been positioned near a window and would have lined up with a Swedish keyboard in another picture.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
It was a hoaxed old Switch, before the Switch came out. 3D printed, supposed to be a thing with no true traditional buttons. People analyzed the trees in the reflection and saw they looked very very similar to trees outside of the Crytek office, which would have been positioned near a window and would have lined up with a Swedish keyboard in another picture.
So, that means Crytek already has the Switch 2 dev kits then.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, Ray tracing and based on ampere?
So do we think this is a successor or a "Switch Pro"? Still coming this year or further down the line?

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna err on the side of Jeff Grubb and say this thing isn't coming out until 2024

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Ray tracing and based on ampere?
So do we think this is a successor or a "Switch Pro"? Still coming this year or further down the line?

I don't think there's as much of a difference as some people are making out. I think no matter whether the next hardware is technically called the successor or not, it'll be part of the Switch family and play Switch games.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
does ray tracing use dedicated silicon or does it share it with DLSS? Seems an inefficient use of silicon for a small SoC - I'd arguably want more standard GPU/CPU performance. But if the DLSS silicon is reusable that would be good.

*if* it was similar to that T234 on page one, what would performance be estimated at?

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't Crytek, iirc it was Massive.
But in a stroke of luck, the "leaker" was also in Stockholm lmao

oneroom

Dec 26, 2020
Hmmm... .12sm (cuda1536) is unbelievable
Seems like a pretty bold choice for a conservative Nintendo.
They prefer very low cost to get more profit!
Given that nvidia also wants a lot of margin, I doubt this part will be cheap to buy.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
I could see a Summer-Holiday 2023 launch. The lineup for 2022 feels a little too packed for a system with a successor coming this year.

Good thing it's not a successor!

This is a perfect time for a mid-gen upgrade.

This DLSS Switch will still be targeting Nintendo games to render at 540p-720p for portable mode…so no reason why they won't put every Nintendo game on the current models for the next 4-5 years as well.

The PS5 launch was such a fucking nightmare.

Hopefully Nintendo has a workaround for mass scalper bot activity…

The shield tv 2015 had the same gpu.

Yes it did.

Not sure what that had to do with my post though :P

But yea, they released the shield tv ~5 months after they revealed the Tegra X1.

Releasing its first video gaming product based on an Orin chip 5 years (2024) after its reveal doesn't make any sense.

An Orin based gaming machine in 2022 makes way more sense.

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
does ray tracing use dedicated silicon or does it share it with DLSS? Seems an inefficient use of silicon for a small SoC - I'd arguably want more standard GPU/CPU performance. But if the DLSS silicon is reusable that would be good.

*if* it was similar to that T234 on page one, what would performance be estimated at?

DLSS and nvidia RTX raytracing both use the hardware tensor cores.

Dec 21, 2020

NVidia silicon has dedicated hardware for ML and dedicated hardware for RayTracing.

The RayTracing hardware can be used for audio though, and the Tensor Cores can be used for AI in games.

They can be used for more than just DLSS and RTGI.

It's up to how a developer chooses to use the hardware for their goals.

RT cores for example are apparently really good for physics calculations. So, makes you think what a dev would do beyond the bog standard purpose of this silicon.
DLSS and nvidia RTX raytracing both use the hardware tensor cores.
They do not. Tensor Cores handles DLSS, RTX is handled by the RT cores.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
The last time Nintendo released this many games it was 2017 and a launch year. If they don't release a new system now it will be a game drought for years as the teams that made these games start on their next projects

Thank you. You're right, and this is why I think there's a new system coming.

Although a not insignificant chunk of the board is convinced that the Switch 2 is only coming in like 2027, after another drought passes and we get another flood of games. I personally think that's madness

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Probably a lot of the games that we are getting this year were planned for 2020/2021/2022 but COVID happened and were internally delayed.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
First post nails it.

And looks like ray tracing is confirmed for the Switch 2. Hopefully it also has an NVMe SSD so it can do something similar to DirectStorage.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Devkits have been out since late 2020, so you expect Nintendo, Nintendo.
To have devkits out for a system they want likely top-secret for more than 3 years?

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
Also, don't know if it was mentioned here yet but, we know the CUDA Core count and therefore most of the GPU-side of things now.

unknown.png

Twelve SMs, 1GPC with 6SMs per GPC with it being a derivation of the Orin GA10B uArch.

So
  • 1536 CUDA cores
  • 2.3MB of L1 Cache
  • 4MB of L2 Cache
  • 6 or 12 RT cores (Orin's Devpapers and the NVN2 Files conflict on this so it may be a Drake-specific customization that makes it GA10F that brings it back to 1:1 on RT Core/SM versus the 1:2 of Orin/GA10B)
  • 48 Tensor cores
That is a monster of a GPU and would likely match up or beat the Laptop 3050 (and therefore quite easily outpace the PS4 Pro) when docked.
And that is before DLSS!

Not to mention even if it's 6 RT cores of Ampere's Generation that would likely beat the Series S's acceleration for RT, and if it's 12 of Ampere then it would match up or beat the PS5's

Ditto that if the RT cores are actually Lovelace (NVIDIA has not listed the generation of the Orin RT cores in Orin's Devpapers yet)

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
It's almost as if something happened in 2020 that could drastically change internal plans
Software, easy to delay.
hardware? ehhhhhhhhhhh
Not so easy.

Especially with stuff that seems this far along with a seemingly fully finished API, and a finalized GPU core count in that API with robust feature support for RT and DLSS in it.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Also, don't know if it was mentioned here yet but, we know the CUDA Core count and therefore most of the GPU-side of things now.

unknown.png

Twelve SMs, 1GPC with 6SMs per GPC with it being a derivation of the Orin GA10B uArch.

So
  • 1536 CUDA cores
  • 2.3MB of L1 Cache
  • 4MB of L2 Cache
  • 6 or 12 RT cores (Orin's Devpapers and the NVN2 Files conflict on this so it may be a Drake-specific customization that makes it GA10F that brings it back to 1:1 on RT Core/SM versus the 1:2 of Orin/GA10B)
  • 48 Tensor cores
That is a monster of a GPU and would likely match up or beat the Laptop 3050 (and therefore quite easily outpace the PS4 Pro) when docked.
And that is before DLSS!

Not to mention even if it's 6 RT cores of Ampere's Generation that would likely beat the Series S's acceleration for RT, and if it's 12 of Ampere then it would match up or beat the PS5's

Ditto that if the RT cores are actually Lovelace (NVIDIA has not listed the generation of the Orin RT cores in Orin's Devpapers yet)
modiz , Miniature Kaiju you were just talking about this

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020

unknown.png

So
  • 1536 CUDA cores
  • 2.3MB of L1 Cache
  • 4MB of L2 Cache
  • 48 Tensor cores
And that is before DLSS!

I am drooling at the thought at what Nintendo could do with this type of hardware. What a sight it would be on these forums if the Switch 2(or maybe Pro?) had ray tracing that matched or exceeded the PS5 and Xbox Series.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for DLSS to finally FORCE anti-aliasing on Nintendo games. I don't understand why Xenoblade is almost the only series that uses it.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I can't wait for DLSS to finally FORCE anti-aliasing on Nintendo games. I don't understand why Xenoblade is almost the only series that uses it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's because the Switch has a small amount of memory bandwidth, so something like TAA isn't really feasible without dropping to low resolutions

Kinda the same reason why consoles don't use 16x AF because they have a limited amount of bandwidth that the CPU/GPU are fighting for, that could be used to make the image look better elsewhere

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's because the Switch has a small amount of memory bandwidth, so something like TAA isn't really feasible without dropping to low resolutions

Kinda the same reason why consoles don't use 16x AF because they have a limited amount of bandwidth that the CPU/GPU are fighting for, that could be used to make the image look better elsewhere
Several third party Switch games use AA. Alien and Crysis trilogy are good examples.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Nah, Nintendo has refused to use AA since Game Cube.

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
The N64 had anti-aliasing and slow main memory. Nintendo said never again after that experience.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
tbh hardware capable of DLSS and raytracing has to be powerful enough by itself to support those graphical features even with tensor cores so you're definitely getting a device of similar performance as PS4/XboX One S at the very least.

I'd say it's probably gonna be similar to how the first switch was comparable to 360/ps3 but still pushing above those consoles because it had a more modern architecture.

This is the big thing. According to Dictator's video on the subject, the leaked 8nm chip would take a full 10ms at 15W to bring a frame up to 2160p resolution with DLSS. This is why I'm hoping the actual Switch 2 is stronger than that. 5nm, newer architecture, and 25W while docked would go quite a way towards making a portable powerhouse that could legitimately last about 8 years.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018

unknown.png

So
  • 1536 CUDA cores
  • 2.3MB of L1 Cache
  • 4MB of L2 Cache
  • 48 Tensor cores
And that is before DLSS!

But let's not forget that it will probally be downclocked for heat, so it will not get that performace. Unless the chip is very cool when fully used.
would dlss also be handy to bring sub 720p games in handheld mode to 720p?

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

unknown.png

So
  • 1536 CUDA cores
  • 2.3MB of L1 Cache
  • 4MB of L2 Cache
  • 48 Tensor cores
And that is before DLSS!

If this is accurate, that's totally successor territory. I don't think it's reasonable to try to get even Nintendo's first party devs to maximise that little beastie while simultaneously making sure that the games would still run on the original Switch.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
This is my pure speculation but, with Zelda BotW 2 and Xeno 3, two open world games, Splatoon 3 a multiplayer game and new Pokémon gen a Switch pro this holiday would make tons of sense.
Let's not forget Monster Hunter Sun brake and Bayo 3!
Except for Mario (I guess Pokémon is in its place) we have all the heavy hitters from 2017 listed.
With a "pro" model this year the Switch really could last until...2026? So Switch being "somewhere in the middle of its lifespan" wouldn't end up being a lie. Kinda.

And anyway, we'll know if a "upgrade" is really happening since production needs to start very soon, no?

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I really hope they can implement DLSS on a system level on a potential Switch Pro/2 (is that even possible?).
So we aren't at the mercy of devs to patch their games to support it.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Hopefully they use DLSS to upscale the OS UI to 4k

I'm 75% joking here