• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of really nice setups in here. Here's my submission. It's my all-in-one area where I do all my gaming and other shenanigans. I really love that Fractal case and how little room it takes up.

Nice, I have the same case. It's compact but still roomy enough for a full size GPU, CPU cooler and can fit a disc drive.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Not a whole lot different from last time. Details in the spoiler if you care.

Not sure what I'll be doing in the new house, but it will have a dedicated home office and I'd like to have a little couch or something and a TV to game on. There is a TV off to the left of my sitting position but it really isn't in my line of sight.

38796738604_9e4bd78227_c.jpg

25634899668_23cf9159d0_c.jpg

Acer H236L x2
PS4, PS3, X1S, X360, Switch
N3DS, DSiXL, PSP-1000, Vita 2
Custom build tower w/ 2500K (yes, still). The XPS 13 in the cubby is for road use

Oct 27, 2017
Not a whole lot different from last time. Details in the spoiler if you care.

Not sure what I'll be doing in the new house, but it will have a dedicated home office and I'd like to have a little couch or something and a TV to game on. There is a TV off to the left of my sitting position but it really isn't in my line of sight.

38796738604_9e4bd78227_c.jpg

25634899668_23cf9159d0_c.jpg

Acer H236L x2
PS4, PS3, X1S, X360, Switch
N3DS, DSiXL, PSP-1000, Vita 2
Custom build tower w/ 2500K (yes, still). The XPS 13 in the cubby is for road use

Any setup that has a Zune automatically wins points with me.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
You know I love your gameroom but I also liked you saying you probably won't take new pics anytime soon. This made me think that I probably will do the same so here are the pictures from the last thread:

hJLW0dxh.jpg

WiiU, PS4, Xbone and Switch games and a few consoles and portables stay at my bedroom.

This looks really nice. I don't think I'd ever do something like this personally since it seems like a lot of cleaning/upkeep, but I still admire it.

Nice setups in here, but some people may want to look up what the word "humble" means.
Mid-high is not "humble" and you know that. He meant simple.
What a ridiculous thing to get upset over. Stop nitpicking because these comments add no value.

Oct 27, 2017
It's possible that things may have changed since I last lived there, but in general TV and especially laptop prices are much higher in Japan than they are in the States. If you are planning to buy a laptop, I'd highly recommend getting one before you go over there as you'll be able to get something likely more powerful for a better price. You also might just want to buy a PC monitor over there (they're a lot cheaper than TVs) and use it for games instead of a TV, unless you want a large display.

When I first moved there, I only brought a laptop, one game console (the slim PS2- PS3 wasn't out yet!), and took some movies and games inside a DVD storage folder without cases/manuals. Left all that stuff back at my parents' house at home so I had the least amount of stuff and clutter possible. I'm not even sure if I'd bring even a few books over there...the lighter your luggage, the better. Maybe re-buy those manga digitally for reading on your iPad. Ditto on the PS4. Might just want to consider selling it off along with your Xbox One X and just picking up a new one later on over there. You'll also have better luck getting a Switch in the States since they can still be hard to find in Japan from what I have read.

If I was to ever move back over there, I'd probably ditch my entire gaming collection and just go 100% digital.
Thanks for the response man.

Yeah I planned on grabbing a laptop before I went. Switch thing is probably a good idea. I was checking PS4 prices and they seemed much higher so I was planning on just taking mine with me, plus I have a Pro. If I knew I could get ahold of a Ryu Ga Gotoku SE console I'd probably stick to my Pro.

I could always have my family mail my Manga if I really wanted them. I really don't want to bring a lot.

I guess unless I get lucky and find a furnished apartment the monitor thing is a good idea. I didn't expect to get anything bigger then 32" anyway and most Japanese televisions that small are all 720p. I would actually prefer a unfurnished apartment as I don't like owning much. I would actually prefer just a futon mattress instead of a bed but I've looked at quite a few furnished apartments.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The rest of my office is pretty utilitarian. I only really use it for work and as a place for organizing my retro and arcade PCB collections. Here's a few more pics regardless.

Thanks, everything I can find helps.

I'm having a hard time finding in pictures complete inspiration. Ideally I want three screens, or a way to do three things at once - work, internet browsing/YouTube, and TV/console gaming. All my consoles are hooked into my right monitor, and I have a TV about 60° off to my left at about fifteen feet. That's too far and too off axis to use well. Not sure if mounting above the screens would be bad for eyes or neck. Saw one setup maybe in here a few threads ago that had a desk, then a couch in front of that and a TV on the wall. Can't seem to find it anymore though.

Another complication is I'm trying to design for a house I don't own yet so there's minimal downtime.

Dec 15, 2017
Wow my jealousy is hitting hard for some of these. Great job by all. Ive followed these for years and never posted.

Here is my setup in my basement, just missing my Raspberry Pi atm.

Normally the curtains are closed on the projector screen. The TV is on wheels so i move it to use the projector, or both projector and tv side by side for watching a movie or sports while gaming.

Im waiting to jump in to 4k until i pick out a 4k projector in the next year or two. Then i can do the big upgrade all at once.

20180106_170357.jpg

20180106_170418.jpg

20180106_170114_003.jpg

20180106_170312.jpg

20180106_230749.jpg

20180106_170257.jpg

Last edited:

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wow my jealousy is hitting hard for some of these. Great job by all. Ive followed these for years and never posted.

Here is my setup in my basement, just missing my Raspberry Pi atm.

Normally the curtains are closed on the projector screen. The TV is on wheels so i move it to use the projector, or both projector and tv side by side for watching a movie or sports while gaming.

dGhoBb

ingbxG

jt25rb

i0UJBb

kQY0Pw
On mobile but I think you need to fix your images

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Nice setup! I've been thinking about getting a Sony VPL myself.

#1 How do you like it?

#2 What reason(s) made you go with the 675 over "just" the 365?
I'm an AV nerd, so buckle up :)

Don't get a 365, as it has pretty glaring limitations (briefly had one). It is limited by a max HDMI bandwidth of 10.2gbs, versus 13.5gbs in the newer models (285, 385, and 675).

Both the 285 and 385 are totally viable options. For the budget conscience, the 285 is a solid value at $5k. It doesn't have Lens memory or an iris. The 385 adds these features for $3k, which is steep for what they are. For most people, this translates to better black levels for movies, and basically nothing for games because game mode normally disables the iris.

There is little difference between the 675 and 385, other than 300 lumens. I only got a 675 because I was offered a great deal from a local company that took my old projector as a trade in towards a 675 they had in stock. If it wasn't for this deal, I would have purchased a 385.

After a ton of research and viewing, I narrowed my options to the Sony 385 and JVC RS520/540. It's a battle of native 4K (Sony) vs. better contrast (JVC). I'm not a fan of the Epson 5040 compared to these two, it's noticably cheaper but I don't think the picture holds up to them (and its 10.2gbs HDMI limited).

Sony Pros: Native 4K, good game mode, decent HDR
Sony Cons: Color banding (details below)

JVC Pros: Industry leading black levels, great game mode, decent HDR
JVC Cons: Not real 4K, e-shift process creates some image noise (mainly PC sources and text). Banding if CMD (frame interpolation) is on in a 4K source.

For movies, the Sony is incredible; I can't think of any compliants. For games, with 4K/HDR on there can be some severe color banding which can be super annoying. The running theory is that while it can accept a 13.5gbs signal (4K/60hz/10bit 4:2:0), it's processor is limited to 10.2gbs (4K/60hz/8bit 4:2:0). Basically, that means 10bit color gets downscaled to 8bit. Many times it's not a big deal, other times it looks just awful. This must be considered before buying a Sony projector. There are lots of photos if you search online.

The JVC does not have this issue, because it has a full 18gbs board. The JVC has its own issues, like e-shift artifacting and CMD (frame interpolation) causing banding with 4K sources. There are higher end Sony (885) and JVC projectors with laser sources that fix these issues, at a cost of over $25k.

So for 4K/HDR projector gaming at $5k to $10k, you either have to accept the issues and get whatever is the lesser of two evils to you, shell out $25k+, or wait for prices to come down.

For me, I picked the Sony because it is nearly perfect for movies, and I can turn off HDR if the banding gets bad in games. I couldn't get over the e-shift look/noise of the JVC models, since they are not really 4K. You will find many competing opinions on this in AV forums. Sony used to be well behind JVC, but the 285 at $5k has gone a long way to being price competitive with JVC. Note that the 285 is an upgrade over the 365, for half the price that the 365 launched at.

As a side note, all projectors handle motion differently. I prefer the "look" of a Sony projector, but this is just my personal taste. Also, AVSForum is a great resource for discussion of these projectors.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

CLW

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I'm an AV nerd, so buckle up :)

Thanks for the info! I have been lurking over at AVS a bit trying to read up because of the hunk of change required to go with an actual native 4K projector. I gotta admit its a bit daunting being sort into tech but not being an "AV nerd".

Right now I game/movie watch etc... on a 2016 LG 65" OLED and I've been quite happy with that purchase (which has been causing me to get the just wait for the price to come down on a projector feelings).

Other than the obvious benefit of the larger screen - how would the picture quality for gaming and movies compare from my current OLED to a VPL?

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Thanks for the info! I have been lurking over at AVS a bit trying to read up because of the hunk of change required to go with an actual native 4K projector. I gotta admit its a bit daunting being sort into tech but not being an "AV nerd".

Right now I game/movie watch etc... on a 2016 LG 65" OLED and I've been quite happy with that purchase (which has been causing me to get the just wait for the price to come down on a projector feelings).

Other than the obvious benefit of the larger screen - how would the picture quality for gaming and movies compare from my current OLED to a VPL?
The HDR highlights will look much better on an OLED, as projectors just don't have the lumens to compete. For movies, I personally think that the projector would look better overall as it adds a film like quality to the image. I'm extremely happy with the picture on movies, it's stunning after properly calibrated. For games, your OLED will be the winner as it won't have the banding issues. I have a Sony 4K/HDR set at home (non-LED though), and I personally prefer size to quality.

If a 110" OLED was a thing it would be a clear winner, but that's not realistic for now. As far as projectors go, I'm very happy with the image my 675 throws. No complaints on movies (handles 4K/24hz/10bit 4:4:4 great). No complaints on 4K non-HDR gaming, but minor reservations for 4K HDR gaming (for both brightness limitations and banding).

If you are worried about black levels, get one with an iris. Black levels on mine are pretty darn good. If you're worried about brightness/HDR highlights, projectors can't keep pace with an OLED yet.

Edit: Don't underestimate the impact of going from a 65" screen to a 110" screen. It's pretty huge, lol.

Edit 2: Note that if you are new to projectors, they can be a pain to mount and setup properly based on your room. They are not plug and play like a tv, and little things like cable length can become an issue. Few HDMI cables can actually pass an 18gbs signal 50' (though many claim to). Also, don't forget about light control, you really need a bat cave to get the most out of a projector.

Lastly, all of this is my personal opinion, and should not be relied upon :)

Last edited:

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
How is it gaming with such a widescreen monitor?

It's one of those things where you can't go back to the old ways... like the first time watching 1080p or using an SSD

How do you like that monitor? It seems to be one of the better of the Ultrawides.

Its awesome (coming from a 27" Acer XB270HU)... the only flaw it has is lack of HDR but I don't think we will see any good HDR enabled ultrawide Gsync monitors until late 2018

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am so jealous of all of your setups. I have a pretty decent PC gaming setup, but the cable management outside the PC is a mess, I am awful at taking pics, and it needs to be dusted. I want a console setup with a 65" 4k TV someday, but right now I am concentrating on my career and saving up for a mortgage for a house. I hate being an adult with other responsibilities!

ShiftyRat

Oct 27, 2017
I was able to build out my dream basement a couple of years ago but only recently took some decent pictures of the setup. Picture dump incoming.

ciu4gVG.jpg

QlrxhmS.jpg

jdAi9Lx.jpg

eNVrIiF.jpg

uMYuUXN.jpg

RErYWtr.jpg

6QcE16U.jpg

NLyCEZr.jpg

4hWyi3T.jpg

h4j9m86.jpg

gM8Ho9t.jpg

Bonus DnD Photo:
FqImcBg.jpg

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Wow really nice prophecy0 lemme ask tho what rise is on your tower? Been looking for something like that but couldn't find anything so I bought like a shoe rack that happens to fit right under my computer to hold it but it's kinda weirdly high haha

Zubalon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
9FYl6to.jpg

Been working on this for a while ...I update the electrical in the house so some of it is different now
tvgEBlg.jpg

The other side of the wall.
p5qZPAz.jpg

And a closer look at the OLED
NB2JbMD.jpg

More on the right side
J130STR.jpg

Last edited:

Zubalon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
9FYl6to.jpg

Been working on this for a while ...I update the electrical in the house so some of it is different now
tvgEBlg.jpg

The other side of the wall.
p5qZPAz.jpg

And a closer look at the OLED
NB2JbMD.jpg
I bought the house for less than nothing.
And I've been doing all the work myself and I find incredibly enjoyable. I've added alot of new items to the game room and redid the floor in acrylic which is much tougher than the poly I originally put down.