Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Every once in a while, this idiot says something I agree with. lol

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
are the hours of daylight not the same?

no, in addition to daylight savings, the earth spins on a wobbling axis which affects the length of days. In the northern hemisphere, days are shorter in the winter, culminating on the winter solstice, which is the shortest day of the year, and in the summer, days are longer, culminating on the summer solstice. During the summer solstice, with Daylights savings, it can be daylight till 9 pm, while during the winter solstice, without daylight savings, it can be nighttime at 4:45 pm. Daylight savings is only an hour difference, the rest of that time difference is the spin of the earth as it revolves around the sun.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
are the hours of daylight not the same?
Total, yes. High traffic afternoon hours...no.

I believe it needs to be standard myself as well in order to better mesh with the rest of the world, but most people don't have that opinion...mostly because they can't think about more than themselves.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Dave Brown @dave_brown24

There it is. They talked about making Daylight Saving Time permanent on Fox & Friends yesterday

10:28 AM - Mar 11, 2019

Dave Brown @dave_brown24

"Basically everybody would like a little more sunshine in their life. As we spring forward today, what our bill would do in the fall, we eliminate the idea of falling back. So make it permanent sunshine long term. People are going to have a lot more sunshine"

10:32 AM - Mar 11, 2019

Jennifer Jacobs @JenniferJJacobs

Fox yesterday: "...permanent sunshine..."

Trump today: "Making Daylight Saving Time permanent is O.K. with me!"

10:38 AM - Mar 11, 2019

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Apparently not because this shit comes up every year and nothing gets done
And oddly enough, it doesn't do that well in polling either. It gets the majority, but not by as much as one might think.

It's amazing how many folks don't care about the time changes.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
DST>standard time. I don't give a shit about how much sun I get while going to work. I care deeply about how much sun I can enjoy in the evening.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hours of daylight, yes. Hours of daylight during operating hours, no.

no, the solstices affect the hours of daylight. The closer you are to the winter solstice, the closer the daylight hours are to about 8 hours. The closer you are to the summer solstice, the closer the daylight hours are to about 12 hours.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
Why would anyone want standard over dst? You actually like getting out of work at 5pm at it be dark? Dst allows for a lot of sunshine in the pm
7b0.png

gimme that extra sun

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The problem with those maps is 7am and 5pm aren't reasonable sunrise or sunset.

Reasonable sunset should be after 7 which gives people at least an hour after work to do things. Reasonable sunrise should be 6am which gives people at least an hour before work to do things.

Have Andy redo his maps for those times and we'll talk.

Outside of the summer, very little of the US ever gets 13+ hours of sunlight in a day.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
edit - people advocating one over the other are foolish 😜 They both suck at their "respective" solstices. Sunrise at 8:20am in the winter (DST permanent), and sunset at 7:30pm in the summer (ST permanent) both suck.

Unless you're like me and 8:20 AM sunrise sounds wonderful. I prefer it to still be dark in the morning, and for sunrise to occur while I'm awake. DST all the way, baby.

Oct 28, 2017

Dave Brown @dave_brown24

There it is. They talked about making Daylight Saving Time permanent on Fox & Friends yesterday

Dave Brown @dave_brown24

"Basically everybody would like a little more sunshine in their life. As we spring forward today, what our bill would do in the fall, we eliminate the idea of falling back. So make it permanent sunshine long term. People are going to have a lot more sunshine"

These sleuths have figured it out. Turns out Trump gets policy ideas from Fox News. Who knew!?

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

Dave Brown @dave_brown24

Dave Brown @dave_brown24

If only Fox & Friends could use their powers for good all of the time...

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
broken clock, twice a day, etc.

I honestly can't even fathom who is against this.

edit - people advocating one over the other are foolish 😜 They both suck at their "respective" solstices. Sunrise at 8:20am in the winter (DST permanent), and sunset at 7:30pm in the summer (ST permanent) both suck.
yea but sunrise at 820 sucks far far less than the sun going down at 430pm in winter in Texas on standard time.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
DST also gives those of us with solar panels much more juice during the hours we're actually awake.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
broken clock, twice a day, etc.

I honestly can't even fathom who is against this.

one demonstratably sucks more than the other. The vast majority of businesses do not open until 9 am, so adjusting the clock to give daylight to hours when the business world isn't even in operation is dumb. By contrast, even at the summer solstice, your daylight typically corresponds to hours when humanity is actually active.

DST all the way.

Here in Texas, during winter, I basically don't see sun during days I go to the office. I'll go into the office at 5:30 am, and get out at 5 pm, and both times are still in the dark. In the summer, I trade darkness in the afternoon for several hours of daylight. This gives me time, for example, to walk my dog and things of that sort. More sunlight when people are actually awake is just flat out smart.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
no, the solstices affect the hours of daylight. The closer you are to the winter solstice, the closer the daylight hours are to about 8 hours. The closer you are to the summer solstice, the closer the daylight hours are to about 12 hours.

Sorry, you're correct, I meant the hours of daylight are the same as they always have been (as you pointed out), not that the hours never change and will always be the same. I should have articulated that better.

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018
I don't see why we should switch to either "permanently." I'm okay with how things are now.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YEah like ... you can't do DST. We already have timezones.

I'm all for ditching the switch but you gotta pick Standard, I don't see any other way.

If your argument is "I hate it when it's dark" or whatever, what do you propose is done about the existing international time zone framework? the whole thing shifts because you have feels about daylight hours?
I mean it already shifts. DST changeovers aren't the same in the US and the EU. Part of the year the East Coast of the US is GMT-4 and other parts of the year its GMT-5.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Standard Time:

Sunrise is earlier and it's brighter when you wake up at 6 am it's dark when you get out of work

Daylight Time:

Sunrise is later and it's darker when you wake up at 6 am and it's brighter when you get out of work
Standard Time is more depressing as it's dark out when you get free. The days feel
Longer with Daylight Time. That is how it should be. I shouldn't have to be looking outside at 7 pm and see a fucking sunset I want a sunset at 8 pm in the summer. I want more time in the brightness of the day

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why we should switch to either "permanently." I'm okay with how things are now.

the number of fatal traffic accidents spike every year with the time switch. People get into biological rhythms, changing our perception of time is actually dangerous and manifests in people getting poorer sleep, which demonstrably results in more traffic deaths.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
one demonstratably sucks more than the other. The vast majority of businesses do not open until 9 am, so adjusting the clock to give daylight to hours when the business world isn't even in operation is dumb. By contrast, even at the summer solstice, your daylight typically corresponds to hours when humanity is actually active.

DST all the way.

Here in Texas, during winter, I basically don't see sun during days I go to the office. I'll go into the office at 5:30 am, and get out at 5 pm, and both times are still in the dark. In the summer, I trade darkness in the afternoon for several hours of daylight. This gives me time, for example, to walk my dog and things of that sort. More sunlight when people are actually awake is just flat out smart.
who cares when retail businesses open? Most people have started out their day well before 8am. Get into a professional setting and most of the people have either been there for up to an hour already, or are just getting there at 8am.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It may not affect you directly, but the current system is moronic. It doesn't have any real benefits, is terrible for children and animals (parents and farmers), costs billions of dollars in productivity, and kills dozens of Americans (in traffic accidents and medical trauma) every year.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
who cares when retail businesses open? Most people have started out their day well before 8am. Get into a professional setting and most of the people have either been there for up to an hour already, or are just getting there at 8am.

A) retail business are professional settings

B) no, the vast majority of people have not "started their day" before 8 am, lest the retail world would reflect that

C) what you call "starting your day" is being stuck inside in an office. Who gives a fuck if it's daylight while I'm stuck inside working? The opposite is daylight when I'm off of work. Having daylight during my free time is much more important than having daylight when the vast, vast, vast majority of people are either stuck in an office or just waking up and brushing their teeth.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Total, yes. High traffic afternoon hours...no.

I believe it needs to be standard myself as well in order to better mesh with the rest of the world, but most people don't have that opinion...mostly because they can't think about more than themselves.

I mean it's not like people are being murdered in the streets because of DST. It's a pretty small change that amounts to a nice little bonus IF it meshes with your schedule giving you more sunlight. So I don't see why someone's opinion on DST/ST shouldn't be about themselves.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
It's odd, I've never given this more than a seconds thought, however I do live in the UK which is only one timezone. Is this something that actually bothers a lot of people, perhaps in larger countries with multiple timezones?

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Whichever one lets it be lighter later is the one I vote for.

I prefer waking up in the dark. Easier on the eyes.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's odd, I've never given this more than a seconds thought, however I do live in the UK which is only one timezone. Is this something that actually bothers a lot of people, perhaps in larger countries with multiple timezones?

In the US, it's especially annoying because a few states don't observe DST. So in addition to multiple time zones, sometimes certain states could be as much as 2 hours earlier than you'd expect it to be.