Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I'm surprised he did not say he invented time, or that no one knows time better than him, or that we should believe him because he has the best people that know all about time and ... you know ... Marty McFly once said to Doc... "Don't need money, don't need fame, don't need no impeachment, cos that's lame". I heard him say it, I heard him say this... true story. Build the wall.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
This is where I sit. I'd prefer DST, but either is fine as long as it's permanent.
'cause 'Murica! Fuck Yeah!

Amirite?

The entire world manged to agree on a set of time zones, but people have to bitch and moan because they're not quite what they want them to be. It's bad enough that the US says "fuck it" to the rest of the world for roughly half the year, let's just go whole hog and do whatever the hell we want, when we want. I want RPT...8:00 AM is whenever sunrise is and 8:00 PM is sunset, regardless of the solar cycle because I want to maximize my daylight time!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, Trump and I agree on something.

Massachusetts has a bill being put forward keeping the time between March -> November as year round, and I fully support it even though it'll be messy without other states adopting. Fuck it.

As long as the one that's permanent is the one that's in the warmer/more lit months. IF they do winter hours year round then I'll do something drastic.

are the hours of daylight not the same?

They are, but people's work hours (and "life hours") are usually set to a schedule that doesn't respect the rising and setting of the sun. I get out at ~5:30PM regardless of whether it's March 11th or March 9th. But, the difference between having the sun set at 5:45 or 6:45 makes a major difference in the activities that I do after I get home, as opposed to in the morning. It's not just work too, but most of our schedules are set this way... Even informal things like the time that television shows air, or sports events begin, they're usually at a set time and don't shift depending on sunlight (with some rare exceptions, like for instance Chicago Cubs games because they used to not have stadium lights). Most people are like me and it ends up being a significant amount of money.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
If we go permanent DST, there will be mornings in January here in the south where sunrise won't be until 7:57am. I have enough trouble dragging myself out of bed.

Down with DST.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
just_do_it.gif

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I want more time in the afternoon after my fiancee and I are off work to spend time outdoors with her.

I want to use that hour of sunlight as much as I can, on my time, not stuck at my desk or in my car on the way to my desk.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018

Amirite?

The entire world manged to agree on a set of time zones, but people have to bitch and moan because they're not quite what they want them to be. It's bad enough that the US says "fuck it" to the rest of the world for roughly half the year, let's just go whole hog and do whatever the hell we want, when we want. I want RPT...8:00 AM is whenever sunrise is and 8:00 PM is sunset, regardless of the solar cycle because I want to maximize my daylight time!
What in the fuck are you going on about?

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017

Amirite?

this made me laugh but prolly not in the way you'd want me to laugh at it (aka at you, not with you)

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
In Philadelphia,

if Standard Time were year-round:
the earliest sunrise: 4:31am
the latest sunrise: 7:22am
the earliest sunset: 4:35pm
the latest sunset: 7:33pm

if DST were year-round:
the earliest sunrise: 5:31am
the latest sunrise: 8:22am
the earliest sunset: 5:35pm
the latest sunset: 8:33pm

how it is currently:

(i think i did this right)

anyway, standard time is trash. 4:30am sunrise? 7:30 sunset, at the latest? no way.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Please let this be the first non-partisan thing that (almost) everyone can agree on. Get this done. One small win in a nightmare of unsolvable issues.

Or, the left can prove they're as big of babies as the right, and react as the right would've had Obama made a similar tweet. I'm pinning my hopes on enough liberals being adults for this to get traction.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I just you know, I do things with people around the world that require organization and scheduling and that becomes a bigger nightmare if some of us are permanently in DST instead of either switching when most switch or ideally staying in real time.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I love it when it's still light at 10:30pm, sitting outside chilling. This needs to be standard. I don't give a fuck about it being dark in the morning for work, as I have to work. I want it to be light when I've finished work.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
What we have is the best of both worlds. You'd swap a couple days of misery for half a year of misery*

*Depends on your location obviously.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
YEah like ... you can't do DST. We already have timezones.

I'm all for ditching the switch but you gotta pick Standard, I don't see any other way.

If your argument is "I hate it when it's dark" or whatever, what do you propose is done about the existing international time zone framework? the whole thing shifts because you have feels about daylight hours?
I mean, yes.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
I actually agree that we should just pick one and stick with it. I wonder how he messes this newest bill up though.

Probably tries to add Wall Funding to it or something like that.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'lm a night owl, I enjoy evenings. What I do not like is getting up before dawn. It doesn't agree with my circadian rhythm.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Which one of you wants it to be dark
outside soon after work . Raise your hands

If you raised your hands , please go to detention

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
the number of fatal traffic accidents spike every year with the time switch. People get into biological rhythms, changing our perception of time is actually dangerous and manifests in people getting poorer sleep, which demonstrably results in more traffic deaths.
I find that absolutely ridiculous to be honest. It's one fricking hour and people act they just got off an 18 hour flight from Australia with worst case scenario jet lag.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Of course he's on the wrong side of life.

The Maps That Prove the Daylight Saving Cycle Is Ruining Our Lives

f2f0bf38-ead0-49cd-a2kjfw.jpeg

3a77c8b5-4d50-4e7c-8b7k2m.jpeg

49040fc8-380a-44f9-a6djxb.jpeg

https://www.citylab.com/environment...-daylight-saving-is-ruining-our-lives/417600/

That chart is beyond useless. The benefit of daylight savings time is that during the spring and summer families can actually have time together after work where the sun is still out. So a chart showing a sunset of 5pm or later means nothing because if the sun goes down at 5:15 I can't spend time with my kids outside. That's not a reasonable sunset time for me.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
In Philadelphia,

if Standard Time were year-round:
the earliest sunrise: 4:31am
the latest sunset: 7:33pm

if DST were year-round:
the latest sunrise: 8:22am
the earliest sunset: 5:35pm

how it is currently:

(i think i did this right)

anyway, standard time is trash. 4:30am sunrise? 7:30 sunset, at the latest? no way.

I think you have this wrong for sunrises.

Oct 25, 2017
The assumption here is that 5pm is a reasonable sunset time, which I don't agree with at all.
It's not like that all year long. We just associate Standard with Winter so we assume sunset would always occur at 5PM under Standard time. 7:30 sunsets are completely normal for Summer around the world.

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Amirite?

Never thought I'd see someone get so fucking heated over DST.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017

Amirite?

You do know Europe is doing the same fucking thing. Aren't they even allowing the individual countries decide also which they will do.