Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people surprised? The one thing Trump cares about (other than looking good/spreading his brand/making opponents look bad) is business. A single standardized time will help businesses communicate internationally.

For me, I prefer it in "Savings Time mode" - I prefer darker in mornings, brighter in evenings. Helps with the evening commute, feels more like I actually have time to do stuff in the evenings (even if it's an illusion). I don't really do anything in the mornings that light would help with, and even when I was a kid, I liked walking to the bus stop in the dark.

Last edited:

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Things I do on a weekday morning:
  • Drag my ass to the sink to get ready for work
  • Take a shit
  • Get dressed
  • Make lunch

Things I do on a weekday evening:
  • Yardwork/outdoor housework
  • Coach kid's sport team
  • BBQ dinner on occasion
  • Hobby photography
  • Hobby woodworking

Yeah, I give zero fucks if it's dark for the morning activities. Daylights Savings late evenings are the best evenings.

Oct 25, 2017
The time change is useless and dreadful, we should definitely pick one and stick to it permanently. I'm glad that CA lately has been starting to prepare for that possibility.

My personal preference is for it to get dark earlier, it helps me get to sleep and the early sunrise helps me get up. Feels natural to bodily function. But you know what Mr. Spock said about the needs of the few.
I think permanent DST makes enough sense considering most peoples schedules, so I'm not mad at DST bros. Societal activity favors the afternoon more than the morning. If they chose that one it would be fine and probably make the most people happy.

I'd be really happy for myself if they abolished DST, though. And generally without DST, the majority of the USA's major cities are closer to real solar time. And if they moved the timezone borders in the US a little east to align better with the proper timezone longitudes, then it would be even more accurate for a larger number of people.

Thanks to the way they're currently segregated, we're a little misaligned and people living on the far western ends of their timezones are sometimes way off. If they corrected this their placements would slightly change:
Pacific time would end around the Phoenix/Salt Lake City longitude.
Mountain time would end around Austin/Oklahoma City.
Central Time would end around the Cleveland/Tampa line.
Then everything east would of course be Eastern time.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most people get off at 5ish. There's still light until almost 8 even without DST, in the summer. What are you doing so late that you MUST have sunlight?

Without DST in the winter, it gets dark at 4:30 where I live. I usually get home around 5 pm. That is 30 minutes of sunlight for me to enjoy. Without DST, when I get home, it's literally night time.

What am I doing so late? Working.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer standard time. I would take either one over switching twice a year.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
What most really hate when they say 'I hate DST' is standard time so I'm all for keeping DST permanent.

Last edited:

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Why are people surprised? The one thing Trump cares about (other than looking good/spreading his brand/making opponents look bad) is business. A single standardized time will help businesses communicate internationally.

"With the elimination of daylight savings, we have done an amazing, amazing thing. Nobody else had the guts to do it! Now, for the first time, businesses around the world can communicate internationally according to a single standardized time"

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Without DST in the winter, it gets dark at 4:30 where I live. I usually get home around 5 pm. That is 30 minutes of sunlight for me to enjoy. Without DST, when I get home, it's literally night time.

What am I doing so late? Working.

I don't know where you live, but in the midwest it's not like that. Another example of how this is not a one size fits all solution, changing to DST instead of Standard Time.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
MW0KlB7CU1oRYGtWiZWXfx7gbwv9cBuJxNEXgQO3mRI.gif

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I work outside in the field in construction. If your inconvenience is you want sunlight at the end of the day so you can contemplate about life with a nice sunset fuck you lmao. I am God damn cold at 7 am, it's dark, we can't get work done for safety issues.

Standard time or nothing. 1v1 me I know gorilla warfare.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This would actually really improve my life. I hope that it does become permanent.

I feel exhausted coming home to complete darkness in Florida at only 7 PM. Then I have to cook dinner and I feel like it's time to go to fucking bed because it's pitch black.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Coming out of work and it being dark out seriously depresses me. Like real deal depression. That's more than enough reason to keep daylight savings time.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
  • Take a shit
  • Get dressed
  • Make lunch

• Coach kid's sport team
  • BBQ dinner on occasion
  • Hobby photography
  • Hobby woodworking

Yeah, I give zero fucks if it's dark for the morning activities. Daylights Savings late evenings are the best evenings.

What time does your work day start? I start at 7 and it pisses me off to start an hour earlier this week so that people working at 9AM can see the sun after their work day.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
What time does your work day start? I start at 7 and it pisses me off to start an hour earlier this week so that people working at 9AM can see the sun after their work day.
Do you work outdoors? If not, then why does that piss you off for it to be dark outside in the mornings? If you are complaining about having an hour less sleep, the whole point of this is to make it not change so that doesn't happen ever again. Personally I work indoors, I couldn't care less about how bright it is outside while I work.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
7:30 here and I'm a proponent for standard time. Even starting at 9AM last week on a business trip though, I was happy to go and hang out with coworkers even as it got dark and then some. I don't see the big freakin' deal with it being dark a little earlier. Keeps me from having a damn heatstroke...yeah, I prefer winter in addition to standard time! The horror!

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
  • Take a shit
  • Get dressed
  • Make lunch

• Coach kid's sport team
  • BBQ dinner on occasion
  • Hobby photography
  • Hobby woodworking

100% all this. (minus the photog and wood working).

I dont care how nice it is in the morning , I still am miserable, give me my evenings.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
The problem with those maps is 7am and 5pm aren't reasonable sunrise or sunset.

Reasonable sunset should be after 7 which gives people at least an hour after work to do things. Reasonable sunrise should be 6am which gives people at least an hour before work to do things.

Have Andy redo his maps for those times and we'll talk.
We should just tell the sun to hold up a bit

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
'cause 'Murica! Fuck Yeah!

Amirite?

The entire world manged to agree on a set of time zones, but people have to bitch and moan because they're not quite what they want them to be. It's bad enough that the US says "fuck it" to the rest of the world for roughly half the year, let's just go whole hog and do whatever the hell we want, when we want. I want RPT...8:00 AM is whenever sunrise is and 8:00 PM is sunset, regardless of the solar cycle because I want to maximize my daylight time!
Hit the gym

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yes please. Standard is wack and I fill sorry for all you northerners where the sun rises at 4 fucking AM in standard. What actual benefit is there to an earlier sunrise for the vast majority of the public? Last I checked people do things AFTER work and school. More sunlight in the evening means more people doing shit.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I'm either losing my mind or an idiot? How do you figure 4:30 am for sunrise? I'm st nearly the same latitude as you here in CT. Currently, the earliest sunrise possible is around 6:28 nov 4th or 6:12 March 9.

timeanddate.com tells me the earliest sunrise in june is around 5:30. that's on DST. it'd be 4:30 if it was standard.

5UBCF8e.jpg

also, i checked new haven connecticut and around mid june, the sun is rising at 5:18am?

the clocks change in november / march but the extremes for sunsets and sunrises are around december / june.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Most people get off at 5ish. There's still light until almost 8 even without DST, in the summer. What are you doing so late that you MUST have sunlight?

Its nice and warm in the spring too. Really helpful to have daylight after work so i can work in the garden during the spring so it can be enjoyed in the summer. Trying to condense all of your outdoor work to Saturday and Sunday really sucks when you are a homeowner with a family and your kids want to spend that time playing. Now we can play and work during the week when i get off work.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
This might be one of the few things left in America where no giant industry or secretly-funded interest has found a good enough reason to send in lobbyists and poison the well of discourse, so we might actually be able to change something

I don't even have a dog in the fight, I'll just be amazed if we're able to collectively and legislatively decide to make a change like this and then get on with it

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
  • Take a shit
  • Get dressed
  • Make lunch

• Coach kid's sport team
  • BBQ dinner on occasion
  • Hobby photography
  • Hobby woodworking

That photography hobby can benefit from late sunrises as well.