• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gerg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking that when it broke.

Probably expecting a relatively quiet shift and then you're broadcasting this news to millions.

I presume they've got a ton of pre-records lined up.

There will be reams of pre-planned material. I know there's "Operation London Bridge" for when the queen dies; there must be similar, if only smaller, arrangements for Philip.

Given his age and increasingly poor health I doubt this will be a big shock.

WesWes

Apr 25, 2018
Sad news, but a really impressive innings.

I'm not going to enjoy all the media build-up to the Funeral with the focus being on Harry and Megan's return.

Fully expect a national day of mourning to be announced.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Maybe all the memes will now finally stop. Always were a bit distasteful. But I don't really know much of him and whether they were justified to begin with, I suppose

Dec 2, 2017
Meanwhile on the Telegraph/Daily Mail

HARRY AND MEGHAN USE AN AIRPLANE TO RETURN TO UK FOR FUNERAL YET THEY CLAIM TO CARE ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT?

Ixian

Nov 25, 2018
It's good that thanks to the internet we're not so dependent on the television for entertainment anymore. The death of the last one ruined television for what felt like weeks.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I thought he was going to die before with all the health problems he had.

Dude lived a long life.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Very sad news. I hope Elizabeth is okay. To be married to someone for so long and then to have them gone must be devastating.

Thanks for posting something like this. I'm not going to read anymore of this thread as it'll be full of hot takes from people who knew nothing about his life.

I'm expecting the press to turn up here in Windsor today, but just looking out the window there's nothing going on out of the ordinary at the castle.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Was thinking that when it broke.

Probably expecting a relatively quiet shift and then you're broadcasting this news to millions.

I presume they've got a ton of pre-records lined up.

Yep, not doubt it's a similar situation to all the Queen arrangements. They've probably had everything they had pre-recorded lined up to go live in seconds, ever since his heart surgery was announced.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if this will mess up my scheduled recording of the master chef final

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting life. Went through tonnes of shit as a kid, as much as a royal could get without being murdered anyway.

Fairly sympathetic portrayal on the crown unlike anyone else, though didn't really show his ridiculous casual racism, maybe they were saving it for the next couple of seasons.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Gonna be insufferable with the amount of royal bullshit we will get now.

Let's all feel sorry for someone who got to live the life of luxury and hoard wealth all while helping to keep others impoverished due to interference in legal policies.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
The Queen is an unforgivable racist and is reigning over the breakup of the empire as a direct result. She will go down in infamy.

I have no sympathy for her.

Deleted member 21431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't see us having a "day off" for this, given Boris' recent pronouncement that the British have had enough days off already..... /s

I am kinda "meh" about this. As a republican, fewer royals is a good thing. Also he cheated on the Queen many times and was a racist, so he was no saint by any definition of the word. However, heart goes out to his widow, as being married for 73 years and losing a loved one is going to hit hard.

Think I will not bother switching on the news channels for a few days and even stepping foot into a Newsagent - newspaper headlines and wall to wall TV coverage is going to be insufferable.

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah, without sounding morbid, I don't know what the normal protocol is for broadcasters and stuff for something like this.

I remember reading something about what happens when the Queen dies (a lot), but this is obviously slightly different.

They definitely have plans in place. The dude was almost artificially being kept alive the last few years due to the very best healthcare.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
It's not protocol for anyone other than the ruling monarch dying for their to be days off. We have a populist government selling cheap patriotism though so it really wouldn't be out the question for them to designate one though.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be insufferable with the amount of royal bullshit we will get now.

Let's all feel sorry for someone who got to live the life of luxury and hoard wealth all while helping to keep others impoverished due to interference in legal policies.

+1

Cant't understand the brits' hard-on for tradition and royals.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Godspeed, you racist piece of shit from a bygone era. At least you were entertaining sometimes.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely unquestionably. He's equivalent to the Queen in most matters of royal protocol about his death, such as public mourning periods etc.

No he isn't at all? The protocols are completely different in every respect. Charles and William have bigger funerals than him. It's a totally different affair on every level.