• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wonder what will happen to the Fornite accounts that were on PS4 first. Will we be able to link them to other consoles now?

Oct 25, 2017
And some people can't just be happy and still devolve shit into console wars.

Listen if some people want to thank Sony. So be it. If some don't so be it. It's just fucking video games.

Yall complain more than you enjoy them these days.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
To those who told the rest of us to stop complaining about this -- that it didn't matter -- hopefully you see now that it did. This is why we shouldn't give up and allow anti-consumer decisions. Change can happen.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who only plays Fortnite on PS4, this is good stuff. Congrats to all the people who kept the pressure up for this, the efforts paid off. The rollout might be slow, but I feel this was the last real hurdle to a universal crossplay future, and we're about to enter a new normal.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I now want to see a Fortnite TV ad with all three console manufacturers playing together. It'd be surreal.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Now that we're all in a big happy family, I can play Fortnite on PC and just set it so I play only against Nintendo Switch players right

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
That's... not how it is though. There are only 15-ish titles that have cross-play between Switch and Xbox, for instance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_that_support_cross-platform_play
Yes?
Doesn't change the fact that it's open for everything as long as the dev implement it.
For many devs, there was no point semparating their servers.
Which wouldn't be needed if Sony allows crossplay (and not just "for select third party game" while still blocking the rest).

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to see how this propagates to other games.

Call of Duty is ever adaptable, I wonder if they will be next.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Stance is still the same: don't care about cross-play (but won't turn down some friendly competition with Xbox and Nintendo players), but glad that they are reversing their policy on cross-progression, that was always BS

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It's finally over. Lick my balls everyone who argued against this and said by complaining on the internet meant nothing.

Ghostbound

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I damn sure didn't think they would budge until next gen started. Good job for not allowing the arrogance on this matter run any longer then it already has Sony.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The amount of anger in here is surprising to me seeing as it's what everyone wanted. Who cares if they're late -- they still actually gave you exactly what you were asking for.

Unbelievable.
Because now some fanboys have 1 less thing to complain about Sony. It hurts. Everyone should be happy about this. Its just 1 game but its a huge step to a possible future where all multiplayer games could be crossplay.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow... big concession from Sony at this point... If they were going to do it, I figured they would have back when it was in the news every day... the fact that they did it AFTER the pressure died down and it was out already out of the daily news cycle is interesting. I wonder what percentage of Fortnite players Sony lost as a result of the prior policy and if the Fortnite PS4 bundle sold less than predicted as a result and that was the trigger -- impact to the "bottom line" rather than some criticism on the internet.

I'm sure they wouldn't have budged if there weren't some financial incentive, Sony doesn't actually care about individual consumers.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Still actually shocked they caved. They even recently pretty much just told everyone "no, fuck off and stop asking" I'd love to know what was the final straw.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Yes?
Doesn't change the fact that it's open for everything as long as the dev implement it.
For many devs, there was no point semparating their servers.
Which wouldn't be needed if Sony allows crossplay (and not just "for select third party game" while still blocking the rest).

Ah, I see what you're saying. Yeah, Sony is still just dipping their toes. Hopefully positive support for this decision will help motivate them loosen the shackles some more.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Business-wise it's a good move that they 1) accepted cross-platform play as it's the future & 2) handled this relatively 'early'. You don't want to start next-gen hype on the back of 'arrogant Sony'.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Need a bunch of testimonials telling me I can log into my Switch account on PS4 and everything is okay before I do it. Shit is nerve-wracking because of how it worked before