• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console arrive?

• H2 2019

Votes: 638 14.1%
  • H1 2020

Votes: 724 16.0%
  • H2 2020

Votes: 2,813 62.2%
  • H1 2021

Votes: 141 3.1%
  • H2 2021

Votes: 208 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks 16 gigs of ram would be a small number for a true generation jump? Of course, anything above that would greatly affect the final price, even more with them releasing an improved version of the same console in the future. But I would like to see the strongest console possible from the start, with something between 18 and 24 gigs.
It would be disappointing Imo. After Os you'd likely lose 4GB so 12Gb for games sounds like an awful upgrade.

I'm hoping 24GB min

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
this is probably going to be my last reply to you, because it seems you dont really understand how this works. to put it very simply:

when multiple SKUs had no difference but storage space, they were more hurtful than harmful when it came to things like manufacturing, shipping, product orders, marketing, product placement, customer service, customer support, logistics etc. All things that go in to the process of selling a new console.

Now take into account you are discussing multiple SKUs that have actual different features between consoles and different user experiences. Youre multiplying everything i said above by a large number. Only increasing the hassle. There was a reason why there was only 1 type of PS4 and XB1 at launch.

If you think any of the platform holders will launch multiple SKUs at launch, even just a 1TB & 2TB version, that is mistaken. Now add to that you think there will be things like a mid-grade cheap version, a super powerful overpriced version, and a bare bones streaming console for dirt cheap? Like i said on your original post, whatever planet you envision this happening on, it's not earth. There will be *one* PS5, and *one* Xbox Scarlet.

This will ensure that all launch logistics are aligned, marketing is aligned, and the consumer base is aligned. Mid-gen refreshes dont have to worry about this because they have their own set of these logistics. So comparing them to multiple launch SKUs makes zero sense.

Everything points to a streaming and regular console (at least) being released. PHIL SPENCER HIMSELF said they are working on "consoles" PLURAL.

There WILL be two (at least) SKUs. Everything points to you being wrong already. Stop treating me like I'm simple. I'm probably right.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ruling something out implies that you have some information to stave your conclusion. And as he keeps saying, while he's erring towards 2019 probably not being the case, he doesn't really have any conclusive statements to say that it definitely won't be the case.

This. Let's stop hounding Jason to make a statement that he can't stand behind. If he had definitive information about PS5, he'd be hard at work on an article about it. As he's said before, he feels that information about console hardware is fair game for "leaks" as it provides a benefit to consumers.

Nov 30, 2017
Are we...sure ps5 is Navi 2? No one knows of the delay is real, but If it was supposed to be released 2019 would zen 2 even be possible?

Edit: wasn't their a report that Said it would have elements of zen 2 but not the whole thing? At the same time zen 2 is fundamentally 7nm, zen and zen plus are not. So it's just very confusing

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking about zen and zen 2.

And yeah I fully expect custom parts and nothing off the shelf.

With AMDs road map to their own products and every little piece of evidence around the web I'm in the 2020 camp. I'm sure they are going to give us the best they can for a customer friendly price. That's all I can personally ask for.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about Jason, but I definitely don't know what you meant.

About PS4 Pro? It's covered on this page. Sony kept really quiet about it until a few months before the announcement/launch. The user in question was basically asking if Jason believes something like that could happen for PS5. Keep it mum until really close to launch if it is more of an iteration on PS4.

I'm not sure I see that happening, as it'd lead to a really slow start for next-gen games. Unless all we're expecting from next-gen is PS4 games with better textures, framerates, and AI.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I am 90% sure, based on conversations with a fair number of developers, that the PS5 is scheduled for 2020. The 10% is because I haven't yet seen or heard concrete plans for it, and because with hardware launches, anything can change. (It might even wind up coming out later!)

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I am 90% sure, based on conversations with a fair number of developers, that the PS5 is scheduled for 2020. The 10% is because I haven't yet seen or heard concrete plans for it, and because with hardware launches, anything can change. (It might even wind up coming out later!)
Thank you for your contribution jason.much appreciated .as I told the 2019 team, we still even don't have a leak on PS5 code name ,let alone specs.so 12 months seems unreal at this point .end of 2011 we had PS4 leaks .

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

I wonder if Sony can pull a Spring 2020 launch or it could end up detrimental to Holiday 19 PS4 sales?

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mmm... thats great news. Thanks for sharing with us. Sorry Team 2019

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Sony can pull a Spring 2020 launch or it could end up detrimental to Holiday 19 PS4 sales?

Based on some of the pricing we're seeing now, I think Sony would still do quite well with PS4 if they lowered MSRP. Give us a $199 - $249 console SKU and the people who are interested in the PS4 in 2019 won't even bat an eye at the "new" box.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
*chisels in another letter on the #team2019 tombstone*

you answered your own question there bucko

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
About PS4 Pro? It's covered on this page. Sony kept really quiet about it until a few months before the announcement/launch. The user in question was basically asking if Jason believes something like that could happen for PS5. Keep it mum until really close to launch if it is more of an iteration on PS4.

I don't think so.

PS4 Pro was a minor/small change for developers - at least from a development point of view, if not QA - while a new console cycle means a whole new baseline of specs. And while not every developer will immediately jump to that baseline, pubs will want to know about it for planning, much earlier than they needed to know about PS4 Pro and the need for a few extra lines of code for a higher display buffer or whatever. It was not very disruptive... a new console cycle is, even if it's going to be gentler in terms of API differences than maybe previous transitions were. It has business ramifications, strategy and planning ramifications.

So no, I don't think we can use PS4 Pro as an indicator here. If Sony kept that quiet for longer, it's because they could afford to... it was a 'small' deal to spring on pubs/devs. They'll need to talk to more pubs/devs about PS5 earlier.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think so.

PS4 Pro was a minor/small change for developers - at least from a development point of view, if not QA - while a new console cycle means a whole new baseline of specs. And while not every developer will immediately jump to that baseline, pubs will want to know about it for planning, much earlier than they needed to know about PS4 Pro and the need for a few extra lines of code for a higher display buffer or whatever. It was not very disruptive... a new console cycle is, even if it's going to be gentler in terms of API differences than maybe previous transitions were.

So no, I don't think we can use PS4 Pro as an indicator here. If Sony kept that quiet for longer, it's because they could afford to... it was a 'small' deal to spring on pubs/devs. They'll need to talk to more pubs/devs about PS5 earlier.

Agreed. I kinda roll my eyes every time Pro is used as an example of PS5 dev kits being shipped out to devs last minute.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so.

PS4 Pro was a minor/small change for developers - at least from a development point of view, if not QA - while a new console cycle means a whole new baseline of specs. And while not every developer will immediately jump to that baseline, pubs will want to know about it for planning, much earlier than they needed to know about PS4 Pro and the need for a few extra lines of code for a higher display buffer or whatever. It was not very disruptive... a new console cycle is, even if it's going to be gentler in terms of API differences than maybe previous transitions were.

Either you omitted the second part of my post because it already agrees with your response, or I added it after the fact without realizing and you just missed it! Either way, I agree with you! I was just explaining what the original post in that chain was referring to.

Last edited:

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
OLED for PSVR2 is likely wrong
OLED is possible because Sony manufactures them for their various devices. HMZ T1-T3 used great small 720p OLEDs [and same displays were used as viewfinders for their cameras, electric binoculars, etc]. Vita also used Sony's own OLED. And Sony also produces phenomenal 30" OLED TV for film mastering [reference grade greatness].

BTW, LG has a patent on WRGB subpixels, so Sony uses plain old RGB.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Just for clarity, would it be true to say developers don't have launch timing windows to share (or at least that they are willing to share)?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I have a creeping suspicion that it's going to be 2021.
They'll both ride out this gen for as long as possible and will launch in such a way as to not give each other a year head start. Process tech slow down makes this a lot easier as you can have your design ready for production and wait on it looking at the prices falling down while not being afraid of the competitor launching on the next gen process leapfroging your console performance. So 2021 is possible, sure.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Thank you for the info, Jason. There was something I wanted to ask, and I completely understand if you can't answer it - are any of these developers you've spoken to first-party, or are they all third-party?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure I see that happening, as it'd lead to a really slow start for next-gen games. Unless all we're expecting from next-gen is PS4 games with better textures, framerates, and AI.

From first parties it wouldn't matter

From third parties you aren't getting amazing future next gen games initially anyway. You'll get their existing games with the effects turned up to 11 on their already established PC based scalable engines and that's just fine

Feb 10, 2018
Im pretty convident the next Xbox is planned for a Nov 2020 launch.
Phil saying that the hardware teams are deep into development of next gen must mean they have been working on next gen for at least a year.
3years dev time for a console is what history has taught us.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking about zen and zen 2.

And yeah I fully expect custom parts and nothing off the shelf.

With AMDs road map to their own products and every little piece of evidence around the web I'm in the 2020 camp. I'm sure they are going to give us the best they can for a customer friendly price. That's all I can personally ask for.

So could PS5 basically have a zen cpu just shrunk down to 7nm? Basically a zen 1.5. what would just shrinking it add to its performance without any of the other bells and whistles?

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017
Are we...sure ps5 is Navi 2? No one knows of the delay is real, but If it was supposed to be released 2019 would zen 2 even be possible?

Edit: wasn't their a report that Said it would have elements of zen 2 but not the whole thing? At the same time zen 2 is fundamentally 7nm, zen and zen plus are not. So it's just very confusing

IMO, you're confusing yourself alone...

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Noooo. I want some new hardware already. Please be spring 2020 , fall/holiday 2020 is two years. TWO years.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I sort of wonder if there would be two SKUs from both console makers. One for the generic consumer, and one for the hardcore audience. It feels strange that every other industry will kinda do this at launch, but console manufacturers do not do this. Even Nvidia launched 2080 and 2080TI, or how mobile phones get constantly replaced on a yearly basis. Heck even TVs launch with 4-6 different SKUs. I know consoles are "just" for gaming, but I kinda wish they would just go all out on these. Cause if we're getting another laptop CPU tier consoles, oh boy, that is not going to be fun in 2019/2020

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sort of wonder if there would be two SKUs from both console makers. One for the generic consumer, and one for the hardcore audience. It feels strange that every other industry will kinda do this at launch, but console manufacturers do not do this. Even Nvidia launched 2080 and 2080TI, or how mobile phones get constantly replaced on a yearly basis. Heck even TVs launch with 4-6 different SKUs. I know consoles are "just" for gaming, but I kinda wish they would just go all out on these. Cause if we're getting another laptop CPU tier consoles, oh boy, that is not going to be fun in 2019/2020
The "hardcore audience" does not offer enough money to support a separate SKU.
To be more exact, the "hardcore audience" is smaller than you think because the PC gamer market siphons off those who ended up dissatisfied with console performance. So you end up with only those who both want more powerful consoles AND don't want to game on PCs. That shrinks the numbers significantly.

And to make it worse, since the money is in the software, Sony and Microsoft really don't get more money from a hardcore person than a normal person. Selling a more expensive console doesn't bring in more money overall than selling a normal $399 machine to the same person.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
OLED is possible because Sony manufactures them for their various devices. HMZ T1-T3 used great small 720p OLEDs [and same displays were used as viewfinders for their cameras, electric binoculars, etc]. Vita also used Sony's own OLED. And Sony also produces phenomenal 30" OLED TV for film mastering [reference grade greatness].

BTW, LG has a patent on WRGB subpixels, so Sony uses plain old RGB.
Vita uses Samsung Oled

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
Sorry team 2019, think I'm (back on) team 2020. I call 'em as I see 'em. While 2019 remains theoretically possible (never say never until February ends), it's looking more likely to me that late 2020 is going to be the launch point for both Sony and Microsoft.

It's going to be a long two years and a relatively barren E3 2019 (how many NG games get shown this time?), but there's plenty still to be excited about (and, oh, my backlog!).

I hope the hardware & software teams take full advantage of the time they have left - if the two year hardware lock remains accurate, I guess they just finished design work huh?

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The current PSVR uses OLED. There's no reason to believe the next version would use anything else.

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for sharing that!

Personally I'd love 2020. More time to be developed. Would love for a tie into the Ps2's 20th anniversary which will be October 2020 for US.

Oct 27, 2017
Announce it a couple days b4 Christmas and they might be all right.
It would be better to do a switch style January event for an April or May release. No reason to affect retailer sales of ps4.

Remember a lot of holiday return periods end around the first week of January so they'd get a lot of returns potentially if they did it in December

FSmallhands

Nov 3, 2017
I get the leaning toward 2020 from those citing a lack of leaks etc.

However if this was backed by a roadmap of games extending into 2020 i could get on board with it.

This is the only time I can recall (which i am happy to be corrected on) where the roadmap for games literally drops off a cliff 6-12 months from now. And even then that slate is relatively small.

Its also such a long time, 2 years! The momentum will have really slowed by then on the current gen and frustrations around its capabilities for the hardcore will be abound. I mean, can it really get any better than RDR2!?

I just get the feeling that because no one is coming out to say definitely it isn't next year (because they won't want to harm xmas sales for this gen by saying it is next year, also not wanting the PR blowback by suddenly announcing Feb after denying its on the horizon) means the silence speaks volumes to me.

Probably wrong, nothing to back this up, just looking at the pieces and trying to read the runes.