Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
^
It'd be ballsy if MS announced a new Xbox now, for 2019 launch. I could see it as like a 360 move where they try to get ahead of Sony. But it could also backfire in a Sega Saturn way. Stupid, but ballsy.
If Microsoft can win in terms of price and specs versus the PS5, XBox One X will be a distant memory to everyone.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
If Microsoft can win in terms of price and specs versus the PS5, XBox One X will be a distant memory to everyone.

MS being competitive with Sony is the distant memory. Whatever their next console is, assuming they even make one, it's not going to get traction in the markets outside the US that they totally squandered this gen.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
MS being competitive with Sony is the distant memory. Whatever their next console is, assuming they even make one, it's not going to get traction in the markets outside the US that they totally squandered this gen.

Yup,seems that many people are not aware that Xbox is competitive only in US & UK markets.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Sony doesn't give a shit about machine learning

Speaking of learning, Andrew House recently mentioned that he believes that leveraging player data will play a big role in content next-gen, and the Sony engineers do have an AI assistant patent where it examines player data and shapes content based on how they are playing a game. I wonder if that's related?

edit: Also lots of foveated rendering patents, which will probably be used for PSVR2.

Last edited:

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
edit: Also lots of foveated rendering patents, which will probably be used for PSVR2.

Oh nice, where's this from? If true, foveated rendering combined with a super high pixel density display (some company, LG I think announced this recently), and the rendering power of PS5 could make PSVR 2 absolutely breathtaking. Imagine GT Sport but running looking like how it would playing crisp 1080p on a TV, but In VR... Ooft. Also makes virtual cinema screen usage far more viable as a true replacement for your TV, if you just want a massive virtual screen. I really hope they do a proper laser tracking system and get the weight of the headset down. Wireless would be cool but maybe it could be an add on as I imagine that would be very expensive...

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Oh nice, where's this from? If true, foveated rendering combined with a super high pixel density display (some company, LG I think announced this recently), and the rendering power of PS5 could make PSVR 2 absolutely breathtaking. Imagine GT Sport but running looking like how it would playing crisp 1080p on a TV, but In VR... Ooft. Also makes virtual cinema screen usage far more viable as a true replacement for your TV, if you just want a massive virtual screen. I really hope they do a proper laser tracking system and get the weight of the headset down. Wireless would be cool but maybe it could be an add on as I imagine that would be very expensive...

http://www.freshpatents.com/Andrew-Young-San-Mateo-invdxy.php

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
With PSVR selling only about 2 million units (more then Rift and Vive combine,but still low) how much business sense PSVR 2 makes...? All this just confirms that VR devices are niche and not mainstream products like PS itself.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
With PSVR selling only about 2 million units (more then Rift and Vive combine,but still low) how much business sense PSVR 2 makes...? All this just confirms that VR devices are niche and not mainstream products like PS itself.

Those numbers don't seem bad to me. 2 million in one year.

Especially as it's really hard to market. People need to try it before buying it . Think it will continue to grow as the technology gets better and support grows.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

Shuhei Yoshida said at PSX 2017 that VR has something like a 20 year roadmap and that they're only at the beginning of that roadmap, with the tech advancing more and more it should become more attractive to consumers. He also said VR games are tough to promote because trailers don't do them justice, you have to see it in VR.

So I think they know it'll be a slow burn and won't stop investing in the tech any time soon.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if there's some people like me out there that love the idea of VR but have been waiting for gen2 before jumping in. I just didn't want to pay for the move based VR system ;)

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I think it's sold well for an expensive peripheral.

Once the fidelity of the experience improves it will only get better. There's some games that would be elevated entirely with full VR support. GT Sport shows that game would be exceptional if VR could be implemented across all game modes. It works so well and GT Sport 2 or whatever it will be on PS5 has no excuse to not have the full feature set available in VR. It's transformative. Already pretty impressive given the low fidelity tech atm, imagining it in a few years is tantalising.

Sony have a foothold and mindshare in this market and it WILL become something. Just wait until Apple does AR/VR goggles, the market will be huge, and Sony are not in a bad place to be there along side at least as it goes for console VR.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Speaking of learning, Andrew House recently mentioned that he believes that leveraging player data will play a big role in content next-gen, and the Sony engineers do have an AI assistant patent where it examines player data and shapes content based on how they are playing a game. I wonder if that's related?

I don't think gaming will have ML needs on the scale of what academics or those processing real world inputs would. The inputs and outputs in a game system are necessarily constrained, probably more tolerant of latency when it comes to modifying game behavior, and may not need to be done locally, or desired locally in the context of an online game.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Interesting new video from DF talking about the upcoming E3 conferences and thoughts about PS5/NG:

Very interesting preview. Both make points/arguments I've posted here about PS5 and they are definitely leaning toward late 2019 as a lot of things seem to be lining up to indicate such. They just need a confirmation leak to really have the confidence to state it outright I think.

It is also very obvious that Richard reads this thread with his comment about PS4 owners being upset at the thought of PS5 coming in 18 months! He should sign-up and join in....

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Very interesting preview. Both make points/arguments I've posted here about PS5 and they are definitely leaning toward late 2019 as a lot of things seem to be lining up to indicate such. They just need a confirmation leak to really have the confidence to state it outright I think.

It is also very obvious that Richard reads this thread with his comment about PS4 owners being upset at the thought of PS5 coming in 18 months! He should sign-up and join in....

Yup,i am sure R.Leadbetter knows much more about PS5 then we here.I bet he is waiting green light from Sony to "leak" something in DF in the next few months :)

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

He was referring to the massive amount of dislikes on his PS5 Generational Leap video haha. Even I was surprised because he put forward a really reasonable and knowledgable analysis of the tech that can be used.

But yeah I'm sure he reads this thread. It'd be fun if he did sign up.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
He was referring to the massive amount of dislikes on his PS5 Generational Leap video haha. Even I was surprised because he put forward a really reasonable and knowledgable analysis of the tech that can be used.

But yeah I'm sure he reads this thread. It'd be fun if he did sign up.

Was he!? Well, I guess some of those same people were the ones that made a single post in this thread to make it quite clear Sony shouldn't release PS5 before 2020/21!

They even point out in the new video that even if PS5 comes in late 2019 it would be the second longest gen and the one that was longer, everyone agrees was too long.....Seems to me the PS4 is the Goldilocks of gens.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017

Opinions in this thread are downright tame and reasonable compared to those in other next gen-focused threads on era.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Make great games and it won't matter. Great games get gamers period the end.

Totally agree with this. It will take a minimum of 3-5 years to bare fruit if things are started this year with a number of studios. In the meantime I guess paying for exclusive third-party games is all they can do until then.

Copying Sony's WWS would be the best thing Microsoft could do, not only for them but us gamers. I would love to have two consoles again as I used to when younger but Microsoft first-party rarely make the type of games I like.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Not to be a dick, but they had great games on 360 and a year headstart and outside of the UK it made a squat of difference for the competitiveness with Sony outside of the English speaking world

They still sold 80 million or so units and were much, much more successful in terms of mind and market share with the 360. Games, hardware and attractive price points all matter.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't Avalanche one of the first Devs we had confirmed as working on a next gen title ?

We know of 3 games they're making, is it one of them or are they working on a 4th game? Seems like a lot.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
They still sold 80 million or so units and were much, much more successful in terms of mind and market share with the 360. Games, hardware and attractive price points all matter.

They released a cheaper console, with exclusive (better) games early on, a year ahead of time with a platform easier to develop for. With Sony then following up with "get a second job for this system" (paraphrase). Not to mention 360 had a phenomenon with Kinect. Last gen should have been a motherfucking beat down evisceration of the PS1 on n64 scale. The fact that at the end of the gen the sales numbers were so close that it's debatable who sold more and either way it's within 2-3 million tells you all you need to know about the Xbox brand outside of North America

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Wasn't Avalanche one of the first Devs we had confirmed as working on a next gen title ?

We know of 3 games they're making, is it one of them or are they working on a 4th game? Seems like a lot.

I think they were one of the first we heard of working on the current gen back in ~2012 IIRC. I don't know if the same is true this time round? I still think RaD are almost certainly working on a next/cross-gen game as there is no indication they are at E3 and Shinobi said they wouldn't be. Insomniac are another (multiple) studio that could have a next-gen game in the works. Then DICE/Ubi/Epic no doubt have next-gen stuff cooking too.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Wireless adapter for the Vive is out this year, so I expect that by 2020 it will be much cheaper.

And yeah, I am VERY much looking forward to the potential of PSVR2 as a virtual TV. I already enjoy watching 3D Blu-rays on the current model despite the low resolution, and PSVR2 will probably be able to display the full 1080p. My absolute dream, though, would be for the majority of PS5 games - and even PS4 games via BC - to receive ultrawide modes for PSVR2 and 21:9 monitors, with 60fps, probably a checkerboard 3840x1610 resolution, and optional 3D. Imagine being able to play games like TLOU2 and Death Stranding in ultrawide. Imagine Spider-Man in perfect 3D. It would look incredible, and that's before you even got to the VR games.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I agree they are tame in language. They more annoy me with drive-by/one liner nature of them. I honestly don't remember anything worse on any other thread here, though?
Other threads have so many people in denial about the generation being close to its end, complete ignorance of the current and future state of tech, etc.

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK

Yeah, I think this E3 Sony conference is likely to convince me 2019 is happening. I simply can't imagine with this E3 line-up that Sony can show anything next year that doesn't feature PS5 first titles.

Does anyone expect a slew of PS4-only titles next year? I can't see it. This year is the last hurrah for Playstation 4.

That means to me that the four titles featured will probably have PS5-specific improvements and PS5 an early 2019 reveal, late 2019 launch, which gives them four existing major first-party games and a couple of first-party PS5 exclusives (Horizon 2 featured, but coming later), plus third-parties (and likely BC) too. Killer, potentially.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Not to be a dick, but they had great games on 360 and a year headstart and outside of the UK it made a squat of difference for the competitiveness with Sony outside of the English speaking world

The 3rd party (timed) exclusives, like Call of Duty 2, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Dead or Alive 4, Bioshock, Gears of War, and Mass Effect, also helped to sell the 360. Without them, it would be hard to reach the same sales, and in the current climate it's probably harder for them to secure such exclusives anymore. From a consumer perspective it's a good thing, as most big 3rd party games are released simultaneously on both PS and XB platforms these days, eventhough the XBO is the underdog.

Intersect

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
PS5 will have 6-7 times or more GPU raw power than PS4... and near 10x more CPU raw power (the biggest difference) over PS4.

That is indeed a big jump.

Exclusives games will be based on PS5 hardware like exclusive today based on PS4 hardware (not Pro).

Pro is a second profile not optimized at hardware level... I mean you optimize to the PS4 hardware and after that you up the software settings to reach a good result on Pro.

The games are still based/optimized for PS4 hardware and you will never see a hardware optimized game for PS4 Pro or XB1 X and that is why devs can't use Pro/X fully potential.
Wouldn't game engines that fully use XB1 X and PS4 Pro Polaris features lag behind the hardware being released? If you start with the premise that AMD wanted Game Consoles to use AMD hardware which forces game engines to actually use (to the Metal) the hardware to it's best advantage AND both the XB1 and PS4 Pro are using many Polaris features in those newer more powerful GPUs, it's likely that developers will create game engines that support Polaris features and at the same time support the original 2013 consoles. Further, PCs benefit from games developed for consoles and developers don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Sony being intensely involved in AMD's Navi design can be about the above and iterative consoles and/or Sony has plans to also jump into supporting the PC. Sony does have a UHD BDA licence for the PC player and drive which they have not used yet. I've seen several people mention TV Set Top boxes moving to X-86, the original Google/Android TV box was Intel Atom X-86 and AMD APUs are getting very power efficient.

Iterative PS4 and XB1 hardware gets another confirmation in the efficientgaming.eu SRI where it says that post 2019 or after the next console, resolution can't be used to define new consoles and some other method will have to be developed. This means AI, Draw distances, FPS etc. change with more powerful consoles but not resolution. This also seems to indicate the 8K and Game Consoles mentioned in Samsung's GDDDR6 memory slide is about 4K 3D/VR not 8K resolution games.

Last edited:

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
So you're saying there might be a set top box version of the PS4 with UHD Blu-ray down the line. Like a Vita TV 2.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
2019/2020 for nexr gen is limping closer. I wonder who will go first.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think Phil hinted at Xbox being the most powerful. At least I got that vibe. That they'll push to be the most powerful console bit maybe I'm wrong

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Based on Spencer's words, he'll release Xbox Two fall 2019 it seems. If Sony wants to release 2020, well they can I guess but MS waves the white flag further up in this E3 and now solelh focused on next gen. Can't wait to see more rumours end of fhe year.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I think Phil hinted at Xbox being the most powerful. At least I got that vibe. That they'll push to be the most powerful console bit maybe I'm wrong

How would he hint at something that's up in the air, if they're launching simultaneously. I imagine it's still too early to lock specs down as final, no?

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
How would he hint at something that's up in the air, if they're launching simultaneously. I imagine it's still too early to lock specs down as final, no?

I'd imagine Microsoft and Sony know full well when each other plan to launch. Just listened back and interestingly he says their HW team is deep into architecting the next Xbox consoles. Could there be a S and X from the off or at least plan to iterate again?

Also says they will once again 'set the benchmark for console gaming'.

Status
Not open for further replies.