• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Wait what? We are on #Team13TF now?
5dQU1Hy.gif

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And this is what GithHub believers told us, and that Cerny lied.

I think you're making a misrepresentation of the argument there it's got to be said. I think most people who think the Github leak was representative of the PS5 (I do, for the record) would also tell you that the leaked repo was missing a great deal of context and information.

Anyone who tried to claim that Mark Cerny was lying outright was never arguing in good faith.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Oh damn sweet. RDNA2 is an impressive beast. Much more than I could've ever hoped for.

I have to be honest here and say that I did not expect AMD to step up their game this much (looking back from 1-2 years ago). This bodes very well for high powered gaming consoles which I thought were hard to pull off giving the power consumption limitations a console normally comes with, but RDNA should make it easily possible.

It was always the part I struggled with when I looked at the 5700 XT power consumption and imagined a console with much more performance than that, but it makes sense when you factor in that consoles are going to have RDNA2.

Really cool to see

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
lol

forum.beyond3d.com

Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

I don't see how any third party dev would be privy to any changes to the hardware regarding cooling. Yes they will obviously have performance targets and so forth but I get very sceptical when they start talking about design decision that only the hardware guys at AMD and Sony would know. Even...

Here Oberon is link to Flute and a PCI ID use for Navi10 Lite.

www.guru3d.com

ZEN2 8c/16t with NAVI GPU Spotted - AMD Console chip?

Twitter user Komachi has stumbled into a quite remarkable finding, actually, he might have stumbled into the pending Xbox (XBox Scarlett) APU. According to the leaked info, this is a Zen 2 architect...
13F8 was Navi 10 Lite indeed, 13F9 is a new ID and you must have seen the question mark in the tweet of KOMACHI which indicates to me that this was speculative. Somebody told me (I never saw it myself) that it was corrected by KOMACHI to "unknown" in a later tweet.

Also thank you to link the Beyond3D post, which underlines that Oberon/Flute is PS5 and perfectly lines up with Github!

Here is something I want to add to the discussion too (reddit):

PS5 reddit said:
Finally, this leads us to that Gen 2 number, 2000MHz. This is a bump up from the 1800MHz number used for Ariel / Gonzalo samples. If the GPU is using 36CUs we're looking at 9.2TF. Basically, the same performance as the Navi 5700 XT, which is 15% faster than the GCN 13TF Vega 64.

To me this little tidbit (the bolded part of the quite) is a really good case for Ariel (RDNA1) was upgraded to Oberon (RDNA2) because the improved efficiency would allow 2000 Mhz instead of 1800 Mhz and such a change of architecture would cause a new code name. I always wondered why there was that move from Ariel to Oberon and what triggered it. Now we have the highly likely answer.

This also would explain all the stories posted in here from 3 different Dev Kits and that Dev Kit V2 would further improve performance. And indeed just the change RNDA2 would further increase performance as we just learned yesterday -> another IPC (unknown value) and Perf per Watt (50%) increase:

Alleged PS5 dev kits as far as I remember the discussions about it:
  • Silver Tower: which I assume was Vega based
  • V-Shape Dev Kit V1: which I assume now was RDNA1 (Ariel) based
  • V-Shape Dev Kit V2: which I assume now is RDNA2 (Oberon) based
This is how I see the news from yesterday.

As many would say "it all adds up now".

Btw, your avatar of shame, my condolences. Really ugly ....

Edit:
Saw your edit and the addition of some screenshots of _rogame tweets.
In response to that and because you got them from beyond3D I just want to add this from there too:
forum.beyond3d.com

Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

So, The best news of the day that no one is talking about (yet) ... With all the power efficiency gains AMD talked about for their GPU and CPU, a SOC with LockHart's rumored specifications would be in the 22 Watt range. Sure would fit with the Surface product line. Does that sound about right?

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I would highly suggest not throwing around...
Let's not assume much about ipc gain in rdna 2 before we have some legit benchmarks, for example amd also claims ipc gain for vega https://www.anandtech.com/show/11002/the-amd-vega-gpu-architecture-teaser/2
... you took the words from my mouth. IPC gains need to be tested before actually talked about. Early GCN had touted IPC gains between the more minute changes, but they were practically invisible at times.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Trying to convince someone over and over again with the same arguments(no new info). If it didnt work first time it wont work the second or third time. People should let it go

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
And this is what GithHub believers told us, and that Cerny lied.
Now they are saying, "yes, I always knew it was RDNA 2" but without VRS or RT because reasons.
You know...I swear, before that lil clip last week saying the PS5 was RDNA 2 also, Oberon was looked at as Nav10...with vrs and rt turned off for testing.

In that short time where it was just Series X confirmed, I don't think anyone changed tune after Series X was confirmed to have it.

What many have said tho is there is some missing context. That some keep, kept using it was confirmation was wild.

Instead of just trying to interpret the data and keep an open mind.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
What makes you think it has to do with persecution complex or thinking PlayStation has it unfair? I'm just making a prediction on how this thread will go based on historical trends. I couldn't give a shit either way. As I said before, I'm an aspiring developer who hopes to work on both devices in the future. I have no horse in this race

I'm not sure what your work intent has to do with biased behavior. It's like the "I have black friends" response to racism claims. One being true doesn't negate the other. It's not targeted just at you by the way it was a series of similar posts back to back from multiple users that made me chuckle. I hope the PS5 isn't 9.2 as well.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm 99% sure the Github data is just showing a Navi 1 chip Sony is using to simulate BC and not the real Navi 2 chip.

Since Sony's BC solution is more hardware dependent they have to had started testing and developing their BC solution way before MS and way before AMD had RDNA 2 ready. Today's AMD investor conference confirmed that RDNA 2 is not different than RDNA 1 in terms of architecture, this makes the case for Sony using a RDNA 1 GPU for BC testing even more plausible, since they don't need the RDNA 2 feature set for testing BC, and can just pump out some HW for their engineers to work on.

I'm now more convinced then ever that the Github data is not the full PS5 chip.
I've been saying this since the Github leak surfaced but people I told this to said I was wrong. I'm glad to see that now that we are having a clearer picture that this is what's becoming the most likely conclusion. I never felt that the Github leak was confirmation of anything final related to the PS5's specs. It didn't align with what insiders were saying about the consoles being close in power and the lack of hardware RT testing results was a big red flag.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I'm not sure what your work intent has to do with biased behavior. It's like the "I have black friends" response to racism claims. One being true doesn't negate the other. It's not targeted just at you by the way it was a series of similar posts back to back from multiple users that made me chuckle. I hope the PS5 isn't 9.2 as well.

They took the time to design a RDNA2 chip without RT and VRS. I find this very suspicious.

Cc Colbert

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I don't think anyone changed tune after Series X was confirmed to have it.
"After" ? It talked about "before".
I think you're making a misrepresentation of the argument there it's got to be said. I think most people who think the Github leak was representative of the PS5 (I do, for the record) would also tell you that the leaked repo was missing a great deal of context and information.

Anyone who tried to claim that Mark Cerny was lying outright was never arguing in good faith.
Maybe you, but I wouldn't say "most people".

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
"github" said:
[native]
project = Oberon
regr_round = 75
filename = oberonA0_regression_result_native.xlsm

[BC1]
project = Arden
regr_round = 228
filename = oberonA0_regression_result_BC1.xlsm

[BC2]
project = Oberon
regr_round = 232
filename = oberonA0_regression_result_BC2.xlsm

Oberon A0 has been stated to be Navi 10. RDNA1

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Is todays faintest glimmer of PS5 news hope resting on that youtuber getting a text about the 6th(today)?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect any PS5 stuff until summer as Sony waits out this virus situation before making announcements

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly.

I also love how team GitHub just throw out any info, even from their own precious sources, that shed any doubt on a 9.2TF PS5.

Lots of info Oberon is Navi 10, from people like Komachi? IGNORE

After months and months of assurances Sony couldn't possibly develop more than one APU we now know they have a full Navi 10 line, which is the exact same as Oberon in CU counts. IGNORE

Oberon and Arden being at very different stages of development despite the belief they are both using RDNA2 and releasing at the same time. IGNORE

Insiders who have been proven to be right time and time again. IGNORE

Our own Matt telling people not to draw too many conclusions from GitHub when people were frothing about a 9.2TF PS5. IGNORE

I'm sorry but if you need to ignore so much information and so many inconsistencies that should tell you something.

There is zero evidence that Oberon is RDNA2, and far more evidence that it is an evolution of the Ariel/flute/Gonzalo and line. But some people, for whatever reason, are very invested in a 9.2TF 36CU PS5.

It will be yet another loss to add to the pile for team Debbie Downer.

If PS5 is <10TF Transistor can give me an avatar of shame. I will gladly wear it.
We know where mostly of GitHub team come from,PS5 will be +12TF and Klee once again will be right,I would like to read a nice poem after that

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
I wonder if there was supposed to be a Feb PS5 reveal but they cancelled it before inviting anyone due to coronavirus?

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
I don't expect any PS5 stuff until summer as Sony waits out this virus situation before making announcements

This doesn't make any sense. They announced it with a Wired article which led everyone to believe Sony was done with traditional on-stage announcements so how does Corona affect them now? MS announced their TF number and some general info with a blog post.

Nothing stops Sony from doing what they did before in the past.

Unless they have other problems that stem from the virus. Like supply chain problems that make them reconsider launching this year.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Again the theory for Oberon to be RDNA2 is not logic at all. They created not two chips but three physical chip one RDNA 1 Ariel, Another one Oberon RDNA2 without RT and VRS. They did huge modification of the GPU to add RT and VRS. I am not convinced at all.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
So...instead of trying to convince each other what PS5 may or may not be, why don't we all just wait until Sony officially confirms the specs and in the meantime carry on with our lives?

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How kind of you to assume I was trying to start console war BS when I was just poking fun at the thread's general directiom then. Perhaps if you were so easily offended by a simple joke, you should consider if you have a bias yourself :)

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
So...instead of trying to convince each other what PS5 may or may not be, why don't we all just wait until Sony officially confirms the specs and in the meantime carry on with our lives?

I think this is the best advice, and some I need to take.

We shall hopefully see soon. If Sony cancelled any planned media events I wonder if they plan to announce via state of play?

Coronavirus is only going to get worse, not better. So I can't see them holding a big media event.

Nov 2, 2017
With those IPC gains, i'll be very happy with 10TF, that should be already enough to do 4k 60 on every current gen game,
There's a decent amount of games that aren't 4k on the X1X though so this isn't quite true. Some games even run at 1440p30fps on the X1X which would mean performance wise you'd need about 4x the X1X to hit 4k60fps. You'd be able to hit 4k on them but not at 60fps.

Let's not assume much about ipc gain in rdna 2 before we have some legit benchmarks, for example amd also claims ipc gain for vega https://www.anandtech.com/show/11002/the-amd-vega-gpu-architecture-teaser/2
Vega does indeed have better IPC than Polaris so they were telling the truth. It's just that Vega doesn't scale well with CUs so you get a big drop off in performance. Most likely Polaris would be the same or even worse.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't make any sense. They announced it with a Wired article which led everyone to believe Sony was done with traditional on-stage announcements so how does Corona affect them now? MS announced their TF number and some general info with a blog post.

Unless they have other problems that stem from the virus. Like supply chain problems that make them reconsider launching this year.
The virus is affecting manufacturing and logistics in China so if they do another big announcement/event I expect pre-orders to be included and its possible they want to see how it progresses in the Spring. It makes sense for them to do a direct to consumer announcement video thing around E3 time in the summer.

I don't see what other info drop they'd do before then at this point unless its maybe something like crossbuy confirmation.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
No one claimed you can have 2 active games at the same time.

Indeed. Though speculatively, with what Sony described, it might be possible. Games can expose light 'apps', integrated into the PS5 OS UI, that allow you to do certain things or see certain things from the game, without actually having the game launched - including, potentially, setting up MP games etc. You could possibly, probably, have multiple of those apps running at once.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
I think it's pretty obvious what Sony's plan is now that we have a good timeline of exclusives between now and the end of June 2020. Sony simply needs to make sure that these exclusives sell well and although they may work on the PS5, they do not want to damage immediate sales. Don't forget that these games will likely all sell over 10m copies each. Sony may also want to charge a small fee to 'upgrade' these exclusives to PS5, although I do think that this is highly unlikely if Microsoft are pushing backwards and forwards compatibility.

Microsoft do not have any big exclusives over the next year, so have no problems in showing off their new console now and they need to find a way of competing with Sony.

I highly doubt that we will see anything concrete on the PS5 until either June or July 2020.

I also think the PS5 could be delayed until next year and I would not have much of a problem with this.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017

The way I see it Sony has practically no reason to push marketing for PS5 yet.
In fact, seeing their lineup for PS4 in the first half of the year, it might actually be in their best interest to make it seem like PS5 doesn't even exist at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.