• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
gHu1WbMe_400x400.jpg

I think this is the Lockhart mobo :o

16gb or 20gb or some other custom configuration !!

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Flu kills a lot more people yearly, actually also different strand of coronavirus. How come that people are just obsessing with this one? I don't see the world stop because thousands of people die from flu. Ban people because of facts and their opinions? That's exactly how coronavirus got so widespread, by suppressing people.

Right now is perfect timing for anything positive, people are stuck home and most sporting etc events canceled. Perfect time to do a stream and have most views possible when everyone is online.

SMDH. It's not about the number of deaths compared to the flu. COVID19 isn't replacing the flu, its additive. So in addition to all of the flu cases and various other cases that fill up hospital emergency rooms, you think it's no big deal to add a highly contagious virus that can be carried and transmitted without symptoms but also kill a significant number of those with symptoms.

We've already seen what attitudes like yours has done to Italy. People thought it was no big deal, now there aren't enough beds to treat all the critical patients - regardless if they are inflicted with corona or something else.

Corona didn't get so widespread because people were surpressed. It got widespread because factual information was surpressed and nonsensical misinformation was allowed to run rampant. People with misinformation and false "opinions" should definitely be banned.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I thought we already knew about the ten memory modules thing? I swear they showed off quick closeups of the APU in a Project Scarlett teaser video and we pieced those together to figure out that there were ten modules arranged around the APU just like they are in that profile picture.

I don't think this is really any new information?

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To me it looks very "modular" so perhaps Microsoft uses the same motherboard for both Lockhart and XSX but the actual RAM and SOC are on a "module" so they can use the same motherboard for both.

beta

Dec 31, 2019
To me it looks very "modular" so perhaps Microsoft uses the same motherboard for both Lockhart and XSX but the actual RAM and SOC are on a "module" so they can use the same motherboard for both.

That doesn't make much sense to me. Other components on the motherboard would differ greatly between the two consoles (differing USB ports or outputs) and differing VRMs due to the difference in power draw for example. It looks to me like it has a cooler that covers both the SoC and GDDR6 modules with one unit.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That doesn't make much sense to me. Other components on the motherboard would differ greatly between the two consoles (differing USB ports or outputs) and differing VRMs due to the difference in power draw for example. It looks to me like it has a cooler that covers both the SoC and GDDR6 modules with one unit.
I'm only guessing :)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
remember that based on the E3 trailer MS are mixing different ram size modules and windows central reported Xbox anaconda (series X) is using 16GB of memory overall.
I thought we already knew about the ten memory modules thing? I swear they showed off quick closeups of the APU in a Project Scarlett teaser video and we pieced those together to figure out that there were ten modules arranged around the APU just like they are in that profile picture.

Yea based on the E3 trailer, nice to have a reconfirmation of the guesses though

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm assuming y'all have already seen that '15.05TF' RDNA2, 56CU PS5 rumor someone posted? It even says 'all for $499'. lolol.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
remember that based on the E3 trailer MS are mixing different ram size modules and windows central reported Xbox anaconda (series X) is using 16GB of memory overall.

Yea based on the E3 trailer, nice to have a reconfirmation of the guesses though

16 gb would be a little disappointing after 12gb x. I hope its 20gh minimum. 4 for os 16gb for games.

beta

Dec 31, 2019
Yeah I'm no tech guy so I hope it's enough. I just think it's nice to have a little extra headroom for high res textures. Maybe the vrs frees up memory requirements.

I don't think VRS will change memory usage. 16GB should be plenty, SSDs will help with reducing the amount of data needed in memory.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Last edited:

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Someone who follows him should Ask Phil to clarify what it is and be transparent about it.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It doesn't fit with your prediction ? So it must be Lockhart ? With a 380mm² die size ?
You need a better memory. And I have no measurement for that picture or did somebody post one?

www.resetera.com

PS5 and Xbox Series speculation |OT11| Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War [NEW NEWS, NEW THREAD - CHECK OUT THE STAFF POST]

Time to provide my last prediction LOL While I did not have to change anything on the Xbox side (Spec now confirmed for TFs) it is my final prediction for Sony PS5 now. Have fun ... Edit: Both will use a 7nm node for manufacturing the chips. Not 7nm+!

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
You need a better memory.

www.resetera.com

PS5 and Xbox Series speculation |OT11| Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War [NEW NEWS, NEW THREAD - CHECK OUT THE STAFF POST]

Time to provide my last prediction LOL While I did not have to change anything on the Xbox side (Spec now confirmed for TFs) it is my final prediction for Sony PS5 now. Have fun ... Edit: Both will use a 7nm node for manufacturing the chips. Not 7nm+!
Well 380mm² is under your min range 381mm² ;-)

What's the matter then with this SOC ? The lack of 8K printing ?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
What would be the point of lockhart being 380mm^2? that would just make it really hard to release it at a low price. I am pretty sure its the Series X. Its possible the calculations of the previous image were too big because of the image being at an angle, this time the image is from the top so the calculations should be more accurate.

IS this chip PS5? it's too big for Lockhart and very different to XSX SoC
Its from phil's twitter, its xbox.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
What would be the point of lockhart being 380mm^2? that would just make it really hard to release it at a low price. I am pretty sure its the Series X. Its possible the calculations of the previous image were too big because of the image being at an angle, this time the image is from the top so the calculations should be more accurate.

Its from phil's twitter, its xbox.
380 is almost within my original estimate of XSX chip based off initial calculations.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well 380mm² is under your min range 381mm² ;-)

What's the matter then with this SOC ? The lack of 8K printing ?
Again, did anybody measure the chip on the new image?
And yes I was guessing based on the absent 8K marker.
And I said "could be". Means I am not sure. Though have a tendency.

Do you know what the "~" sign stands for? You should actually. Only 1 mm^2 difference to the real chip would be amazing ... if it is really exactly 380mm^2.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
How about Lockhart with a 320-bit bus with 16 GB (12 Gbps chips) and Series X a 384-bit bus with 24 GB (16 Gbps chips).
Doubt, the windows central leak has been accurate so far, both will probably be using 320bit bus, Series X with 6 chips of 2GB and 4 chips of 1GB, both chip modules at 14Gbps, while lockhart will be 2 chips of 2GB and 8 chips of 1GB, but slower chips.
Again, did anybody measure the chip on the new image?
And yes I was guessing based on the absent 8K marker.
And I said "could be". Means I am not sure. Though have a tendency.

Do you know what the "~" sign stands for? You should actually. Only 1 mm^2 difference to the real chip would be amazing ... if it is really exactly 380mm^2.
the lack of the 8K marker might just be attributed to poor image quality.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I mean, the 8k "capabilities" for both next-gen games is more marketing than anything anyway. A marker doesn't change anything in that regard :)
the question was on whether this was the Series X chip, which had an 8K marker in the previous image. This chip is too large to be lockhart, thats for sure, unless if lockhart is even more expensive than $400.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017

Your recall is correct. Some folks didn't trust that video and consistently treated it as unconfirmed. Now it seems its info of a 320-bit bus and a ~380mm^2+ SOC are proven correct. Which was relatively predictable, given that it came straight from Microsoft.

The video even has specific RAM module part numbers visible. From that, a total of 16GB and a max bandwidth of 560 GB/s are very strongly suggested. (The speed also matches to GitHub data.) Here's my post from last June giving the evidence.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
It doesnt but it can reduce the amount of assets that need to be cached because you can stream them faster.
It doesn't, but the faster the SSD, the more you can keep the data in the ram relevant per frame, and thus use more of the ram.
Facts. But these ain't current-gen assets anymore. The storage got faster but the assets also got bigger. When sub 500$ gaming PC's are already packing 24GB of combined RAM at the moment, I consider 16GB usable to be the absolute minimum for the next 7 years or so, regardless of how fast the storage is.

beta

Dec 31, 2019
Facts. But these ain't current-gen assets anymore. The storage got faster but the assets also got bigger. When sub 500$ gaming PC's are already packing 24GB of combined RAM at the moment, I consider 16GB usable to be the absolute minimum for the next 7 years or so, regardless of how fast the storage is.

Yeah but how much of that 24GB of combined ram is actually graphic ram?.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
As I said. I am unsure what it is: XSX or Lockhart.
So I'll ask you this, do you think that lockhart's APU could be a 380 mm^2 chip? A reminder that this console is supposed to be of a entry price, or are you going to suggest that lockhart is using the same chip as xbox Series X but clocked down to hell?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Facts. But these ain't current-gen assets anymore. The storage got faster but the assets also got bigger. When sub 500$ gaming PC's are already packing 24GB of combined RAM at the moment, I consider 16GB usable to be the absolute minimum for the next 7 years, regardless of how fast the storage is.

For match a 13 GB configuration for game on PC you will need probably 16 GB of DDR4 and 10/11 GB of GDDR6. The memory is unified on consoles. On PC there is some duplication between main RAM and VRAM.

With a fast SSD probably 3.75 GB/s, this is enough for 4k gaming. The SSD is 93 faster than the slow 2.5 HDD in Xbox On nearly two order of magnitude faster, it changes everything.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So I'll ask you this, do you think that lockhart's APU could be a 380 mm^2 chip? A reminder that this console is supposed to be of a entry price, or are you going to suggest that lockhart is using the same chip as xbox Series X but clocked down to hell?
Where does the 380mm^2 come from? Has anyone measured it already?
(Chip on the new image)

Status
Not open for further replies.