• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
The curious thing to me is that MS codeveloped RDNA 2.0 with AMD. Does sony get to use on rdna 2.0? its funny how we thought navi was made for sony but it seems it was MS who was working on the tech thats going in next gen consoles or at least one next gen console.

it will be curious to see what makes Sony's custom SOC different in case MS had some kind of exclusivity on rdna 2.0. are we looking at the same perf/watts ratio? is RT the same? wtf were the github leaks about if those 9.2 tflops are actually supposed to mimic 9.2 rdna 2.0 tflops? is sony like 6 rdna 2.0 tflops?
There is no way Microsoft has an exclusive on the term RDNA2......I mean it's all over AMDs graphics cards and roadmaps now.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
9.2 rdna 2.0 tflops are 6 rdna 1.0 tflops.

do you think the ps5 will be 6 tflops?
This is not correct. 50% gain is in performance per watt, that doesn't change the TF measurement. Though there may be IPC gains we have no idea what those are yet, and they will be the same for both Microsoft and Sony since they are both using RDNA2.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
So, we now know why Sony delayed their console. It was because they were going with tech that was not going to be available in time for a 2019 launch.

quoting myself, because my math was off. updated the original post.
these should be the correct numbers:

so now all of a sudden, that 2.0 ghz that was taking 161w should now take only 106w. zen 2 should only be 20w. maybe even less. gddr6 and the rest should be 30-50w and you can have a nice 170w console.

if MS is at 56 cu at 1.7 ghz, they are only around 97w for 12 tflops.

now the question is why would sony go with an 106w 9 tflops gpu when they can go with a 12 tflops 97w gpu. is 15% more die space really that expensive?

56 cu at 2.0 tflops should be around 148w. thats a 200-220w console. i really dont see why they cant do this.

edit: this also proves you wouldnt need a super expensive fancy cooling solution to cool that gpu. unless its really 56 cus running at 2.0 ghz.
If Sony does end up having a console that is 9.2TF or less, then the reasons may be
1. They were looking to have a cheaper priced console.
2. They have other things on their plate that they are looking and investing in, like VR.
3. No one would go for a bigger chip that is more expensive to manufacture and then follow that with a procedure that would see yield tank thereby driving up costs.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
quoting myself, because my math was off. updated the original post.
these should be the correct numbers:

so now all of a sudden, that 2.0 ghz that was taking 161w should now take only 106w. zen 2 should only be 20w. maybe even less. gddr6 and the rest should be 30-50w and you can have a nice 170w console.

if MS is at 56 cu at 1.7 ghz, they are only around 97w for 12 tflops.

now the question is why would sony go with an 106w 9 tflops gpu when they can go with a 12 tflops 97w gpu. is 15% more die space really that expensive?

56 cu at 2.0 tflops should be around 148w. thats a 200-220w console. i really dont see why they cant do this.

edit: this also proves you wouldnt need a super expensive fancy cooling solution to cool that gpu. unless its really 56 cus running at 2.0 ghz.

Your result should tell you that you've made an incorrect assumption somewhere. You're describing an XSX that has the power envelope of an Xbox One S, but for some reason MS built it into an enormous tower.

giphy.gif

14 tflops might be improbable, but its the only explanation. both sony and ms went wide and slow, sony then got some fancy cooling solution and were able to clock a bit higher than MS. 13-14 tflops.

if anything, this proves that MS has a lot of headroom to increase clocks. they dont have to settle for 12 tflops. they should be around 13 tflops by the time the consoles launch.

Same point. If you were right, there'd be no reason to settle at 12TF for the kind of all-out, premium device XSX is supposed to represent in contrast to Lockhart. They'd just be leaving hundreds of MHz on the table. The fact that your calculations don't at all match the market strategy shown so far should give you pause.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I don't think architecture (RDNA 1, RDNA 2) has any bearing on GPU compute performance / teraflops.

That's determined by number of CUs and clock speed. While RDNA 2 probably allows potential higher clocks than RDNA 1, RDNA1 vs RDNA 2 does not dictate the number of shader engines, compute units, shader ALUs, etc.

Am I wrong?
This is correct, though there may be some IPC improvements they will not change any of the clocks, shader engines, CUs, etc...

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I don't think architecture (RDNA 1, RDNA 2) has any bearing on GPU compute performance / teraflops.

That's determined by number of CUs and clock speed. While RDNA 2 probably allows potential higher clocks than RDNA 1, RDNA1 vs RDNA 2 does not dictate the number of shader engines, compute units, shader ALUs, etc.

Am I wrong?
There's IPC increases, also the massive improvement to performance per watt means they can go for higher performance targets.
What is miles away from rumors? The recent rumor said RDNA 2 has 50% IPC increase over RDNA1 and people just doubted it few days ago. It is just confirmed now with exact number.
In fact, there is even more than just that:

www.resetera.com

PS5 Speculation |OT12| - Aw hell, Transistor's running this again?

Oh really? Then that would make me rate 1 equally likely as 2.
They are referring to the rumors that MS will announce FM8 and RDNA 2 exclusivity which turned out to be a fake as expected.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
The curious thing to me is that MS codeveloped RDNA 2.0 with AMD. Does sony get to use on rdna 2.0? its funny how we thought navi was made for sony but it seems it was MS who was working on the tech thats going in next gen consoles or at least one next gen console.

it will be curious to see what makes Sony's custom SOC different in case MS had some kind of exclusivity on rdna 2.0. are we looking at the same perf/watts ratio? is RT the same? wtf were the github leaks about if those 9.2 tflops are actually supposed to mimic 9.2 rdna 2.0 tflops? is sony like 6 rdna 2.0 tflops?
Microsoft co-developed Xbox chips with AMD. This is the same thing that Sony does when they are making semi custom chips for their console.

There i absolutely no one that has full exclusivity to an entire product line.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
From the 46th minute. They talked about how they put their simulation to test chips. A lot of what he said reminded me of what I've seen from the Github leak.

This is very interesting. AMD changed the whole testing process. They are testing the silicon in hours/days and not in weeks/months like in the past thanks to their simulations.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your result should tell you that you've made an incorrect assumption somewhere. You're describing an XSX that has the power envelope of an Xbox One S, but for some reason MS built it into an enormous tower.

Same point. If you were right, there'd be no reason to settle at 12TF for the kind of all-out, premium device XSX is supposed to represent in contrast to Lockhart. They'd just be leaving hundreds of MHz on the table. The fact that your calculations don't at all match the market strategy shown so far should give you pause.
What? Xbox one s is only 55w during gameplay for the entire console. Here the gpu alone is 97w and the apu will likely by 130-150w. That's a 200w console. 4x more power consumption than the Xbox one s while playing sunset overdrive.

nerdburglars.net

Xbox One S Power Consumption Test - Nerdburglars Gaming

Xbox One s power consumption test to see how much energy the game console consumes. Total wattage measurement in game to see if the xbox is energy efficient

And I literally said they won't be settling for 12 tflops.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RDNA 2 is heavily implied to be used on both consoles as the "common architecture" of next gen consoles
RDNA 2 has an IPC increase over RDNA 1
RDNA 2 has 50% performance per Watt increase.

that's pretty much it.
But.. modiz where does this leave the Oberon CU count? From what I gathered.. the tests didnt confirm if those were the full CU count or not, so those saying 13TF are assuming 36-40CU at 2.0Ghz with RDNA2?
Does the possibility still exist that Oberon did not have the full CU count and could be higher? Or do we not know? Or we cant know until Sony tells us CUs/Clock etc?

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But.. modiz where does this leave the Oberon CU count? From what I gathered.. the tests didnt confirm if those were the full CU count or not, so those saying 13TF are assuming 36-40CU at 2.0Ghz with RDNA2?
Does the possibility still exist that Oberon did not have the full CU count and could be higher? Or do we not know? Or we cant know until Sony tells us CUs/Clock etc?
13.8tf would be 54 CU

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I gave up on trying to find logic between all the rumors, either jason/DF whatever leak it all or let Sony do it. The fact that they were testing on 2000mhz doesn't mean oberon B0 also had the final TDP target.

personally I still think it'll be over 10TF, and especially now that RDNA 2 has an additional IPC increase over RDNA 1 (I saw anex saying 15% earlier but I am not sure where it's from, 15% will be an amazing improvement, add that to the 30% improvement from RDNA 1 to Polaris, and you get pretty much 50% better performance per flop when compared to polaris, amazing!), it means that the console would be very capable.

Last edited:

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
What? Xbox one s is only 55w during gameplay for the entire console. Here the gpu alone is 97w and the apu will likely by 130-150w. That's a 200w console. 4x more power consumption than the Xbox one s while playing sunset overdrive.

nerdburglars.net

Xbox One S Power Consumption Test - Nerdburglars Gaming

Xbox One s power consumption test to see how much energy the game console consumes. Total wattage measurement in game to see if the xbox is energy efficient

And I literally said they won't be settling for 12 tflops.

I thought you were talking rated watts, not power at the wall, but the point stands. An Xbox One X can draw 170W+ at the wall. So you think MS has gone all out to build a massive tower that will draw 150W GPU + CPU, maybe a bit more than XB1X overall? Doesn't seem to justify the increased overall volume and presumably cooling capacity.

Edit, misread your post somewhat.

Last edited:

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
It don't matter it performers better when it comes to marketing 9.2 is less than 10.7 .
Numbers are the easiest thing for the mass market to understand .
This giving flash back to when people thought MS or Jason was talking about something other than hard numbers

Wait, you think the public in general actually look for teraflops to know what console to buy?

UnsungKing

Dec 31, 2019
So I expect the ps5 to come out slightly higher and then MS at E3 (or whatever) announces the increased the clock speeds and are the most powerful console on the market. Got Sony in a bind.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
So why does RDNA2 disprove the GitHub stuff?
I thought you were talking rated watts, not power at the wall, but the point stands. An Xbox One X can draw 170W+ at the wall. So you think MS has gone all out to build a massive tower that will draw 150W GPU + CPU, maybe a bit more than XB1X overall? Doesn't seem to justify the increased overall volume and presumably cooling capacity.

Edit, misread your post somewhat.
To be fair didn't the 1X use quite a fancy cooling system itself? Maybe that was quite expensive so they decided the more economical way to go would be to just make it a tower?

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
So why does RDNA2 disprove the GitHub stuff?

To be fair didn't the 1X use quite a fancy cooling system itself? Maybe that was quite expensive so they decided the more economical way to go would be to just make it a tower?

Maybe, I guess that's possible. Just seems odd to me to conclude that MS built a big tower and a two console strategy so they could leave 100-200MHz on the table with their "beast " machine. Easiest conclusion is that the power numbers aren't quite as favorable as Aegon thinks.

And that's not a dig, he had 56 CUs for Arden months ago and had been more right than 95% of this thread. Hopefully he's right and MS turns it up to 14!

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm 99% sure the Github data is just showing a Navi 1 chip Sony is using to simulate BC and not the real Navi 2 chip.

Since Sony's BC solution is more hardware dependent they have to had started testing and developing their BC solution way before MS and way before AMD had RDNA 2 ready. Today's AMD investor conference confirmed that RDNA 2 is not different than RDNA 1 in terms of architecture, this makes the case for Sony using a RDNA 1 GPU for BC testing even more plausible, since they don't need the RDNA 2 feature set for testing BC, and can just pump out some HW for their engineers to work on.

I'm now more convinced then ever that the Github data is not the full PS5 chip.

This makes complete sense, thanks for your input.

V excited for next gen.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 99% sure the Github data is just showing a Navi 1 chip Sony is using to simulate BC and not the real Navi 2 chip.

Since Sony's BC solution is more hardware dependent they have to had started testing and developing their BC solution way before MS and way before AMD had RDNA 2 ready. Today's AMD investor conference confirmed that RDNA 2 is not different than RDNA 1 in terms of architecture, this makes the case for Sony using a RDNA 1 GPU for BC testing even more plausible, since they don't need the RDNA 2 feature set for testing BC, and can just pump out some HW for their engineers to work on.

I'm now more convinced then ever that the Github data is not the full PS5 chip.
This is literally the first thing I speculated in these threads, and I immediately was told how unlikely that would be.

Looks likely that my initial speculation was correct.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
As the doctor has said, probably an old chip Sony used to test/develop BC. Klee and Matt been knew.

Is there somewhere I can read Matt and Klees actual comments, not other people saying what they've said. Just so I can get my own take.

Also, I'm so happy I've never even glanced eyes on the github stuff. It looks to have caused a serious kerfuffle lol.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Important:

The coronavirus domino effect: South Korean tech firms reel as Vietnam links curbed

www.reuters.com

The coronavirus domino effect: South Korean tech firms reel as Vietnam links curbed

For one South Korean multinational company that makes smartphone components used by Apple Inc <AAPL.O> and LG Electronics Inc <066570.KS>, the coronavirus epidemic is dealing blow after blow.

"First, the initial outbreak forced its China factory to shut down for almost three weeks and caused supplies from China for its Vietnam plant to begin to dry up. Then when the virus spread to South Korea, travel restrictions prevented its workers from keeping an expansion at the plant.

Now the company, which declined to be named to protect business relationships, is looking at disruptions in its factory in the industrial hub of Gumi, less than an hour's drive from Daegu, the epicenter of South Korea's coronavirus cases.

Its woes illustrate how the coronavirus crisis has shaken an Asian electronics supply chain still smarting from the U.S.-China trade war and the integral role played by China's ecosystem of factories. The problems also expose how Korea Inc's strategy of investing heavily in Vietnam has not proven to be a fully successful hedge against risks in China. "

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Im not educated enought to follow this thread, can someone tell if native 4K if gonna be the norm on PS5 games?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

I just don't think that a July reveal would be that bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Main issue has been the lack of games releases during this first couple of months, but soon we're getting Nioh2 , RE3, FF7, TloU2, GoT etc and that's a great way to say goodbye to the PS4 and right after that get full onto the PS5 hype, and it's launch games, both exclusive and third part
Can't blame the guy, the whole 14tf stuff gets posted a lot.
Can't blame the guy, the whole 14tf stuff gets posted a lot.

Does it, reslly? Does it?

Compared to 9TF, GitHub, 36CU...14TF gets posted "a lot"?

It really doesn't

Edit: It's clearly 11-12RF

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
There is no actually test datafor Arden in github afaik. Only the theoretical comparison values.

Why should I give that up?
The chip tested in Github was Oberon.
Oberon is the chip that is seen as the PS5 chip.
That chip was tested on BC with modes at 800 Mhz, 911 Mhz and 2000 Mhz.
Those tests were commented with 36 CU full count in native mode.
The data is coming from AMD directly, by a mistake of a clueless intern..
And what architecture that chip was is not part of the data nor does it have relevance for the testing.
Show me a chip code name that is PS5 other than Oberon. You can't
For the moment I only see a desperate attempt to bury Github for undisclosed reasons.

Let's change roles now:
Please show me a scenario that makes sense with the given information about PS5 and its BC modes.

Is it a 3 SE 54/60 GPU at 2000 Mhz?

Thanks for this, thanks for breaking down the actual evidence we have right now.

These past few pages have been a hoot. So let me get this straight, for 6 months we've been hearing that Github doesn't make any sense because the chip is clocked too hight at 2Ghz. A thousand posts about "1.7Ghz is the sweet spot" or "this chip will be hotter than XSX" and all that kind of stuff. And now, when we actually get confirmation that 2Ghz should make a lot of sense with the new RDNA 2 efficiency gains, suddenly "Github is dead"? The other way around my friends, Github just got another data point that adds up.

Suddenly "we" are saying Oberon A0 and B0 are RDNA 2? Think again, I've been saying that ever since XSX was announced as RDNA 2. Just one example from three days ago:

So yes, nothing changes except Github make even more sense now because we know why Sony went for 2Ghz. As I've said 100 times, and I will say 100 times more, Oberon A0 and the final PS5 iGPU are probably the same iGPU. Oberon A0 already was RDNA 2, it already had RT and VRS and Steppings are made for fixing bugs, improving power consumption, improving testability, improving clocks, etc..

That was very low.

This is what I have been seeing a lot of too. I've never even looked at github, but reading these last few pages I'm seeing a lot of evidence to backup github not kill it...yet there is a lot of github is dead.

I was in the, no way its 2000mhz camp but after today I'll hold up my hands and say I can now see how that's possible.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Omg.... it begins anew...

PS5 not using full RDNA2 incoming.

'I know I'm 10 pages old - but I only meant, those efficiencies May not be linked to functional blocks - if either Sony or ms are pulling RDNA2 features in a mainly rdna1 chip (like they have with precious chips), then they may not see full efficiency gains. Hopefully both are simply taking rdna2 wholesale but both will be semi-custom so no real way to know completely. I'm sure power efficiency gains would be interesting to them though

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

'this time last year we were saying the same about Sony and AMD. Both will have worked on this with AMD. My guess is most likely that was in reference to ray tracing and DXR in particular. AMD comig out late with RT and they'll need to support DXR for pc gpus. Makes sense to work with MS as early as possible To co-develop the RT hardware to be efficient when used in a DXR environment

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
13.8tf would be 54 CU
How do we know it's 13.8TF...? The one guy who said that BGs and then he said it was a joke.

I gave up on trying to find logic between all the rumors, either jason/DF whatever leak it all or let Sony do it. The fact that they were testing on 2000mhz doesn't mean oberon B0 also had the final TDP target.

personally I still think it'll be over 10TF, and especially now that RDNA 2 has an additional IPC increase over RDNA 1 (I saw anex saying 15% earlier but I am not sure where it's from, 15% will be an amazing improvement, add that to the 30% improvement from RDNA 1 to Polaris, and you get pretty much 50% better performance per flop when compared to polaris, amazing!), it means that the console would be very capable.
I see. Thanks. Seeing guys throw 13TF as a possible spec .. very exciting times. I will be happy with 12.. or more.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

The reference to co-development with MS was to the DX api they were demo-ing after the presentation, not rdna2 wholesale. Of course, I'm sure when developing archs they take input from partners, and certainly when they're developing custom SoCs. But that 'co-developed' bit referenced in the presentation was just about DX stuff.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for this, thanks for breaking down the actual evidence we have right now.

This is what I have been seeing a lot of too. I've never even looked at github, but reading these last few pages I'm seeing a lot of evidence to backup github not kill it...yet there is a lot of github is dead.

I was in the, no way its 2000mhz camp but after today I'll hold up my hands and say I can now see how that's possible.
I don't think anyone doubted 2GHz clock speed after a while; the doubt comes from 36CU. With PS5 seemingly being RDNA2 (no 40CU limit), having RT, allegedly supporting VRS and Oberon being associated with Navi 10 Lite by both _rogame and Komachi is where github falls apart. The only reason we think Oberon/Ariel/Flute is PS5 in the first place is because Komachi guessed it was PS5 (not being sure themselves) the same way Komachi guessed that Oberon/Ariel/Flute are Navi 10 Lite.

Needless to say, with PS5 practically being confirmed to be RDNA2, where does the Navi 10 Lite APU come into play? RDNA2 is Navi 2x.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I'm going to make a prediction. If and that's a big IF, PS5 does indeed turn out to be more powerful than XSX, I can see some already latching onto "Sony must be using RDNA1 figures while XSX is RDNA2, so Sony is misleading consumers!". Then we get into the whole architectural efficiency arguments again. Hoo, boy, that oughta be fun

You guys have to end this persecution complex after months of "Phil never said 12TF Navi" talk.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm so glad I dont use twitter, it looks like a sess pit.

So happy we got confirmation of RDNA2 for both, it always made the most sense. Anyone still thinking its RDNA 1 is silly.

Glad sony hasn't using a custom raytracing design, as it just never seemed to make sense from a cost and development approach in today's market.

Sony please bring us the facts now.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Just woke up, what's the latest?

RDNA 2 for PS5 more or less confirmed?
9TF very unlikely? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.