it rhymes with ovaltine.

we are back from the dead.

giphy.gif

Hmm 13 TF is 8% better than 12

Klee vindicated?

Next gen gonna be lit

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You can't compare with stadia as it uses older tech. 9.2 ps5 would outperform it noticeably. Hell im not sure stadia is even living up to its 10.7 claim as it underperforms compared to an equivalent pc. Wether that's due to overhead or the beta nature of the service who knows.

It don't matter it performers better when it comes to marketing 9.2 is less than 10.7 .
Numbers are the easiest thing for the mass market to understand .
This giving flash back to when people thought MS or Jason was talking about something other than hard numbers.

Won't be lit for the xbox guys who have an 8% weaker system. :'(

Why won't it ?
The systems being 8% TF apart not going to mean anything no matter who stronger .
We are talking a few frames and maybe not even then depending on other aspects .

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lockhart is gonna be interesting since MS is all about them flops now. It has less tittyflops despite performing on par (and better than due to new techniques) with the One X. But because they chose to tout the floppage of the SX, they can't do the same of the SS. Will be interesting to see how they handle the narrative

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lockhart is gonna be interesting since MS is all about them flops now. It has less tittyflops despite performing on par (and better than due to new techniques) with the One X. But because they chose to tout the floppage of the SX, they can't do the same of the SS. Will be interesting to see how they handle the narrative
"Fortunately, we have a product for people who can't afford to pay $499, it's called the Xbox Series S"

Please don't hurt me, it was a joke

Oct 27, 2017
It ain't going to be 56 CUs at 2 Ghz. Not for a reasonable price.

Much more likely to be 54 CUs at 1.8 Ghz (i.e., 12.44 TFs). 3 SEs with 18 CUs each makes hardware-based bc feasible as well (just disable 1 SE).

That would make sense as well because insiders were saying that there was practically no difference in raw power between the 2 consoles.

MannyTV_

Oct 27, 2017
It ain't going to be 56 CUs at 2 Ghz. Not for a reasonable price.

Much more likely to be 54 CUs at 1.8 Ghz (i.e., 12.44 TFs). 3 SEs with 18 CUs each makes hardware-based bc feasible as well (just disable 1 SE).

That would make sense as well because insiders were saying that there was practically no difference in raw power between the 2 consoles.
Just curious. How do you calculate TFs?

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I hope the machines are nearly identical.
Same TFs, same clock speeds, same RAM. The less we hear about the power difference between the consoles, the better.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to make a prediction. If and that's a big IF, PS5 does indeed turn out to be more powerful than XSX, I can see some already latching onto "Sony must be using RDNA1 figures while XSX is RDNA2, so Sony is misleading consumers!". Then we get into the whole architectural efficiency arguments again. Hoo, boy, that oughta be fun

We had a individuals saying the XSX was GCN numbers. So yes, people will be discounting the PS5 numbers!

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
It don't matter it performers better when it comes to marketing 9.2 is less than 10.7 .
Numbers are the easiest thing for the mass market to understand .
This giving flash back to when people thought MS or Jason was talking about something other than hard numbers

Mass market doesn't care about hardware specs and they dont know or care what stadia is. No one will take notice at the 12 stadia users bragging about the platform.
Cloud hardware is adaptable anyway so specs don't matter in the same way.

Oct 27, 2017
Same TFs, same clock speeds, same RAM. The less we hear about the power difference between the consoles, the better.
They are going to be near identical raw powerwise...I think it will come down to customizations for specific goals they are trying to achieve (i.e., Sony with VR; MS with high FPS and cloud-based distributed computing)

renx

Jan 3, 2020
We did get a bunch of new stuff. Mainly confirmation of rdna2 for both ps5 and xsx.

And rdna2 being a 50% improvement on performance per watt.

I see. And yet I see some people speculating that PS5 could be using RDNA1 with some RDNA2 features.

But I agree. What came today from AMD conference sounds like both XSX and PS5 are RDNA 2.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Someone who makes you wish you were still getting your next gen news from a cat with a substance abuse problem.

This made me chuckle more than it should have.

On topic, why are people so resistant to the idea of PS5 being RDNA 2.0 when its clear thats obviously what it is?

Feb 23, 2019
Where is this 13TF coming from? Why the sudden change?

13 TF comes from Benji last year. He leaked it from a source, but later took the tweet down because it was so high he didn't believe it

13 TF being 8% better than 12 is also consistent with Klee saying PS5 was slightly more powerful and that MS revealing 12 TF didn't change anything

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
13 TF comes from Benji last year. He leaked it from a source, but later took the tweet down because it was so high he didn't believe it

13 TF being 8% better than 12 is also consistent with Klee saying PS5 was slightly more powerful and that MS revealing 12 TF didn't change anything
I see... but...are we assuming Series X and PS5 uses the same GPU but at varying clockspeed?

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
This thread needs Lionel Mandrake style summaries at the end of every day so people can figure out if anything actually happened without reading 20 pages of... whatever.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i am very happy that AMD are focusing on IPC improvements again with RDNA 2. Do we know the IPC increase from RDNA 1 yet?

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Last 10 pages were fascinating, can any of you kind souls point me towards something (other than ro_game) which says Oberon is NAVI 10?

Both Ariel and Oberon are iGPUs, if they were based on same architecture aka RDNA1 and Oberon is an evolution of Ariel, then why the need for name change? Why not name Oberon A0 as Ariel C0 instead?

Things still don't add up for me, name change implies a big shift, unless someone can provide evidence of Oberon being a NAVI 10.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Could be 54 CU at 1.89ghz or so. 🤔
I see... but...are we assuming Series X and PS5 uses the same GPU but at varying clockspeed?
They're both custom gpus. It's very likely that Xbox landed at 56 CU. So they could still up the clock and beat PS5 if that ends up being 54 CU like some of us think.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, we know for a fact both are on RDNA2 and 12-14TF doesn't sound all that ridiculous now that AMD revealed 50% energy efficiency gains with RDNA2

CUs and clocks could vary for both, but they will end up very close
I see. Well.. let the 8TF nonsense die now... and quite frankly.. I'm hoping admin pays close attention to those that want to go back to saying RDNA1... or day I say it... Vega CGN again.

Could be 54 CU at 1.89ghz or so. 🤔

They're both custom gpus. It's very likely that Xbox landed at 56 CU. So they could still up the clock and beat PS5 if that ends up being 54 CU like some of us think.

I suppose that is possible on MS's side. But what if...They are relying on a single fan design and they wanted the safest, most efficient way to cool it. And that is to go 56CU at a lower clock speed, but at the same time, get chips that cant handle a clock speed thats way more than what it starts at. (if it's at 1.7Ghz... they know it cant get to 2.0ghz)

I'm expecting the PS5 to be louder... but MS has been saying day 1 "12TF in a very cool box, very low audio profile" not exact words. But it's how they have been marketing Series S since last years reveal. That it is quiet as hell. I'm expecting silence from it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the 46th minute. They talked about how they put their simulation to test chips. A lot of what he said reminded me of what I've seen from the Github leak.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

The very best scenario from my perspective is that the two are both very capable, but that each has some unique characteristics that the other can't match. Sure, obsessive warriors will try to argue about which aspects are the most important, but the sane among us can enjoy meaningful exclusives that showcase the two designs rather than buying the same box twice with artificial ties to disjoint marketplaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.