Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I have a weird problem with my PS5 when my HDMI link is set to on.
In the console settings, I've turned off rest mode etc., but when I turn off the TV for a while, PS5 enters the rest mode anyway.
I thought it just turns itself off, but when I turned it back on, I was in the exact point in the game where I left it off.
I think if it shuts down as a result of inaction from the user, it always goes into rest mode. PS4 did it that way. I'm not even sure there's an option to change it. If you want it to turn all the way off, you need to turn it all the way off yourself.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I think if it shuts down as a result of inaction from the user, it always goes into rest mode. PS4 did it that way. I'm not even sure there's an option to change it. If you want it to turn all the way off, you need to turn it all the way off yourself.
That would make sense. The thing is, that I specifically set all the rest mode options to off, so even if I left it for a few hours, this shouldn't happen.
I'm pretty sure it happens only when HDMI link is set to ON and I turn off my TV for a while.

Apr 28, 2020
I'm really questioning my 1 to 3 seconds freezing problem with AC: Valhalla, doesn't crash the game only instant freezes. Happening about 2-3 times on a 3-4 hours playing session. I also have some hitching/stutter problems with Jedi Fallen Order but mostly smooth 60 fps. Overall experience, I got one hard crash with Miles Morales after that it was smooth and finished it. Also played Astro(finished), Days Gone, Crash, Ratchet, Bugsnax without issues. No OS problems, rest mode, ethernet etc.

I also have some coil whine buzz. Can't really hear with game sound but on low volume/mute situations I can hear it from almost 2 meters, most evident with Valhalla. While playing Valhalla it is more audible on normal game volume that I play. Impossible to hear from my playing position off games, really quiet buzz even I put my ear near it. Nothing about fan, it is silent for now.

So, I really want to know your thoughts, I'm overthinking on it or it can be a defective unit somehow? I really lost myself sometimes on this little details. :D

Question, you mention you have coil whine with AC:V. Does it go away when you go back to the other games you've played?
Just wondering if coil whine is something that comes and goes, or once you cause it, it is then present from then on.

i HeaR MusiC

Oct 27, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Ok, I thought my random hard crash was a non issue and probably would be a rare occurrence but now it's happened twice in the last 3 days. It seems to happen after I've been in the console for a long period. Just randomly hard crashes whether I'm in a game or just in the home menu. Part of me wants to just wait and see if a future update fixes this, but I fear my console is faulty since this doesn't just happen on a certain game. I've had 4 hard crashes total over the last 2 weeks. No actual ce error or anything. Just hard crashes and repairs storage after.. I'm so frustrated.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
So I know it's been touched on before but I can't seem to find how to get cloud saves from my PS4 to PS5 without just dumping them on a USB. Is there another way I'm not familiar with? Is it simply a glitch? I keep uploading saves from my PS4 to the cloud but then they don't show up when I try to download from cloud on the PS5

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Ok, I thought my random hard crash was a non issue and probably would be a rare occurrence but now it's happened twice in the last 3 days. It seems to happen after I've been in the console for a long period. Just randomly hard crashes whether I'm in a game or just in the home menu. Part of me wants to just wait and see if a future update fixes this, but I fear my console is faulty since this doesn't just happen on a certain game. I've had 4 hard crashes total over the last 2 weeks. No actual ce error or anything. Just hard crashes and repairs storage after.. I'm so frustrated.

It doesn´t help but i would try not to worry too hard about this right now. The OS is quite clearly not very stable right now and as long as the system turns on again, chances are probably over 50% that it´s not a hardware issue but something firmware-related.

I honestly think the OS is in such a state that a lot of error occurs outside of the things that are already kinda "known and accounted for" in form of standarized Error-Messages. Of course if could be widespread hardware failures, but it´s probabyl more likely that us consumers are simply not used to the kind of problems an unfinished OS can introduce as we usually dont get to see this.

I absolutely get where you are coming from tho, as crashes that completely brock the system do occur. In the worst case you can still wait on then ext patch, hopefully this week. Problem with getting a new system right now is that we dont know if the problem is software or hardware related so even a new console would have this constant possibility of crashing.

LeProvo

Apr 24, 2020
Turkey
Question, you mention you have coil whine with AC:V. Does it go away when you go back to the other games you've played?
Just wondering if coil whine is something that comes and goes, or once you cause it, it is then present from then on.
It is adjusting with games I think, on PS4 games I hear it really quieter. It is more evident with PS5 games but even with PS5 games it adjusting itself, with more demanding games it is louder otherwise it is quieter and hard to hear.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Just had the weirdest crash.
I was playing DMCV:SE after a longer AC:Valhalla Session and I thin the UI itself crashed. The controller stopped working for like a second, the game paused itself and I got an error message (pressed X too quickly tho and did not read the error code :/).
After That, I was thrown directly into the home menu (no reboot) and could continue playing DMC exactly where it had paused.
I hope that was just a little UI hiccup and a sign to come for more serious crashes.

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
Having an issue where every time I start my ps5, it shows 'lan cable connected' 'lan cable disconnected' a couple of times. Sometimes it won't even connect.
Ive tried restarting my router, and have tried using a different cable as well

Oct 27, 2017
Crashes definitely related to external storage for me- wife and I both got ps5's. After mine hard crashed 4 times in 2 weeks on startup, I decided to try a swap with hers which did not have any crashes to see if it was the external. Just experienced the first crash with hers (with the external t7 hooked up) and she hasn't experienced a single crash on mine without the t7.... doesn't seem likely that 2 ps5's would have faulty hardware- much more likely firmware related and the inciting issue is having the external connected. Wish sony would get their software together...

Oct 29, 2017
Well I was fine with my external this while time, UNTIL TONIGHT. Crashed on startup, had to repair usb drive, then it shut off. Turned it on again, did the same thing, crashed and repaired, so I unplugged the drive. Powered back on, submitted all the error reports it wanted me to, then plugged in my external again just to move a few games over to internal (maxing out my storage space unfortunately). This is horrible.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
PSA: Disabling USB power while in Rest Mode stops the PS5 from randomly making fan noise (or whatever it is) in Rest Mode.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to give rest mode a go a few nights ago. Tonight the LED was off and sure enough I couldn't turn on the system from the controller. At some point in the last 24 hours it died during rest mode. Fortunately, it could still turn on from the main power button but I'm surprised how it died while in rest mode. No external HDD has been hooked up except on the first day. I also closed the current game I was playing before putting the system to sleep. I guess rest mode is definitely buggy.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I hooked up an external HDD 2 days ago (back port) and today I had my first system crashes.

In the past I have had a problem turning on the PS5 from the dedicated app buttons on the media remote, it will boot up and then say something went wrong with the app and have me file a report. So I tried that today and hit the Youtube button to turn on the PS5. The PS5 began to start up and then on the black sparkly start up screen the PS5 just shut back off. When I tried to turn it on again it didn't respond at first, then it finally did and displayed a low res message about checking the storage with a progress bar. Then after that completed it went to a more higher res screen and said that it was repairing the external drive. After this stage it just hung on a blank black screen forever.

The only thing I could do was hit the power button, which put it into rest mode, and then when I woke it up from rest mode it behaved normally and reached the main PS5 menu with the game tiles and immediately the system crashed again and powered off. Then I repeated this same exact process as above once more (including hanging forever on a blank screen after repairing the external storage) and when it reached the main PS5 menu this time it was fine and I was able to play normally for the rest of the day.

I have to wonder if it's related to the external HDD, or maybe something to do with using the media remote to turn on the PS5? I'm not going to buy another console at launch after this experience. It has been so buggy, and the uncertainty of whether they are hardware issues or software issues is really stress-inducing.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I had zero problem until today. Played my first PS5 game (Watchdog) and it crashed twice when I went back to PS4 games

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How do I get Plex to recognise my media server?

Its published, I'm logged in, it's linked, and I've made it secure.

Doing my nut in.

The PS3 Media Server, when it existed, just worked. Recognised my computer, opened the folder, there was the media. Simple.

This is such an arse ache.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I miss the old Media Server. I've had to work through several different apps since then. Currently using Plex, but yeah, it's kind of a pain in the ass compared to just sharing a folder.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
So, weird thing. My TV (Sony Xe90 Series) rebooted twice while playing ps5 in the last 2 days. Once after a few hours of AC:V and today directly after turning on the system. Ps5 itself was fine, no error or anything.

Random reboots of the Sony TV seem to be a potentially serious issue of its own (at least going by reddit) but I never had this outside of the 2 times while playing ps5.
Any ideas if this could be related?

SolmonGrundy

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone been able to get a replacement from PlayStation direct yet? I started the replacement process on launch day and have not received anything yet.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
My PS5 can be very loud and buzzes when, I think, the disc drive is spinning. The sound is definitely not coming from the fans but the PSU and disc drive side. It happens when coming out of rest mode, when installing a game from disc, and occasionally while playing a game (Demon's Souls). I don't know how to share audio or video.

JeffJeff

Jul 13, 2020
My PS5 can be very loud and buzzes when, I think, the disc drive is spinning. The sound is definitely not coming from the fans but the PSU and disc drive side. It happens when coming out of rest mode, when installing a game from disc, and occasionally while playing a game (Demon's Souls). I don't know how to share audio or video.

It's the same thing here, disc spinning is a bit loud but that's about it for my PS5

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
The notification that appear after turning on the ps5 for your save files upload. is that saying its uploading after you've turned it on or a notification to say it was uploaded to the cloud while in rest mode?

nikwhatsup

Jun 15, 2018
A lot of times when I start up Demon's Souls (disc version) from rest-mode I can hear the disc drive sounding weird and the game stutters like hell, any ideas? I can solve the issue by closing down the game before rest mode or by restarting the game after starting up the console.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
None of my headphones fit all the way into the port on the bottom of the DualSense. The jack stops like 3/4 of the way in. Am I missing something?

Oct 25, 2017
Two game crashes with Destiny 2 since the EU launch so far. Seems to freeze and then go back to the OS asking me to report the error.

The error code seems to be the common one: 108255-1.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Well had my first major PS5 issue.
Turned it off through the home menu after playing some bugsnax last night, turn it on now and it just flashed blue and then turn off again, with nothing happening on the screen.
Thankfully found I could access the safe menu and had to reset my PS5 to get it to boot again and redownloading games now. Thankfully seems saves were on the cloud, so kept my progress.

The only other PS5 issues I've had is I had the PS5 turn off suddenly once when trying to import Spiderman PS4 saves to PS5 and on first boot (both times now), the console doesn't recognise that I own any digital games, but seems to resolve itself leaving it on for a while.

The only thing I can suspect that could have caused it judging from online, (other than a potentially unstable OS), is having my external SSD connected. Turned it off now and see how it goes.

SnoopZ

Jul 30, 2019
Well had my first major PS5 issue.
Turned it off through the home menu after playing some bugsnax last night, turn it on now and it just flashed blue and then turn off again, with nothing happening on the screen.
Thankfully found I could access the safe menu and had to reset my PS5 to get it to boot again and redownloading games now. Thankfully seems saves were on the cloud, so kept my progress.

The only other PS5 issues I've had is I had the PS5 turn off suddenly once when trying to import Spiderman PS4 saves to PS5 and on first boot (both times now), the console doesn't recognise that I own any digital games, but seems to resolve itself leaving it on for a while.

The only thing I can suspect that could have caused it judging from online, (other than a potentially unstable OS), is having my external SSD connected. Turned it off now and see how it goes.
I've had 2 crashes a few weeks ago, but since then all has been stable i even plugged my external back in.

The only 2 things i avoid now in case they're a trigger are, i don't use rest mode and don't intentionally download or install anything while playing a game.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've had 2 crashes a few weeks ago, but since then all has been stable i even plugged my external back in.

The only 2 things i avoid now in case they're a trigger are, i don't use rest mode and don't intentionally download or install anything while playing a game.

I had my external powered on for a long while too honestly and it's been fine (Except the one spiderman crash I mentioned, which again hard to know what the cause was)
I don't believe I've been playing anything while something has been downloading and never used rest mode either, but I'll keep it in mind in future anyway. Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Aight, I just had my first hard crash while playing Miles. Console went through the repair storage process, reboots, then says external storage was not removed correctly (which makes no sense since I never removed it and have had no issues until now). Anyway, it showed a repair external storage screen and now I'm stuck on a black screen that will not go away.

Is it still repairing the drive? Should I leave it like this or just turn the system off?

Edit: I just held the power button until it beeped twice, unplugged my external SSD, and turned it back on. Thankfully everything is working fine again. Damn, I'd had no serious issues until now.

Last edited:

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Aight, I just had my first hard crash while playing Miles. Console went through the repair storage process, reboots, then says external storage was not removed correctly (which makes no sense since I never removed it and have had no issues until now). Anyway, it showed a repair external storage screen and now I'm stuck on a black screen that will not go away.

Is it still repairing the drive? Should I leave it like this or just turn the system off?

Edit: I just held the power button until it beeped twice, unplugged my external SSD, and turned it back on. Thankfully everything is working fine again. Damn, I'd had no serious issues until now.
The 3-4 or so crashes I've had, when it eventually gets to the repairing USB storage stage it always hangs on a blank black screen afterward. How I've handled it is turn it off with the power button, it will go into sleep mode, then wake it up again and it will be back. The reason it says that the storage was not removed correctly is that the ps5 skipped the proper shutdown procedures by crashing so it interprets that as you having pulled the plug or something. It always gave the same message on PS4 after I'd had a power outage.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
The 3-4 or so crashes I've had, when it eventually gets to the repairing USB storage stage it always hangs on a blank black screen afterward. How I've handled it is turn it off with the power button, it will go into sleep mode, then wake it up again and it will be back. The reason it says that the storage was not removed correctly is that the ps5 skipped the proper shutdown procedures by crashing so it interprets that as you having pulled the plug or something. It always gave the same message on PS4 after I'd had a power outage.
I see, thanks.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
Am I missing something or does the PS5 have terrible hdmi cec options? It seems like it's all or nothing with the TV turns on the PS5 and the PS5 turns on the TV. If I want the PS5 to turn on I will turn it on and let it turn on the TV. I don't want the PS5 to turn on every time I turn the TV on.

Oct 29, 2017
My solution to the external hard drive crashing on me is to just plug it in, after the system is on, if I want to play PS4 games. Then "safely remove" after I'm done before unplugging it and turning the system off. This has worked fine for me so far, but leaving it plugged in as intended causes crashing issues. Annoying, but I know it will get fixed "eventually," and after painstakingly downloading each of my PS4 games to this brand new external, I'm glad at least to still be able to play the games. And I unplug the external HDD USB cable from the HDD itself as to not wear out the PS5's USB port needlessly. A permanent fix can't come soon enough.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
My solution to the external hard drive crashing on me is to just plug it in, after the system is on, if I want to play PS4 games. Then "safely remove" after I'm done before unplugging it and turning the system off. This has worked fine for me so far, but leaving it plugged in as intended causes crashing issues. Annoying, but I know it will get fixed "eventually," and after painstakingly downloading each of my PS4 games to this brand new external, I'm glad at least to still be able to play the games. And I unplug the external HDD USB cable from the HDD itself as to not wear out the PS5's USB port needlessly. A permanent fix can't come soon enough.
This is what I've resorted to doing as well. And it also gets around my other glitch where launching the ps5 with both a usb hdd connected and a disc in the console results in ps5 saying the disc is unsupported.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've really just been playing Spiderman Remastered but the only issue that persists for me now is that sometimes my PS5 won't boot. It will act like it will turn on and then just be black screen. Have to press the button to get it to try again, which will get me through the drive checking but then still black screen after that. Power button again a 3rd time and I will get the send error report prompt and it will finally be usable again. This is not using sleep mode, shutting game down completely. I do leave my external plugged in and I am using ethernet. Happens about once a week.

Am I missing something or does the PS5 have terrible hdmi cec options? It seems like it's all or nothing with the TV turns on the PS5 and the PS5 turns on the TV. If I want the PS5 to turn on I will turn it on and let it turn on the TV. I don't want the PS5 to turn on every time I turn the TV on.
I was wondering if this was more to blame on the PS5's side or my new TV's side. I haven't had a fully HDMI CEC compatible TV before. Enabling it results in my tv automatically turning on the PS5 when I really don't intend for it to. I'd like more control over it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
clyp.it

Share, Embed & Upload Audio with Clyp

Clyp is the easiest way to record, upload and share audio.

Audio of my PS5 waking up from rest mode. The noisiest parts are when I have my phone near the disc drive, notably the end.
I have a similar issue, maybe not to this extreme, when my PS5 spins a disc. When I'm actually playing a game it's fine.

My Series X had the same issue. It was actually worse there, I was watching a UHD disc which is always spinning, so the grinding noise was constant. It was pretty scary. I moved the XSX from vertical to horizontal which almost completely eliminated the issue.

I don't currently have the ability to move the PS5 horizontal to test if that also solves it, but maybe worth a try

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I have a similar issue, maybe not to this extreme, when my PS5 spins a disc. When I'm actually playing a game it's fine.

My Series X had the same issue. It was actually worse there, I was watching a UHD disc which is always spinning, so the grinding noise was constant. It was pretty scary. I moved the XSX from vertical to horizontal which almost completely eliminated the issue.

I don't currently have the ability to move the PS5 horizontal to test if that also solves it, but maybe worth a try
My PS5 is horizontal.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
So far so good with my ps5 (overall system noise etc).
Only issue I have had is the tv has dropped the picture for a few seconds to black (audio on headphones remains) two times now.
Once with Control (ps4) and Valhalla (ps5). Been playing around with HDR being on/off so will see if that makes any difference.

Has anyone else had this?

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I've really just been playing Spiderman Remastered but the only issue that persists for me now is that sometimes my PS5 won't boot. It will act like it will turn on and then just be black screen. Have to press the button to get it to try again, which will get me through the drive checking but then still black screen after that. Power button again a 3rd time and I will get the send error report prompt and it will finally be usable again. This is not using sleep mode, shutting game down completely. I do leave my external plugged in and I am using ethernet. Happens about once a week.
This sounds exactly like my start up crashes that only began when I added the external HDD, and so far haven't happened since I stopped having the HDD plugged in on start up. But for me it will show an image for a brief second or two before crashing: Sometimes it crashes on the black sparkly start up screen or sometimes it's as soon as it reaches the main menu with the game icons.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
System has been a lot more stable for me since last update, from daily crashes / bad glitches I had basically none this week.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Is it just my configuration or is Spiderman Remastered weirdly lit at times? Most of the times it looks great, but certain situations makes blacks seem completely crushed on some objects/sections, like pedestrians in the shadows for example.

Here's one screenshot that I can show as example:

ent5pesw8aikvkw32j7x.jpg

I mean look at the pedestrians. They're so dark that you almost can't make out any details on their clothes. It's all just a pitch-black blob.

At first I wondered if it was my TV/HDR setup that was not properly calibrated, but seeing as how this problem is present on the internal screenshots (share button) I'm getting from the console tells me that the problem is not from the TV at all. This is what the PS5 is sending to my TV, which displays it as-is. What's up? Is it like this for everyone else too?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Is it just my configuration or is Spiderman Remastered weirdly lit at times? Most of the times it looks great, but certain situations makes blacks seem completely crushed on some objects/sections, like pedestrians in the shadows for example.

Here's one screenshot that I can show as example:

ent5pesw8aikvkw32j7x.jpg

I mean look at the pedestrians. They're so dark that you almost can't make out any details on their clothes. It's all just a pitch-black blob.

At first I wondered if it was my TV/HDR setup that was not properly calibrated, but seeing as how this problem is present on the internal screenshots (share button) I'm getting from the console tells me that the problem is not from the TV at all. This is what the PS5 is sending to my TV, which displays it as-is. What's up? Is it like this for everyone else too?

Nope, i don´t have such darkly lit pedestrians.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Can I get an honest answer on how loud the system is for people?

I currently experience the disc drive spinning up audibly every now and then.

I can also hear the PS5 fans when I mute the game and sit about 7 feet away from the console?

How silent do people mean when they say their system is silent?,

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a weird issue in activity cards. I have some friends that play rocket league and warzone on ps4, and they now have constant "join their game" activity cards present even when they are offline. Tried a full ps5 reboot but they just come back. Happening with ghosts too. Any thoughts?