• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Mine has dock on ethernet and it's not warm at all when I pick it up in the morning.

I have a Ugreen basic adaptor and internet through electricity plugs.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I genuinely don't understand why people are acting like this is some huge flaw? The 5.0 update made the console stay connected to the internet persistently so it can instantly sync things like parental control settings.
Sigh...

It doesn't warm up while connected via wifi. It does warm up quite a lot when it's connected via ethernet. Are you implying this sounds normal? If it happened with wifi too, ok, you could argue that's just a consequence of the new behavivour, but it doesn't. It only warms up over ethernet. It's a bug.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this happened to me too. Just a bit warm, no big deal but I did remove it one night from the dock.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
Mmm... Maybe this could explain the glitches I had on Splatoon 2?

DcDSxLlU8AA_JBj.jpg

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
I just removed my Switch from the dock after several days, the dock has an ethernet adapter connected to it.

Both joycons have their batteries depleted, the left one to the half of capacity, the right one completely, and they are now charging from the Switch battery. Also yes, Switch was quite warm. What in the ACTUAL FUCK, Nintendo?

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Docked switch with 6 years old noname "fast ethernet" adapter connected all the time. Just felt it...ice cold (as usual)

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fuck, so this is why my Switch has been warm in sleep mode lately? I thought it was because of the screen protector I applied recently.
Gonna use wifi until they fix this.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Just checked mine and it's not warm at all. I have no idea if I have 5.0 firmware though, it just says "Update ready" where the version number is usually listed. Unplugged the Ethernet adapter for now anyway.

Skronk

Nov 22, 2017
User Warned: Drive-by posting
So this is the next hysteria about the Switch dock?

NJDEN

Oct 27, 2017
Mine was connected via Ethernet with a Ugreen adapter. When I checked it did feel slightly warm to the touch, but far from hot. My joycons were not connected to the system so they're not part of the equation; however, the system itself was at 98% battery after sitting in the dock in standby mode and untouched for the past few days.

I'm usually pretty paranoid about heat dissipation on my hardware, so this is a little disconcerting.

Iceman83

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Why can't you guys just use Wi-Fi? I used to use Ethernet until about 2 years ago. Wi-Fi is at the point now you really don' need to worry about reliability.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So this is the next hysteria about the Switch dock?
Oh look, a drive by, thread whining post in a thread in where 5 seconds of reading would show you that this is a proven software issue that ks affecting multiple users!

We are so hysterical. Sorry man
Why can't you guys just use Wi-Fi? I used to use Ethernet until about 2 years ago. Wi-Fi is at the point now you really don' need to worry about reliability.
First of all: Unless you have personally inspected the homes of each and every resetera user, you don't know whether or not ethernet is the best option for them.
Second: Whether WiFi is reliable enough to make ethernet unnecesary or not has nothing to do with the fact that is this a bug that Nintendo needs to fix and that people should know about

Last edited:

Clix

Banned
Mine is still cool to the touch when I take it out of the dock in the morning. Connected through Ethernet but can't remeber the brand. I'll check when I get back home, but I got it off of Amazon for maybe 10-15 bucks?

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Mine is still cool to the touch when I take it out of the dock in the morning. Connected through Ethernet but can't remeber the brand. I'll check when I get back home, but I got it off of Amazon for maybe 10-15 bucks?
Yeah, please check again. Apparently it doesn't happen to some people, it may depend on the adapter, but even if it did, it happens with the officially licensed Hori adapter, and didn't happen before 5.0, so yeah, Nintendo fucked up and needs to fix this

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017

That's not even close to true for me. I live in an apartment complex with a ton of poorly configured APs with loads of cross channel interference. I have some pretty high end equipment, and wifi is not reliable enough for gaming at all here.

Coriander

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
After reading this thread, I just checked mine and it's not at all warm to the touch. It's been docked for several days using the UGREEN Network Adapter.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
ROFL

Yeah, because radio waves are as reliable as a cable.

I can't stop laughing
It's absurd. Like, if wireless was REALLY as reliable as cable, cable would just...not exist anymore. It wouldn't be used. But it is, and for a damn good reason, lol.

I live in the Canary Islands and I already have problems with wifi channels getting overpopulated because I live in a flat in the capital city of the most populated island, less so when using 5 GHz, but still. I can't even begin to comprehend how shitty it must be when living in the middle of New York city for example.

Ethernet isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

But anyway, all this is beside the point. This is a bug, a pretty bad one, and Nintendo needs to fix it.

-Q-

Oct 30, 2017
My 5.0 ethernet connected day 1 Switch was cold this morning. The adapter is a Ugreen, Splatoon was suspended.

Could the Switch hardware rev and/or what software is running at time of sleep be a factor?

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
My 5.0 ethernet connected day 1 Switch was cold this morning. The adapter is a Ugreen, Splatoon was suspended.

Could the Switch hardware rev and/or what software is running at time of sleep be a factor?
Is it the USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 version? Because I also use an Ugreen adapter, USB 3.0

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Third party adapter here, and yes, seems warmer than it used to be.

I think this issue had been identified before though, but I definitely cannot remember if I read something about it here... *shrugs*

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use a third party usb 3.0 ethernet adaptor and plug it into the usb 3.0 port
Not sure if that makes a difference
It gets warm sometimes, not always when docked overnight

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Well, shit. I have third party adapter that I've been using since the Wii launch. Going to be obsessed over this until I get home.

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017
I noticed this as well. Will disconnect till they regulate how much the Switch checks for updates, or whatever the hell it's doing... Thanks, OP.

EDIT: As for wired versus WIFI, yeah, I'm keeping with wired. My fiber internet is noticeably slower on WIFI.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
So, as a follow up to this:

I just removed my Switch from the dock after several days, the dock has an ethernet adapter connected to it.

Both joycons have their batteries depleted, the left one to the half of capacity, the right one completely, and they are now charging from the Switch battery. Also yes, Switch was quite warm. What in the ACTUAL FUCK, Nintendo?
After posting I removed the ethernet adapter (it's the official one BTW) from the dock's USB port (Edit: the "to be USB 3.0 sometime in the future" one inside the dock) and now I've checked the Switch again (it went back to dock before of course). Console is totally cold as you'd expect, joycons fully charged.

There might be some reason for this that's not related to the ethernet adapter but let's face it, there probably isn't. I really hope Nintendo will resolve this fuckup quick because I don't want to be back on Wifi with my Switch even when it's docked and I have an ethernet adapter sitting right next to it, that's mental.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This would explain it...

Do I have to take off the adapter completely, or can I just unplug the ethernet part of it. The latter is more convenient

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Checked mine this morning, been on ethernet via official Wii U adapter full time, Switch was cold as ice (it's cold in Sydney right now too so the metal was literally very cold).

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Checked mine this morning, been on ethernet via official Wii U adapter full time, Switch was cold as ice (it's cold in Sydney right now too so the metal was literally very cold).
Wii U adaptor is different from the Switch adaptor. Wii U adaptor is compatible but it's not gigabit or USB 3.0

Wii U adaptor was essentially the Wii adaptor in different packaging.

Deleted member 30887

User requested account closure.
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Getting Wii connect 24/7 vibes. Nintendo can't seem to properly implement basic features. No auto switching connections. Powersaving features were botched or non existent on 3ds and WiiU (homescreen draws full power, disc always spinning). Amateurs...

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine it's not as much "it's constantly checking for updates" as "it's constantly maintaining connection which requires USB on which triggers full operation of dock and/or other parts". Pure speculation, of course.

Clix

Banned
Getting Wii connect 24/7 vibes. Nintendo can't seem to properly implement basic features. No auto switching connections. Powersaving features were botched or non existent on 3ds and WiiU (homescreen draws full power, disc always spinning). Amateurs...

What? I never had those issues on Wii U or 3DS. Always auto switch connections on the 3DS and Switch depending where I am and my disc on the Wii U never spun unless I was using it. My powersave features all worked as intended.

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
Xharos Do you use the internal USB3.0 slot? It may have to do with the airflow. Try using the front USB slots

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I have the UGreen adapter, when I checked mine the Switch was warm in the dock, but not hot. After unplugging the ethernet adapter, it has been cool out of the dock ever since.

I would agree that something is going on, but unless your Switch is getting hot, I wouldn't worry too much.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
What? I never had those issues on Wii U or 3DS. Always auto switch connections on the 3DS and Switch depending where I am and my disc on the Wii U never spun unless I was using it. My powersave features all worked as intended.
I had the same issues on my 3DS and Wii U, so he isn't alone.

My Wii died thanks to Wii Connect 24, there were artifacts when I played Wii games.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the HORI-adapter and had the Switch warming up in the Dock since 5.0. Have since then taken the Switch out of the Dock when not in use.

Deleted member 30887

User requested account closure.
Banned
Nov 4, 2017

The disc keeps spinning until you open software (not all). Early on (when I still used the browser a lot) I always had to either eject the disc or open up the activity log whenever I used the browser.

The system pulls the same amount of wattage on the homescreen as it does in games. Also the WiiU never switches to wifi whenever I pull out the wired connection.

3ds/gamepad battery saving feature seems to just tone down the screen contrast while not making much or any difference to battery life.

But yes, you're right in that they do switch to whichever wifi connection is optimal.

Edit: Actually I think the system just tries to connect in order of available connections. 1 then 2 then 3, I think...

Last edited:

Clix

Banned
The disc keeps spinning until you open software (not all). Early on (when I still used the browser a lot) I always had to either eject the disc or open up the activity log whenever I used the browser.

The system pulls the same amount of wattage on the homescreen as it does in games. Also the WiiU never switches to wifi whenever I pull out the wired connection.

3ds/gamepad battery saving feature seems to just tone down the screen contrast while not making much or any difference to battery life.

But yes, you're right in that they do switch to whichever wifi connection is optimal.

Edit: Actually I think the system just tries to connect in order of available connections. 1 then 2 then 3, I think...

Odd, I have personally not run into those issues and I use my Wii U often. I cannot comment on the OG Wii since I had that system online for a hot minute to buy some VC games and barely had it online.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Got around checking mine last night. Surely enough it was warn, doesn't look like its affected the joycon batteries. Disconnected my adapter (I think its a Datel Wii LAN Adapter) and checked it in the morning, its back to normal room temperature.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
They fixed this in a software update. At least while using the browser.