finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yah, with all this shit going on, I am keeping my X900F until next year's C11 or whatever Sony puts out. This year's lineup just gives me anxiety through and through.

Mokubba

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not the best judge with picture quality, but I think 4k@120 looks fantastic in-game on my 3080. Even internet browsing/videos are fine. The only thing I notice is that the text on my desktop isn't as crisp, but everything else is fine.

So in game, there's no IQ difference between 60 and 120hz?

faint

Oct 27, 2017
I held (am holding) off on a new TV year due to all of the 2.1 issues from a variety of devices. If you told me I would have waited until 2021 4 months ago, I would have said you're nuts, but here I am.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not the best judge with picture quality, but I think 4k@120 looks fantastic in-game on my 3080. Even internet browsing/videos are fine. The only thing I notice is that the text on my desktop isn't as crisp, but everything else is fine.

Text should be very crisp but there's a couple settings you got to apply first.

Make sure your Display settings in the Nvidia Control Panel are set to have the Display do the picture scaling, not the GPU. Over HDMI 2.1, having the GPU do the scaling slightly pillarboxes the image for some reason. Display scaling for 4k 120hz is perfect, at least on an LG CX.

Set your resolution color settings for Nvidia to override with 4:4:4 10 bit Limited.

Also make sure you turn off ClearType if you're using an LG CX or another display with that sort of OLED TV pixel arrangement. ClearType is objectively worse on these kinds of displays.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So in game, there's no IQ difference between 60 and 120hz?
None that I can tell. I've checked games that run at a smooth 120hz and games that are closer to the 60fps mark like Red Dead Redemption 2
Text should be very crisp but there's a couple settings you got to apply first.

Make sure your Display settings in the Nvidia Control Panel are set to have the Display do the picture scaling, not the GPU. Over HDMI 2.1, having the GPU do the scaling slightly pillarboxes the image for some reason. Display scaling for 4k 120hz is perfect, at least on an LG CX.

Set your resolution color settings for Nvidia to override with 4:4:4 10 bit Limited.

Also make sure you turn off ClearType if you're using an LG CX or another display with that sort of OLED TV pixel arrangement. ClearType is objectively worse on these kinds of displays.
This thread is specifcally about the X900H, no? I'll try those settings though.
I have the Sony 65X950G from last year, I should be good right?
Well, you won't get the HDMI 2.1 update, so... yes? Sorry for the bad news!

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
None that I can tell. I've checked games that run at a smooth 120hz and games that are closer to the 60fps mark like Red Dead Redemption 2

This thread is specifcally about the X900H, no? I'll try those settings though.

Ah yeah my bad - but maybe the logic might still apply.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm just waiting till next year lol. All these revelations keep popping up as we get closer to this launch. Just gonna wait and see some real world results.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm just waiting till next year lol. All these revelations keep popping up as we get closer to this launch. Just gonna wait and see some real world results.
Good plan. A lot of this stuff really hasn't been tested with real world content and devices. I bet a lot of bugs are going to be exposed soon once these new consoles are out.

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Right now I'm prepared to wait (the 900H issue is a deal breaker for me if I wanted a tv this year). However, if it doesn't appear on the consoles, I might bite on one. As much as I hope that well get tvs with 3+ HDMI 2.1 ports, im sure we'll be stuck with the 1/2 ports for the next couple years. It's too niche and will really only affect game console (and let's be realistic, manufacturers would want to save the pennies it'll cost to add in more ports).

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Someone just tell me what 65' TV I should get for my PS5. Lol
Basically the LG BX or CX. both have 4k, HDR, Dolby vision and 120fps. However. I think you are set even with the B as folks with the C post GPU card issues. For console gaming, you can choose either and the image will be amazing. Top of the line atm.

THe vizio oled is a close second but its UI is buggy.

The Sony LEDs with 120fps, you can see the issues in this thread

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
slightly off topic question but is it true that neither series X or PS5 when playing UHD blu rays support dolby vision?
As far as I know, no film exists in dolby vision aside from netflix films. All of my blu ray UHD 4k films have HDR activate on top. None of the boxes advertises dolby vision in any way. The only place that i see dolby vision and dolby cinema is during select netflix content or youtube.

People keep repeating that UHD films exist in dolby vision for physical media. But where? I see not one label of the terms on the boxes. Just 4k HDR.

I literally would not worry about dolby vision. If you play a netflix movie and it pops up, or mandalorian on D+. amazing. But 4k HDR is good enough for HDR in movies.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I know, no film exists in dolby vision aside from netflix films. All of my blu ray UHD 4k films have HDR activate on top. None of the boxes advertises dolby vision in any way. The only place that i see dolby vision and dolby cinema is during select netflix content or youtube.

People keep repeating that UHD films exist in dolby vision for physical media. But where? I see not one label of the terms on the boxes. Just 4k HDR.

I literally would not worry about dolby vision. If you play a netflix movie and it pops up, or mandalorian on D+. amazing. But 4k HDR is good enough for HDR in movies.

List of UHDs that contain Dolby Vision - Blu-ray Forum

List of UHDs that contain Dolby Vision 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies

YSL

Sep 11, 2020
Sorry for bumping this up but was thinking of buying the XH900 how is it handling fast moving scenes? And is screen burn in an issue on these tvs so many options out there making my head hurt lol but would love an answer on this as I went through 2 Samsung tvs and judder is really noticeable and once you see it you can't unsee it unfortunately got my eye on the 55inch model

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL

List of UHDs that contain Dolby Vision - Blu-ray Forum

List of UHDs that contain Dolby Vision 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies
So youre saying that a lot of the films I own that are on this list, simply do not show the dolby vision because my xbox one x and LG OLED dolby tv cannot do it ?

I am missing the player to play the best quality HDR? Braveheart, Alita, etc, all only have HDR when I put those discs into the xbox one x.

I guess I was mistaken. I am missing the feature.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Sorry for bumping this up but was thinking of buying the XH900 how is it handling fast moving scenes? And is screen burn in an issue on these tvs so many options out there making my head hurt lol but would love an answer on this as I went through 2 Samsung tvs and judder is really noticeable and once you see it you can't unsee it unfortunately got my eye on the 55inch model
It's a VA panel, not an OLED. Burn in doesn't exist.

The x900h has some of the best motion processing on the market right now, judder isn't an issue. Judder is also a bigger issue typically on OLED given the instantaneous pixel response, whereas LCD has slower response / transition speeds.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
regarding motion processing and judder. I had a B7A panel which had a lot of lag or suttering or artifacts. But then when they replaced the panel, I think it is a BX panel. It has literally no artifacts at all, even when dejudder and whatnot is set to 10. Interesting

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
So youre saying that a lot of the films I own that are on this list, simply do not show the dolby vision because my xbox one x and LG OLED dolby tv cannot do it ?

I am missing the player to play the best quality HDR? Braveheart, Alita, etc, all only have HDR when I put those discs into the xbox one x.

As far as I know, X1X doesn't support Dolby Vision from a disc source, only from streaming. It's been making rounds lately that Series X/PS5 won't either. You'd need a proper UHD BR player for this.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Well here is an actual video comparison so lets see
www.youtube.com

Sony X900H - Testing 4k / 120Hz blur with a RTX 3080

Edit: this issue appears to be affecting next generation consoles as well: https://www.glitched.online/the-sony-bravia-x900h-4k-120hz-mode-does-suffer-from-a...

Video is not even in 4K. It's capped at 1440p. Doesn't it make sense for a 4K test between 60 and 120hz for the video itself to actually be in 4K in first place baring Youtube compression aside.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Video is not even in 4K. It's capped at 1440p. Doesn't it make sense for a 4K test between 60 and 120hz for the video itself to actually be in 4K in first place baring Youtube compression aside.
If it was really that blurry you would notice it at 1440p too

Edit: According to the person who uploaded the video it is in 4k yt just hasn't updated it yet.
df79bfdb9b2cae3fd2c37572303f113f.png

Last edited:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yah, with all this shit going on, I am keeping my X900F until next year's C11 or whatever Sony puts out. This year's lineup just gives me anxiety through and through.
yeah, I want a master series Sony so im willing to wait til shit gets ironed out and their whole line has all HDMI 2.1

Gambit61's pictures

Gambit61

Oct 26, 2017
Well here is an actual video comparison so lets see
www.youtube.com

Sony X900H - Testing 4k / 120Hz blur with a RTX 3080

Edit: this issue appears to be affecting next generation consoles as well: https://www.glitched.online/the-sony-bravia-x900h-4k-120hz-mode-does-suffer-from-a...
Wow thanks for posting this. I just got a 3080 two days ago and thought I had a defective card. I get the same signal loss when trying to jump from 60hz refresh rates to 120hz. Each time I have to set my output color depth to 8bpc, then manually change it to 12bpc.

I also did a quick test yesterday in FH4:
fh4-4k60hz-2fujkr.jpg

fh4-4k120hz-2eukik.jpg

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
People just wait buying a new tv. Hdmi 2.1 is broken as of now, hopefully it will be fixed with next years tvs and avrs. But it could very well be 2022 if its indeed the chip used(production of tvs are already in production), that no patchable with a FW update.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
What's wrong with the LGs, other than price (at least for gaming)? All I see is praise for it left and right, and that it has all the future proofing you need.

Outside of potential burn-in if you don't use varied content, I can't think of anything, and even if you use varied content factoring the built-in protections that mitigate said potential burn-in issues, there doesn't seem to be anything that I'm aware of that would suggest that the recent set of LG OLEDs are a bad choice for a gaming TV.

The only thing that comes to mind was that one issue with G-Sync not playing nice at 4K 120hz, but recent firmware update took care of that issue, other than that I don't see any issue with the recent LG OLED sets. I mean they check almost every single box, 1440P native support, all four HDMI ports are 2.1, G-Sync AND Freesync Premium, and Dolby Vision.

If there is a another known issue that detracts the LG OLED against being a good TV for gaming, I'm certainly not aware of it.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of potential burn-in if you don't use varied content, I can't think of anything, and even if you use varied content factoring the built-in protections that mitigate said potential burn-in issues, there doesn't seem to be anything that I'm aware of that would suggest that the recent set of LG OLEDs are a bad choice for a gaming TV.

The only thing that comes to mind was that one issue with G-Sync not playing nice at 4K 120hz, but recent firmware update took care of that issue, other than that I don't see any issue with the recent LG OLED sets. I mean they check almost every single box, 1440P native support, all four HDMI ports are 2.1, G-Sync AND Freesync Premium, and Dolby Vision.

If there is a another known issue that detracts the LG OLED against being a good TV for gaming, I'm certainly not aware of it.

Technically you can't have Dolby Vision and Freesync at the same time. The CX is so good that the issues of the CX are really down to being that niche and granular.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I had headphones attached to my tv and late at night it started popping. Was surprised it wasn't fixed in the latest firmware. I'm happy that I was able to return the TV. The one I'm using now is 4K but no HDR, but it'll suffice until next years TVs.
Yeah next year I hope all their lines go to 2.1.

Ocelott

Oct 25, 2017
So glad these issues came out before I spent money on this TV. I could careless about 120hz honestly as I don't think many games will even hit that mark. I do want a 4k TV with a nice picture but not an OLED as I had burn-in issues with all OLED devices lol.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
So glad these issues came out before I spent money on this TV. I could careless about 120hz honestly as I don't think many games will even hit that mark. I do want a 4k TV with a nice picture but not an OLED as I had burn-in issues with all OLED devices lol.
Personally I suspect it will be fine on consoles And it's an isolated issue with PC.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017

A Dolby Vision icon pops up when you boot anything thats in dolby vision, apps on xbox one X can do it, but I hear the quality is a little less accurate, than TV led dolby vision. Using the TV's built in apps, and a dedicated player is the way to go.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Some reports from Avsforums that Sony has removed the 4k/120hz update.

I'm guessing this means they're aware of the issue and are hopefully fixing it.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017

I think you're right. Other than the 'potential' for burn-in, there isn't much to worry about. The only other slight thing I've seen mentioned in gaming specific reviews is the tendency for OLEDs to 'crush blacks' in comparison to LEDs, but the flip side of that is that you get deeper black levels, so pick your poison I guess.

I was all down for the XH90 until I found out it only supported HDMI 2.1. on 2 of the 4 HDMI ports, and I will need at least 3 (2 consoles and eARC). So my only now it is a case of wait until next year or see if a CX is available for a great price in or around Black Friday.

Feral Gingy

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Some reports from. Avsforums are stating Sony has removed the 4k/120hz update.

If true I wonder if this means they're aware of the issue and hopefully are trying to fix it.
There are definitely some random issues besides the blurry 4K/120hz. Ever since I updated mine it reboots exactly once and without fail every time I turn it on. It happens within 15 minutes from turning on but only if watching TV. Must be some bug with the TV tuner. Never happens if I watch something from HDMI.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I paused a movie yesterday on my OLED and I went to get a drink, not even a minute or two later I get back and I see the exploding dot screensaver already on. In theory, as long as you don't leave a video game turned on static or news channel bars. Movies and shows paused should not be an issue.