• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
On a more seriosu note, how Burning Shores gonna harness the power of PS5 Pro (in an update).

🤔

I love those cotton candy clouds.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
tumblr_p7qa26a6xZ1whmi8io1_1280.jpg

It's almost time.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
The same game director in 2021:

www.hardwarezone.com.sg

Interview: Horizon Forbidden West's creators promise a highly ambitious sequel

Will Aloy finally get to fly on a machine? We talked to the creators of Horizon Forbidden West to find out.

That's not the same thing as saying they maximalised the hardware with the PS5.

It's really not that contradictory. How they built Forbidden West utilised art assets that couldn't run on PS4, but needed to be able to be pared back to run on last generation machines.

With the DLC, they don't have to keep that system in mind, so can go bigger with what they are able to do both mechanically and in scope.

It's pretty clear that the battle against the metal devil is the showcase feature on display with the DLC, and that simply would just never run on a PS4 while retaining the target fidelity.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much different from the base game it will really be, being at heart the same game. Will this be a different map altogether? I can't imagine, say, flying at double the speed if you're able to cross into the base game map.

Anyway, always fun to see PR team juggling between "Of course the game being on PS4 won't hold back PS5 version!" and "PS5 so powerful your TV might explode at the amazing stuff displayed, never possible before" talk.
And judging by the rumors, next year they are gonna do the same for PS5 Pro lmao

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
On one hand, I can't wait for this. On the other, I remember how tough the last DLC was because I completely forgot how to play the game between beating it and DLC launch.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Given how heavily Sony leans on letting gameplay do the talking, there is very little of that here.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I wonder if the scale of the Horus-class machine will be true to the original. According to the lore, these things were absolutely massive and took an enormous amount of firepower to bring down.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the scale of the Horus-class machine will be true to the original. According to the lore, these things were absolutely massive and took an enormous amount of firepower to bring down.
Looks absolutely massive going off the little tease they gave of it destroying the mountain.

Ferrera

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2022
They really need to stop worrying about PS4 now. It's been two years already. Glad to hear it's exclusive.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Feel free to show what you're talking about Guerilla. I saw some pretty visible pop in that reveal trailer which makes me wary of what they say. The clouds do look good, I'll give them that.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Cool! I've been avoiding footage because I haven't finished FW yet. From what I remember the Horus machine were enormous mobile factories that produced other machines in the field.
Definitely avoid page 2 then as there's a gif of that tease and my bad if I gave anything away with my comment that you wanted to avoid.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I'm confused, they state why it's exclusive to PS5:

The cityscape ruins of LA and its surroundings are highly detailed and require a lot of processing power as well as fast streaming technology to run properly; especially when the player is flying over the lands and can see a lot at once. One of the settlements is situated in and around those detailed ruins, and we were able to squeeze a lot of activity in there.

Another notable one is a particular battle scene that requires a LOT of memory and processing power!

Using the PS5's processing power we can run certain simulations at higher speed creating more lifelike results and a better gameplay experience.

LA being more detailed + flying, Horus fight, and sped up simulations.

Mar 19, 2021
Just hope the actual game expansion part is vastly better than the base game, don't really care about graphics or detail although this will look nice on my C2

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for this.

100% serious, I'm looking forward to this more than any actual new game releases this year. Forbidden West was fantastic, imo. I've played over 200 hours (original playthrough + NG+).

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
That's not the same thing as saying they maximalised the hardware with the PS5.

It's really not that contradictory. How they built Forbidden West utilised art assets that couldn't run on PS4, but needed to be able to be pared back to run on last generation machines.

With the DLC, they don't have to keep that system in mind, so can go bigger with what they are able to do both mechanically and in scope.

It's pretty clear that the battle against the metal devil is the showcase feature on display with the DLC, and that simply would just never run on a PS4 while retaining the target fidelity.
I don't understand how this DLC 'maximised the hardware with the PS5'.

The base game considered PS4 technology. They haven't redeveloped the entire engine specifically for this DLC, have they? It seems like they have turned up all the scalable knobs to 11 though.

In my view, that's not the same thing as maximising PS5 hardware.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I don't understand how this DLC 'maximised the hardware with the PS5'.

The base game considered PS4 technology. They haven't redeveloped the entire engine specifically for this DLC, have they? It seems like they have turned up all the scalable knobs to 11 though.

In my view, that's not the same thing as maximising PS5 hardware.

This is a completely different misreading of what's being said, because they aren't saying they're maximising the PS5's power with the DLC either, just that without developing with PS4 in mind they're able to better make use of it.

Harnessing somethings power doesn't mean to make 100% use of its power, which I re-read the OP to double check, and at no point do they say anything about making maximum use of any of the PS5's internals.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
hope this side quest is its own contained story because i ain't exactly anticipating the sequel.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Fully expect this to run about the same as the base game on the same h/w when both will be ported to PC.

Sep 6, 2022
People saying "I see no reason this could not run on the PS4".
You need to see a detailed breakdown between the 2 platform versions to really appreciate the leap between them.

Watch this Digital Foundry video on the differences between the PS5 and PS4 version of Horizon Forbidden West, it goes far beyond just "resolution and framerate".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVdxbaS1BiY

Everything for instance is rendering in real-time on the PS5, meanwhile the PS4 version uses pre-recorded video clips during several moments in the game because the PS4 literally can't handle rendering that stuff in the same way.

After watching this video, I believe Guerilla aren't bullshitting when they are saying that they are going to push things further in the DLC using the PS5's tech.

Last edited:

kohlmannj

Oct 28, 2021
Manhattan, NY
Horizon Forbidden West on PS5 already had some form of real-time volumetric cloud/fog rendering that was simply absent on last gen. (I think the Digital Foundry video touches on this, actually.)

Thus I'll be curious to see if they're able to introduce any other new environment rendering techniques in Burning Shores.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I care less about them improving the visuals and more about the scale of the inevitable Horus fight and an improvement on flight speed.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure they will. But it's a little strange that they couldn't explain how they will, when asked, and just resorted to listing the same improvements over PS4 that the base game has.
The real answer is probably kinda boring lol. Like do you want them to point to specific fire textures theyd have to take out for PS4? The big benefit of not including PS4 is ease of development and not having to worry about optimizing heavy PS5 scenes for PS4 later.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
As much as I found Forbidden West to be an unsatisfying game, the technical presentation of this game on PS5 is simply astonishing, it's probably the most jaw dropping gorgeous game across all platforms.

Really curious how they manage to push the visuals even further.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
FW is already such a looker I can't imagine it looking even better, in an obvious way