NekoCat

May 6, 2022
New York
I've been doing that for the last month, going through the PSVR 1 backlog when I could find the time. Didn't really enjoy Blood & Truth (although the production values are fantastic), got stuck on a boss fight I couldn't get past in Farpoint, and absolutely hated the few hours I put into Borderlands 2 (my first Borderlands game, and clearly my last), but Invisible Hours wound up being an early front runner for GOTY 2023. For people who like murder mysteries, time travel, stories, and plays, with a sprinkling of Nikola Tesla & Thomas Edison, it's very much worth checking out.

Tonight: Déraciné.

Invisible Hours was so underrated. It had a wonderful sense of place and a truly entertaining mystery.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I've been doing that for the last month, going through the PSVR 1 backlog when I could find the time. Didn't really enjoy Blood & Truth (although the production values are fantastic), got stuck on a boss fight I couldn't get past in Farpoint, and absolutely hated the few hours I put into Borderlands 2 (my first Borderlands game, and clearly my last), but Invisible Hours wound up being an early front runner for GOTY 2023. For people who like murder mysteries, time travel, stories, and plays, with a sprinkling of Nikola Tesla & Thomas Edison, it's very much worth checking out.

Tonight: Déraciné.
Lol are you me? I also hated Farpoint (gave a bunch tries since day 1, which was almost 6 years ago and I still can't get into it). Finally got around to play Invisible Hours after being in back log for years and I loved it, even got the platinum. Deracine is surprising good, just a tad slow. Easy platinum if you follow a guide.

I just finished Vader, which was short but sweet. Doom 3 is cool but the aim controller tracking is ridiculous (PSVR tracking in general is the thing I'm glad to move away from). Just have Iron Man VR and Sniper Elite VR left and I'll probably give RE7 Chris DLC a run in VR. After that I'll just go down memory lane playing Astro, VR Worlds and Until Dawn.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
It's sort of embarrassing that I've worked in the industry for nearly multiple decades and I know like nothing about VR titles. I recall conversations in meetings like a century ago with Sony seeing VR1 before it came out. And I personally just never got into it. Reflection of the industry or me personally? Questions for another day!

That said, I decided to personally jump in head first with PSVR2 and now have one so I'm welcoming myself to the club!

If you'd recommend 1-3 launch games to a sceptic, what would they be? I've only ever played beat saber and super hot years ago on an older Vive

Walkabout Golf
Moss
The Last Clockwinder

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
It's possible we might get to move No Man's Sky from launch window to launch day. Sean Murray from Hello Games apparently always tweets a single emoji just before a new update is launched and... he just did that:

View: https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1627095294105243649?s=20

Phew, he's running a little late. I expected this a day earlier. But, yeah, this is pretty reliable based on the way he's teased at least the last half dozen updates.

The interesting part is what the snowflake emoji refers to in the update itself. It always has something to do with the update. But if the update is primarily for PSVR2, what does a snowflake have to do with VR? It could also be about something else in the update.

Last edited:

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
It's sort of embarrassing that I've worked in the industry for nearly multiple decades and I know like nothing about VR titles. I recall conversations in meetings like a century ago with Sony seeing VR1 before it came out. And I personally just never got into it. Reflection of the industry or me personally? Questions for another day!

That said, I decided to personally jump in head first with PSVR2 and now have one so I'm welcoming myself to the club!

If you'd recommend 1-3 launch games to a sceptic, what would they be? I've only ever played beat saber and super hot years ago on an older Vive
What are you looking for in VR? If it's feeling like you're really there, something like GT7 or Resident Evil Village would probably be great. If you're looking for social interaction, probably Walkabout Minigolf or Zenith (maybe Demeo, I don't know much about that one). If you're not sure what you want, go with Tetris Effect, Moss, and Thumper.

Although I will say if Beat Saber and Superhot didn't do much for you, Tetris Effect and Thumper might struggle a bit too.

Hmm, basically try Moss if nothing else.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
What are you looking for in VR? If it's feeling like you're really there, something like GT7 or Resident Evil Village would probably be great. If you're looking for social interaction, probably Walkabout Minigolf or Zenith (maybe Demeo, I don't know much about that one). If you're not sure what you want, go with Tetris Effect, Moss, and Thumper.

Although I will say if Beat Saber and Superhot didn't do much for you, Tetris Effect and Thumper might struggle a bit too.

Hmm, basically try Moss if nothing else.

I already have Village so if it comes with the VR update already, I'm there!

And you and everyone else dropping me tips suggested Moss so… that sounds like something I will have to get this week! Thank you guys!

I notice no one mentioned Horizon, so I guess it's not an immersive showpiece? Honestly I've played both Horizons and lapsed out pretty early in the open world so maybe it's not for me?

Is the Star Wars game any good?

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Awesome! Would my launch PS4 disc copy work? Or is the PS5 version a good total different SKU?
As far as I know the PS4 disc copy will allow you to download the PS5 version for free, so long as the disc's in the drive. I got NMS at launch on disc on the PS4, and can't imagine that I ever got the digital version, but I've played both the PS4 version (on PSVR 1) and PS5 version (flatscreen) on my PS5. It's been a while since I played it, but my memory is I still had to have the PS4 disc in the drive in order to play the PS5 version.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation

And you and everyone else dropping me tips suggested Moss so… that sounds like something I will have to get this week! Thank you guys!

I notice no one mentioned Horizon, so I guess it's not an immersive showpiece? Honestly I've played both Horizons and lapsed out pretty early in the open world so maybe it's not for me?

For the most part, you're pretty much getting recommendations for games people have played. None of us have tried Horizon VR yet, so take the plunge with that if you're intrigued.

I'm going Kayaking for my first PSVR2 excursion. :-D

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
So, is this just not getting a retail release on launch day or what? I don't want to order online.
Came in here to ask the same question. Any reason this is only available directly though Sony in the States, less than a week from release? And why is nobody asking Sony this question?
It's only available via Playstation Direct in the US, UK, and some other regions. Outside of that, it's available via retail. I'm not sure Sony's ever given a reason, although I'd assume some of it has to do with avoiding the scalping situation that plagued the PS5. Also, though: no one knew what demand would be like, and very possibly the margins are incredibly thin on the headset, and Sony decided they couldn't lose the retail cut in their major territories - there's certainly general agreement that, expensive though it is, it's absolutely worth what you're paying for technology-wise.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017

I'm sure Horizon is an immersive showpiece, but it doesn't sound as interesting as a game. I will say bow combat in VR is a lot of fun based on my time in Skyrim. But RE:Village appears to be having fun with VR too with things like opening your coat to access inventory.

Horizon VR isn't open world, it's more of a climbing game based on some of the reviews.

The Star Wars game I haven't played, but apparently it comes with DLC from earlier versions that bring it up to mediocre.

Games I'd play day 1 if I had the time: Kayak, GT7, Tetris Effect, Rez, Zenith, Moss Book 2. Maybe Demeo and Walkabout if someone I know gets one. But most of those games are hardly showcases.

Do watch out for motion sickness, quit early and quit often. Trying to push through it could teach your body to feel sick just thinking about VR.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I'm sure Horizon is an immersive showpiece, but it doesn't sound as interesting as a game. I will say bow combat in VR is a lot of fun based on my time in Skyrim. But RE:Village appears to be having fun with VR too with things like opening your coat to access inventory.

Horizon VR isn't open world, it's more of a climbing game based on some of the reviews.

The Star Wars game I haven't played, but apparently it comes with DLC from earlier versions that bring it up to mediocre.

Games I'd play day 1 if I had the time: Kayak, GT7, Tetris Effect, Rez, Zenith, Moss Book 2. Maybe Demeo and Walkabout if someone I know gets one. But most of those games are hardly showcases.

Do watch out for motion sickness, quit early and quit often. Trying to push through it could teach your body to feel sick just thinking about VR.

Moss 1 or 2 if you havent played either?

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France

Will it be your 1st time in VR John Harker???

emalem

Oct 28, 2017
is total free movement in a first person view still a problem due to motion sickness, even with updated lenses and resolution? I feel like as long as that is not solved VR games are not able to fully create an immersive experience

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
is total free movement in a first person view still a problem due to motion sickness, even with updated lenses and resolution? I feel like as long as that is not solved VR games are not able to fully create an immersive experience
It depends on the person. It's not like seasickness is no longer a problem, but boats still exist.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
I'll also add to this: if I understood the Song in the Smoke devs correctly, it's an API thing that you just turn on. I don't think developers can influence how it works. I also guess you mean the ghost frames cause by some movement when the game uses reprojection.

It's definitely customizable and extremely well implemented in Unreal. I would stare at moving, high-frequency areas of the screen (like geometric foliage blowing in the wind really far away) and adjust from there. Sometimes I'd turn it off to see if it made a difference and I was like "agh, turn it back on!"

Like I said in the interview, I am dying to see how other people implemented it.
THREE OF US! THREE OF US!

Four. Invisible Hours is staggering. I'm in awe of how it all ties together.

emalem

Oct 28, 2017
It depends on the person. It's not like seasickness is no longer a problem, but boats still exist.
Would it be possible to make a game like cyberpunk fully playable in VR with with free movement (using the stick to move) without creating a sickness simulator?

I used psvr 1 but felt very sick after a while playing games like Wipeout. I also tried doom vr but it felt very limited due to the point and click movement. So I'm on the fence buying VR2

Dec 3, 2020
Question: if I buy tetris effect connected now on psn I will need to pay for the update? Or is the vr2 version already available? Never owned the game before.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Would it be possible to make a game like cyberpunk fully playable in VR with with free movement (using the stick to move) without creating a sickness simulator?

I used psvr 1 but felt very sick after a while playing games like Wipeout. I also tried doom vr but it felt very limited due to the point and click movement. So I'm on the fence buying VR2

If you couldn't handle Wipeout and tried all the techniques to build up VR legs then I don't think VR2 is going to be that much different.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Any good arcade light gun-like game recommendations? I mean stuff like pistol whip looks neat but it's more of a rhythm game? I just want something like Time Crisis or HotD.
In addition to the recommendations you've already had I'd suggest keeping an eye on Crisis Brigade 2 to see if it gets a PS VR2 update. It's very much in line with those classic light gun games you're craving.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Does anyone here know much about progressive miniaturization in the cable industry? I was wondering how long it would be before Sony could offer a thinner, lighter cable replacement. The one they've used already seems good, but a cable that was half the weight and thickness would be even better.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Does anyone here know much about progressive miniaturization in the cable industry? I was wondering how long it would be before Sony could offer a thinner, lighter cable replacement. The one they've used already seems good, but a cable that was half the weight and thickness would be even better.
This one already seems so thin compared to the Vive cable :)

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but then I look at something like the super-light 3.5mm jack cable for my headphones and wonder if a 40GBps USB-C cable could ever be made that thin. I'm guessing not, but I wanted to learn more.

It's fair to say that wizardry is already going on here, as this isn't like a Quest USB C only, where it's using video compression to stream, and you can see the artifacts, Sony are using some kind of Displayport mashup protocol, combined with USB! I'm sure it could get shrunk down at some point, but it is impressive really.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

I say blow your mind straight out of the gate.

Rez Infinite
Gran Turismo 7
Pavlov

You got your acid-trip adrenaline rush, your high fidelity racing sim and the best multiplayer VR shooter around. That's one hell of a sampler platter.

Todu

Mar 31, 2020

Unfortunately it isn't a technological problem. It's a physiological one. Technology will never solve the way your brain works and the time it needs to adapt. Good news is that your brain adapts to the situation, bad news if that it takes time. Take a break when you start to feel bad.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
For your first steps to ease you into VR I'd recommend:

- Moss
- Job/Vacation Simulator
- Kayak VR
- Synth Riders

…and Walkabout Minigolf, whenever it comes out.

Regarding Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge: I'd wait for a sale, that game was 15 €/$ cheaper when it came to other platforms 1.5 years ago.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

As the other poster said, it's all personal. Some people have zero motion sickness in VR no matter how extreme the content (I'm in this camp) while others instantly get sick and can't withstand VR with every comfort setting enabled. Most people who experience motion sickness can build up a tolerance over time but it's not possible for some.

If you still own a PSVR 1, I would suggest playing some games over the next few days and weeks and trying to build up a tolerance. If you're unable to get over that sickness even with comfort options enabled, you may just be unable to comfortably enjoy VR. I certainly wouldn't go all in and buy a $550 headset if you've had bad experiences in the past and haven't built up any sort of tolerance, that's for sure.

As for the actual mechanics of VR games, almost every VR game includes a range of comfort options, everything from vignettes to reduced movement speeds to make things more comfortable for people who need them. You can also turn those off if you want the "full" experience unencumbered. For a game like Wipeout, it's an incredibly intense experience without any comfort settings enabled and that's exactly how I like it. If you are prone to motion sickness and went straight into Wipeout, yeah, you're going to have a bad time. It's better to ease yourself in.

In short though, yeah, it's not a technological problem that can be "solved," it's a personal physiological issue you're experiencing. It's a clunky example but it's a bit like spicy food. My Mom can't handle anything spicier than a bit of ground pepper while I use ghost and cayenne peppers to make hot sauce. She could probably build up a tolerance to spicy food if she really worked up to it but some people just can't handle heat at all. You can eat foods with varying different degrees of heat but ultimately, it's up to your body. You can't rejigger the formula for extremely spicy food and keep the heat but make it more tolerable for people who couldn't handle it before.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Tetris Effect: Connected - To see how VR can elevate an existing title and also a nice starting point in general. If you haven't prior I'd play a few levels on flat and then move to VR. I love TE anyway, but in VR it's an astonishing audiovisual accomplishment. With all the praise around colour and contrast in the VR2, I expect it to be even better than it was before.

Horizon: Call of the Mountain - Visual showcase with a lot happening in the world around you, cut with verticality and scale which is something VR allows you to feel on a different galaxy to anything on a TV. This should give you a full force treat of what it's like to be 'in' another world.

RE: Village - 3D audio + VR + horror = an extremely effective showcase of what VR can bring to an entire genre. I'm not amazing at horror games in general but the difference between seeing someone walk past a doorway suddenly on the TV, to being in the house itself and suddenly seeing a 7ft man walk across the doorway in front of you, is a world a part. With RE7 it wasn't a question of whether I wanted to play the game again, it was whether I wanted to go back into that house.

- - -

Special mention:

No Man's Sky - If you've played this for a length on flat then this is a must play after your first set of hors d'oeuvres. I have loved this game since launch but the one thing it lacked for me was a significant sense of scale. Down to how that starting ship feels really quite small, and lot of the personal ships do in general. Switching to VR for the first time was a real treat, because suddenly the ship I was so used to seeing was there, sat beside me. As big as you would expect it to be. Plants that looked tall before now towered above me. VR finally added that missing piece of scale for me, and it's really impressive when you finally get that added to the mix.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
For your first steps to ease you into VR I'd recommend:

- Moss
- Job/Vacation Simulator
- Kayak VR
- Synth Riders

…and Walkabout Minigolf, whenever it comes out.

Regarding Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge: I'd wait for a sale, that game was 15 €/$ cheaper when it came to other platforms 1.5 years ago.

It was only half a game when it came out though. This is the full thing

KRA

Aug 5, 2022
is DROOL - thumper devs - still around? do we know if they work on any vr games?
i actually never have finished that game because it was kind of too intense for me to play after work :)
but the game and the music was so cool that it kind of lives rent free somewhere in the back of my head to this day i guess...

edit.

lol at post above me that poped up for me after i wrote my comment...

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At the very least I want Horizon CoTM for how incredible it looks. It seems it matches if not surpasses Forbidden West in terms of asset density. Looks incredible

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Just found the moss bundle again since it didn't turn up with a simple search. I guess everyone who wants both games, should pre-order since the 10% deal will run out on the 22nd

Moss and Moss: Book II Bundle

The Moss franchise has quickly become a ‘must-play’ for all VR players.