(PC) Workaround for stuttering for non-WinStore versions

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The game is set to DX12 mode by default which always has shader generation stuttering in UE4. This can be changed with the command line -dx11 which will start the game in DX11 mode.

Note the Game pass version can't be changed to DX11 and will always run in DX12 mode this was the same in other UE4 game pass titles like the Ascent dunno why.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Played for about 30 minutes. Pretty fun and charming so far. Combat sort of reminds me of Scarlet Nexus.

Game Pass PC version is super smooth. Menus and cutscenes don't support ultrawide but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the game does during gameplay. Definitely going to give it some more time.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
What's up with the dude you can clairvoyance in the main area of the mother lode who sees you as a
crazed lunatic with bacon floating everywhere? I tried collecting the bacon but it doesn't seem like you can?

Very minor spoilers for early in the game, just spoilering for people going in completely blind.

Don't overthink that guy. He just likes bacon. You may see bacon elsewhere before long.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying the game so far, but the complete lack of rumble is unfortunate. Playing so much PS5, I've gotten used to the tactile feedback. I know the Series X/S's rumble is way less sophisticated, but I would have thought we'd have something there at least.

B33

Oct 25, 2017
The Retirement State
if you haven't played the first game, you can skip it and watch an unofficial recap video on YouTube, as well as sit through the short story recap that opens the second game. It's not impenetrable to outsiders.

Psychonauts 2 overall feels more accessible and polished than its predecessor. The writing is noticeably sharper. The story is more nuanced and the characters have more depth.

Things are mindfully introduced and reiterated upon (without being cumbersome) to jog your memory if you played the first game but don't recall things or if you're a newcomer.

I wouldn't sweat it either way.

Mazzo

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
is Pouncy Ball broken? I don't seem to be able to compress the Lev Ball

edit: I was looking at the wrong rank! my bad

Last edited:

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
It is wild to me how much they've nailed the atmosphere and tone here. Just feels like an effortless continuation of the first, with much more polished mechanics and visuals.

Still can't believe I'm finally playing this, man. Doubted it would ever happen several times over the years, even after backing.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Question for those who are playing it. From what I saw game really looks nice but I noticed that certain areas really have issues with shading and to be more precise lack of proper GI. For example this screenshot

Psychonauts2-screenshots-20210417-4k-033@1200.jpg.webp

Lack of AO around plants is really noticeable.

So is it me or game really could use better GI solution or even better RayTracing XD

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Question for those who are playing it. From what I saw game really looks nice but I noticed that certain areas really have issues with shading and to be more precise lack of proper GI. For example this screenshot

Psychonauts2-screenshots-20210417-4k-033@1200.jpg.webp

Lack of AO around plants is really noticeable.

So is it me or game really could use better GI solution or even better RayTracing XD
The game is very basic graphically. Really nice art style, though.

Dyna

Nov 1, 2017
Finland
I was hoping to have completed the first game before this one, but it didn't really stick with me past the first hour and a half. Should I still hop into this right away or make my way through the original first?

May 26, 2018
Hey, I'm on PC and the interface completely locks up after I view an item in my inventory. The engine is still running but the game ceases to respond to my input. Anyone else having this problem, and are there any workarounds?

Madman009

Oct 27, 2017
So I need help lol, so I bought it on steam, started the game and it said "yo go update your drivers son" so I did, but now? every time I boot the game it hard crashes and says fatal error ue4 game has crashed.

So now after reinstalling 3 different times and even going back to the old drivers I had I'm just sat here at a loss not knowing what to do.

Anybody got any suggestions? Words of encouragement lol?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the first area. This has some of the coolest level design in gaming, right? I can't stop smiling when I'm playing this.

DF Aaron

Jun 4, 2021
The game is set to DX12 mode by default which always has shader generation stuttering in UE4. This can be changed with the command line -dx11 which will start the game in DX11 mode.

Note the Game pass version can't be changed to DX11 and will always run in DX12 mode this was the same in other UE4 game pass titles like the Ascent dunno why.
It's curious that some people are experiencing stuttering. We preload shaders, so the game shouldn't stutter, but something is obviously up. Could you please email [email protected], explain what you're seeing, and include your DxDiag info? I'd love to be able to address it, but I haven't been able to reproduce the issue myself.

DF Aaron

Jun 4, 2021
So I need help lol, so I bought it on steam, started the game and it said "yo go update your drivers son" so I did, but now? every time I boot the game it hard crashes and says fatal error ue4 game has crashed.

So now after reinstalling 3 different times and even going back to the old drivers I had I'm just sat here at a loss not knowing what to do.

Anybody got any suggestions? Words of encouragement lol?
We've seen a few people with similar issues (are you getting DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED by chance?) - so far running the game with -DX11 has gotten around the issue for some, though we're not sure what the root issue is yet. If you wouldn't mind, it would be helpful if you emailed [email protected], explained the crash you're seeing, and attached your DxDiag info. Thanks!

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying the game so far, but the complete lack of rumble is unfortunate. Playing so much PS5, I've gotten used to the tactile feedback. I know the Series X/S's rumble is way less sophisticated, but I would have thought we'd have something there at least.
Image quality wise, how is it, especially not rendering at 4K?

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
damn i'm missing one figment in the first level and i can't find it for the life of me. one of the 3 gray dental scalers.

Madman009

Oct 27, 2017
We've seen a few people with similar issues (are you getting DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED by chance?) - so far running the game with -DX11 has gotten around the issue for some, though we're not sure what the root issue is yet. If you wouldn't mind, it would be helpful if you emailed [email protected], explained the crash you're seeing, and attached your DxDiag info. Thanks!
Thanks for the response! I'll email yall in a sec but yeah I tried the -DX11 bit but no dice there, and I'm not getting that error code just all it says is that "the game has crashed and will close, fatal error" I'll keep trying stuff in the meantime and see if I cant get around it somehow.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I wish this tier of writing wasn't so rare in games these days, I'm actively looking out for every npc to speak to possible

DF Aaron

Jun 4, 2021
Thanks for the response! I'll email yall in a sec but yeah I tried the -DX11 bit but no dice there, and I'm not getting that error code just all it says is that "the game has crashed and will close, fatal error" I'll keep trying stuff in the meantime and see if I cant get around it somehow.
Ah, ok, in that case it would be great if you could attach a crash dump to the email - you can find them at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Psychonauts2\Saved\Crashes
Thanks!

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's curious that some people are experiencing stuttering. We preload shaders, so the game shouldn't stutter, but something is obviously up. Could you please email [email protected], explain what you're seeing, and include your DxDiag info? I'd love to be able to address it, but I haven't been able to reproduce the issue myself.

Dunno it probably comes down to GPU vendor and GPU model consensus is NV DX11 drivers are better than AMD DX11 drivers, so the gain from going to DX12 is greater for AMD cards. Also older NV cards are usually better with DX11 then DX12. Might be a good idea to make it a menu option since you guys don't really use any features which require DX12 in this game as far as i can see so ppl can easily switch APIs

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Weird im recieving the FPS drops, it could be stable 144fps than hitting certain things, certain story triggers drops it down to 30ish...don't mind dropping it to 60 if needed it's just the sudden drops are killing me.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Weird im recieving the FPS drops, it could be stable 144fps than hitting certain things, certain story triggers drops it down to 30ish...don't mind dropping it to 60 if needed it's just the sudden drops are killing me.

As i wrote above just try -DX11 mode if you have the game on steam or GOG (Game pass is DX12 only unfortunately) on my older 1070 TI this completely fixes it and i get about 30 fps more.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Is this game stuttering a little for anyone else on PC (Gamepass)? I have a 3080 and an i9 processor, so I thought I should be able to run something like this at max settings, but I find that there's just a slight stutter whenever I whip the camera around.
Yes I just booted up the game on Gamepass and there are some stutters and massive framerate drops for no apparent reason at certain points. I have a 3080 and 5800x and it's easily playing at 144fps in 3440x1440p at max settings otherwise.

Edit: Seems like the gamepass version is once again problematic versus other releases. Good stuff Microsoft.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Is the PC gamepass version ok? Might just get it on PS5 if its in better shape.

It's DX12 only again, steam and GOG versions can be set to DX11 with the -dx11 command line. There is some shader generation related stuttering in DX12 on some configurations which can be circumvented by switching to DX11 in the other versions but not on Game pass.

Oct 25, 2017
i just got to "the questionable area" and i can't believe how big this game is — it's been a while since i've played a 3D platformer that's structured like this. i'm super impressed.

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
Game was competent and felt good but story wise was kind of ho hum until

I was asked to make mental connections with a bunch of disparate concepts like Cilantro and Poison, with each combination giving a different joke. I spent 20 minutes mixing and matching them while cackling, it was too good. This actually felt like some genuine 90s LucasArts energy. Since then it's been a great ride