• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CornIsGood

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the first level on my series x. Really impressed so far! Nightdive has outdone themselves with this version!

kenjieno

User requested ban
Banned
May 31, 2023
I do love all boomer shooters we've had recently but playing this for 20 minutes on my PS5 and everything pales compared to these all time classics. What a corker this still is.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Nightdive is god's gift to mankind. It's insane how fully featured this release is: runs on modern platforms, enhanced graphics, controller support, splitscreen, modern networking for multiplayer, cross-play, Quake II 64, an entirely new expansion by nuWolf guys, options to make the experience as authentic as you want (texture filtering, CRT shader, etc.), and MORE.

It's insane! AND IT'S ONLY $10.

I legitimately feel like I stole from Bethesda/id/Nightdive because I got this as a free upgrade. I actually bought Quake 1/2/3 in a bundle for $6.64 on the day Quake 1 remastered came out to take advantage of the free upgrade then.

Belphegor

Sep 24, 2021
No achievements on Steam yet? The Quake 1 remastered had achievements.

nvm I see them now. Only 13 though :/

8-Player Split screen Demonstration

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I wasn't at work. Would've gotten a pic of the 8-Player Mode by now

I hooked up 8 controllers to test it. It looks like this:

208e7bf4-c469-47e3-93oti40.png

And runs like this:

https://www.xbox.com/play/media/C22W58N6CB

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My sole major complaint with this remaster is that I wish the saved games were kept separate from each other. Quake 2, the original expansions, the new MachineGames expansion, and Quake 2 64 all save to the same list of saved games. With no indication of which one is which - just the level name. Very easy to get them all mixed up.

Vinyl Available

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is the campaign on this pretty good still? I've never played Quake before.

Quake 2 has an incredible campaign, and was very innovative for its time. The levels are all split up into groups known as "units" and you can go freely between the levels within a unit. Each unit has a primary objective and secondary objectives, so it's possible not to play through every level on your first playthrough unless you explore well.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
Played the first two levels. Looks good, plays nice on a controller.

The ludicrous kickback of the machine gun has been all but removed and enemies in death animations now don't have collision. You can now run straight through all the grunt enemies as they lay on the floor before finally dying.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Level design like you don't see much of anymore. Did get lost a couple times on the first level but the compass helps. Only remember a little of the game though.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Quake 1 & 2 were technologically impressive games, but they were also fugly as hell due to the art. Like, they definitely ran circles around the consoles, but the drab looking environments just didn't do it for me. I ended up finding games like Goldeneye and Turok to be better looking. I actually experienced the 2 Quakes games in the early 2000s where 3D accelerators were more common. They were a lot of fun.

Did they fix the weird model wrapping problem with Q2? There was this strange thing where the models in Q2 wrapped and twist.
Yeah, this one uses skeletal animation on the new models vs the original which was low-precision vertex animated which is what caused the warping models.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Soundtrack is getting a vinyl release. Long story short, Sascha Dikiciyan, AKA Sonic Mayhem, wont's see any money from this. He knew this early on and remained an active participate in making this a reality. I spoke with him on Twitter, and he said that the best way to support him financially was to check out his Bandcamp releases. It's the least we can do.
https://sonicmayhem.bandcamp.com/album/doomsday

View: https://twitter.com/sonicmayhem/status/1689688600362037249?s=20

Thank you for pulling together this info. Just grabbed the digital + CD copy of Doomsday.

overthewaves

Sep 30, 2020
Quake 2 has an incredible campaign, and was very innovative for its time. The levels are all split up into groups known as "units" and you can go freely between the levels within a unit. Each unit has a primary objective and secondary objectives, so it's possible not to play through every level on your first playthrough unless you explore well.
Damn nice lol sounds good to me. I'll grab it on steam then thanks!

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Why doesn't it have 8 player on other consoles? Also sucks to still not have motion on Xbox after so long and see others get it

The different wireless protocols on each platform (and how it's implemented in their OSs) mean different max limit for number of controllers. It's a bummer but makes sense. If I had to guess, Switch could have almost done it (because it can handle more controllers too), but the actual CPU performance might have been too much without hitching.

2 gifts from SoH

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 2 gifts from SoH SoH!

This is a lightning raffle that will expire in 1 hour. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

SoH said:
Been a minute since I've done one of these. Hopefully this works!

These are our awesome prizes:

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed it on Steam and finished the first two levels on my Steam Deck.

It plays great but I did notice a little bit of slowdown towards the end of the second level. It's minor though. The aiming with the pistol was kinda hard on the thumbsticks but the other weapons were fine.

That compass wasn't there before, right? I never remembered that feature being in the original game. I love that inclusion. It makes navigating these maze-like levels a little easier.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
this is an update for the original Q2 on pc, right? i can't find a Quake 2 Remastered on Steam.