• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but feel this an absolute attack on press and the ability for some form of reporting of things in the moment. I've had people claim that the different videos "prove" the kids aren't racist. But this is absolutely a situation of reporting a matter based on a viewing of events.

If this shit goes to actual trial or results in settlements then all sorts of shit is completely fucked up. If they claim free speech over racist remarks I can claim free speech over their Neanderthal behavior

Oct 27, 2017
I'll start by saying that this:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/01/covington-overcorrection/580987/

Is the best article I've read on the entire debacle and I think everyone should read it.

Now, as for my version:

The initial tweet was framed disingenuously in order to create drama. That is factual, the twitter account was banned after it came out they were a fake news account.

The initial reaction was to a few pictures and a short video, my reaction was the same as many "these racists pricks accosted and surrounded a peacefully protesting native american man and racially mocked him".

Then more video came out showing that Nathan Philips actually inserted himself into the group of racist kids in an attempt to stop some imagined confrontation between the racist kids and a group of homophobic bigoted Black Israelites. The mocking by some was racially charged, but some were just dancing along to the chanting which may be disrespectful but not racist, while others were just standing there dumbfounded by the entire situation.

Sandmann himself is likely a racist little privileged prick of a kid... but the incident does not reflect that, nor does the confrontation between him and Nathan Philips represent harassment or racial mocking.

In the end, this "confrontation" is mostly nothing, blow completely out of proportion by a twitter culture that craves drama and by over-correcting celebrities and news organizations.

I read the article. And I saw enough videos and interviews to debunk the article's premise that the coverage was an attempt by media outlets to mend fences with its readers. This incident, and the surrounding harrassment and prior history of the school are important context. A graduate of that school is currently in the White House as the White House General Counsel and Chief Defender of Trump for the Mueller investigation. Your last sentence could not be more wrong.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I read the article. And I saw enough videos and interviews to debunk the article's premise that the coverage was an attempt by media outlets to mend fences with its readers. This incident, and the surrounding harrassment and prior history of the school are important context. A graduate of that school is currently in the White House as the White House General Counsel and Chief Defender of Trump for the Mueller investigation. Your last sentence could not be more wrong.

I don't think I'm explaining my position well enough, I believe given a more completely initial presentation the confrontation wouldn't have blow up like it did, that's what I mean when I say "mostly nothing".

Oct 30, 2017
It's a shame that more often than not, these are not teaching moments. Or better put, a moment to reflect. Instead, it's going to be much easier to hide behind your lawyers, PR firm, and cozy up to the far right so as to be criticism free.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It's the same old "outrage culture" song and dance. It purposefully belittles real issues to put the individual complaining about it appear somehow more "level-headed" or whatever, like they are somehow above emoting over it. It's complete bullshit to say it's mostly nothing, it's been a big flashpoint for a lot of people and framing it that way sucks.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Native Americans are 2% of the population and vulnerable. For those of blessed white privilege to argue against the idea that this mistreatment shouldn't be publicly recognized, doesn't deserve the attention it did and then go on to justify the behavior of the students of the Covington School of racism is extremely offensive.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I do believe that the confrontation was mostly nothing compared to the initial reporting, but the reactions do tell an important story.

To Nathan, it's obviously something much more important.
the only thing that changed from the initial reporting of native elder surrounded by yelling white kids was the inclusion of the Black Isrealites as some kind of catalyst towards the white kids. Sandmann still saw fit to stand in Phillips' way even as all the other people were allowing him to pass. His defiant stare should be considered the real catalyst and source of the confrontation. Instead he's a scared kid who doesn't know why the big man with the drum is playing at him.

that kind of bullshit should have been tossed out immediately.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A friendly reminder that many Native Americans are suffering right now with sky-high rates of sexual abuse, police brutality, incarcerations, unsustainable wages, and unemployment...

... Thank you for your time.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that more often than not, these are not teaching moments. Or better put, a moment to reflect. Instead, it's going to be much easier to hide behind your lawyers, PR firm, and cozy up to the far right so as to be criticism free.

Media dogpiles aren't conducive to learning. It's more or less a social execution, rehabilitation is not part of the plan. Whether or not you think it's justified, you can imagine they are fighting for what they see as survival so of course they'll dig in. It happens every time and it fuels that whole alt-right victim complex.

choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Hahah. Why are people always always trying to do this bullshit. The situation really really isn't that complicated. It's only complicated if you want to stan for racists, make excuses for them or want to tell others how to react. Fuck off with this,.

Do you have any idea what was in the story I linked?
It neither stands for racists, makes excuses or tells others how to react. It's an analysis on what we assume from limited information and how the media uses that.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The ones who didn't actively participate in the racist mocking? Again, there is video.
Someone please think of the ones who stood by and didn't say shit... Those brave helpful souls who, in their lack of conviction or willingness to denounce some racist shit happening a foot away from them, showed the true power by being completely neutral (but, y'know, when it comes to permitting bigotry, there is no 'neutral')

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Media dogpiles aren't conducive to learning. It's more or less a social execution, rehabilitation is not part of the plan. Whether or not you think it's justified, you can imagine they are fighting for what they see as survival so of course they'll dig in. It happens every time and it fuels that whole alt-right victim complex.

They would probably end up just fine if they had issued a sincere apology, or even better worked towards helping improve the lives of minorities and/or other less fortunates. But since they are apparently incapable of neither they are hoping to scare people off or maybe even make a quick buck. I'm not really sure how it will all go down by the time everything is over, but I wish these MAGAts the very worst.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
This is why racist whites don't get called out as often as they could. Hire lawyer, threaten people.

Edit: the media cycle's already long since moved on from Covington, so amusingly this tantrum of theirs is drawing attention back to them being shitheels.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why racist whites don't get called out as often as they could. Hire lawyer, threaten people.

Edit: the media cycle's already long since moved on from Covington, so amusingly this tantrum of theirs is drawing attention back to them being shitheels.
Racist whites don't get called out is because of either three things:

1)the standard of what's racist to your average white person is absurdly and disengenuously high.

2)those whites secretly agree but for appearances take a both sides or "wait for all the facts" and if ANY fact allows them to exonerate said racists they'll take it

3) they want to have cover in case they are the ones on the receiving end of criticism when they inevitably do or say something racist

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Someone please think of the ones who stood by and didn't say shit... Those brave helpful souls who, in their lack of conviction or willingness to denounce some racist shit happening a foot away from them, showed the true power by being completely neutral (but, y'know, when it comes to permitting bigotry, there is no 'neutral')
The ones who stood by and didn't say shit?

Guess it's just not convenient to acknowledge that fact.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You are assuming things that aren't present in any of my posts.
Is that so? Let me refresh your memory:

My claim
I've already said it. Someone quoted you above from your initial, lengthy post. You're trying to make it look like many of them were just innocently existing, when almost all of them were shouting shit at Nathan or standing by while their racist friends jeered at him.

Yet the only time you defend Nathan is when directly asked if you even care about him at all.

It's telling.
Your post
Then more video came out showing that Nathan Philips actually inserted himself into the group of racist kids in an attempt to stop some imagined confrontation between the racist kids and a group of homophobic bigoted Black Israelites. The mocking by some was racially charged, but some were just dancing along to the chanting which may be disrespectful but not racist, while others were just standing there dumbfounded by the entire situation.
Yeah, these poor innocent kids with MAGA friends and just quietly observing while those around them berate and jeer at a native American guy who is banging on a drum in front of them.

You are absolutely defending people who were at the very best allowing racism to occur right in front of their face.

So don't give me this "you are assuming things that aren't present in my posts" shit, it's right there; I literally just laid it out for you.

Your posts are filled with disingenuous bullshit and outright falsehoods.

Here's an idea.. stop defending groups of racist assholes doing racist things and cowards who are complicit to these acts.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
That russian worker who set this whole social media blitz up better be getting a raise because hot damn

It's a PR firm out of Louisville, actually. A distraction during the biggest horror of POTUS' shutdown and going on offense keeps the questions of "who runs this school?", "How does the state and the diocese allow this?", and "Is this REALLY just an Asshole Factory?" from getting traction.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
It's a PR firm out of Louisville, actually. A distraction during the biggest horror of POTUS' shutdown and going on offense keeps the questions of "who runs this school?", "How does the state and the diocese allow this?", and "Is this REALLY just an Asshole Factory?" from getting traction.

hold on, the social media farm who created the 2016 account whose creators 'location' showed up as Brazil was actually American?

lmao thats galaxy brain

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
https://lex18.com/news/covering-ken...exonerates-covington-catholic-high-schoolers/
Article said:
Through the course of the investigation, officials said they saw "no evidence that students responded with any offensive or racist statements of their own."

This is despite an earlier encounter with a group known as the Black Hebrew Israelites, who "clearly addressed offensive statements to the students."

In addition, the investigation states that students performed school chants to drown out the Black Hebrew Israelites group, but claimed there was no evidence that the school performed a "Build the Wall" chant, as many on social media claimed.

When the Native American protester — identified as Nathan Phillips — approached the group, the students claimed they were not threatened, the report states, but merely confused.

Nine chaperones were in attendance at the time of the controversy, the report states, citing video evidence.

Many of the students in the viral videos were seen wearing "Make America Great Again" gear. According to the report, most students purchased the gear while in Washington, and there is no evidence of prohibiting political apparel on school-sponsored trips.

Other videos from Washington, D.C. that day shows young people saying "It's not rape if you enjoy it"

and another showing a group of young men harassing several girls. The report states that the person involved in the first comment was not a Covington Catholic student, and there is no evidence that the people involved in the second video were students.

So were they innocent and a big frame up job by russian trolls (the original tweet was from a russian bot farm) and media running with it, or did the kids get away with being racist privileged kids? They almost certainly will get some $$ from the media as the report makes it very difficult for the media entities they are suing to win.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
https://lex18.com/news/covering-ken...exonerates-covington-catholic-high-schoolers/

So were they innocent and a big frame up job by russian trolls (the original tweet was from a russian bot farm) and media running with it, or did the kids get away with being racist privileged kids? They almost certainly will get some $$ from the media as the report makes it very difficult for the media entities they are suing to win.
Oh? And what about the MAGA kid who said that their land was rightfully stolen because "that's the way of the world"? Was he just some random kid who just so happened to be in the group of HS kids, but was totally not associated with them too?

Was that shit even in the report? What about the kids tomahawking at Nathan? You can only be racist verbally now? And the chaperone who said "all I can say is Santa Clause is white" before walking off and high fiving someone?

What a fucking joke.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Here is the report, it's only four pages long.. just finished reading it.

As I stated earlier, this is a shady ass report that fails to address basic things I was able to discover just by watching videos linked to me that I didn't even search for.

1. This report is curiously based around what the students said, and not around their clearly racist acts. It even SAYS THEY DID THE TOMAHAWK CHOP, yet conveniently leaves it out of the findings, as this is clearly racist behavior.

2. A student in a MAGA hat shouts at the native Americans once they start walking away and says their land was rightfully stolen, because that's "just the way of the world". This was never addressed in the report. It's on video.

3. A chaperone, again, on video says to the black Israelites "well Santa Clause was white" and high fives someone while walking away, after the BIs tell him that Jesus is not white. This is blatantly racist and completely absent in the report.

4. The students who said the rape joke supposedly didn't go to the school, yet was surrounded by a ton of HS kids with MAGA hats. The report conveniently leaves out if there was an association with other students from the school. The sexual harassment was inconclusive, yet there were MAGA wearing HS aged students in the video in question.

5. This is an all boys school, is it not? There were girls in the video in MAGA gear as well in the large group of students, so it's very clear that they met up with either people they knew or decided to associate themselves with.

Basically these findings left out huge chunks and only summarized the students' racism in what they specifically said to Nathan and the BIs, and didn't examine their racist acts (that were literally stated but not examined in the report itself), while failing to even recognize that other racist things were said in other interactions while the native Americans were walking away and during conversations with BIs.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

i for one have great faith in the investigative honesty of the diocese that had to pay out $120 million in sexual abuse settlements while not allowing public disclosure of internal documents about said abuse

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
getting an "uninvolved third party" to "investigate" so they can move this thing along and say they found everything in order is no new tactic and shouldn't have any actual effect beyond the superficial "these boys did nothing wrong" sort of cover they can refer to in the future.

on the assumption that we can take the word of the diocese and the school. After the kids announced intentions to sue the world, and the school standing there looking worse and worse, and reflecting on the diocese.
The only thing I believe is that the diocese cares about its reputation.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wearing the MAGA gear alone is enough, besides everything else they clearly did in the videos. We're witnessing what money and privilege can achieve in spinning away consequences for atrocious behaviour; while it's obscene, it's damn effective, unfortunately.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Esquire will feature them on next month's cover? Tell the struggle they must endure and how oppressed they have been.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Finally watched the video... Is there a particular reason so many of those boys had MAGA hats and shirts? Do people actually dress up like that normally or was there any event going on?

My God, the video is clear at showing the "kids" mocking and harassing those few guys and the indigenous one. What a time to be alive.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Finally watched the video... Is there a particular reason so many of those boys had MAGA hats and shirts? Do people actually dress up like that normally or was there any event going on?

My God, the video is clear at showing the "kids" mocking and harassing those few guys and the indigenous one. What a time to be alive.
The findings say that the students bought MAGA gear in DC for the March for Life rally. It also claims they wore Obama gear the last time they went to DC lmao. Receipts.