• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Lupe is a killer. He knows how to cut deep on a diss track. Love me some Royce but he did him dirty with Steve jobs lol.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I think the why is the business of reaching that level and staying at the top for so long. You gotta feed the machine behind you on some popstar level stuff.

I dunno, I feel like those same songs with better, Drake quality, verses would still have the "popstar" appeal… just with better verses

Hell that's pretty much how Drake blew up in the first place- even on bubblegum songs he was putting his pen to work. Now he got Yachty writing for him… it's wild.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
I dunno, I feel like those same songs with better, Drake quality, verses would still have the "popstar" appeal… just with better verses
Yea, but if Drake has to write all that poppy stuff, then they would probably be fewer songs. That's on top of the touring and other stuff he doing that takes away his time.

Hell that's pretty much how Drake blew up in the first place- even on bubblegum songs he was putting his pen to work. Now he got Yachty writing for him… it's wild.
I mean Yachty makes hits. He was the main pen behind most of City Girl's stuff iirc. Then another part of that is being outta touch. Drake almost 40. Hard to write songs that would connect to a younger audience that he trying to stay connected to.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I mean Yachty makes hits. He was the main pen behind most of City Girl's stuff iirc. Then another part of that is being outta touch. Drake almost 40. Hard to write songs that would connect to a younger audience that he trying to stay connected to.

Yup. Yachty is a student of the game. We forget he had a 'real hip hop' mixtape years back, dabbled in a Tame Impala wanna be project, and just came out with an old school looking crew project.

We may not like his execution in regards to lyrics and flow (lol), but dude knows what he's doing. His 'A Safe Place' podcast had a steady stream of real MC's also including J Cole, Schoolboy Q etc and he talks musical nitty gritty stuff there too. Id recommend a listen

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Yup. Yachty is a student of the game. We forget he had a 'real hip hop' mixtape years back, dabbled in a Tame Impala wanna be project, and just came out with an old school looking crew project.

We may not like his execution in regards to lyrics and flow (lol), but dude knows what he's doing. His 'A Safe Place' podcast had a steady stream of real MC's also including J Cole, Schoolboy Q etc and he talks musical nitty gritty stuff there too. Id recommend a listen

Yachty seemed like he was down and out for awhile, now he's got nothing but W's. Respect.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Kendrick taking the Meg route and not responding feels like The Way even if it doesn't feed the beef hungry. He said what he had to say.
I don't think "there's no Big 3, there's just big me" is the mentality of someone who's unwilling to engage in beef.
Kendrick's the one who popped off in response to a song where J. Cole (and by extension, Drake) called him one of the best in the industry.

Not responding to Drake's [unreleased] response is weird.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, but if Drake has to write all that poppy stuff, then they would probably be fewer songs. That's on top of the touring and other stuff he doing that takes away his time.

The Yachty and City Girl's songs aren't hits because of the pen game though. And younger audiences still like the shit that Drake actually writes too. I guess having lil Yachty write throwaway songs saves time, but shit like

Booted up, that shit hit up and downs like a skate-ramp
She vapin' in my room, that shit lit up like a glow-lamp
Who want smoke? Okay, cool, it's they whole camp
Big shit popper, we the ones that get your shirt damp
Niggas try to take a nigga spot and now it's too cramped
Up, 8AM, geekin' hard, I'm a real vamp
These niggas got me fucked up, dawg, I'm too amped
Hmm-hmm, make this bitch lick me like a mail stamp"

Can't be time consuming. This a highschool lunch table freestyle.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Yea I don't understand the Lupe adoration. Maybe he's not my thing but I remember liking kick push I guess? All his other songs were super wack to me
Lupe is great. I couldn't understand not appreciating Ooh, Mural, Go To Sleep, Gotta Eat, The Instrumental, or Deliver.

I'd definitely suggest listening to more than singles from him as he's never been a great, or even good, commercial artist. Lyricism, concepts, and story-telling is what he's about.

I honestly can't believe how much people are downplaying how good Lupe is.

Edit: "Professionally accept what ethically I hate/
So in all of my work you see me wrestling with fate" is still one of my favorite bars a rapper has spit.

Last edited:

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Make a song called Stranger Danger Things, sample the Stranger Things song, make it about all the creepy shit Drake has done with really young and under-aged women.

Writes itself.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Posting this mostly because I remembered things totally differently and got confused.
For the "pulitzer means kendrick doesnt have to respond crowd" - Kendrick named Lupe in the control verse, Lupe responded. He didnt have a pulitzer then, so why was Kendrick scared to respond at that time?
Kendrick didn't name Lupe in Control. Lupe's contention was being left out and because he felt the verse was "actually wack." He suggested he wasn't taking it seriously when he dropped his own tracks and just wanted to flex. Of course in the years since he's gotten really hung up on it, saying it was a mistake and then taking it back and so on.

Last edited:

darz1

Dec 18, 2017

The Yachty and City Girl's songs aren't hits because of the pen game though. And younger audiences still like the shit that Drake actually writes too. I guess having lil Yachty write throwaway songs saves time, but shit like
But you are going by the assumption Drake using ghostwriters is just a recent thing. It's been well documented he has used different ghostwriters for different songs over the course of his career from pretty early on. It's not just Yachty, he's just the most recent.

You are saying he was putting his pen to work, but even back then he was using other people's pen. You might like his old ghostwriters better than his current. But he has an established pattern of using ghostwriters. We don't know if he has ever even written anything at this point.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Kendrick need to release the damn tape. I'm over here listening to Monster Freestyle and Control and I'm starting to wonder if he's just better and more confident popping shit and being provocative than he is at actually making targeted diss records

But you are going by the assumption Drake using ghostwriters is just a recent thing. It's been well documented he has used different ghostwriters for different songs over the course of his career from pretty early on. It's not just Yachty, he's just the most recent.

You are saying he was putting his pen to work, but even back then he was using other people's pen. You might like his old ghostwriters better than his current. But he has an established pattern of using ghostwriters. We don't know if he has ever even written anything at this point.

We're not talking about ghost written songs though … we're talking about songs where these artists are actually given writer credit. His opponents are framing it as ghostwriting- because they know many people won't know the difference.

Is it possible he always had ghostwriters? Sure, but it's not likely. Why would the quality of ghostwriting go down as his spending power increases? And why would he just have fantastic ghostwriters right out of the gate?

Last edited:

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Kendrick need to release the damn tape. I'm over hear listening to Monster Freestyle and Control and I'm starting to wonder if he's just better and more confident popping shit and being provocative than he is at actually making targeted diss records

Or ya'll just impatient,

relax and keep listening to other shit in the meantime too much music out there.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
People are making AI reference tracks now, looks like the Cash Cobain leaked reference for Drake is AI lol

Wing84

Nov 21, 2022
It's crazy to think how much people in the industry and hip-hop fanbase hate Drake. Still, Drake got the casual hip-hop fans, club girls, kids and zesty dudes lol.

People are making AI reference tracks now, looks like the Cash Cobain leaked reference for Drake is AI lol
I think at this point, social media platforms like Twitter and YouTube should label all AI content the way Twitter's community notes label misinformation.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Or ya'll just impatient,

relax and keep listening to other shit in the meantime too much music out there.

Impatient? It been brewing for over a decade and Kendrick been sitting on info for 4 years lol

In the meantime, yeah we all listen to other shit, but nothing wrong with being excited about the sport

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Kendrick need to release the damn tape. I'm over here listening to Monster Freestyle and Control and I'm starting to wonder if he's just better and more confident popping shit and being provocative than he is at actually making targeted diss records

We're not talking about ghost written songs though … we're talking about songs where these artists are actually given writer credit. His opponents are framing it as ghostwriting- because they know many people won't know the difference.

Is it possible he always had ghostwriters? Sure, but it's not likely. Why would the quality of ghostwriting go down as his spending power increases? And why would he just have fantastic ghostwriters right out of the gate?
Writing credits could be for a line or a hook. Drake had verses written for him, in hip-hop that's considered ghostwritten whether it's credited or uncredited.

You ask why the quality of ghostwriting would go down as his spending power increased. There's a number of factors.

Creativity isn't based on money, you can pay someone more but it doesn't mean that will be more creative or skilled. Finding good artist that are willing to give you their creative works isn't as easy as just paying someone more. Losing both Quentin Miller and The Weeknd definitely impacted Drake's sound, and those are just two that we know wrote for Drake (yes I'm aware Weeknd didn't write his raps but there is a pattern of him taking from other artists), there are definitely more. OVO was known to have writers tents.

Also he is trying to maintain his popularity with the youth so he would be seeking people who are already tapped in. Yachty definitely has his finger on the pulse in that regard. The writing/writers has changed because the sound that is popular has changed.

It's absolutely possible he had writers from the start. He was already fairly wealthy when he started rapping. He already had fame from Degrassi. Paying someone to write his rhymes would have been completely feasible right from the jump. He wouldn't be the first famous person to start rapping to use ghost writers. Kobe Bryant did the same thing. Drake just made a career out of it.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Writing credits could be for a line or a hook. Drake had verses written for him, in hip-hop that's considered ghostwritten whether it's credited or uncredited.

You ask why the quality of ghostwriting would go down as his spending power increased. There's a number of factors.

Creativity isn't based on money, you can pay someone more but it doesn't mean that will be more creative or skilled. Finding good artist that are willing to give you their creative works isn't as easy as just paying someone more. Losing both Quentin Miller and The Weeknd definitely impacted Drake's sound, and those are just two that we know wrote for Drake (yes I'm aware Weeknd didn't write his raps but there is a pattern of him taking from other artists), there are definitely more. OVO was known to have writers tents.

Also he is trying to maintain his popularity with the youth so he would be seeking people who are already tapped in. Yachty definitely has his finger on the pulse in that regard. The writing/writers has changed because the sound that is popular has changed.

It's absolutely possible he had writers from the start. He was already fairly wealthy when he started rapping. He already had fame from Degrassi. Paying someone to write his rhymes would have been completely feasible right from the jump. He wouldn't be the first famous person to start rapping to use ghost writers. Kobe Bryant did the same thing. Drake just made a career out of it.

There are plenty of known artists who ghostwrite who are better writers than someone like Yachty. Having more money, means you can afford better talent. I'm not surprised he's buying the sound to stay relevant, I'm surprised he's keeping the lyrics verbatim- that's what's most lame about it.

As far as writing credits vs ghostwriting- If an artist isn't taking credit for something they didnt do, no damage is going to come from the allegation. My point is, the "revelation" that Yachty wrote a song, that he's credited for writing , and is objectively unimpressive lyrically, is harmless. Until they can attach someone else to Drake's better verses, he gonna skate through the allegations.

Wasn't nobody selling their best work to Kobe , and it's unlikely they would do that for some Canadian cornball from Nickelodeon either. Drake made a name for himself with his own pen, and has even written bangers for other people.

Last edited:

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
There are plenty of known artists who ghostwrite who are better writers than someone like Yachty. Having more money, means you can afford better talent.

As far as writing credits vs ghostwriting- If an artist isn't taking credit for something they didnt do, no damage is going to come from the allegation. My point is, the "revelation" that Yachty wrote a song, that he's credited for writing , and is objectively unimpressive lyrically, is harm. Until they can attach someone else to Drake's better verses, he gonna skate through the allegations.

Wasn't nobody selling their best work to Kobe , and it's unlikely they would do that for some Canadian cornball from Nickelodeon either. Drake made a name for himself with his own pen, and has even written bangers for other people.
You mean someone like Quentin Miller? Yachty isn't the first person who has been linked as a writer for Drake.

Obviously he can't tap Jay or Lupe or Skillz or Cyhi at this point in his career. Yachty is actually a good choice for the current climate, whether you like him or not.

Drake has not been honest about what he wrote and what he didn't, so at this point everything is in question. Maybe he wrote some things, maybe he wrote nothing. His artistic integrity is definitely in question.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the way. he been sending shots at drake for years. No use going into hiding again. Just proves what J Cole said about hims dissing for attention right.
He also didnt say anything(Some nameflips for the album/songs and the prince line) other than to try and bait Drake to respond.

I heavily doubt kendrick will not respond. Ppl affiliated with him/TDE been posting about hearing the record. He just waiting for w/e reason.

Meg didn't respond because Nicki ended it herself by releasing such a weak track. I like Kendrick more as an artist but Drake's diss is rock solid, he wins by default if it ends here

I don't think "there's no Big 3, there's just big me" is the mentality of someone who's unwilling to engage in beef.
Kendrick's the one who popped off in response to a song where J. Cole (and by extension, Drake) called him one of the best in the industry.

Not responding to Drake's [unreleased] response is weird.
I just can't get past the part that Drake hasn't even released the track.

Oct 25, 2017
The Quentin miller ref tracks were a lot more damning at the time but most people didn't care then so none of the ghost writing allegations are gong to hold weight now.

Gorillaz

Oct 25, 2017
The only good A.I. submission we've seen so far was the old school BBL drizzy

OVO boys trying to push that kendrick ai like it was real was definition of nasty

I just can't get past the part that Drake hasn't even released the track.
Duppy freestyle wasn't ever put on Spotify legally either. I can however see him pulling a Ross and stepping on Kendrick's response like 2 hours later with a legit release of a direct response.

eDIGI

Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The only good A.I. submission we've seen so far was the old school BBL drizzy

OVO boys trying to push that kendrick ai like it was real was definition of nasty

Duppy freestyle wasn't ever put on Spotify legally either. I can however see him pulling a Ross and stepping on Kendrick's response like 2 hours later with a legit release of a direct response.

I honestly wonder if this is why Kendrick is waiting a bit because he knows Drake has another one in the tuck ready to drop

Gorillaz

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wonder if this is why Kendrick is waiting a bit because he knows Drake has another one in the tuck ready to drop
Maybe, I have a feeling Drake's response will be about Kendrick looking like an obsessed weirdo lmao. He's baiting it especially with the lines at the end of Push Up where he said release the old diss from 4 years back.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
Yea, Im sure the writing credits is the reason drake isnt releasing it to streaming. Yall hilarious and must not know what "ghost writing" is. If it's a true ghost writer, they wouldnt be in the writing credits to begin with.
If anything he may be having trouble getting it cleared. He dissed Diddy in the first version and the beat samples what's beef. Dumb move by Drake if Puff or anyone connected to him, has to clear it.

Last edited:

a916

Oct 25, 2017
This bars been out for a while but Kendrick dropping it would've been more of a bomb "he a 10 but he likes his girls 11, that's a strange ting"

And the Michael/Prince thing I wonder if he just volleys it back with Michael's interest in younger kids and Drake's underage rumors.

Last edited:

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Kendrick bringing up Drake and young women, with a video attached to it, with a dope beat and flow would be disgusting. There's not enough money and accolades talk to beat that. Let alone the MJ connections, like let's be honest. Whether it's Control or Family Ties or Like That, Kendrick raps well on a dope beat while dropping some tough bars and people feel it. He's never really had to go super personal on someone yet. You add that in and it's nasty.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
nah, dropping it the day taylor swift drops an album probably is what drake would want

y'all need to be patient lol, feel like this "on the clock" was never a thing until drake used it as ammunition, it took nas months to drop ether

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I went back and listened to Control after reading the posts in this thread. That shit is still flames. Kendrick's got a high bar to meet, but he put it there himself. Better cook.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
It took Cole 2 weeks to respond to Like That.
It took Drake 1 month to respond to Like That.
It took Ross less than a day to respond to Drake's diss.

This "Kendrick is on the clock" stuff is stupid. Don't look at Ross for how long people need to take when the others took weeks to respond. It's only been 4 days.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
It took Cole 2 weeks to respond to Like That.
It took Drake 1 month to respond to Like That.
It took Ross less than a day to respond to Drake's diss.

This "Kendrick is on the clock" stuff is stupid. Don't look at Ross for how long people need to take when the others took weeks to respond. It's only been 4 days.
Drake didnt wait a month to respond to like that. He had to wait a month because the we hate drake brigade had another project dropping that was also marketed on dissing Drake. So yea it makes sense to postpone the diss song to make sure you respond to most of the ppl.