• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Activision looked at the features Steamworks provided at no cost and decided to forgo ability to ever sell the game in a way that did no require Steam. That's literally what happened.

Yes, Steamworks is the only reason Activision decided to put CoD on Steam. It surely had nothing to do with the fact that Steam was (and still is) by far the largest and most popular distribution platform on PC.

The only reason they recently dropped Steam is because they, like every other big publisher, now want a 100% cut of each sale. It took Activision a while to realize that they could just put their games on Battle.net but once they did, that's all she wrote.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Plus, contrary to vocal fanboys opinions, I don't see how this hurts PC gaming at all at this point of time. On the flip side Steam can't play God anymore and we're getting free shit and some obviously good deals in the future.
This is such a weird conversation.
You are going to be playing the game on the same platform, literally the same piece of hardware

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidGal..._Its_Current_State_is_Not_Good_for_Anyone.php

Read this, it's from a developer.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
Using the fanboy term is just you making it easy to dismiss opinions without putting in an effort, please stop doing that.
Being called over dramatic irks me considering my "over dramatic" post was in jest. I use fanboy because there are many fanboy posts. Trying to pin me for my choice of nouns is over reaching.

Thank you for confirming that you don't understand who the consumer is in this whole thing.
Unless the definition of consumer changed over the las couple of days, I am very sure the consumer is the final end user.

Definition of consumer

: one that consumes: such as

a : one that utilizes economic goods Many consumers make purchases on the Internet.

b : an organism requiring complex organic compounds for food which it obtains by preying on other organisms or by eating particles of organic matter

I really hope you are not defining the indie developer as a consumer.

Read it. I do not disagree, I've mentioned some of the writer's points before.

It does open pandora's box for Indie developers but once again, unless Epic is going around blackmailing developers onto exclusivity deals, nothing that is happening is anti consumer or bad for the consumer.

Anti consumer and dividing an open platform is for example creating a closeted ecosystem that takes away features of an open ecosystem aka Windows Store and UWP. Epic store is just another supermart opening across the street from your favourite supermart.

Featuresets can and will improve though I do agree that Epic should have came out guns blazing instead of pew pew pew.

At the end of the day it's the devs who decide how this plays out. We consumers will only reap more benefits than otherwise.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
nothing that is happening is anti consumer or bad for the consumer.
Paying for titles that were announced on a platform to then not be released on it is directly bad for me as a consumer because I am forced to use a lesser service instead of having a choice of which one to pick. If you disagree you have never been more wrong in your life.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Being called over dramatic irks me considering my "over dramatic" post was in jest. I use fanboy because there are many fanboy posts. Trying to pin me for my choice of nouns is over reaching.

Disagree that it is. Using the fanboy term to generalize in a thread lowers the bar way too much. Don't use it, if you don't want it commented.

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
Disagree that it is. Using the fanboy term to generalize in a thread lowers the bar way too much. Don't use it, if you don't want it commented.
Okay buddy, you're right. I sure don't want to hurt any more of your feelings.

How about you stop pretending to be some protector of forum justice and keep the debate on point if you don't want this to keep up.

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
Paying for titles that were announced on a platform to then not be released on it is directly bad for me as a consumer because I am forced to use a lesser service instead of having a choice of which one to pick. If you disagree you have never been more wrong in your life.
Funny how preferences and opinions work huh. You're a consumer and you feel affected, I'm a consumer and I don't feel affected. There are devs that like what Epic offers and there are devs who don't. Opinions....man what a doozy.

How bout you try tipping the scales towards your opinion that it's anti consumer by showing me that what is happening is anti consumer in a legal perspective then, because I am very sure no laws are being broken by Epic here.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Okay buddy, you're right. I sure don't want to hurt any more of your feelings.

How about you stop pretending to be some protector of forum justice and keep the debate on point if you don't want this to keep up.

Not at all an expected answer. #feelings

You're prepared to do your part as well then?

Last edited:

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
I'm not happy about this. Yet another store with some exclusivity will be the same as streaming. You got your Netflix, Prime, Hulu, HBOGo, whatever Disney is making, whatever CBS has, whatever WarnerBros is making and so on and on.

Hope someone makes an app to unify all of these stores.

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
They don't need to break any laws to demonstrate anticonsumer behavior.
Unless they break laws, both sides of this conversation are just grasping at straws about whether Epic is being anti-consumer or not.

There are 2 sides here. Those screaming anti consumer because opinions and those screaming otherwise because opinions. For example you and me.

When there's a split on opinions then who gets to decide if not the law? If you want to believe your opinions are right then all the best to you good sir.

Edit: Grammar and context

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Unless they break laws, both sides of this conversation are just grasping at straws about whether Epic is being anti-consumer or not.

I mean, no. That isn't how it works at all. A court of law is there to decide whether or not an act was illegal. A company's business practices may not be illegal but they might very well be unethical, anticonsumer, irresponsible and a variety of other adjectives except illegal. Customers are free to criticize a company's policies without filing a lawsuit. That's how life actually works.

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
I mean, no. That isn't how it works at all. A court of law is there to decide whether or not an act was illegal. A company's business practices may not be illegal but they might very well be unethical, anticonsumer, irresponsible and a variety of other adjectives except illegal. Customers are free to criticize a company's policies without filing a lawsuit. That's how life actually works.
I didn't know the law worked any other way. The point of contention here is that you insist that what Epic is doing is anticonsumer and I am insisting it's not.

So the point of our debate here is do 2 differing opinions make what Epic is doing anticonsumer by definition?

If the differing opinions cannot come to a consensus, guess what buddy, that's when legal definitions come into play.

Look I am not saying you are wrong and I am right but if you want to prove your point than how bout you roll some dice instead of shaking off rhetoric everyone knows?

Edit: spelling and grammar

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
I had to do some googling to check some of the store timeline, so Uplay was released July 2012 ( and June 2011 for Origin ) .

Since, the stagnating Valve introduced :
Aug 2012 - Steam Greenlight
Dec 2012 - Steam Market
Sept 2012 - Steam Big Picture
May 2013 - Steam Trading cards
Sept 2013 - Steam Family Sharing introduced
Nov 2013 - User review system
May 2014 - Steam Home Streaming
Sep 2014 - Discovery Update introducing the Curator system
Jan(?) 2017 - Steam Input
Jun 2017 - Steam Direct
Aug(?) 2017 - OpenVR
Mai 2018 - Steam Link for Android
Aug 2018 - Proton

I didn't take time to add some smaller stuff like the second Discovery update giving users more control over what titles they want to see or ignore within the Steam Store, the updated review system, the refund policy ( europe(?) didn't give them much choice ), smaller-ish update to SteamVR ( steam home and the like ), on the friend list, etc.. might have forgotten some things thought ( or valve did nothing but swim in their pool of money during 2015-2016, which is a possibility ).

In comparison, I'd like someone to list what Origin and Uplay did other than release their own exclusive titles to their store. I'll be honest I use them so little I wouldn't even know where to start.
I hope they kill the Steam(microtransaction)market. They are the ones that pushed microtransactions to everyone. They probably earned more from dota2 and csgo than from game sales.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they kill the Steam(microtransaction)market. They are the ones that pushed microtransactions to everyone. They probably earned more from dota2 and csgo than from game sales.

I hope they don't, it's a great way of getting side cash from cards and the like, and can pay for games over time. It's also an extra source of money for developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.