• Not sure.

Votes: 257 20.8%

• Total voters

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wut.

Also, we really shouldn't be making proclamations about the boot speed based on this leaked video. Wait until we get an official reveal. OS updates/optimizations could have brought down the cold boot time by now.
The fact that it's October and it still hasn't been officially revealed is a joke. We shouldn't even be having this conversation.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
At first I thought it might be genuine, but there's weird artifacting on the video around where the blue lights are. It's as if someone has layered the lights on a 3D printed controller.

dP9fthJ.png

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's no secret that select employees and partners have had beta units (not devkits) for a while, so this falls within the realm of possibility. I'm gonna poke around :)

blalala

Oct 27, 2017
Why would someone go through all the trouble 3d printing a controller and creating a boot up screen? It's more likely that it's the boot up of a devkit

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah you need to be able to read the seizure warning, it can't just zoom past in hyperspeed.

This boot sequence absolutely does not reflect on the system performance so I'm flabbergasted how many people are concerned.

We are 6 weeks out from next gen consoles launching..... that's when the "genuine concerns" pop up.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
You're thinking of Windows 10 coming back up from the rest mode, not a full cold boot.
I've made that mistake before. Try restarting your PC instead of shutting it down and booting it up again.

No I'm really not, rest mode is like 6 seconds on mine.

A cold boot just clocked at 11.84 seconds.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fake, it's a mockup video base on what was already shown. If this legit surely they made past the section that was already shown.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
I honestly don't know anyone that doesn't put their PS4 or XOne on standby, which makes boot times like 10 seconds tops.

Yeah, likewise. I'm just looking forward to both consoles coming out. I imagine a few weeks after launch we won't hear a single complaint/discussion about cold boot times. Due to lack of new info people getting worked up over nothing.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if it is real, but it is different from what was officially shown:

It could be the system software that was loaded onto the first units when they started manufacturing - i.e. not the day one update. The day one update will continue to have been worked on through the summer and is probably still in development.

Or it could be dev or test mode system software which wouldn't be user-facing.

In terms of the 'boot time' - it could be a cold boot, or a boot from one of two standby modes PS5 will have. PS5 will have a second standby option that uses less power (and is probably slower to resume from).

Between all those variables it's very hard to say what this represents exactly. I'm pretty sure we'll see the day one consumer experience before launch, hopefully independent outlets will have it and be able to properly demonstrate it.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I think it actually loads in about 9-10 seconds when we can see the PS logo. After than they legally need to display the disclaimer. Sony had trouble in the past when they tried to remove that disclaimer.

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
The controller icon in the UI is not the dual sense, it's the dual shock.
Fake, or at best an early test unit not representative of final.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's fake, it's a mockup video base on what was already shown. If this legit surely they made past the section that was already shown.

Just think about the lengths they would have had to go through to fake this. We're talking 3D printing of the dualsense, the stand, the actual console, the removable plate. Making a seamless transition from the particles used at the FoG into their own. Putting the lights on the controller in post and doing a perfect tracking.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
People have gone as far as 3D printing for fakes. Remember the that oval shaped NX controller.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
you can hold the xbox button to bring up those options and power it down
Are you telling me that you can hold the Xbox button to bring up a menu which let's you choose between shutdown or suspend mode?

I have an Xbox One and a PS4. I know you can't do that on the Xbox. With the Xbox there's only one option and that depends what you have chosen in the system settings. It's either full shutdown or suspend mode. With the PS4, both options are always there.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just think about the lengths they would have had to go through to fake this. We're talking 3D printing of the dualsense, the stand, the actual console, the removable plate. Making a seamless transition from the particles used at the FoG into their own. Putting the lights on the controller in post and doing a perfect tracking.
I mean, given how the person is gaining money, it might have been worth it. Just playing the long con, having their little project on a weekend teasing Reddit.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a lot of impressive fakes that was done and how much people gone through to make them. Also base on the reddit it seems OP paid for the video? It could true but why not show the UI after the user select, the part that we actually need to see for the first time.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Is there any reason why the PS5 couldn't instantly boot up from rest mode? "Slow" cold booting is fine considering by design, you're not supposed to turn it on and off constantly.

Only asking because of the Switch and how it's been designed to turn off and on like a mobile phone

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You say that I've seen a lot of impressive fakes that was done and how much people gone through to make them. Also base on the reddit it seems OP paid for the video? It could true but why not show the UI after the user select, the part that we actually need to see for the first time.

IIRC we haven't seen the user select before either. It'd be very easy for anyone to confirm or deny based on that alone.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
IIRC we haven't seen the user select before either. It'd be very easy for anyone to confirm or deny based on that alone.
It can be legit dev kit ui. He didn't click on the user cause after that we would notice its dev kit ui which is usually 60% same as user ui but with some major differences on home menu

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any reason why the PS5 couldn't instantly boot up from rest mode? Cold booting is fine considering by design, you're not supposed to turn it on and off constantly.

Only asking because of the Switch and how it's been designed to turn off and on like a mobile phone
PS4 can go to Suspend mode by default when pressing power button.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
So we belive that the black DualSense is real? Makes no sense. People pre-ordered already, if black version exist, I would be pissed cause I prefer black.