• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I barely watched any Pre Rec but I couldn't help but love this clip of Rich and his Charmeleon vs Misty.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I didn't watch pre rec when it was just rich and Jack as I feel they are fairly boring hosts compared to other twitch steamers, the episodes where Jay came by do stand out as amazing content and as we've said time and time again that's the biggest crime of pre rec ending.
I'm glad they're staying away from other YouTubers.
But they're not though. They haven't had youtube guests on RLM but Jay and Jack at the very least have been on other youtube channels as guests. Hell Jack has his own YouTube and Funny or Die content. They aren't in a bubble, they simply haven't brought a youtuber to be a guest on RLM yet and it seems like it'd more good than harm to cross the streams because that tends to bring in potential new audiences for both channels.

The worst thing that happens is that the YouTube guest isn't particularly great chemistry wise with the gang. But they can't be more awkward than Len with his tired face and awkward humor, or Jim early on when he'd just awkwardly play along with the gags of others but mostly was quiet and camera shy. Or heaven forbid Max Landis who was trying to so hard to be liked by people he loved he gave us that classic gif of trying to high five Jay and Jay feeling obligated to do so.

They've had guests who weren't particularly great before, so why not try a youtuber. All they need is a love of watching bad movies and being able to discuss it in a roundtable later.

I genuinely think that if Arin and/or Dan from Game Grumps showed up it wouldn't be the best episode but it wouldn't necessarily be the best worst either. They do plenty of risky humor in their game grumps streams as their channel at this 9point is primarily targeted at like a 20 something audience.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I can't think of a single good reason to do a crossover with any other youtube show/personality. The guys are hermits up in Wisconsin with weirdo real-life friends who visit sometimes and they are obviously very comfortable with, and it should stay that way. Watching someone like Egorapter or YMS spazz out in a BotW sounds worse than Max Landis. And imagine the shitstorm they'd have endured if someone like Jontron or Matt Matei had been a guest a few years ago. The guys should stay in their bubble because its comfortable, and I don't like change.

"Youtubers are pricks" - Rich Evans

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I didn't watch pre rec when it was just rich and Jack as I feel they are fairly boring hosts compared to other twitch steamers, the episodes where Jay came by do stand out as amazing content and as we've said time and time again that's the biggest crime of pre rec ending.

But they're not though. They haven't had youtube guests on RLM but Jay and Jack at the very least have been on other youtube channels as guests. Hell Jack has his own YouTube and Funny or Die content. They aren't in a bubble, they simply haven't brought a youtuber to be a guest on RLM yet and it seems like it'd more good than harm to cross the streams because that tends to bring in potential new audiences for both channels.

The worst thing that happens is that the YouTube guest isn't particularly great chemistry wise with the gang. But they can't be more awkward than Len with his tired face and awkward humor, or Jim early on when he'd just awkwardly play along with the gags of others but mostly was quiet and camera shy. Or heaven forbid Max Landis who was trying to so hard to be liked by people he loved he gave us that classic gif of trying to high five Jay and Jay feeling obligated to do so.

They've had guests who weren't particularly great before, so why not try a youtuber. All they need is a love of watching bad movies and being able to discuss it in a roundtable later.

I genuinely think that if Arin and/or Dan from Game Grumps showed up it wouldn't be the best episode but it wouldn't necessarily be the best worst either. They do plenty of risky humor in their game grumps streams as their channel at this 9point is primarily targeted at like a 20 something audience.
Sorry, that's what I meant with my comment, not that they haven't done stuff on other shows. I just find most YouTubers to be annoying, though you're right that it would increase their viewers and such.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching someone like Egorapter or YMS spazz out in a BotW sounds worse than Max Landis.
man YMS would be a shitshow. dude cribbed his whole steez off the Plinkett reviews, and he's a... weird dude to boot. those beastiality tangents... yeesh

keep other youtubers away, get tim hiedecker back
hell yeah. how are we to know how the in absentia owner of LFVCRR is faring lately? give us closure you hacks

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
did I miss something?

I've never heard of him before so I looked him up.

According to Wikipedia:

"In August 2012, he guest starred in Dinosaur Jr.'s music video "Watch the Corners." In the same year, Heidecker made a cameo appearance on the independent movie reviewing site, Red Letter Media. Heidecker appeared in an episode of the RedLetterMedia series, "Half in The Bag." The episode is titled, "Season Finale: Step Up Revolution." Within the short sketch comedy, Heidecker plays a VCR repair man named "Tim". Shortly after his introduction into the scene, he flies through the ceiling and makes his exit from the skit."

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've never heard of him before so I looked him up.

According to Wikipedia:

"In August 2012, he guest starred in Dinosaur Jr.'s music video "Watch the Corners." In the same year, Heidecker made a cameo appearance on the independent movie reviewing site, Red Letter Media. Heidecker appeared in an episode of the RedLetterMedia series, "Half in The Bag." The episode is titled, "Season Finale: Step Up Revolution." Within the short sketch comedy, Heidecker plays a VCR repair man named "Tim". Shortly after his introduction into the scene, he flies through the ceiling and makes his exit from the skit."
damn, i didn't watch all of those, gonna have to watch it.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
damn, i didn't watch all of those, gonna have to watch it.
If it helps its definitely early on in half in the bag. If you look at a play list you could probably ctrl+f Tim since I'm sure they put him in the title.

But his guest piece was more of a cameo than any other guest they've had. He appears for the opening skit and then leaves to his home planet.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If it helps its definitely early on in half in the bag. If you look at a play list you could probably ctrl+f Tim since I'm sure they put him in the title.

But his guest piece was more of a cameo than any other guest they've had. He appears for the opening skit and then leaves to his home planet.
Still would love to see it, Tim and Eric was one of my favorite shows.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Going through hitb I've now found that Sexy Jay starts appearing mid 50s episode. As in, yeah he's losing weight noticeably throughout the 50s, but then there's a point he has the full beard in his ultimate form save for the hair

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
Mike and Rich are going to do voice roll for the guy who also did that cartoon "Too Loud."

Christmas or Cats continues!

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of a single good reason to do a crossover with any other youtube show/personality. The guys are hermits up in Wisconsin with weirdo real-life friends who visit sometimes and they are obviously very comfortable with, and it should stay that way. Watching someone like Egorapter or YMS spazz out in a BotW sounds worse than Max Landis. And imagine the shitstorm they'd have endured if someone like Jontron or Matt Matei had been a guest a few years ago. The guys should stay in their bubble because its comfortable, and I don't like change.

"Youtubers are pricks" - Rich Evans
I would like it if the original "prick youtuber", Chris Stuckmann, showed up to do something with RLM. He seems like a really nice guy, and it seems like a really easy way to mix things up for a change of pace.

I would also enjoy seeing James Rolfe show up to do something with RLM. Not as the Angry Video Game Nerd, but just as James Rolfe, the guy who's a huge fanboy for oldschool horror movies. They could also hook up with him to do something for the new Ghostbusters movie, and it would be hilarious if while he was there, the RLM guys "forced" him to watch Ghostbusters 2016, since he said he was never going to watch it. Like, I'm thinking they could get James to do a Christmas episode of BotW, and the theme could be "Christmas or Horror" (everything is either a Christmas movie or a horror movie), but Mike rigs the game so that all of the presents are Ghostbusters 2016, and James has no choice but to watch it. And then James comes out of the episode saying that Ghostbusters 2016 was actually pretty good.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I hate how they always post new stuff once I get to work and can't watch it. Post it at 7am for once, then I can watch it while I get ready.

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
There was a time in the 90's where Comedy Central would air this and "Holy Grail" every couple of months so I LOVED this movie as a kid. One of the funniest movies I have ever seen.

I couldn't believe the American Film Institute (AFI) didn't put this or "Naked Gun" in their top 100 comedies list from 2000.

https://www.afi.com/100Years/laughs.aspx

"Airplane!" is on there.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Colin out here wearing a Black Mesa shirt, the fucking nerd.

Top Secret really is overlooked compared to other ones of the era.

OP
OP
Skiptastic

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
re:View is (slightly alongside BotW) my lifeblood for RLM these days. Plinkett reviews have not been strong in the past years, and Half in the Bag is kind of on auto-pilot. Best of the Worst has some good episodes every now and then, but re:View is almost always amazing.

This episode was no exception. I quite enjoyed it.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
re:View is (slightly alongside BotW) my lifeblood for RLM these days. Plinkett reviews have not been strong in the past years, and Half in the Bag is kind of on auto-pilot. Best of the Worst has some good episodes every now and then, but re:View is almost always amazing.

I feel like Mike clearly doesn't want to actually use the Plinkett character anymore but feels obliged to for Star Wars since that's what put them on the map in the first place. The TFA, Last Jedi, and Ghostbusters reviews were increasingly light on the old Plinkett-isms. No kidnapped hooker subplots or fire-hose ejaculations into a destroyed TV here. Either he doesn't find those antics as amusing anymore, doesn't feel like going to the effort of putting them in, or feels like they would detract from the actual movie criticisms that he wants to focus on.

Half in the Bag used to be a catch-all for pretty much everything. They used to do BOTW and Re:View style features in that series before they spun them off to their own separate thing, and it's not terribly surprising that Half in the Bag feels a little more lacking afterward.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, though I did see this movie as a young child and remembered bits and pieces, much like Jay I don't often laugh aloud watching comedies alone. Just the clips they showed in the review made me legitimately laugh out loud multiple times, though.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I have never seen any of the Plinkett stuff, even though I've watched everything else they've done. I'm just not particularly interested in Star Wars.

OP
OP
Skiptastic

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have never seen any of the Plinkett stuff, even though I've watched everything else they've done. I'm just not particularly interested in Star Wars.
I actually quite enjoyed the Star Trek TNG movie reviews, even though I have no real interest in Star Trek. It probably helps that Mike gives a shit about Star Trek a lot more than Star Wars, so there's lots of comparisons to TNG and other Star Trek properties.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
You can watch it without being into Star Wars. It's more of a film making analysis and how to fuck up your legacy.
Pretty much. The parts of the prequel reviews that stick out to me the most:

1) the bit in the Phantom Menace review where he highlights how weakly-written the characters are by doing a comparison survey with the original trilogy characters

2) the bits in the Revenge of the Sith review where he explicitly demonstrates how the poor use of green screen is holding back the films (McGregor can't properly react to Grevious because he can't see or hear what he's supposed to react to; the set where Anakin reveals Palpatine's identity to Windu is too small to allow for a more dramatic and fitting reaction)

I think their takes on cinematography and editing are usually pretty solid and easy to appreciate even if you're not at all invested in the material.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I like the part where he shows clips side-by-side of the prequels copying imagery of the original movies in the wrong context.

I also love in the AOTC review where he explains why Sam Jackson is terrible in those movies and was only included to try to get black people to go see the movie.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

You don't have to be to enjoy watchint Plinkett rip a move a new ass hole. If you're worried watch the cop dog plinkett review and then check out the whole catalogue.