Oct 26, 2017
How are there still fans of this group? I mean people who enjoy movies not those who are into Star Wars.

They get about 6 minutes in to their review of RISE OF SKYWALKER and end up just shitting on THE LAST JEDI. Like what the fuck. Im watching to see what you thought of ROTS not your terrible misguided thoughts on TLJ.

Get over it nerds.
It was the previous installment in the trilogy that this movie was directly following up? Sounds relevant to me, and they also discussed TFA

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was the previous installment in the trilogy that this movie was directly following up? Sounds relevant to me, and they also discussed TFA

Yea and TROS did nothing with the most important thing TLJ set up.

And then it took the ideas of TLJ and just let them sit without any advancement.

We leave TLJ with Rey understanding her purpose in this story and instead of addressing any conflicts that can arise from that,
they just create one out of thin air asking what if Rey was a Palpatine.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I didn't finish the movie, but I actually enjoyed it while it was all setup. The shift to payoff is when it lost me.

edit after reading the last page:I also don't really care if the old ass moo cow fly over people can't pass my purity tests. Jay, Jack and Josh seem to be decent people.

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't finish the movie, but I actually enjoyed it while it was all setup. The shift to payoff is when it lost me.

edit after reading the last page:I also don't really care if the old ass moo cow fly over people can't pass my purity tests. Jay, Jack and Josh seem to be decent people.
I think Mike's a decent guy too, I think people are only apprehensive on here towards him because of how jaded and cynical he is toward Marvel/Disney/Sony/etc and a lot of their "passive progressive" marketing efforts. Rich Evans I'm not sure about though, he's had a few too many choice quotes for me to excuse

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was a very satisfying HITB. Now when will they stop acting like a bunch of lazy devs and get to work on that Cats HITB?

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I think Mike's a decent guy too, I think people are only apprehensive on here towards him because of how jaded and cynical he is toward Marvel/Disney/Sony/etc and a lot of their "passive progressive" marketing efforts. Rich Evans I'm not sure about though, he's had a few too many choice quotes for me to excuse

jack's shut down rich on some of his more sexist statements in the past. like rich severely downplaying the success of wonder woman, because it was his belief that women already have achieved equality. jack's point was, well, obviously not, if people are claiming wonder woman actually still means something. mike and jay both do the 'both sides' thing, and they'll seem to attack the fact there would be such a big deal about the marketing of a movie in general, but mostly side with people making the attacks on women. the brie larson stuff is pretty embarrassing to watch, honestly. 'you may have heard about captain marvel's marketing more than the movie itself! how weird huh?' and then getting super duper offended about brie larson's comments about the marketing of captain marvel.

mike in particular seems consistently bothered by the corporate part of movie-making. this is pretty consistent with how he viewed star trek movies, the star wars prequels, the star wars sequels, and other blockbusters. the face he makes when he asks about what came first - the comic book black panther or the black panther movement is a pretty good indicator of this. he's more offended that some corporation would take something and shove it into media. i can side with him on the believe that film should be art, but he's a thousand percent wrong when he goes off on stupid tangents about the diversity in the force awakens and how it's really just a marketing ploy. maybe it is - but representation matters. not just for the art being created right now, but how it will bring in new fans with different backgrounds and upbringings, who can expand perspectives. i think mike could really do with being a lot more open-minded and a lot less binary on this sort of thing. jay just needs to stop feeling like he's being personally attacked in some scenarios.

and, as a white guy myself, i find myself giving a lot of leeway to other white folks where there probably shouldn't be. i also have a tendency to believe in people being better and being able to change, so maybe i'm too soft on the matter. but essentially my belief is:

rich: ignorant/stupid and sexist (and probably racist)
mike: jaded/stubborn
jay: sensitive/fragile
jack: seems fine
the rest: dunno

but when they go above and beyond and come up with zingers like passive-progressive, it indicates a bigger problem in their thinking. i've never been to wisconsin, but my grandfather grew up in 'lily white' park ridge illinois (his words), and my other grandparents grew up in segregated milwaukee. seeing and knowing what that can do to people firsthand, these guys are probably stuck in their little safe space bubble where they don't need to challenge their beliefs by meeting with the people who rightfully criticize them for their harmful philosophy.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
but when they go above and beyond and come up with zingers like passive-progressive, it indicates a bigger problem in their thinking. i've never been to wisconsin, but my grandfather grew up in 'lily white' park ridge illinois (his words), and my other grandparents grew up in segregated milwaukee. seeing and knowing what that can do to people firsthand, these guys are probably stuck in their little safe space bubble where they don't need to challenge their beliefs by meeting with the people who rightfully criticize them for their harmful philosophy.
I said this in that other thread too, but that's the big issue that I see with how they present themselves. They aren't malicious like the other channels, but just very much in their bubble.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
How much time do they spend bitching about The Last Jedi again? 10 minutes in and they're really want to push the false narrative that nothing happened in TLJ.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of bored and started watching some of Jack's videos for the Escapist. It feels like what he wanted to do with Pre Rec but probably more sustainable because he doesn't have to chase new games and can just talk about things that interests him and is presumably easier to produce since it's just him talking into a camera.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
How are there still fans of this group? I mean people who enjoy movies not those who are into Star Wars.

They get about 6 minutes in to their review of RISE OF SKYWALKER and end up just shitting on THE LAST JEDI. Like what the fuck. Im watching to see what you thought of ROTS not your terrible misguided thoughts on TLJ.

Get over it nerds.
"Misguided thoughts" - I enjoyed TLJ, but I don't think opposing perspectives are somehow..like...what? Subversive? Corrupting?

Plus, it's the extremely relevant prequel from just 2 years ago that ended by clearly establishing the character motivations for the very next film.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Misguided thoughts" - I enjoyed TLJ, but I don't think opposing perspectives are somehow..like...what? Subversive? Corrupting?

Plus, it's the extremely relevant prequel from just 2 years ago that ended by clearly establishing the character motivations for the very next film.

They literal started out by saying nothing happened in TLJ.

So yea I would say misguided.

It's not that they don't like the film. You can dislike TLJ all you want. Just don't sound like you didn't do your research before doing it.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
The Rise of Skywalker: Disney cuts Star Wars same-sex kiss in Singapore

tumblr_pmha5cQLuj1wmjq42o4_250.jpg

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
They literal started out by saying nothing happened in TLJ.

So yea I would say misguided.

It's not that they don't like the film. You can dislike TLJ all you want. Just don't sound like you didn't do your research before doing it.

They in no way appeared as if they didn't do their homework. Whatever anyone's feelings on RLM - what isn't up for debate is their preparedness for their Star Wars videos. Their point in stating "nothing happened" in TLJ was that RoS took little from that film into account. Except for a few "fuck you Rian Johnson" moments, it easily could have been a TFA sequel.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
I said this in that other thread too, but that's the big issue that I see with how they present themselves. They aren't malicious like the other channels, but just very much in their bubble.
"Being in a bubble" is a good way to describe their mindset. Too bad the only thing currently challenging their pre-established views is faceless people screaming on the internet, since that's the sort of thing that has never changed the mind of anyone.

Should we make a HITB TROS thread on etc era?
Are you laboring under the belief that there aren't enough Star Wars threads on etc?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
"Being in a bubble" is a good way to describe their mindset. Too bad the only thing currently challenging their pre-established views is faceless people screaming on the internet, since that's the sort of thing that has never changed the mind of anyone.
I hope Jack is still around anyway. He was the consistent "outsider" of the group. lol

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They in no way appeared as if they didn't do their homework. Whatever anyone's feelings on RLM - what isn't up for debate is their preparedness for their Star Wars videos. Their point in stating "nothing happened" in TLJ was that RoS took little from that film into account. Except for a few "fuck you Rian Johnson" moments, it easily could have been a TFA sequel.
The ''Fuck Rian Johnson'' moments is one of the things that got wrong in their review. I think they completely misread Luke grabbing the Saber. The Luke at the end of TLJ would have also caught it. And, I took his line about a Jedi weapon deserving respect as a joke at his own expense.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The ''Fuck Rian Johnson'' moments is one of the things that got wrong in their review. I think they completely misread Luke grabbing the Saber. The Luke at the end of TLJ would have also caught it. And, I took his line about a Jedi weapon deserving respect as a joke at his own expense.
You might be right.

Or you might be given JJ Abrams too much credit.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I think it was more like a "look everyone it's Luke! he's doing the Yoda thing!" sort of deal, pandering to the lowest common denominator of fan

Tbh I was kinda let down by their review, I've been loving how Jenny Nicholson has been dunking on it constantly though, she gets how much of a shitshow the movie was

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think it was more like a "look everyone it's Luke! he's doing the Yoda thing!" sort of deal, pandering to the lowest common denominator of fan

Tbh I was kinda let down by their review, I've been loving how Jenny Nicholson has been dunking on it constantly though, she gets how much of a shitshow the movie was
If I'm remembering right, she was a big TLJ fan, so I can see her hating on it for multiple reasons.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
You all weren't lying about Knives Out.

One of the best films I've seen this year, wish we got a hitb for it.