Oct 26, 2017
The RTS / MOBA hybrid launched in April 2017 and struggled to find an audience, with long-standing Dawn of War fans put off by the game's art style and MOBA elements. Conversely, the game's MOBA elements failed to attract fans of the genre.

For Relic Entertainment, after a rocky 2017, 2018 looks brighter, with a couple of big projects on the go. The Vancouver-based studio is working on a brand new Age of Empires game for Microsoft, as well as another unannounced project.

Relic PR
While Dawn of War 3 has a dedicated player base, it didn't hit the targets we were expecting at launch, and it hasn't performed the way we had hoped since. It's been tough for us as professionals who want to make great games for our players, and for us as people who care a lot about what we do.When a game underperforms, plans need to change. With Dawn of War 3, we simply don't have the foundation we need to produce major content. We're working in close partnership with Sega and Games Workshop to determine the best course of action, while shifting focus to other projects within our portfolio.

Eurogamer.net

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
It's a shame, because I enjoyed my time with it but they lost some of the feel with DoW2 and onwards.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Dev quits focusing on MOBA #24924824 to concentrate on the RTS revival" is definitely the kind of news I want to hear nowadays. I don't despise MOBAs per se, but classic base-building RTS games need to make a proper comeback, and I think Microsoft is doing a lot to make it happen. Hopefully AOE4 will be great, I even enjoyed 3 despite its shortcomings.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
What's hilarious to me is that they tried to focus on appealing to the MOBA crowd but they didn't bring Last Stand back.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
This is very sad- it is a good game, with some great Warhammer 40k atmosphere. And all the talk about "MOBA" are still deeply confusing to me. The hallmark of a MOBA is, first of all, that you control a single hero unit. In DoW 3, you always build your base and units, which is the antithesis of a MOBA right there. Sure, the maps took some elements from MOBA (having turrets and a nexus that you need to destroy), but people painting this as a MOBA are very off in my book.

Funnily enough, working without base building and a set number of units would feel much more in line with the universe than a classic RTS, anyways :p

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Relic kind of dropped the ball with DoW3. It certainly wasn't a patch on the previous games.

Deleted member 8702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sad but not really surprising, it was completely dead online not long after release. It was an interesting game, and had potential.

Company of Heroes 3 let's go!

Icekilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a lot of words to say the game was shit and we fucked up. What the fuck happend to Relic after CoH 1?

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
If Age of Empires IV launches only on the Windows Store, will we be here again later on, with the same message about not hitting the goals, and a small (but dedicated!) fanbase?

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't even know DoWIII existed.

I booted up Dawn of War II on my Surface Book 2 the other night and was having a blast. Holds up great at 4K60.

I was thinking how awesome a sequel would be...

Oh well.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Sad that the internet bullshit about this game being a MOBA still continues. I thought it was a pretty good game and it's bad for the RTS genre that a game with a good budget like this just fails outright.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
I went to University because of Age of Empires, AOE2 is still one of the games I play most often and I watch AOE streams constantly.

But Relic making AOE4 scares the hell out of me

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
"Dev quits focusing on MOBA #24924824 to concentrate on the RTS revival" is definitely the kind of news I want to hear nowadays. I don't despise MOBAs per se, but classic base-building RTS games need to make a proper comeback, and I think Microsoft is doing a lot to make it happen. Hopefully AOE4 will be great, I even enjoyed 3 despite its shortcomings.

DoW was a classic base building RTS and i don't think you know what a MOBA even is

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
As someone who tried the beta with a friend for an hour or two. I'm not happy to see the Dawn Of War franchise fail but I am happy to see that Relic have realised there is no salvaging the game and that they should focus on their new products while learning from their last project.
When I tried it I didn't like many things about it like no annhilation mode at launch and it only had 3 factions at launch whereas the other DOW titles had way more also no Chaos is an instant nope to me. I know they patched annihilation in much later but at that point I'd lost any interest in the game after hearing bad things plus the beta experience.
Then there was the art style/overall colour scheme which I felt was too colourful when it had the bleak gritty tones/settings completely fine with the previous titles.
The map design at launch was pretty shallow and the game mode really didn't suit what it was trying to be. An RTS with multiple lanes on a map which you then push until you destroy the enemy core is not why I play RTS games.
The final nail in the coffin for me was removing the execution animations that were awesome to see on the previous games.

The embed doesn't work either, great.
A note though this video is loud and has Blow me away from Breaking Benjamin playing.
But taking cool stuff like this out was part of the game for me as I played mostly SP with some multiplayer vs friends.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017

I just hope they don't try and simplify the base building aspect of Age of Empires in 4. As Starcraft 2 is finished (I know people still play this MP) I need a good base building game and not one where you just select units before fights or map based (like total war games).

Oct 27, 2017
DoW1 and DoW2 have more concurrent players each.

Dawn of War 3 launched pushing the unwanted MOBA features, culled many core features/modes, launch "Relic" multiplayer balance (everything is broken) and overall launched with the least amount of factions. Dawn of War 3 didn't receive a single new elite unit or a faction unit. It got low-value and lackluster content support from the day 1.

I would love to hear how Relic justified their failures to Sega, what was the scapegoat.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DoW was a classic base building RTS and i don't think you know what a MOBA even is

As it's stated even in the OP, the latest game brought MOBA elements into the mix which didn't fly with fans. So they chose to focus on a true classic (hopefully) RTS from a historic RTS saga. As someone who prefers RTS to MOBA this is good news to me.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not surprising. The problem with this series is that Dow1 and Dow2 are wildly different and yet both very loved. Dow3 attempted to merge both playstyles, but it was never going to work in a way that would satisfy both groups. Instead they made game that satisfied neither

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Shame. The game was really good. All the best to the developers behind it I hope they can work their magic in another RTS.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As it's stated even in the OP, the latest game brought MOBA elements into the mix which didn't fly with fans. So they chose to focus on a true classic (hopefully) RTS from a historic RTS saga. As someone who prefers RTS to MOBA this is good news to me.
the so called "MOBA elements" were introduced in Dow2 and people loved them. The problem was they're micro-heavy and Relic attempted to merge them with Rts-styled huge battles

Oct 27, 2017

Thats like saying putting pineapple on a pizza does not make it a pizza anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
the so called "MOBA elements" were introduced in Dow2 and people loved them. The problem was they're micro-heavy and Relic attempted to merge them with Rts-styled huge battles

They are much more obvious and skewed in DoW3:
• 3 Lane map, turrets, core.
• Steath bushes
• Elite Units way stronger than DoW2 Heroes
• Core units weaker

None of those points make the game bad, but I didn't hear DoW1 or 2 players asking for any of them. The terrible balance and low amount of content made it impossible to grow on people, because the game did sell enough copies to build the community foundation.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
a shame, but DOW3 is really my least favorite of the series

Not related to Relic but for WH40k fans, there's a 4X in development

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They are much more obvious and skewed in DoW3:
• 3 Lane map, turrets, core.
• Steath bushes
• Elite Units way stronger than DoW2 Heroes
• Core units weaker

None of those points make the game bad, but I didn't hear DoW1 or 2 players asking for any of them. The terrible balance and low amount of content made it impossible to grow on people, because the game did sell enough copies to build the community foundation.
The only way to merge micro and macro was through simplifications. Those elements you named helped make it possible, but there were others, like the terrible dumbing down of cover mechanics, which is the element that used to be a core to Relic's version of RTS.
In ideal world DOW3 would built upon DOW2's gameplay. And then Relic would make SupremeCommander-like Warhammer 40K Epic that would act as an evolution of DoW1 gameplay (especially with the whole strategi campaign that add-ons introduced).

That said, I still think Warhammer40K MOBA could actually be pretty damn kick-ass (just not in DOW3), there was one already, but with Dark Eldars only, which was incredibly dumb idea.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame what happened with DoW 3 but I can understand them cutting it loose. Hopefully AoE IV will be a return to form (although - nothing against Relic! - I wish CA or Bluebyte would get to develop AoE. Seems much more in their wheelhouse than Relic's. Still hopeful though.)

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I'd buy every fucking incarnation of RTS resembling Warhammer / Warhammer 40k game there is, but a mere mention of MOBA completely puts me off of said game.

Icekilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame what happened with DoW 3 but I can understand them cutting it loose. Hopefully AoE IV will be a return to form (although - nothing against Relic! - I wish CA or Bluebyte would get to develop AoE. Seems much more in their wheelhouse than Relic's. Still hopeful though.)

Why Bluebyte? The last anno game was bad. Are they any good RTS developers left..

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I just hope they don't try and simplify the base building aspect of Age of Empires in 4. As Starcraft 2 is finished (I know people still play this MP) I need a good base building game and not one where you just select units before fights or map based (like total war games).

I completely agree. I was never able to get into Starcraft 2 either though, a large part of that was because I didn't think they pushed base building far enough. I would always play Age of Empires/Mythology as city builders and just see how long I could hold off sieges. Never felt like that was possible with Starcraft.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I'm really disappointed that Relic is now working on a Windows Store exclusive game. I enjoyed most of their previous game and I hope their are working on CoH 3 as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Why Bluebyte? The last anno game was bad. Are they any good RTS developers left..

The last Anno wasn't as good as the previous ones but not bad. Even if it was bad, one bad game doesn't mean much.
Still curious what Relic does with AoE tho, I just hope it stays focused on building an empire and not combat. That's why I'd love to see what Bluebyte would do, since combat typically plays not much of a role in the Anno games.

Only if AoE1 remake flops so badly that MS will release AoEIV on Steam.
Yeah, sadly Windows Store only will kill the game.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Someone at the old forum mentioned that the "Relic" signs are gone at the buildings they used to work. Other sources also reported that they are in a difficult situation, so I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft bought them for developing exclusive RTS games to get PC gamers into their store/ecosystem. Time will tell I guess...

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone at the old forum mentioned that the "Relic" signs are gone at the buildings they used to work. Other sources also reported that they are in a difficult situation, so I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft bought them for developing exclusive RTS games to get PC gamers into their store/ecosystem. Time will tell I guess...

No idea if these rumors are true or not, but they are sitting on the most recognized RTS franchise around basically (only Starcraft is bigger due to eSports probably, but AOE is a household name even among casuals), having a dedicated studio to that (and occasionally other spin-offs) for Windows and maybe Xbox (see Halo Wars) definitely doesn't sound bad to me.

Deleted member 11926

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope that they take a good and hard look at AoEII for AoE4 and expand on that. It's sad what happend with DoW3...I wish that they had followed what they built with the fist DoW. But I enjoyed DoWIII far more than DoWII, at least...
I wonder what their other big project is. A Space Marine 2 would be cool but I know that this will probably not happen. Maybe it is Company of Heroes 3?