Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sad to hear, DoW 2 + Expansions was an awesome experience. Unluckily DoW 3 wasn't...

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Someone at the old forum mentioned that the "Relic" signs are gone at the buildings they used to work. Other sources also reported that they are in a difficult situation, so I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft bought them for developing exclusive RTS games to get PC gamers into their store/ecosystem. Time will tell I guess...

Not surprising since theyrecently movedHQs in late 2017. Those sources resemble hearsay.

Nov 8, 2017
They were doing surveys explicitly about CoH3 last year, so I'd be surprised if the unannounced game was anything other than that.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They messed up making a sequel to DoW instead of DoW2. The tactical game of DoW2 was amazing. If they had made a sequel to that, the game would have done much better.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can Games Workshop please just give someone a license to create an XCOM style 40k game again. It's been far too long since Chaos Gate.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I disliked DoW3, but I loved 1 and 2. If only they expanded more on either I would of been happy. How the hell they drop the ball on a franchise that sells well over a couple million units eludes me. Hell, not having last stand mode made me kinda sour to the game as well.

Nov 8, 2017
When was that? Don't think I read about it, but a CoH campaign in North Africa sounds exciting

Late 2017, iirc. They asked about Libya, Italy, Southern France, there might also have been another part of North Africa on the list but my memory is slightly hazy. October there was a general survey, later they did a more specific drill down of which parts of the med theatre people wanted.

For factions, they seemed to be hinting at French resistance, UK, Italy, Germany, USA (not all, but there were the ones they asked about). I hate the resistance idea and want early war not late war but w/e.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
MOBA elements, art-style (both graphics and stuff like backflipping Marines in Terminator Armors), lack of sync-kills and lack of content (maps, factions and units among existing factions) killed the game for me.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Damn what a pity, think the game had potential with an expansion or two. At least we have total war warhammer to get that warhammer fix, that game is amazing.

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Unsubstantive port-begging.
Please release age of empires 4 on PS4.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I wish Relic didn't have to put arbitrary online only requirements in all their modern games now, then I would actually care about the games they make.
All their games are severely restricted if you play the offline.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder when will AOE4 be released? 2019? Will love if the game is included in the GamePass initiative

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I played through DoWIII's SP on the free weekend, but didn't buy (very little MP play these days). Felt marginally guilty not buying it, but having finished it rather quickly and now sitting here failing to recall much of anything about the campaign, it must have missed the mark pretty badly given how much I loved DoW 1/2 and can still recall gobs about those campaigns. I was hoping for a DoWIV that could try again to do what III was aiming for, but with lessons learned.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Dawn of War 3 is a shocking ugly game. I bought it recently and was taken aback by how shoddy everything looked. The SM hero unit has this Michigan J. Frog high step walking animation that looks like it was lifted directly from Warcraft 3's Arthas model. Every unit was chunky and weirdly animated. I just remember thinking both earlier games were graphical masterpieces. Through rose tinted lenses I remember Dawn of War being the best looking RTS I had ever played. Gameplay didn't really click with me, and combined with a very uninspiring first impression of the visuals, I closed the game and haven't went back since.

That cheeseball ass intro didn't help, either. The opening from Dawn of War stays the most intense, exciting CGI intro in videogame history. Now I'm looking at these inherently ridiculous characters staring at falling skulls like a grim dark Wes Anderson movie. What happened, Relic?

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't buy DOWIII after buying DOWII because I'd heard that they watered down their iconic infantry cover system, which was great.

Oct 27, 2017

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
Really disliked my experience with the game.
I couldn't even finish the single player campaign, everything seems so boring and already seen... especially compared to the fantastic DoW 2.
Biggest gaming disappointment of 2017... Let's hope their next game will be better, but this time I won't buy it blindly.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game was savaged so much on Steam reviews, it was probably scaring anyone away that went to the page. It's really sad.

Steam reviews are bullshit. A person can play for 5 minutes and post a shit review. Launch day network issues can drop a games rating so quick it's disgusting. Years of work ruined by shithead impatient kids.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
If Age of Empires IV is exclusive to the Windows Store, then it's DOA out of the gate.

If that and a theoretical Company of Heroes III underperform, then Relic will just be folded into Creative Assembly.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
The game was savaged so much on Steam reviews, it was probably scaring anyone away that went to the page. It's really sad.

Steam reviews are bullshit. A person can play for 5 minutes and post a shit review. Launch day network issues can drop a games rating so quick it's disgusting. Years of work ruined by shithead impatient kids.
I agree, the game wasn't as good as 1 or 2, but I got about 60hrs out of it and had a lot of fun playing with friends. Even the metacritic score isn't that bad, not compared to the steam reviews. People have this tendency to go one way to the highest order only, super negative or positive, there is an in between.

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of sad that the RTS genre on a mainstream level rests and fall with Relic these days. It's crazy that a premiere genre like RTS that was going toe-to-toe with the FPS genre in the 90's is having such twilight years.

Oct 27, 2017

It sold more than 400k copies, yet it no community. The Steam reviews are trivial when evaluating the failure of this game, people just don't want to play this game even after the purchase.

Just accept that fact that Relic made an unwanted game, combo'ed with poor balance, poor content and no future. Total Warhammer 2 got Tomb Kings 4 months after release, DoW3 didn't get a single extra unit.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I played a bit of the beta for DoW 3 and while there is some good flash to it (being able to summon a titan into battle, giant 50-foot robot of death is incredible), I just wasn't feeling it.

There are people who were not happy with Dawn of War 2 focusing more on micro-managing small groups, but I will say - The coop campaign in DoW 2 is some of the most fun I've had playing cooperative with a friend of mine.

Deleted member 11522

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird that nobody told relic the brilliant idea just to make something akin to DoW 1 or 2,well at this point i am worried that AoE IV will be a train-wreck.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
This is very sad- it is a good game, with some great Warhammer 40k atmosphere. And all the talk about "MOBA" are still deeply confusing to me. The hallmark of a MOBA is, first of all, that you control a single hero unit. In DoW 3, you always build your base and units, which is the antithesis of a MOBA right there. Sure, the maps took some elements from MOBA (having turrets and a nexus that you need to destroy), but people painting this as a MOBA are very off in my book.

Funnily enough, working without base building and a set number of units would feel much more in line with the universe than a classic RTS, anyways :p
Is it similar to WarCraft 3 then?

I am interested in DOW3 personally but have not played it at all
The last Anno wasn't as good as the previous ones but not bad. Even if it was bad, one bad game doesn't mean much.
Still curious what Relic does with AoE tho, I just hope it stays focused on building an empire and not combat. That's why I'd love to see what Bluebyte would do, since combat typically plays not much of a role in the Anno games.

Yeah, sadly Windows Store only will kill the game.
I hope then next Anno is awesome, I love the setting

1800s steam era is epic surprised they never went there before actually and surprised more strategy games aren't in that setting

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
AoE 4 will almost certainly be Windows Store Exclusive, but Relic will probably still make decent bank from Microsoft, even if the game flops sales wise (and it almost certainly will).

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of blown away at the RTS's coming.

Thought they moved to mobile. So many rudimentary RTS-lites on mobile now.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It sold more than 400k copies, yet it no community. The Steam reviews are trivial when evaluating the failure of this game, people just don't want to play this game even after the purchase.
I doubt it sold 400K. It had free weekend couple months back :)
But yes, the community just wasn't there. Soulstorm, a 10 years old title has community almost twice as big as DoW3.

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
Can Games Workshop please just give someone a license to create an XCOM style 40k game again. It's been far too long since Chaos Gate.

Feels strange to hear that name, thought I was the only one who cared about that game.

And hope that this is not the end of Dow series. I need a another campaign like dark crusade :(

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
AoE 4 will almost certainly be Windows Store Exclusive, but Relic will probably still make decent bank from Microsoft, even if the game flops sales wise (and it almost certainly will).
Same as Creative Assembly did with Halo Wars 2 pretty much.
I wonder if AoEIV will really be Windows Store exclusive. THis is a game that will easily sell 4 millions on Steam if it's actually good. It's one thing to bassicaly suicide games that make money mostly on Xbox One. But AoEIV will be PC-only and there's no doubt the project will be expensive as hell. If AoE1 remake crashes and burns maybe investors or MS higher ups will convince them to not repeat that diseaster with AoEIV, especially since they will have direct comparision between how well AoE HD 2 and AoE1:DE did.