• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Relic has been shaken down, both good and bad employees left the studio, the future results are hard to predict. People who ignored the community, implemented unwanted design decisions and wasted a ton of resources prototyping 2 W40k games should not be in charge of the next Relic game.

Highlights (positive because future games should improve):
• Mobile games producer who had a big role in shaping DoW3 left. Along him, his fitness coach wife who was, I kid you not, the community manager for DoW3. His next project failed, we are talking about no more than a few hundred of customers failure. He is now working at EA...
• 2 game directors left after launch.
• DoW brand manager left before launch.

Negative (because I don't feel that Relic can replace those people without drop in quality or productivity):
Principal Artist Ian Cumming - Left in this january- 15 yrs at relic
Lead Environment Artist Ian Guise - Left in this January - 13 yrs at relic
Lead Concept Artist David T. Cheong - Left this January - 20+ yrs at relic
Lead AI and Gameplay Engineer Anthony Bergelt - left studio in october 2017, about 9 yrs at relic
Important Generalist Programmer that make many thing for Essence - Michel Schmidt - left studio in october 2017 - 13 yrs at relic
Senior Core Gamepaly Designer - Damon Gauthier - left studio in August 2017 - 13 yrs at relic.

What is more, Essence engine must retain core programmers and tech artists, otherwise new employees will be overwhelmed and inexperienced with the unique and highly custom engine.

Damn, Cheong and Cumming left? Talk about bleeding essential talent

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Relic has been shaken down, both good and bad employees left the studio, the future results are hard to predict. People who ignored the community, implemented unwanted design decisions and wasted a ton of resources prototyping 2 W40k games should not be in charge of the next Relic game.

Highlights (positive because future games should improve):
• Mobile games producer who had a big role in shaping DoW3 left. Along him, his fitness coach wife who was, I kid you not, the community manager for DoW3. His next project failed, we are talking about no more than a few hundred of customers failure. He is now working at EA...
• 2 game directors left after launch.
• DoW brand manager left before launch.

Negative (because I don't feel that Relic can replace those people without drop in quality or productivity):
Principal Artist Ian Cumming - Left in this january- 15 yrs at relic
Lead Environment Artist Ian Guise - Left in this January - 13 yrs at relic
Lead Concept Artist David T. Cheong - Left this January - 20+ yrs at relic
Lead AI and Gameplay Engineer Anthony Bergelt - left studio in october 2017, about 9 yrs at relic
Important Generalist Programmer that make many thing for Essence - Michel Schmidt - left studio in october 2017 - 13 yrs at relic
Senior Core Gamepaly Designer - Damon Gauthier - left studio in August 2017 - 13 yrs at relic.

What is more, Essence engine must retain core programmers and tech artists, otherwise new employees will be overwhelmed and inexperienced with the unique and highly custom engine.
What a fucking joke. Who the hell put this clown in charge of Dawn of War? Couldn't the management see his talents we're beter put elsewhere? Why the hell was he given reins over Dawn of War?

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
What a fucking joke. Who the hell put this clown in charge of Dawn of War? Couldn't the management see his talents we're beter put elsewhere? Why the hell was he given reins over Dawn of War?

because Relic is now full of managers who don't have a clue about the studios history or fans.

I've had a few dealings with them and I understand that at the end of the day its their game but they arent very receptive to feedback from outside the studio.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Blind trust at best, nepotism at worst. His main qualifications were in the art department. His wife didn't even have any experience in game industry...

It is rather important to remember that DoW3 didn't just magically fail or got "unlucky", it sold enough copies to begin building the core community. Over 200k in the first month and as much as 400k before monthly/free weekend/deep sales. When you have the executive producer with art-skills, and community manager with fitness coach experience, how likely is it that you are going to build the successful product and community? There were so many bad decisions or inactivity from Relic that it is a must to drill down to the bottom of it to learn from the experience.

CoH2 community is the biggest RTS community on Steam, half of those people were easily interested in DoW3. But Relic has done this many times: they will drop the pool of Beta testers or community members if they see negativity, they will just use another sample to discover the same criticisms. Rinse and repeat until it is time to ship the game which nobody feels passionate about.

Moral of the story is simple: Don't put unqualified people in charge of the key roles.

All I want is a successful CoH3 game and I hope that Sega or CA can step in to shape what is left of Relic into a qualified functional team.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Just remake DoW 1 with all the expansions

seriously its all I want
latest

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
CoH2 community is the biggest RTS community on Steam, half of those people were easily interested in DoW3. But Relic has done this many times: they will drop the pool of Beta testers or community members if they see negativity, they will just use another sample to discover the same criticisms. Rinse and repeat until it is time to ship the game which nobody feels passionate about.

they didnt even beta test DoW3, unless you want to call 4 days spread over 2 weeks just before launch a beta test.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
There's no way aoe4 is Windows store exclusive. Even Microsofts not that dumb. The only reason it even exists is because of the steam releases.

The only reason why AoE 4 is being made, is to push PC gamers into the Windows Store, UWP and Xbox Live ecosysteem. A Steam version is very unlikely, unless PC gamers actually vote with their wallets against AoE DE when it releases exclusively in the Windows Store this month.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed the campaign more than the skirmishes in DoW2. The lack of base building was bleh, and the emphasis on trying to preserve your limited units through things like the retreat button didn't really appeal to me. The game did do well with giving combat a heavy weapons feel, and had nice touches like destroyed tanks leaving remains that could be used as cover. Nice visuals too.

Never tried the third game after hearing of the poor reception and not being convinced by gameplay videos. I still play the first game during free time sometimes, so would love a fourth that is related to the first but with updated visuals and a few of the best aspects of the second game.

Age of Empires was the first rts that I really loved, and the second one was amazing. Provided hundreds of hours of entertainment. The third one fell flat badly, and I was so disappointed that I stopped playing after an early campaign mission glitched and wouldn't end even after I completed all the objectives. I hope a fourth AoE does not take after the third.

Dec 4, 2017
Honestly, it struck me as a game more geared toward Dawn of War 1 players with added MOBA elements, and I feel the audience that actually still existed today was Dawn of War 2 players who liked things like campaign co-op and The Last Stand, neither of which were in this game.
Which is a horrible combo. MOBA elements should never be mixed with standard RTS mechanics.
I mean, heck, we had all those forgotten games from the late '90s who mixed regular RTS with micro-heavy elements. They all failed.
Jost because control schemes have improved since then doesn't mean the idea of mixing micro-heavy and classic blob-based combat is suddenly functional.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Shitty. I just started to get good at Dawn of War III.

It's actually an amazing game minus some essential features. If they could just somehow put the cover system back in it would be a 9/10.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
If they wanted to make a MOBA game, they should've just made a completely separate RTS game for that genre. Steering 90 degrees with DoW franchise to follow MOBA-style gameplay was a boneheaded decision, losing much of fanbase and new players. If people want to play MOBA game, they can go play free ones.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason why AoE 4 is being made, is to push PC gamers into the Windows Store, UWP and Xbox Live ecosysteem. A Steam version is very unlikely, unless PC gamers actually vote with their wallets against AoE DE when it releases exclusively in the Windows Store this month.

The same way Uncharted is made only to sell PlayStations and Mario to sell Nintendos. Not sure how this is relevant to the discussion.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Which is a horrible combo. MOBA elements should never be mixed with standard RTS mechanics.

It wasn't fundamentally any different from the gameplay in DoW2's hero units. Except the cover system being gone, it was actually the better game minus a couple passes and patches. DoW3 is a really unique and cool experience when you actually play it. It definitely deserves better support from Relic and SEGA.