• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ryul2

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I hope the league does FAAB since I hear it's a lot better than inverted order (which is what my work league does and it sucks) but if it's decided to do inverted order/the majority want it-that's fine too

OP
OP
MrNewVegas

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the league does FAAB since I hear it's a lot better than inverted order (which is what my work league does and it sucks) but if it's decided to do inverted order/the majority want it-that's fine too
I will most likely implement this. I've had many issues with the last place, first waiver system. Early in the season the team doing terribly the first few weeks is able to get the obvious waiver pickups that dominate the rest of the year.

OP
OP
MrNewVegas

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, it's basically the same system except one is on a timer.
FAAB is strictly for free agents. If you mess up in an auction draft, which there are ways to make more errors then a standard, your teams gonna have a rough time.

Messing up your whole team is wayyy worse then overpaying for a FA.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
faab and auction draft are two very different things.

It's using a pre-determined amount to outbid opponents and, if you win, having your budget reduced by the winning amount. The systems are very similar.

FAAB is strictly for free agents. If you mess up in an auction draft, which there are ways to make more errors then a standard, your teams gonna have a rough time.

Messing up your whole team is wayyy worse then overpaying for a FA.

Poor drafting can also be salvaged by good moves in free agency. I drafted poorly in the final year of the GAF league as a left a lot of money on the table but I made so many moves in free agency I ended up in second place.

My main thing is I don't get how auction could be overwhelming or detrimental to people not familiar with it but FAAB be fine even though they could be faced with the same problems (poor money management, over paying, etc). Sure, free agency isn't as important as your draft most times but it is still an important part of it and being left with 10 bucks by week 5 is a very real possibility for anyone that doesn't know what they're doing.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
It's using a pre-determined amount to outbid opponents and, if you win, having your budget reduced by the winning amount. The systems are very similar.
You're missing the point, it's not how they work by themselves, but compared to the NFL. The draft is one the most fun parts of fantasy, in large part to it's similarity to how the real draft works. Auction drafts are fun, but they just don't feel the same.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
You're missing the point, it's not how they work by themselves, but compared to the NFL. The draft is one the most fun parts of fantasy, in large part to it's similarity to how the real draft works. Auction drafts are fun, but they just don't feel the same.

Why would simulating an actual NFL draft be an argument to go snake? It's fantasy football, people should pick the most fun style of drafting for them not what "feels most like the NFL".

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Why would simulating an actual NFL draft be an argument to go snake? It's fantasy football, people should pick the most fun style of drafting for them not what "feels most like the NFL".
it's fun because it feels like the NFL, that's basically the whole point of fantasy.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
It's fun because drafting is fun. The whole point of fantasy is to feel like the NFL? Then people should be playing IDP, with contracts, etc. Except IDP is ridiculously unfun (to me).
You're missing the point again or being deliberately obtuse. Every mechanic in fantasy is a reflection of something in the NFL, but that does not mean that every single thing in the NFL needs its own reflection on fantasy. We could go on about how people mostly care about skill position players and etc, but that's beyond the point.

Point is there is no auction system in the NFL, that's why most people avoid that format. I know it's the same with faab, but waiver plays a very insignificant role in the NFL and not only that, the reverse order of standings is a system that is deemed "unfair" by a lot of people. So it's more about fixing it, than making it more fun, something that's not the problem with the snake draft. You can argue that the auction is something different than what people been playing and they're just afraid to try it..

Anyways, you asked why people liked faab and not auction drafting, that's how I feel about it and think lot of people do too. I'm not against the format and will play in leagues with it, but I rather the majority of them use the snake draft.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
SHIT I just saw yesterday was the last day to join, any chance to still join?

OP
OP
MrNewVegas

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Okay! I just did a quick tally and it looks like we are at 31.

It shouldn't be hard to find 5 more. We should be able to get 3 going. One member said they'd be willing to commish. I would want one more to do the third league. If anybody wants to do it let me know!

Once the 3 groups are formed. Each commish will be in responsible for forming the league in Yahoo and working out the draft.

We will be doing a snake draft with FAAB for FA. Standard scoring and roster.

If anybody wants the last 5 spots let me know!

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible commish a league without playing in it on yahoo? Also, how are we doing the relegation?

OP
OP
MrNewVegas

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible commish a league without playing in it on yahoo? Also, how are we doing the relegation?
I don't think so. That's why I need myself and 2 others.

I think for our first season it'll just be a random mix in each. Then the leagues will be formed again next season off of points gained in the season. 3 for relegation each season up and down.

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Not done this style of drafting before (only snake), but I'm in ... if there's space.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
You're missing the point again or being deliberately obtuse. Every mechanic in fantasy is a reflection of something in the NFL, but that does not mean that every single thing in the NFL needs its own reflection on fantasy. We could go on about how people mostly care about skill position players and etc, but that's beyond the point.

Point is there is no auction system in the NFL, that's why most people avoid that format. I know it's the same with faab, but waiver plays a very insignificant role in the NFL and not only that, the reverse order of standings is a system that is deemed "unfair" by a lot of people. So it's more about fixing it, than making it more fun, something that's not the problem with the snake draft. You can argue that the auction is something different than what people been playing and they're just afraid to try it..

Anyways, you asked why people liked faab and not auction drafting, that's how I feel about it and think lot of people do too. I'm not against the format and will play in leagues with it, but I rather the majority of them use the snake draft.

Just being a reflection isn't the fun of fantasy. Waivers are fun and reflect the NFL but FAAB is a more fun aspect even though it isn't really a reflection of any NFL mechanic (the closest would be a salary cap). We shouldn't eschew a potentially more fun version of fantasy because it isn't "like the NFL". To me auction drafting is superior in every conceivable way to snake, the only issue is length and even that is overstated a lot of times by people.

But free agency plays a HUGE part in fantasy. People say that someone can mess up their draft more easily in auctions (I'll get to how I disagree later) but if a 0-4 team blows their FAAB on people that don't pan out then they're basically screwed for the rest of the year. Also, how can you defend FAAB as not being an aspect of the league but it's fine because waivers have a lot of problems in fantasy but then say auction isn't good because it doesn't mirror the NFL? The same "unfair" aspect of waivers can be applied to snake. The 8th pick in a snake draft can't get the player they want because they're too low but with auction they can get it by spending just like the 8th waiver can't get the player they want but they can in FAAB by spending. It's the same argument.

No, I asked how can people "get" FAAB but not auction considering they're mechanically the same.

How can people get FAAB but not auction drafting?

I disagree, it's basically the same system except one is on a timer.

The problem here is people can mess up their draft and a messed up draft is worse than messed up free agency but an injury or underperformance can be saved by good free agency. They're both important aspects of fantasy but we're going with a mechanic that's easier to mess up for one and not the other.

As far as auction drafting being easy to mess up here's where I disagree. Let's say someone doesn't really get it and they blow 180 on 3 players, at current value Bell, Gurley, and OBJ are collectively 182. It won't shake out like that as people will go higher and lower but this if for the argument. That's a legit "stars and scrubs" strategy even though they had no clue what they were doing. They got the two best RBs and a top 5 WR by "messing up". Again, that's just an example. Maybe they go middle of the pack and leave money on the table which still gives you a super competent team as people going in that area are like Watson/Brees for QB, Howard/Mixon/Guise/McKinnon for RB, Cooks/Alshon/Tate/Diggs for WR, etc. Just going off current value and leaving a whopping 30 dollars on the table here's the team you could get.

Starters:

QB: Brees (10)
RB: Howard (28), Ajayi (19), Miller (18)
WR: Tate (20), Robinson (21)
TE: Eifert (2)
Def: Texans (2)
K: Justin Tucker (1)

Bench:

Kupp (9)
Dion Lewis (11)
Goodwin (11)
Jordy (6)
Edelman (4)
Hyde or Duke Johnson (6)
Brate (2)

A very competent team while "messing up" by leaving a ton of money on the table. Last year this is my busted draft:

1. (2) Melvin Gordon (LAC - RB) $56
2. (34) Emmanuel Sanders (Den - WR) $25
3. (50) Allen Robinson II (Chi - WR) 5
4. (51) Tyreek Hill (KC - WR) $8
5. (62) Larry Fitzgerald (Ari - WR) $6
6. (68) DeVante Parker (Mia - WR) $2
7. (78) Jameis Winston (TB - QB) 2
8. (80) Tyrell Williams (LAC - WR) $2
9. (81) Ameer Abdullah (Det - RB) 2
10. (93) Dan Bailey (Dal - K)
11. (94) Frank Gore (Mia - RB) $2
12. (105) Matt Forte (NYJ - RB) $5
13. (111) Arizona (Ari - DEF) $2
14. (117) Danny Woodhead (Bal - RB) 2
15. (125) Tyler Eifert (Cin - TE) $7
Unused $33

I saved this by things like picking up Watson and other free agency moves ending up in second with this final roster. Made 28 moves and ended up in second. A poor draft can be saved by active trading/free agency so I don't see how it's not as important. But, here's the thing, snake or auction a poor draft can be outside your control. If you had David Johnson and Julio you could've been looking at an awful year. A bad draft is hard to do in either but it's possible to draft well and still have it turn out bad.

Edit: The TL:DR point being if we aren't going to do auction over snake because it's too easy to mess up for people that don't know what they're doing then I don't understand why we're doing FAAB over waivers when it's too easy to mess up for people that don't know what they're doing.

Edit 2: Even though we're going with snake I am willing to run mock auctions every Saturday for people that wanna learn it. I'll explain tactics and how to budget.

Last edited:

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
If nothing else I'd like a vote on it or one league doing snake and the other auction for this year.

silentg

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
For the record, I've only done standard nfl leagues with randoms in the past so I'm happy being in the league with the most straightforward draft. In the uk also...

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
So, what's the skinny?
I've been helping Vegas a little, what we are thinking of doing is 3 leagues, same rules across all of them since we are doing a relegation system. Then we are going to set up some type of crowd calendar with various times/dates for the draft, this way we can better group everybody.

UberTag

Are in for the league? You posted but didn't say if you wanted in or not

Oct 28, 2017
California
I've been helping Vegas a little, what we are thinking of doing is 3 leagues, same rules across all of them since we are doing a relegation system. Then we are going to set up some type of crowd calendar with various times/dates for the draft, this way we can better group everybody.

UberTag

Not gonna lie, a relegation system sounds fucking awesome. Really looking forward to that.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
UberTag

Hey Smurf... thanks for checking in. Nah, don't have the luxury in my schedule for another league without jellybeans on the line right now.
That said, I'd love to follow along in the thread over the course of the season. Hoping to see a highly active fantasy football community blossom here.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Last edited: