Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Why is it so important to accomodate for the Nintendo Direct ? This is a list of the most anticipated games going into 2018, read it, enjoy it and move on.

It's bizarre isn't it. It makes logical sense that a vote for the most anticipated games in 2018 is conducted as early in 2018 as is possible (or even before 2018 begins). That Nintendo chooses to announce their games later in the year is immaterial, because by definition gamers can't anticipate and be excited for games they don't know are coming. Other publishers will possibly have games scheduled to release in 2018 that stand currently unannounced. None of them get special treatment so why should Nintendo?...

Oct 25, 2017
Time to post that SotC gif again!

$

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
God Damn this Cage hate is pathetic. Not liking him or his games his fine, but you don't have to shit on others for liking his games, especially when Heavy Rain was a critical success.

Oct 29, 2017
Why is it so important to accomodate for the Nintendo Direct ? This is a list of the most anticipated games going into 2018, read it, enjoy it and move on.
... no it says most anticipated games OF 2018, not going into 2018. As such it's a bit weird to do it when a substantial number of the big profile games are being announced right after the deadline. Kind of like if you'd do "biggest megatons of the year" on March 31. It's not like waiting two weeks is such a big deal.
And why do I want it to accommodate for that? Well I think it's nicer if the rating of all the subcommunities are reflected when it says "Resetera's most X". That's what that title implies but more importantly I think it results in more interesting reading too. Bigger chance you see titles pop up you would have otherwise ignored. But we can also just call it most anticipated games going into 2018, and call it a day. I'm fine with that. At least I and surely some of the other people in this thread would be more inclined to join in on the voting again because it feels less like a farce. Anyway, I've said all I wanted to say and then some, so I'll leave it here.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
... no it says most anticipated games OF 2018, not going into 2018. As such it's a bit weird to do it when a substantial number of the big profile games are being announced right after the deadline. Kind of like if you'd do "biggest megatons of the year" on March 31. It's not like waiting two weeks is such a big deal.
And why do I want it to accommodate for that? Well I think it's nicer if the rating of all the subcommunities are reflected when it says "Resetera's most X". That's what that title implies but more importantly I think it results in more interesting reading too. Bigger chance you see titles pop up you would have otherwise ignored. But we can also just call it most anticipated games going into 2018, and call it a day. I'm fine with that. At least I and surely some of the other people in this thread would be more inclined to join in on the voting again because it feels less like a farce. Anyway, I've said all I wanted to say and then some, so I'll leave it here.

I don't see why you're still arguing about this, nor does it matter that much. It's just a fun little thing to do and discuss towards the end of the year. Some of you seem way too bothered about the fact that there's a lack of Nintendo games on the list. A farce? Really? You're kicking up a fuss and asking for the OP to change future deadlines to accommodate a January direct that may or may not happen. Honestly, it really doesn't matter. Jesus.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't see why you're still arguing about this, nor does it matter that much. It's just a fun little thing to do and discuss towards the end of the year. Some of you seem way too bothered about the fact that there's a lack of Nintendo games on the list. A farce? Really? It really doesn't matter. Jesus.
That may have come out harsher than I meant. More a bit pointless to vote.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
That may have come out harsher than I meant. More a bit pointless to vote.

I don't see how it's pointless. In an ideal world, everything coming in 2018 will already be announced. I wanted to put Battlefield 2018 on my list but EA hasn't formally announced it yet. Oh well, I just put the 10 games that are announced that I'm looking forward to the most. It's not that deep bro. Lighten up.

benny

Oct 26, 2017
All this voting on games is pointless faff. Doesn't mean it can't be fun when you do it over a period of years and then look back, like Zelda never being most anticipated 3 years in a row and then being the GOTY juggernaut of the year it released.

And Fire Emblem Switch got voted in the top 20 based on nothing but an announcement, so I think this push back to the voting taking place at an inconvenient place in time is more motivated to not being able to boost your camp in this pointless platform war.

It's an reflection of what the people that have accounts on ResetERA and bothered to vote have a gameboner for in December 2017 going into the year 2018.

WillySJ3

Oct 31, 2017
People take this list too personal.

Anyway, the top 25 looks good for me, 2018 will be a great year for gamers.

Oct 25, 2017
All this voting on games is pointless faff. Doesn't mean it can't be fun when you do it over a period of years and then look back, like Zelda never being most anticipated 3 years in a row and then being the GOTY juggernaut of the year it released.

And Fire Emblem Switch got voted in the top 20 based on nothing but an announcement, so I think this push back to the voting taking place at an inconvenient place in time is more motivated to not being able to boost your camp in this pointless platform war.
Zelda was most anticipated for 2017.

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day, this is just a fun little voting thread that isn't serious in any way, and is just a snapshot of what the community was most excited for at the end of the year. And great games like Super Mario Odyssey that are announced and revealed in the same year will assuredly get their due at the end of the year in GOTY voting. Lighten up, everyone! :)
This is what it's all about.

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day, this is just a fun little voting thread that isn't serious in any way, and is just a snapshot of what the community was most excited for at the end of the year. And great games like Super Mario Odyssey that are announced and revealed in the same year will assuredly get their due at the end of the year in GOTY voting. Lighten up, everyone! :)
and somehow ppl managed to ruin even this.
Anyway thx for all the work you did. 2018 is gonna be amazing

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
You know, taken as it is right now- If you tell me all top 5 games on this list made it as GOTY 2018 nominees I wouldn't be surprised.

Well maybe RDR2... Because it would totally have MTX lootboxes...

benny

Oct 26, 2017
Zelda was most anticipated for 2017.
Oh damn, that's right. It was by 6 points over Persona 5. I revise my statement and say this is the perfect indicator for quality and RDR2 will be GOTY. ;-)

But looking that up I saw the very same argument last year, except about the Switch Line-Up. I think that's why it was proposed to maybe do it every 6 months.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

The problem with this logic is that you could keep holding off the vote for every planned and speculated announcement event on the gaming year calendar until it's just plain pointless.
"Oh wait a Direct is coming up!"
"Oh wait there's a rumour of something from Rockstar"
"Oh wait, GDC is soon!"
"PAX is around the corner!"
"E3!!!"
etc etc
Quite frankly you can't know the entire gaming line up of any given year until that year is already done.
So if it needs to be renamed to "most anticipated going into year X" as you say then so be it, as the alternative given is plain silly.

The most sensible time to do it is at the end of the prior year.

PS: this entire argument is going to look especially silly if the direct comes and goes with no big announcements, or heck if it doesn't happen at all.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What if Nintendo doesn't announce any major games in their Jan direct ? Should we wait till E3 to do the list ? There is a cut off date rule for a reason and op explained it perfectly in one of his posts which made complete sense .

On the other note, what if Nintendo 2018 is much weaker than their amazing 2017 ? Why do we assume they have an amazing 2018 ganes line up kept secret to reveal in the next few days ?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Here is something interesting :

Can you get the hit numbers of the YouTube trailers for the first 10 games on era list and let's see how era compares to mass market of YouTube ?

I will be extremely thankful to whoever that does it .cheers

Edit : list is in a post below

Last edited:

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with this logic is that you could keep holding off the vote for every planned and speculated announcement event on the gaming year calendar until it's just plain pointless.
"Oh wait a Direct is coming up!"
"Oh wait there's a rumour of something from Rockstar"
"Oh wait, GDC is soon!"
"PAX is around the corner!"
"E3!!!"
etc etc
Quite frankly you can't know the entire gaming line up of any given year until that year is already done.
So if it needs to be renamed to "most anticipated going into year X" as you say then so be it, as the alternative given is plain silly.

The most sensible time to do it is at the end of the prior year.

PS: this entire argument is going to look especially silly if the direct comes and goes with no big announcements, or heck if it doesn't happen at all.
I mena it snot even a big deal at all these are the games people are anticipated why does this have to turn into some contest?

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Here is something interesting for one brave soul to do :

Can you get the hit numbers of the YouTube trailers for the first 10 games on era list and let's see how era compares to mass market of YouTube ?

Edit : I will do it myself .I wanna see if we are indicative of mass market or close or way off . So give me 10 min .

Atleast the Top 3

The most watched Youtube Trailers for each Game (counted all trailer with 1+ Mio Views)

Red Dead Redemption 2 ~ 75 Mio Views (Announcement Trailer)
God of War ~ 34 Mio (E3 2016)
Spiderman ~ 54 Mio (E3 2017)

benny

Oct 26, 2017
Here is something interesting for one brave soul to do :

That seems like something you could hit up Nightengale for. I think that's a topic he follows.

FFObsessed

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
18 of top 20 are on PS4

Of which I'll be buying 15 of them 0_o

The system deserves another 20 million sales next year, it has had a consistently amazing line up of games every year.

Plus there's FFVII Remake, The Last of Us Part II and Death Stranding to come the year after (hopefully.)

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Some damn solid games here...but let's just say this will also be a good opportunity to catch up on some 2017 titles as well...

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
18 of top 20 are on PS4

Of which I'll be buying 15 of them 0_o

The system deserves another 20 million sales next year, it has had a consistently amazing line up of games every year.

Plus there's FFVII Remake, The Last of Us Part II and Death Stranding to come the year after (hopefully.)

that will be an interesting vote next year

BeelzeBob

Oct 25, 2017
2018 is looking to be a very solid year. Not as crazy looking as 2017 but there is a whole year left. Can't wait for Monster Hunter and Yakuza 6.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Either I missed my chance to vote, or this slipped out from right under me since I didn't see the post earlier.

Can't say though that a single vote would have changed much considering the focus between RDR2, GoW and Spiderman. While it is nice to see MHW on the top 10, it is a bummer that DBFZ fell just shy of breaking into the Top 10.

It is going to be hard to be hyped for 2018 after what we got in 2017, but it should still be a fun year.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Out of this forum definitely, but seeing it getting so many mentions on here is certainly surprising to me.
This minority seems to be so loud that it is able to drown any anticipation into the abyss within this community.
Yeah, dw we exist. Just not fun to talk about it too much precisely because of this. But the OTs for HR and Beyond where people actually play the game were generally very pleasant over at the old place. Well sourced criticism and appreciation without any of the dumb drive by posts. Im sure Detroit will be similar. For what its worth HR also got #6 at the 2010 GOTY voting and most of the people are here.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead, that being said they could ruin it by making me play multiple characters

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ok I LL keep updating this post :

Based on YouTube hits of the trailers for these games (above 2 million view counts for a trailer is eligible for my counting unless it has below 2 million hits )

1.Red dead redemption 2: 73.4 million
2.God of war : 65 million
3.Spiderman: 60.5 million
4.Monster Hunter world :16 million
5.Kingdom heart 3 :26.7 million
6.Detroit become human :6.6 million
7.Shadow of the colossus: 3.2 million
8.Dragon quest XI:4.9 million
9.Ni no kuni 2 : about 1 million
10.Yakuza 6 :about 1.7 million

Last edited:

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
God Damn this Cage hate is pathetic. Not liking him or his games his fine, but you don't have to shit on others for liking his games, especially when Heavy Rain was a critical success.

Yeah it gets annoying and sometimes I think it's the "cool" thing to do. I hope people know Detroit has multiple writers working on the game.

On a side note. Shenmue 3 at 19 is not bad considering they really haven't showed anything (ppl doubt it's even a 2018 title) and the marketing campaign has not even started.

Last edited:

RennerSage

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
people are worried that Rockstar isn't going to focus on SP anymore

Deleted member 1326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I LL keep updating this post :

Based on YouTube hits of the trailers for these games (above 2 million view counts for a trailer is eligible for my counting unless it has below 2 million hits )

1.Red dead redemption 2: 73.4 million
2.God of war : 65 million
3.Spiderman: 60.5 million
4.Monster Hunter world :16 million
5.Kingdom heart 3 :26.7 million
6.Detroit become human :6.6 million
7.Shadow of the colossus: 3.2 million
8.Dragon quest XI:4.9 million
9.Ni no kuni 2 : about 1 million
10.Yakuza 6 :about 1.7 million
That top 3 is massive.