• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 26, 2018
All I know is one of the mannequins from the attic is on a table in the RPD. I wanna say the hallway by the West Storage Room? But I can't really remember which one.
There's a manequin with a knife stuck to its head in the 3f storage room. Scared the shit out of me yesterday.

Btw, finished the orphanage part and jesus christ, it was really sickening. In between the kids disturbing letters, the girl body on Chief Irons room and him swallowing a slug...blegh

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
LoL True ending make some people think RE2 Remake is happened in new timeline.

UjgKC8R.jpg

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I beat Leon B yesterday, and definitely didn't like it as much as Claire A. Fighting the same bosses again was a bit tired(and maybe me really dislike the boss battles in this game, but Birkin 2 was oddly the one I likedbetter, the rest were all worse). And the continuity issues really stick out. They did a good job of presenting differences between the RPD between Leon and Claire, but all the other areas offered very little difference and that was disappointing. I wish they just did separate campaigns that aligned better and then the true ending would be triggered after you beat the second one (and let you choose who to play). Also a shame they don't let you play Leon at the gas station. Feel like they could have cooked something that was a few minutes long.

Also, I want to see NEST before it falls. Think the beginning of Half-Life. Follow Wayne Li as he starts work that day.

But I really loved this game overall. I immediately started Leon A after, with the alternate original costumes and original soundtrack. It's amazing the nostalgia bomb that combo has. The original menu sound effect and music are so iconic. The music is a bit overbearing, but it really makes for a different experience. Going to replay this game a lot.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

UjgKC8R.jpg

The idea of "these differences have a big impact on the plot SO WHY HAVE THEY INCLUDED THEM IF THEY DIDN'T MEAN SOMETHING" is so hilarious to me because it makes the false assumption that Capcom cares about the continuity on these finer details as much as the fans. Which is honestly rarely the case.

Oct 25, 2017

Haha some people are really reading too much into those corny lines in the true ending.

Claire, bantering with Sherry: "I gotta take a shower"
Some fans: Yep, that's it. New timeline. One-track-mind Claire is definitely not going after Chris now.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
So when/if there's different epilogues for characters in RE3make, will that create a new timeline as well? :D

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
tfw you struggle, barely making it to the front door for the first time in fourth survivor and well...you can surmise the rest.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I'm having problems with the Ivy bulbs Record entry/achievement. I shot 3 Ivy zombies now in their bulbs until they fall down, no other bulbs to be seen but I still didn't get it. Do they have some also on their back? That's one place I have not checked as I'm realising now.

Goonie

Oct 26, 2017
I'm having problems with the Ivy bulbs Record entry/achievement. I shot 3 Ivy zombies now in their bulbs until they fall down, no other bulbs to be seen but I still didn't get it. Do they have some also on their back? That's one place I have not checked as I'm realising now.
You can't shoot anything but the bulbs. If you miss and hit their body, you have to start over. I had the same problem, haha.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Annette kind of dies twice in LeonA/ClaireB, in a same fashion as in the remake.
She shoot Ada and then dies. If you go unto her body, it says she's dead.
But a few moments laters, in ClaireB, when you get to her, she's alive again to have some final words with Sherry and then dies again.

In Leon A, Birkin is confirmed dead after he gets shot up, but after the soldiers leave, he crawls around, injects himself with the G-Virus, and has a conversation with Annette.

People are just bad at telling when someone's actually dead in RE.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Watching this really highlights how much story and interconnective tissue between what was happening in the two campaigns was cut. Leon and Claire contact each other fairly regularly, there's actually continuity with how characters like Annette go from one scene in an A scenario to a scene in a B scenario. Even the puzzles connect, where doing things like clearing out the helicopter wreckage opens up areas for the alternate character.

It's a shame because they nailed pretty much everything else about this remake.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Playing through Claire again now, I really feel that although a lot of individual moments are better written, the broader story isn't told in a particularly exciting or satisfying way. The orphanage section in particular ends up feeling more like a subplot, and Sherry's bravery in the original was more interesting than the game of hide and seek she has to engage in now. Without an immediate follow up to the pendant, it seems like a waste of time. I'm also not entirely sure why the Chief wants it in this game? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall the vaccine or the virus being inside this time around. Just that the symbol on it is the same as the one in the lab. But I could be misremembering. In the original, Sherry carrying around the G-Virus is actually quite clever, and is used well later in the game. Having Mr. X chase after it worked really well for a lot of scenes, and is more interesting than "Mr. X is chasing down survivors," or whatever is going on in the remake. The only time Mr. X felt appropriately used from a story perspective, was when he takes out Ben, which does make more sense than the original. But overall, I think the original game seems a lot more purposeful in how it develops the plot.

The birkins in particular are treated as more of a mystery. It also effectively developers William as a monster before the first boss fight.First you hear Sherry say something is chasing her, and hear it roar. In another scene you see it implant the embryo into Chief Irons, but only part of its body. It's clever in a way that REmake isn't, which seems to think the most exciting way to introduce something is abruptly (I do like the "you need" help scene, though).

I think the Ada/Leon story actually develops in a more logical way. The FBI idea is a pretty good one, and provides a strong motivation for Leon to be manipulated into getting the G Virus from the lab. However, the Birkins have always been the core of RE2, since 1.5, and it's disappointing to see that side of the story jumbled in this way. Annette wanting to take responsibility for the G virus sort of makes a little more sense in this version. It's better than slavish devotion to her husband's legacy. But not every scene works, and I'm not a fan of "scientist is talks to him/herself, transfixed b the G-Virus" over and over again. I prefer the original having Annette shocked that Sherry wasn't safe in the police station as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through Claire again now, I really feel that although a lot of individual moments are better written, the broader story isn't told in a particularly exciting or satisfying way. The orphanage section in particular ends up feeling more like a subplot, and Sherry's bravery in the original was more interesting than the game of hide and seek she has to engage in now. Without an immediate follow up to the pendant, it seems like a waste of time. I'm also not entirely sure why the Chief wants it in this game? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall the vaccine or the virus being inside this time around. Just that the symbol on it is the same as the one in the lab. But I could be misremembering. In the original, Sherry carrying around the G-Virus is actually quite clever, and is used well later in the game. Having Mr. X chase after it worked really well for a lot of scenes, and is more interesting than "Mr. X is chasing down survivors," or whatever is going on in the remake. The only time Mr. X felt appropriately used from a story perspective, was when he takes out Ben, which does make more sense than the original. But overall, I think the original game seems a lot more purposeful in how it develops the plot.

The birkins in particular are treated as more of a mystery. It also effectively developers William as a monster before the first boss fight.First you hear Sherry say something is chasing her, and hear it roar. In another scene you see it implant the embryo into Chief Irons, but only part of its body. It's clever in a way that REmake isn't, which seems to think the most exciting way to introduce something is abruptly (I do like the "you need" help scene, though).

I think the Ada/Leon story actually develops in a more logical way. The FBI idea is a pretty good one, and provides a strong motivation for Leon to be manipulated into getting the G Virus from the lab. However, the Birkins have always been the core of RE2, since 1.5, and it's disappointing to see that side of the story jumbled in this way. Annette wanting to take responsibility for the G virus sort of makes a little more sense in this version. It's better than slavish devotion to her husband's legacy. But not every scene works, and I'm not a fan of "scientist is talks to him/herself, transfixed b the G-Virus" over and over again. I prefer the original having Annette shocked that Sherry wasn't safe in the police station as well.

I would say that although the main plot in Claire's campaign is simplistic (finding and protecting Sherry), the subplot with the orphanage is great way to expand on the Chief's backstory and just how messed up Umbrella is. While I agree that keeping the vaccine/virus in the pendant in the original was pretty clever, I actually prefer the flow of the remake. On the surface, it's a simple story, but then you actually peel off layers as you progress through the campaign and read more of the files. Children being adopted only for you to find out that Umbrella was testing on them. Irons being the chief of police as well as orphanage director, both of which are funded by Umbrella, searching for the pendant because it was the key to open up the antiviral case.

Leon's plot on the other hand is more straightforward, I think. Rookie cop who wants to find out what happened in Raccoon City, meets an FBI agent, and was willing to take the lead from her without knowing her true motives. Obviously, the lore is also expanded in his scenario through his conversations with Ada along with Ben's notes and explanation of why Mr. X is trundling about.

Honestly, I kind of think both plots independent of each other are just serviceable, but taken as a whole, the overall story becomes a little better. Then again, story hasn't really been RE's strongest feature anyway.

Oct 28, 2017
Without an immediate follow up to the pendant, it seems like a waste of time. I'm also not entirely sure why the Chief wants it in this game? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall the vaccine or the virus being inside this time around. Just that the symbol on it is the same as the one in the lab.

The pendant functions as a key that unlocks the storage unit for the G-Virus and its corresponding vaccine in the lab. The orphanage has a hidden passageway that leads to the sewer area with the cable car that leads to the lab. While they never made it clear what the Chief's intentions were, the fact that he wants the pendant implies that he knows what it's used for. There's a file in the sewers that implies that it was the sewer admin who helped Umbrella HQ infiltrate the labs. If you put two and two together, Umbrella HQ probably bribed people, including Irons, into helping them infiltrate the labs. Now that the city has gone to shit, Irons wants to retrieve the samples personally and collect his reward from Umbrella.

I think Irons is supposed to a playable character in one of the later volumes of Ghost Survivors, so hopefully they'll make clear what his intentions were in his playable episode.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Do they mention the fact that raccoon City gets vaporized at all? i was hoping that would happen in the true ending but it's sun up and no evidence of any nuclear bomb residue.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
So finished the game and I agree that the lone blemish on this otherwise fantastic game is the B mode being so unoriginal and completely out of sync story wise. The tension was great, especially at the start, but it is just too similar to A to make it unique.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
They should have really focused on two very different scenarios (Leon A / Claire B, or B / A), instead of having them not interact through the whole game and fight the same bosses in 4 similar scenarios.

Seriously, it was too hard to just give them a radio like they did in the original game? It's not satisfying to see them escape together by pure luck in the end! They don't ever meet and they end up in the same train at the same time after talking for like 20 seconds through a bad video feed...

The game's package is fantastic but the plot lacks substance, and it's something I wasn't expecting from this remake. It's such a wasted opportunity after such a long wait.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Getting the Antiviral Agent for Sherry is such a fools errand when Anette beats you to the punch and cures her daughter. That could have played out differently.

Oct 25, 2017
They should have really focused on two very different scenarios (Leon A / Claire B, or B / A), instead of having them not interact through the whole game and fight the same bosses in 4 similar scenarios.

Based on the initial reveal of the game last year, Capcom seemed to have been going for what you mentioned. It kind of sucks what we got instead.

Getting the Antiviral Agent for Sherry is such a fools errand when Anette beats you to the punch and cures her daughter. That could have played out differently.

Did you miss the part where Claire hands the antiviral agent to Annette?

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on the initial reveal of the game last year, Capcom seemed to have been going for what you mentioned. It kind of sucks what we got instead.

Did you miss the part where Claire hands the antiviral agent to Annette?
Yup.

But seriously where was Annette hiding the entire time? She could have gotten the drug easily with her clearance.

Last edited:

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Yup.

But seriously where was Annette hiding the entire time? She could have gotten the drug easily with her clearance.

She was hunting William. She said it herself: she was willing to sacrifice her daughter to stop William. She could have saved Sherry right away but chose not to.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized something about William Birkin.
In the Remake, we can see that he still has some kind of humanity left in him while in G1, as we can see in his fight against him where he tries to talk, urging the Leon/Claire to kill him or to go away. He's trying his best to fight G but he's slowly losing the battle, mutating further later in the game.

In Claire's campaign, we see his last moments before growing another head and completely losing the battle against his own virus.
And what does he do, as his very last act as a human being ?

He saves his daugther from Mr.X.
That's the kind of detail I like.
And yeah, we could argue that it's because G wants to "implant" her with an embryon. But if you look recall, just one scene earlier, he also saved her from Irons. He could have implanted her right here and there but when we go into the orphanage as Claire, he's nowhere to be seen.
I truly believe he tried to save his daugther as his last human act.

As an aside, in G3 you can still see Birkin's face and in G3 and G4 you can see whats left of his original spine. I believe the original had some of those details but there is something so haunting seeing it in the model viewer, paused within the moment with the save room theme playing. I wonder if Birkin still had some consciousness during G2 and G3....kinda like a I have no mouth and must scream scenario? Makes my mind wander.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I beat Claire B today (first time doing the B scenario) and then went right into Fourth Survivor. It took almost two hours but I finally beat it. Damn, that is exhilarating! Died twice right at the very end which was maddening but I managed to slip through on my last attempt of the night. I think this is my first encounter with Hunk and I love him already. Please tell me Capcom has never revealed his face. And now Tofu mode is amazing from the minute or two I spent playing it. I will do my best to beat it. I never played the original RE 2 but I knew about Hunk and Tofu mode and the A and B scenarios and I honestly doubted that Capcom would add all that content because it's a lot of stuff, and also because Tofu is the sort of goofy Capcom flavor that I thought they'd shy away from now. So having it all here is so great.

I'm a latecomer to the series. I played Revelaiton when it came out, then 7, then REmake, then 4, and now RE 2 remake. 4 is still my favorite and it completely blew me away when I first played it a year ago, but 2 is easily my second favorite now. I think it does a really good job of sorta bridging the gap between survival horror with its claustrophic, stressful moments and the action gameplay of 4. The main cast is great too, and Mr. X is totally iconic. Capcom was one of my favorite developers growing up and it thrills me that they're back to making great games in their flagship franchises like Mega Man, Monster Hunter, and Resident Evil.

And now I'm not sure where to go next. Nemesis on PSN?

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
did anyone else here think Sherry was going to get a rad eye scar from the G parasite this time

I was disappointed when DEVIL totally healed it

then she would match Jake better in the future lol

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Seriously, it was too hard to just give them a radio like they did in the original game? It's not satisfying to see them escape together by pure luck in the end! They don't ever meet and they end up in the same train at the same time after talking for like 20 seconds through a bad video feed...

The game's package is fantastic but the plot lacks substance, and it's something I wasn't expecting from this remake. It's such a wasted opportunity after such a long wait.
I agree, it's a fantastic game but even though I never played the original I did expect more interactivity between the 2 characters.

While the game is really great it falls kinda flat in its narrative and I think that could be hindering for it to become a true classic.

Still I feel it's miles ahead from pretty much any game released in the last couple of years, it feels (and looks) next gen, out of nowhere

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
I was expecting this remake for years. And for me the Capcom choice for the B scenarios are the most disappointing thing of the gen.

The game is fantastic, but what the hell, what were they thinking with the B scenarios? I would like a patch to delete them completely.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States

UjgKC8R.jpg

The originals do these things to sequel bait the audience. There's no need to do that anymore and thus they can create a more relaxing, gratifying ending with the 3 of them. Also, Chris's letter is code because he is undercover. Undercover Chris is what I actually want a game about. Revelations 1 should have been that game.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
I was expecting this remake for years. And for me the Capcom choice for the B scenarios are the most disappointing thing of the gen.

The game is fantastic, but what the hell, what were they thinking with the B scenarios? I would like a patch to delete them completely.
ill be honest i don't even think i can put it as a mark against the since they pretty much said they weren't going to do B Scenarios but then put them in anyway

So I expected nothing but got a little more so *shrug*

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark

UjgKC8R.jpg
They're sanitizing themselves in the midst of a confusing and overbearing situation when Claire tells Sherry she can come and she wants a shower anyway. It doesn't mean anything, it's just good characterization. The ending is less direct about it but still implies that there's a road ahead and "if there's more of this we have to do something about it." leaving it more open ended.

The original story is that the writer for RE2, Noboru Sugimura was about to flip out over the "Hey, it's up to us to take down umbrella" line, as it was something Kamiya added to the final cutscene because he felt it was badass, which caused Sugimura to revise the next thing he was working on: Code Veronica to have continuity with this motivation, but it was never anything they had discussed and there wasn't any discussed long-term plan to have an arc where Umbrella had to become the primary antagonist for a span of games. However, they started going that route until eventually Shinji Mikami shifted the series' direction after multiple scrapped prototypes for RE4 and the financially unsuccessful REmake, with the RE4 we all know and love, and then the Umbrella subplot was retconned with a timeskip and the idea that it had gone bankrupt instead.

That said, if these remakes are successful enough and Capcom sees an opportunity here, I think it's about time they fill in the gap between 1998 and 2003 in the timeline and show us the aftermath of Code Veronica and have some ensemble story and another classic-type outbreak scenario, maybe in the actual mountains of Arklay Mountains, some village or a neighbouring big city to Raccoon City, in which maybe Leon, Claire, Chris and maybe even Jill arrive during the outbreak already knowing they have to find some Umbrella higher ups and find tangible evidence of Umbrella's guilt, thus being able to shut them down and prevent further T-virus developments. You could even throw Wesker in there and establish some more of how he was characterized in 5 being that he is only concerned with himself and is slowly getting more obsessed with evolution.

I've always felt like, despite how RE never had particularly deep narratives, this gap in the timeline needed fixing and there's so many ways you could actually do it, and now having these modernized revisits of the classic-era RE being made, it seems like the perfect time to just say "Hey, RE8 takes place in year 2000" and all that follows thematically with that as well as making an all-new metroidvania style map full of puzzles, a new couple of signature monster variants but otherwise just more of these deadass RE2 Remake zombies and more of this fantastic gameplay.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Yep and with a bit of luck you'll see Hunk's face :p
Thanks.

I beat Tofu, Konjac, and Uiro-Mochi today. Beating Hunk definitely gives you a good foundation for the Tofu modes, and then they in turn teach you how to play Hunk better. Konjac was definitely the hardest of the three, being the most Hunk-like (that flamethrower is definitely a red herring), while Uiro-Mochi was relatively easy and only took a couple tries. He was probably the most fun too. I'm looking forward to trying out the last two next.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're sanitizing themselves in the midst of a confusing and overbearing situation when Claire tells Sherry she can come and she wants a shower anyway. It doesn't mean anything, it's just good characterization. The ending is less direct about it but still implies that there's a road ahead and "if there's more of this we have to do something about it." leaving it more open ended.

The original story is that the writer for RE2, Noboru Sugimura was about to flip out over the "Hey, it's up to us to take down umbrella" line, as it was something Kamiya added to the final cutscene because he felt it was badass, which caused Sugimura to revise the next thing he was working on: Code Veronica to have continuity with this motivation, but it was never anything they had discussed and there wasn't any discussed long-term plan to have an arc where Umbrella had to become the primary antagonist for a span of games. However, they started going that route until eventually Shinji Mikami shifted the series' direction after multiple scrapped prototypes for RE4 and the financially unsuccessful REmake, with the RE4 we all know and love, and then the Umbrella subplot was retconned with a timeskip and the idea that it had gone bankrupt instead.

That said, if these remakes are successful enough and Capcom sees an opportunity here, I think it's about time they fill in the gap between 1998 and 2003 in the timeline and show us the aftermath of Code Veronica and have some ensemble story and another classic-type outbreak scenario, maybe in the actual mountains of Arklay Mountains, some village or a neighbouring big city to Raccoon City, in which maybe Leon, Claire, Chris and maybe even Jill arrive during the outbreak already knowing they have to find some Umbrella higher ups and find tangible evidence of Umbrella's guilt, thus being able to shut them down and prevent further T-virus developments. You could even throw Wesker in there and establish some more of how he was characterized in 5 being that he is only concerned with himself and is slowly getting more obsessed with evolution.

I've always felt like, despite how RE never had particularly deep narratives, this gap in the timeline needed fixing and there's so many ways you could actually do it, and now having these modernized revisits of the classic-era RE being made, it seems like the perfect time to just say "Hey, RE8 takes place in year 2000" and all that follows thematically with that as well as making an all-new metroidvania style map full of puzzles, a new couple of signature monster variants but otherwise just more of these deadass RE2 Remake zombies and more of this fantastic gameplay.

A lot of this happens in Umbrella Chronicles. It fills the gap left between 1998 and 2003.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if someone already bring this to discussion, but what's about that huge hole in the third floor in the police station? In my first run I ignore it, but in the second run I watch it and thought it was very weird. It would be dope if it was Nemesis's work when he was chasing Jill.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm glad I wasn't the only one pushing the theory that ReMakes take place in their own timeline now and we're going to have a separate cannon.

Now that this is actually gaining a little traction, I'm going to go out on a limb and state again that I think RE7 takes place in the ReMake universe and not the post-RE6 universe.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
I don't know if someone already bring this to discussion, but what's about that huge hole in the third floor in the police station? In my first run I ignore it, but in the second run I watch it and thought it was very weird. It would be dope if it was Nemesis's work when he was chasing Jill.
There and in the shower room

Would be dope if true

Like Jill gets a locker combo from the STARS office for a key item in the shower room, then Nemmy bursts through

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Or .. you know .. Capcom just re-imagined the game and wanted to keep it as stand-alone as possible .. it's not like anything in RE2make directly contradicts or invalidates the future games... Sherry received a serum but it doesn't mean there still wouldn't be a dormant strain of the G virus left inside her body .

Also .. Claire wanting to take a shower instead of hurrying to the next Umbrella base doesn't mean Capcom are altering the timeline lol

Leave it to the internet to overreact and reach for anything they can grab their hands on.