• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
In Capcom's second quarter here were their software shipments:

pdf_43.png

Capcom shipped (or sold digitally) 800k software for Switch.

We know only two titles were released for Switch during that time, USF2 sold 450k copies so MHXX for Switch makes up the other 350k units of software for the 2nd quarter.

Capcom's third quarter:

pdf_33.png

It shows that Capcom has shipped (or sold digitally) 1050k or 1.05 million units of software for the Switch for the nine months of the FY. That means Capcom shipped 250k units of software for Switch in the third quarter.

RER 1+2 for Switch may have sold 200k copies, or it may even have went lower than that like 150k, reason as follows: (Edit: RER 1+2 may have sold 150k units or less, here is why.)

MHXX for Switch and USF2 launched in Korea in the third quarter at the time the Switch launched there so that affects shipments.
USF2 launched in Taiwan for the Switch launch so that affects shipments.
Shipments to Asia increased by 50k for the quarter and the below factors are why I think it's actually 150k or less sales for RER 1+2 for Switch.
USF2 had an eShop sale in Japan so that would have contributed to more sales.
MHXX for Switch also had an eShop sale in Japan where it ranked quite well during that time.

Regarding RER 1+2 itself, despite each game being cheap separately and releasing in November where it should have had good sales due to holiday shopping, there was no physical release in Europe, and we know how it performed in Japan via Media Create and US via NPD. (Not that well)

Edit:
With 250k software shipped for the quarter, 50k got shipped to Asia which wasn't RER 1+2 and was software for the Switch launch in South Korea and Taiwan which included USF2 and MHXX.
USF2 and MHXX had sales on the eShop in Japan which MHXX did well in rankings.
Hence now I think RER 1+2 sold 150k units or less.

Edit 2:

Also note that Capcom still like USF2 and MHXX's performance but didn't mention RER 1+2:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e180131b.html

In This Business, Resident Evil 7 Biohazard (For PlayStation 4, Xbox One And PC) And Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) Nintendo Switch Ver. (For Nintendo Switch) Performed Strongly, In Addition To Ultra Street Fighter II The Final Challengers (for Nintendo Switch) becoming a smash hit. Meanwhile, sales of Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite(for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC), which was launched in September 2017 targeting the European and US markets, tended to be soft.

To compare as an example why Capcom are liking MHXX and USF2's sales:

USF2 sold almost(?) 500k units at $40 each
RER 1+2 is counted as separate games at $20 each selling 150k units or less.

RER 1+2 could sell a lot more units but it's not going to give Capcom much money per unit sold compared to how USF2 and MHXX were doing. (I forget the price for MHXX for Switch in Japan)

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I really thought about buying it for my Switch, but I have it for other platforms already. I should pick it up at some point though.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
That's pretty good for digital only versions of the Revelations games. Do we know what the PS4/Xbox One release of Revelations 1 did? That came out around the same time.
Edit: Oh just remembered there was a physical release outside of Europe.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty decent if it did around 200k. It didn't release physically in Europe at all, and Revelations aren't particularly popular in Japan.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Ouch. I was going to get it in December but never got around to it, still considering picking it up. Hope this doesn't discourage them from investing into other RE games on the console.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
What's the bar for success though? These are ports of old games and they are not even the highest-profile games to release (compared to other ports like Skyrim or DOOM).

Nosgotham

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Were y all expecting 500k or something? They are late ports to mediocre games that can be found on any platform

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care for Rev 1, but was kind of tempted to get Rev 2 on Switch but the file size was just too big for me to consider. I'm not desperate enough for Switch games to buy a big memory card for something like this.

ReadyorNot

Jan 6, 2018
Well, I did my part in buying RER 2. It sucks because I think they did a good job with the ports on Switch.

Last edited:

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I don't think that's fair at all, Rocket League, Stardew Valley, Minecraft, Skyrim and a few others I'm surely forgetting have done well to extremely well.

True but that list of games are of significantly higher relevance, in today's gaming culture. Skyrim is an all-time great and the other 3 some of the highest profile indie games ever. RER 1+2 is just kinda there.

Edit: I realize Minecraft doesn't qualify as indie anymore but my point about relevance still stands.

Oct 25, 2017
Only had 1 month in Capcom's reports. I believe Capcom said they wanted 300-500k per port on switch.

It was such a bad choice for a port.
All Nintendo owners last gen had access to the first game.
They also chose to port the worst mainline RE games that were already portable which makes it lose a selling point.
Would've bought a portable port of 4, 5, or even 6. The last two haven't been on Nintendo nor on the go

It's also a late port of a late port. Was out on PS4 a few months before

HPH

Oct 25, 2017
A number of things were working against this collection on Switch. Revelations 1 & 2 aren't all that exciting, there were more appealing 3rd party offerings available in the same month, the lack of a physical release on Europe and the required SD card + Download for Revelations 2. It doesn't seem like a good result at all and I hope it doesn't the determine the future of Resident Evil on Switch. I can't help but feel that RE4 or REmake would have done a lot better.

LOCK

Oct 25, 2017
For 1.5 months of release that's pretty decent if true. The cost couldn't have been that high. Plus RE games have decent legs.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
To be fair they were pretty pricey and they were old games where one of them was originally a 3DS game that you can get for very cheap.
If you want portable re revelations, a cheap 3DS is probably a better option considering the price discrepancies.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a good thing, a bad thing or just a thing?

on a side note, I literally just bought the game today (like 30m ago) because I had a credit that's going to expire tomorrow.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I liked both of them, but they didn't really feel like games I "needed" to replay just yet, and I really don't like being forced to download a game. I probably would have bought a Resident Evil 4 port even though I own it for so many platforms already.

I wonder what their expectations were.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
RER1 I get but I'm kind of surprising for RER2.

Shame too, RER2 is pretty fantastic.

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame because Revelations 2 is great in handheld mode. The gyro aiming is great.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
yeah this doesn't surprise me for a lot of the reasons already mentioned in this thread.

Real poor job of promoting it is what stands out to me. I had friends who didn't even know it was a thing.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
If it's indeed 200k, it honestly did better than I expected lol

But I think the actual sales are lower.

Edit: 150K? yeah that seems more about right lol

Fourth Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Just not alot of excitement regarding those two games. If they had found a way to port Resident Evil 7, I have a feeling the results would have been different.

Nosgotham

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I bought revelations on 3ds and loved it mainly due to the raid mode. I bought the port on WiiU as well. I might pick up RE Rev 2 if it was physical. My SD card space is too valuable to download 20 gigs or whatever.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am indifferent to this news.

I'll give a shit when Capcom does.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
eh didn't buy it for switch as I have it on my xbox already. I would of bought it if it was a main installment.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Bought the first one. Was fun while it lasted. Kind of wish I spent it on another game though. The bosses were all sort of terrible but the horror factor was all right. 60fps and hd rumble resi on portable was nice tho.

And Jill's butt too.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Is this a good thing, a bad thing or just a thing?

on a side note, I literally just bought the game today (like 30m ago) because I had a credit that's going to expire tomorrow.
Just a thing really. Selling an extra 200k copies of an older budget game is great for Capcom. Revelations 1 was released on PS4 and Xbox One around the same time as this and also doesn't seem to have left much of a mark though I can't find any concrete sales data. These ports are just a nice extention of the initial sales.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I knew I was NOT going to buy the first game again after getting the 3DS version. I even enjoyed Mercenaries. I'll be honest I was annoyed that the second game skipped the 3ds and the Wii U as well. As a result I stopped caring about that game long ago. I honestly saw no reason to buy either of these ports.

Capcom has yet to get any of my money on the Switch and likely won't until a damn Monster Hunter appears and not that rushed XX. I have Generations on the 3ds.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Ahh, that kind of a shame! The ports are actually pretty good! Motions controls are very nice!

Raids mode alone for each games was well worth it for me and my girlfriend!

Status
Not open for further replies.