• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Was this the one with the terribly awful gay stereotype in it, or was that a different Xbox RPG I'm thinking of?

EDIT: I think I'm remembering some other game.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a very special game but I never got to finish it due to the console transition. I loved it despite it running like shit on the PS3, so this port really interests me for the improved technical aspects.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeell, I'm so getting this. Always wanted to play this.

... Project X Zone kinda got me curious about quite a few titles, so I guess it did its job.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I played quite a bit of this game, but never got to finish it.

I would buy a remaster day one.

Oct 29, 2017
This was a game I never beat, but I remember doing battles over and over just to wrap my head around the battle system. It'll be a good chance to try and finish it.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be all over this, it's one of the games in my backlog that I keep meaning to get to but something always results in me deciding to play it another time.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how it is weird? A huge amount of their games are like this now. Shenmue III, Rez Infinite, Wonder Boy stuff, Streets of Rage 4, etc. SEGA's just really open to allowing others to tackle their IP if it collides with their schedule somehow or whatever. Hell, like half of their games were not even published by SEGA in Europe just a few years ago (Deep Silver handled those).

It kind of concerns me though, I feel like the current SEGA West staff would market this game extremely well. I also think this means that it will likely not be the super inviting $20 price point that their PC ports typically are.

That is a good point to consider, all things considered, they would market the title along with a $20-$30 price tag depending on it being digital or physical (I'd take a physical copy with a poster or some decals).

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Kinda weird to see so many complaints about the combat.

The only thing that took some time for me to understand was the tri attack.
If you don't pay attention to the tutorials, it can be a bit obtuse and counterintuitive. Things like normal movement and attacks being a desperate last resort, or the hero run pushing you closer to death every time you use it, are not what you'd expect going in. The turn system is also really unique, and gives some unusual options. So I can see how it is hard to learn at first, and can take a while to master.

The combst system is absolutely beautiful to behold once you understand it, though. I loved every battle. I don't normally rebuy games I already own and have completed, but this is tempting.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
It tells you all you need to know bout Segas faith in the Resonance of Fate IP that tri-ace is publishing this remaster

Not that I'm comolaining about it all, it's just funny

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Do people think this can come to Xbox1 and Switch too ?
I want it to sell as much as possible and let's dream get a sequel.
This game gives me a sour taste. I'm generally a fan of RPG's more than anything else, and it's the genre I favour by far. I also quite like several of Tri-Aces games.

Yet I gave up on this game quite quickly. Like really early. I just didn't get the battle system. Like at all. The tutorial arena right at the beginning was too hard for me.

Obviously I missed something, and it did make me feel somewhat inadequate. I just couldn't make heads or tails of the combat, and promptly gave up
That's one of the reasons it's great.
No ridiculous hand holding and casual difficulty like 90% of the games supposed to be for "gamers".

It's really just about saving often and try.
There's nothing hard about the basics. Blue damage is strong but doesn't really hurt. Red damage is weak but permanently hurt.

The key is first to try to win only using the invincible attack (when the character runs straight to a chosen point). Then you add tri- attack, then normal ones and so on.

Very rewarding game when you dive enough. But can be frustrating on specific chapters. Mostly the 4 or 5, can't remember.

Last edited:

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I think it'll be on switch too, even if later and digital only. Hopefully on X1 too, even if it's BC.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DnD7MBKU0AAB_uu.jpg:large

Saving the best for last.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I have it in me these days to put another 100+ hours into this game, but I can't say I'm not tempted. RoF is a very, very special game and one of my favorite JRPGs of all time. Really happy to see it getting another shot on better hardware.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Put it this way. I got all the achievements in this game on 360 took me over a 100 hours. I still didn't grasp the battle system fully by the time I was done. Good game though.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
It tells you all you need to know bout Segas faith in the Resonance of Fate IP that tri-ace is publishing this remaster

Not that I'm comolaining about it all, it's just funny
It really does not. SEGA Japan have pushed this IP hard for years and years. Leanne/Reanbell especially has made cameos in about as many games in that timeframe as Sonic himself has.

SEGA's just not well equipped for releasing like 20+ games a year. It is super awesome that they allow so many projects to exist without their direct input.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
I think it'll be on switch too, even if later and digital only. Hopefully on X1 too, even if it's BC.

Nah. They would've been announced alongside it. It's not coming to either systems. This is going to follow the example of all the other Tri-ace games. Star Ocean 3\Star Ocean 4 came out on PS4\Steam, The Last Remnant is coming to PS4, Steam was removed but will be brought back. This is PS4\PC too.

It's simple, easy, and these games won't sell much anyway so digital only release and how they've done it thus far makes sense.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It really does not. SEGA Japan have pushed this IP hard for years and years. Leanne/Reanbell especially has made cameos in about as many games in that timeframe as Sonic himself has.

SEGA's just not well equipped for releasing like 20+ games a year. It is super awesome that they allow so many projects to exist without their direct input.

Pretty much, RoF was making cameos in games like PXZ and some of SEGA's other stuff.

Oct 28, 2017
idk if i should be happy or not

i didnt like the OG back then , and skipped it for a month or two , suddenly i get back to it and mastered it completely and got the platinum , it was a nice experience but it seems i played it first at wrong time somehow and affected my understanding of the game

Strawhat_Do

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the game on Ps3 ages ago and I wouldn't mind picking it up again. It was like playing a John Woo directed Rpg mixed with those who love fashionable type clothing.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird to see so many complaints about the combat.

The only thing that took some time for me to understand was the tri attack.

The problem is that the only thing you need to understand is the tri attack.

So you play the game, it is kind of hard and then a couple of hours in you "get it". Then you find a method that works...and repeat it exactly the same way ... for every single fight ... until the end of the game.
From this point, the game has no challenge, no variety, still no story and no payoff at the end.

So the best I can say about this game is that if you don't enjoy it because you don't understand it? Don't look up how to understand it, because this just ruins the game further.

If you are curious about this game, wait for a very steep sale. I can't recommend it all.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Nah. They would've been announced alongside it. It's not coming to either systems. This is going to follow the example of all the other Tri-ace games. Star Ocean 3\Star Ocean 4 came out on PS4\Steam, The Last Remnant is coming to PS4, Steam was removed but will be brought back. This is PS4\PC too.

It's simple, easy, and these games won't sell much anyway so digital only release and how they've done it thus far makes sense.

The Last Remnant is not a tri-Ace games... And limiting platforms doesn't make sense for increased sales at all. Depending on the resources behind this ie if tri-Ace is somehow publishing, it's probably just budget concerns.

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. YES.

Such a fun game. We small and devoted few who have played this game have wanted to come to PC for a long time now so it could reach a wider audience.

Seeing tri-ace games coming to Steam is good stuff. I wouldn't have picked SO4 first! But RoF is so good, and Valkyrie Profile's release on Android bodes well for a PC release for it too.

This is probably the only good tri-Ace game of the PS3/360 generation. lol

SO4 has... a certain charm to it. The characters and story are dumb as bricks, and in allot of ways the game feels like the worse side of a coin of a Tales of adventure, but it still has that tri-ace sheen to it. Also, and this may just be me, but I was really happy to finally get my goddamn space adventure. I felt profoundly ripped off by the marketing for SO3 as a kid.

Last edited:

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that the only thing you need to understand is the tri attack.

So you play the game, it is kind of hard and then a couple of hours in you "get it". Then you find a method that works...and repeat it exactly the same way ... for every single fight ... until the end of the game.
From this point, the game has no challenge, no variety, still no story and no payoff at the end.

So the best I can say about this game is that if you don't enjoy it because you don't understand it? Don't look up how to understand it, because this just ruins the game further.

If you are curious about this game, wait for a very steep sale. I can't recommend it all.

This often gets trotted out when the games discussed and its as bullshit now as it is every other time it gets trotted out. Saying all you need is tri-attack is like saying all you need in other MMO's is auto-attack i.e. it works but its certainly not the most efficient or fun way to use the combat system. But then again would it really be a thread on a game forum if someone wasnt complaining that a game was boring because they play it in a boring way?

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Wow! I can consider double dipping. I had a bit fun with the PS3 version but I wasn't really able to fully understand the mechanics so I completely dropped the game so this might be the time to revisit and learn how to play it properly.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This often gets trotted out when the games discussed and its as bullshit now as it is every other time it gets trotted out. Saying all you need is tri-attack is like saying all you need in other MMO's is auto-attack i.e. it works but its certainly not the most efficient or fun way to use the combat system. But then again would it really be a thread on a game forum if someone wasnt complaining that a game was boring because they play it in a boring way?

If it is trotted out often I would have thought you would have had a stronger response than "make your own fun". Beyond closing your eyes and imagining you are playing a fun game (which can also be achieved by not playing it), there is no other enjoyable way to play. The encounters are setup so that you just use the tri-attack and win. Doing anything else is completely pointless because a) it takes longer because you are fighting the same enemies but they have more health, b) isn't fun anyway c) leads to absolutely nothing.

Your MMO comparison is incredibly apt, because in other jrpgs at least you get a bit of story or character development to drive things along while you auto-attack through the random battles. In this case, and many a MMO? Your only reward for beating 100 battles is to get to another 100 battles. And also you get some clothes to dress up with I suppose.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I remember being put off by how overly complicated it looked when it came out, i didn't really pay much attention and moved on to other games. I'd be interested to check it out now though.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
there is no other enjoyable way to play
You 100% get your ass kicked if you only rely on tri-attacks. Not only that but battles goes on long enough that you can't get your bezels back comfortably to spam it. You also have to consider the defense of the enemy early on that careful movement through hero actions is much more important than an ill timed tri-attack that wields no results.

That and stages gets progressively more complex and you're bound to have your characters bonking on obstacles if the only thing you know up to this point are tri-attacks.

Your only reward for beating 100 battles is to get to another 100 battles.

The same thing could be said of every JRPG if you willingly sideline everything else that isn't combat. Bad faith argument.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I remember being put off by how overly complicated it looked when it came out, i didn't really pay much attention and moved on to other games. I'd be interested to check it out now though.
You'll need to watch some gameplay videos and the tutorials for it to make sense, it is one of the most unique and fun battle systems I've ever seen but if you don't know how it works the game is unforgiving to the point any random battle will crush you.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
This is in the list of games I classify as:
So few people played it, that the ones who did call it a masterpiece but it's actually far from it
  • Tokyo Mirage #FE
  • Resonance of Fate
are among those

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
This is in the list of games I classify as:
So few people played it, that the ones who did call it a masterpiece but it's actually far from it
  • Tokyo Mirage #FE
  • Resonance of Fate
are among those

I concede it's very flawed. Combat is complicated but doesn't get much more interesting once you have figured it out. And the main story's kinda dumb? But the character interaction is really what you should be paying attention to. The only other issue is a general lack of polish on difficulty. There are some nasty difficulty spikes in this game, including the very beginning of the game. The experience is so wildly different though that this one always appears near the top of my list of 'games to recommend for people who want to play a good RPG that's different from the norm'.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I concede it's very flawed. Combat is complicated but doesn't get much more interesting once you have figured it out. And the main story's kinda dumb? But the character interaction is really what you should be paying attention to. The only other issue is a general lack of polish on difficulty. There are some nasty difficulty spikes in this game, including the very beginning of the game. The experience is so wildly different though that this one always appears near the top of my list of 'games to recommend for people who want to play a good RPG that's different from the norm'.

Exactly, that's what makes it so interesting (same with Last Remnant). Both are games that I remember fondly despite their flaws and I always try to recommend them to others (but note their quirks).

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
ROF's combat formula doesn't change but even though it's an RPG I thought of it almost like a shooter, yes partially because you use guns but a lot of the encounters are like other shooter games where you have to wait for cover and find your openings and strategize around how the area is designed and the enemy types you face, etc. So you get the variety from how encounters are designed. In shooters the formula doesn't really change either, it's about encounter design. ROF does have gun customization though.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017

No it doesn't. It sells more on several platforms.
And it might come to Xbox1 and Switch later indeed.
Same as a lot of other games.

Valkyria Chronicles came and it's also Sega.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I couldn't get past the tutorial battles in this game on PS3. Tri-Ace games are always convoluted as hell.