• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I don't know too much details about it, but it sounds like a group of people all pitch in on a real estate project (like an apartment complex) and once the project is done you get the equivalent piece of the profits. Basically, an less costly way to get into real estate.

I don't know if there's a policy against posting specific service providers, so I'll post the investapedia article

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I don't know too much details about it, but it sounds like a group of people all pitch in on a real estate project (like an apartment complex) and once the project is done you get the equivalent piece of the profits. Basically, an less costly way to get into real estate.

I don't know if there's a policy against posting specific service providers, so I'll post the investapedia article

I have no opinion on that.
Personally I'd love to live in a housing co-op or co-housing. Joint ownership and a sense of community.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone in here has any opinions on real estate crowdfunding?
Also curious about this. Things like FundRise, RealtyMogul, and Rich Uncles and so on right? I've always liked the idea of investing into real estate or find a way to make more passive income aside from my retirement accounts or a side income. I just don't understand enough about it or really know if its worth the risk.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
Sp500 was up quite a bit this year. It's why the best thing to do many times is ignore the noise.

I'm expecting a pullback sometime in q1 2020 because the market has run hot since about October. This is always hard to predict but even in big years you can have big pullbacks too. 2019 a prime example. If you really want to know what is going on in the market watch earnings reports. This year was basically all multiple expansion on the market. Without earnings growth in 2020 to back this expansion up these levels can't hold. But if earnings beat the market can go higher. Still, there will always be some headline event that pulls the market down and this isn't when you run but typically the best times to add. For example, in February if Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders take the lead in the primary it will freak the market out. 2020 is an election year though so these are typically positive years and can be front loaded for first six months before the dip happens. So again, always factors to consider.

Dollar cost average is always an alternative too because if you set it up to buy often, you are then buying when the market is up and when the market is down. Don't forget to diversify either, because the international market is trailing the usa market but this may not be the case 10 years from now. We might be in the golden years of buying international stocks before they really take off.
This is irony. I'm not sure how you could write two such contrasting posts less than 3 hours apart.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
I think you'll still have to pay tax on any dividends while you're in the US, at a minimum. Not sure about asset growth, you'd have to look into more detail into how foreign trusts are treated. All I can say is all the advice I ever saw was to liquidate TFSAs before moving. You sounds like you're doing your research though, so you probably have more information now, and I've forgotten most of what I knew.

yes, taxes on dividends while filing in the US for sure - but that's minimal compared to capital gains.

Moving is complicated... Don't even want to think about what happens to my CPP etc.

OP
OP
TheTrinity

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
I would have to imagine that the easiest thing would be to just liquidate the TFSA while still in Canada since it would be tax-free. Then just reinvest that cash as USD into US investments once you've moved.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
I would have to imagine that the easiest thing would be to just liquidate the TFSA while still in Canada since it would be tax-free. Then just reinvest that cash as USD into US investments once you've moved.

That'd probably be the easiest - but also the least money-saving one. (since any cap gains from that point on would then be taxable in the US, and I still have many years of retirement savings ahead of me...)

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I was just able to put in my RRSP buy order this morning and wish it was just a biiit earlier to catch more of the exuberant rise in the markets going on.. Oh well..

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
This is irony. I'm not sure how you could write two such contrasting posts less than 3 hours apart.
Not really. Both can be true. You ignore the noise and you can take advantage of dips by buying them.

I'm also comparing two different things. The first being don't always believe headline news that the sky is falling to be too scared to invest. The second post being it's logical to expect a pullback after a big run, but I can say the market will pull back yet ultimately still go higher. Which is normal and expected.

Today is also a good day to not forget international stocks. Because while the usa stock market did well today, overseas went higher.

Last edited:

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone using the Vanguard app and knowledgeable about it? Or the Vanguard website? I want to see my return for last year.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone using the Vanguard app and knowledgeable about it? Or the Vanguard website? I want to see my return for last year.

On Android, tap the hamburger icon in the top left and select 'Personal Performance'. Then select 'Investment Returns' on the bottom. You can filter by ranges there as well.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
On Android, tap the hamburger icon in the top left and select 'Personal Performance'. Then select 'Investment Returns' on the bottom. You can filter by ranges there as well.
Thanks! I thought it would give me the rate of return but doesn't seem so. I'm happy with the screen you led me too. Appreciate it :)

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
So i increased my 401k contribution to 7%, employer does not match. Only does 3% of salary contribution at the end of the year. Meh.. I'll take it I guess, but it really isn't much.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
On the web, click on My Accounts, then Personal Performance. It has a graph, table and filters for dates and whatnot. Including Rate of Return that can be broken down:

"Rate of return*: 8.8%"

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
It shows the rate of return for me in the upper right corner of that screen. No problem!
Yeah, I've went to Personal Performance and I'm looking at the "Investment returns" screen and have the custom date set to 01/2019 to 12/2019. In the top right I see "Rate of return*" and under that where some percentage would be is just a straight line. I can't take a screenshot of that though or else I would post it here. Since 2019 was my first year investing and I put $6,000 in, I can technically get it myself but I'm confused why its not displaying like it should.
On the web, click on My Accounts, then Personal Performance. It has a graph, table and filters for dates and whatnot. Including Rate of Return that can be broken down:

"Rate of return*: 8.8%"
I actually don't see rate of return anywhere on there when I look at it on the web. I guess I can technically snip this one but don't know the best image hosting site to put this on. It doesn't really have personal information on it so I think it would be safe if I can find one.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've went to Personal Performance and I'm looking at the "Investment returns" screen and have the custom date set to 01/2019 to 12/2019. In the top right I see "Rate of return*" and under that where some percentage would be is just a straight line. I can't take a screenshot of that though or else I would post it here. Since 2019 was my first year investing and I put $6,000 in, I can technically get it myself but I'm confused why its not displaying like it should.

I actually don't see rate of return anywhere on there when I look at it on the web. I guess I can technically snip this one but don't know the best image hosting site to put this on. It doesn't really have personal information on it so I think it would be safe if I can find one.

Vanguard.png

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Odd. Are you sure you invested the money and it's not just sitting in your settlement fund?

My Accounts - Balances and Holdings - Click your IRA account - lines for settlement fund and investments are listed separately.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Bizarre. I don't have that section at all. Sorry, I don't know how to do that pixelated/mosaic look so I just scratched it out and tried to upload.
Capture.png

Odd. Are you sure you invested the money and it's not just sitting in your settlement fund?

My Accounts - Balances and Holdings - Click your IRA account - lines for settlement fund and investments are listed separately.
Yes, I'm positive. My settlement fund does have money in but that is leftover from not being able to buy another share of an ETF. Its less than $10 in the settlement fund. The rest of my money is spread across VTI, VXUS, and BND.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Bizarre. I don't have that section at all. Sorry, I don't know how to do that pixelated/mosaic look so I just scratched it out and tried to upload.
Capture.png

Yes, I'm positive. My settlement fund does have money in but that is leftover from not being able to buy another share of an ETF. Its less than $10 in the settlement fund. The rest of my money is spread across VTI, VXUS, and BND.

Did you do a custom view? I noticed I don't have the Rate of Return when I use a 'Custom' view.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Did you do a custom view? I noticed I don't have the Rate of Return when I use a 'Custom' view.
I did so I could specifically see until the end of December. But even when I go to the page and leave it as the default view "since inception", the only thing that is different is the values for investment returns and ending balance. Rate of return is still oddly not present where it should be according to your screenshot. Also tried messing around with various holding values to see if that would make it appear but still no dice.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
I did so I could specifically see until the end of December. But even when I go to the page and leave it as the default view "since inception", the only thing that is different is the values for investment returns and ending balance. Rate of return is still oddly not present where it should be according to your screenshot. Also tried messing around with various holding values to see if that would make it appear but still no dice.

How much history do you have?

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Literally just 2019. I started investing into the IRA with the first paycheck I got in 2019. Do you think I need to wait longer for it to be visible?

Maybe it needs a full year for it to be visible? I'm not entirely sure what triggers that stat to appear. I have history since 2015. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it needs a full year for it to be visible? I'm not entirely sure what triggers that stat to appear. I have history since 2015. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
No need for sorry at all. Thanks for taking the time to help me so much and replying so many times. I'll give it some time and see if its visible after a full on year after I've started investing.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Your issue is still bothering me, so I looked up their website:
  • "As of" date. Your personal rate of return and activity summary data is as of the last day of the previous month. This page is updated with new data by the third business day of each month. If, for some reason, the data is delayed, the previous month's figures will continue to be displayed until new figures are available.
  • Data not available.Due to the calculation method that Vanguard uses, personal rate of return data is not available:
    • If you're a newly registered participant.
    • For a fund, account, or portfolio if the balance was zero at either the beginning or end of the time period shown.
    • For money market funds at the individual holding level.
It's surprising to me that you don't have it displayed if you've been a client for almost a year.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Your issue is still bothering me, so I looked up their website:
  • "As of" date. Your personal rate of return and activity summary data is as of the last day of the previous month. This page is updated with new data by the third business day of each month. If, for some reason, the data is delayed, the previous month's figures will continue to be displayed until new figures are available.
  • Data not available.Due to the calculation method that Vanguard uses, personal rate of return data is not available:
    • If you're a newly registered participant.
    • For a fund, account, or portfolio if the balance was zero at either the beginning or end of the time period shown.
    • For money market funds at the individual holding level.
It's surprising to me that you don't have it displayed if you've been a client for almost a year.
It's surprising to me as well and seems more confusing given the possible reasons for data not available that you posted. I'll probably just have to call them sometime when they are open and that I'm not at the office.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Vanguard doesn't show rate of return for periods of under a year, or when setting custom dates.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I can't find a good year-review on Questrade, but according to my personal morningstar portfolio tracker I had ~19% personal return in 2019. Neato.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
Does Vanguard always put a 7 day hold on your new accounts? I want to convert my new traditional IRA into a Roth IRA and it won't let me do it (saying there are no holdings to convert). My bank has already been debited for the contribution and Vanguard even let me buy ETF shares with that money.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to leave this here because it is a YouTube page that updates every week looking at long term history of the stock market and noticing repeating trends in them. Every week the author takes a deep dive into different technical aspects of the stock market. I like this page because the author helps to keep my emotions in check when looking at investing. Which is a point he likes to hammer home quite a bit that the stock market doesn't really care what each of us individually think. He is always using technical data to showcase what potential returns could be over the period of five years, with emphasis on potential returns. He is not saying these returns are going to happen but the technicals are setting up well for this to happen, while also recognizing going from point A to point B will still be bumpy. If you ever want to learn a little deeper about the technical aspect they are fun weekly watches. If you don't care then just pass on these videos, though I do feel I am learning new things all the time watching these technical break downs.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone. One of my goals this year is to spend more time in taxable investments. I came across this concept of tax-managed funds, which basically focus more on growth and qualified dividends over taxable dividends. From the way I understand it, even if you aim to pay only long-term gains tax, you can be taxed on your reinvested dividends, cutting into your growth almost invisibly. But maybe that cut is worth it if dividend funds grow so much more to compensate. Does anyone have experience with these funds or can point me in a good direction to read more about whether or not they're worth it?

Additionally, in terms of general investing strategy, I'm in my late 20s and I'm not thinking about more property for at least a year or two. How risky should I be, given the current climate? I'm thinking 4 out of 5 on the Morningstar risk scale, but I could be convinced into doing a 3?

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone. One of my goals this year is to spend more time in taxable investments. I came across this concept of tax-managed funds, which basically focus more on growth and qualified dividends over taxable dividends. From the way I understand it, even if you aim to pay only long-term gains tax, you can be taxed on your reinvested dividends, cutting into your growth almost invisibly. But maybe that cut is worth it if dividend funds grow so much more to compensate. Does anyone have experience with these funds or can point me in a good direction to read more about whether or not they're worth it?

Not worth it, at least for the Vanguard funds.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to start by thanking everyone who assisted me in my thread a few days ago, it was much appreciated and I think I have researched enough to have a baseline understanding and start asking real questions.

So, for a clueless beginner, the generally agreed upon first step would be to start with a Vanguard index fund and start dumping money in? Based on what I've seen, your investment doubles in around 7 years given the average return rate and re-investing your gains to get compounding interest, correct? I've only had 401k going since I turned 30, for about 4 years now (and not nearly the income available to do like some are suggesting and max that out, that would be half my take-home pay). Basically I'm looking at being able to invest $10k a year, and I dont want to get too involved with the specifics because I will only do more harm than good, most likely.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Just to confirm, contributing to my Roth IRA is meaningless in terms of tax events, right? I'm obviously contributing post tax but I want to make sure that automatically reinvested dividends and so on do not matter when I file this year.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Is there a website that I could learn and practice doing option trading ? I level up to lvl 2 in Robin Hood and want to learn on how to trade options.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to start by thanking everyone who assisted me in my thread a few days ago, it was much appreciated and I think I have researched enough to have a baseline understanding and start asking real questions.

So, for a clueless beginner, the generally agreed upon first step would be to start with a Vanguard index fund and start dumping money in? Based on what I've seen, your investment doubles in around 7 years given the average return rate and re-investing your gains to get compounding interest, correct? I've only had 401k going since I turned 30, for about 4 years now (and not nearly the income available to do like some are suggesting and max that out, that would be half my take-home pay). Basically I'm looking at being able to invest $10k a year, and I dont want to get too involved with the specifics because I will only do more harm than good, most likely.

The trick is to set up a solid allocation that works for your risk tolerance and time horizon and then to automate it so that that your gross amount of income is reduced by w/e % make up 10K (or lower if you need to adjust).

This simple blog post changed my perspective and pushed me to get moving on this after I reduced my student loan balance close to 20K and refinanced it to 4% (because up to this point, I was all about just paying down the loan and investing at like 15% of gross income (or more accurately, I was only doing 13% + the 3% match from my company): https://fourpillarfreedom.com/the-math-behind-why-net-worth-goes-crazy-after-the-first-100k/

Seeing this illustrated with numbers really cemented the fact on how saving as much as possible early is the most important thing you can do. It could literally save you hundreds of thousands. I know people lived at home all to put a down payment on a starter home just a few years out of school. If I were them, I would have thrown all of that into IRA and maxing out 401K first and gotten head start on saving. This also comes into play on the renting vs buying discussion. People don't think about the opportunity cost of the house down payment and closing costs when making the monthly cost comparison.

I also researched lazy portfolios and looked through this thread as well for some ideas.

Last edited:

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
The trick is to set up a solid allocation that works for your risk tolerance and time horizon and then to automate it so that that your gross amount of income is reduced by w/e % make up 10K (or lower if you need to adjust).

This simple blog post changed my perspective and pushed me to get moving on this after I reduced my student loan balance close to 20K and refinanced it to 4% (because up to this point, I was all about just paying down the loan and investing at like 15% of gross income (or more accurately, I was only doing 13% + the 3% match from my company): https://fourpillarfreedom.com/the-math-behind-why-net-worth-goes-crazy-after-the-first-100k/

Seeing this illustrated with numbers really cemented the fact on how saving as much as possible early is the most important thing you can do. It could literally save you hundreds of thousands. I know people lived at home all to put a down payment on a starter home just a few years out of school. If I were them, I would have thrown all of that into IRA and maxing out 401K first and gotten head start on saving. This also comes into play on the renting vs buying discussion. People don't think about the opportunity cost of the house down payment and closing costs when making the monthly cost comparison.

I also researched lazy portfolios and looked through this thread as well for some ideas.
Reading your post makes me feel better about what I'm doing. I'm trying really hard saving for both retirement and a house down payment at the same time. Recently I've put a bit extra into Vanguard at the expense of slowing down my regular savings for the house. Guess all that compound interest will pay off in the end even if I end up buying a house a year or two later.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly to me, usually husband and I's base rate of savings is roughly 20k/year. Though when I checked the raw numbers for end of 2019, somehow that number became a mighty near-60k increase?! How happens?!

Compounding interest + market exuberance is a heckuva thing.

This isn't taking into consideration property appreciation in Toronto, which is also too hot to understand.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Interestingly to me, usually husband and I's base rate of savings is roughly 20k/year. Though when I checked the raw numbers for end of 2019, somehow that number became a mighty near-60k increase?! How happens?!

Compounding interest + market exuberance is a heckuva thing.

This isn't taking into consideration property appreciation in Toronto, which is also too hot to understand.

do you have them invested in ETFs?