Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
The SMS frequently letterboxes to reduce the effective res it's trying to deal with too. To the point that, zoomed, widescreen is actually sometimes the right choice.

Source : Have done a lot of capture with the SMS.

ploonkey

Oct 25, 2017

RetroTINK-5X Experimental Firmware

Your one-stop firmware shop for the entire family of RetroTINK devices

Version 3.93 does include enhanced S-Video on the Retrotink 5X and it is a bit better. Not sure what magic Mike used to do it, but he did it.

Aw man I hate being this guy lol But that's not the same branded capital 'e' "Enhanced S-Video" in the same way. Good to see it was also improved though.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I know this might be the wrong thread but it involves a retro console. I finally got my old consoles hooked up to my setup in a not optimal way but it lets me play them until I can get a Retrotink. My OG slim PS2 is acting up though. The controller I have has maybe an hour use on it but I bought it new on Ebay a few years ago. It worked fine then but now the D pad is half working (up and left don't work) and the triangle button doesn't work either. On PS1 games, it literally makes them unplayable. Thinking it was the controller, I went to a local store yesterday and bought a unopened OEM Dualshock 2 for $90. I got all excited to try it but unfortunately, it still does the exact same thing. So, I'm assuming it's the console that is messed up? I can switch controller ports and it still does it. Both memory cards work too.

I must stress about how awful the SNES looks on a LG OLED through composite (via a Denon receiver) and without a good scaler. Like I thought it might look OK but no, it looks horrendous. PS2 looks not too bad via component though.

Last edited:

zatsu_on

Mar 20, 2024
That's a really weird issue. Hope you can figure out a solution.

I have a question of my own, if this is the right place to ask. I'm looking for a cheap solution to capture PS2 footage. In terms of setup, I've got a OG fat PS2 and a retrotink 5x. I thought about maybe buying one of the older elgato capture cards as they're cheap and my iMac is stuck on High Sierra (I know, it's ancient but somehow still alive) so it would probably not be compatible with the never cards anyway.

Does anyone have any experience doing this and what to look out for? Got the PS2 hooked up to the TINK with a HD Retrovision cable if that makes any difference.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So yesterday I was playing my SNES on my Retrotink 5x and I changed the setting to Generic 16:9 and....I didn't hate it. I actually really liked it.

Does that make me a bad person? 😔

Oct 26, 2017
Hi Folks, was hoping for a little bit of advice.

I got myself a Retrotink 5x about a month ago and just got round to playing about with it now. I've been using it on an LG C3, which is also new to me.

I plugged my N64 into it and was playing about with the various resolution options. One thing that I noticed was that the scaling up to 1080p (IMO) looked better than scaling it up to 1440p (There was also a second issue that I'll speak about in a moment). I was just wondering if this was "normal" behaviour?

The TV is capable of outputting 4k, so it certainly can display a 1440p signal. However, am I correct in thinking that because 1440p can not be integer scaled to 4k (4k is 1.5x 1440p), this is the reason why it looks "blurry"? Since 1080p can be integer scaled up to 4k, and so it remains crisp, right?

Is there any way to get the C3 to display a 1440p signal without blur? And even if there is, would it just be a fruitless endeavour since the int-scaled 1080p signal is pretty much what I want anyway? Would appreciate some thoughts/guidance on this.

----

The second issue (Which depending on the answer to the first issue may end up not being a problem at all) was that when I ran the tink at 1440p resolution, I noticed the frame rate dropped pretty substantially.

Now, just as caveats to this I haven't yet updated the firmware of the Tink (just out of the box firmware right now) and I was also using a "standard" HDMI cable. Would either of these be responsible? I don't really know all that much about HDMI cables other than that there are multiple revisions for higher bandwith, and I'm pretty sure I don't have any of those lying around right now.

---

Finally, I saw that with updated firmware I can have the tink output 4k, but at 25fps. Frame-rate is a big deal for me, so I just wanted to get some opinions as to whether or not its worth using this mode? Obivously quite a few (PAL) N64 games run at sub 25fps anyway, but for pretty much every other console the games should be at least 30, so I'm not sure I really want to take the hit on that one (Especially if as I mentioned before it would end up looking pretty much the same as the 1080p signal)

Thanks for your help :)

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
am I correct in thinking that because 1440p can not be integer scaled to 4k (4k is 1.5x 1440p), this is the reason why it looks "blurry"?
----
I was also using a "standard" HDMI cable. Would either of these be responsible?
---
Finally, I saw that with updated firmware I can have the tink output 4k, but at 25fps. Frame-rate is a big deal for me, so I just wanted to get some opinions as to whether or not its worth using this mode?

Yes, you will always take a hit in image quality when displaying a non-native resolution on a fixed-resolution panel. How much of a hit depends on whether the scale can be integer scaled and how good the scaler in your TV is. I would stick with 1080p if the 1440p looks blurry, but I don't have an OLED so others may
have more advice as far as tweaking is concerned.

The HDMI cable probably has nothing to do with it. If your cable is not up-to-snuff for what you are trying to do, you will get black screens and picture drop-outs. You won't get blurriness.

I wouldn't play retro games with a 25fps limit but you could always play around with it if you're using a game with a really low framerate to begin with. I encourage you to update your TINK to the latest firmware. Mike is great about improving and enhancing his devices with updates.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Correct me if I'm wrong but 1440p should only look worse if the TV would use integer scaling but the C3 doesn't integer scaling afaik so this is baffling to me. I would update the firmware of the Tink and check again. 1440p should look better, it sure as hell does with every other system that I use on my C9.

Oct 26, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but 1440p should only look worse if the TV would use integer scaling but the C3 doesn't integer scaling afaik so this is baffling to me. I would update the firmware of the Tink and check again. 1440p should look better, it sure as hell does with every other system that I use on my C9.

Ill give it an update and see, but I think it will probably be the same.

Funnily enough, non integer scaling is something I have quite a lot of familiarity with from work. Basically, if you had two pixels coloured black and white, and scaled them on one axis by an int value of 2 you'll end up with 4 pixels: 2 black 2 white.

Regardless of what scaling algorithm you use, this will be the case. When you start scaling by non-integer numbers is when it starts to get funky.

So if you scale by 1.5, you're going to end up with three pixels, but the output will be different based on the algorithm:

Nearest-Neighbour - 2 black 1 white (or vice versa)
Bilinear filtering - 1 black, 1 grey, 1 white (The extra pixel is a blend of the ones it sits between)

So the problem im encountering is when the TV recieves the 1440p image and then tries to scale it up to 4k, which is a scale of x1.5.

Now, im presuming the scaling done by the TV is not nearest-neighbour as otherwise you'd get pixel jitter which is not what I see. Its probably using bilinear filtering or something similar to that where the values are interpolated to fill the "extra" pixels, which leads to the whole image looking blurry.

----

Dr. Zoidberg Thanks for that, just to clariy though - my question about the HDMI cable was to do with the frame rate not the IQ, but I presume its probably still not to blame. Ill get it updated sooner or later and hopefully that will address some issues

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Ill give it an update and see, but I think it will probably be the same.

Funnily enough, non integer scaling is something I have quite a lot of familiarity with from work. Basically, if you had two pixels coloured black and white, and scaled them on one axis by an int value of 2 you'll end up with 4 pixels: 2 black 2 white.

Regardless of what scaling algorithm you use, this will be the case. When you start scaling by non-integer numbers is when it starts to get funky.

So if you scale by 1.5, you're going to end up with three pixels, but the output will be different based on the algorithm:

Nearest-Neighbour - 2 black 1 white (or vice versa)
Bilinear filtering - 1 black, 1 grey, 1 white (The extra pixel is a blend of the ones it sits between)

So the problem im encountering is when the TV recieves the 1440p image and then tries to scale it up to 4k, which is a scale of x1.5.

Now, im presuming the scaling done by the TV is not nearest-neighbour as otherwise you'd get pixel jitter which is not what I see. Its probably using bilinear filtering or something similar to that where the values are interpolated to fill the "extra" pixels, which leads to the whole image looking blurry.

I think what raketenrolf was saying, comparatively, 1080p would only look better if the TV actually did integer scaling on 1080p but not on 1440p. Yes, 1440p, by pixel count can't be upscaled to 4k, but even though you can integer scale 1080p to 4k by the numbers, most TVs actually don't do a true integer upscale because they're focused on scaling tv/movie/video content.

I used 1440p when I can and don't find it objectionable, but I'm also one of those that don't find some softness in my scaling bad since I'm replicating my memory of non-high end CRTs when using the 5x, so the softness of the upscale with the addition of scanlines/CRT filter is already going to make it not a super sharp image because that's what I'm going for.

Oct 26, 2017
I think what raketenrolf was saying, comparatively, 1080p would only look better if the TV actually did integer scaling on 1080p but not on 1440p. Yes, 1440p, by pixel count can't be upscaled to 4k, but even though you can integer scale 1080p to 4k by the numbers, most TVs actually don't do a true integer upscale because they're focused on scaling tv/movie/video content.

I used 1440p when I can and don't find it objectionable, but I'm also one of those that don't find some softness in my scaling bad since I'm replicating my memory of non-high end CRTs when using the 5x, so the softness of the upscale with the addition of scanlines/CRT filter is already going to make it not a super sharp image because that's what I'm going for.

Maybe the scanline filter is a good idea, Ill try it out. Weirdly enough I can't normally get my head to sit right with them. Although I grew up on CRTs from anything between 13-20 inch, I feel like I always remember games through rose-tinted glasses. I don't really remember the scanlines or how they looked and whenever I see the filters now I feel it darkens the image too much. Oh well.

All in all it doesn't matter so much, I felt the 1080p image looked nice and crisp anyway so if I have to stick with that, so be it.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
Hi Folks, was hoping for a little bit of advice.

I got myself a Retrotink 5x about a month ago and just got round to playing about with it now. I've been using it on an LG C3, which is also new to me.

I plugged my N64 into it and was playing about with the various resolution options. One thing that I noticed was that the scaling up to 1080p (IMO) looked better than scaling it up to 1440p (There was also a second issue that I'll speak about in a moment). I was just wondering if this was "normal" behaviour?

The TV is capable of outputting 4k, so it certainly can display a 1440p signal. However, am I correct in thinking that because 1440p can not be integer scaled to 4k (4k is 1.5x 1440p), this is the reason why it looks "blurry"? Since 1080p can be integer scaled up to 4k, and so it remains crisp, right?

Is there any way to get the C3 to display a 1440p signal without blur? And even if there is, would it just be a fruitless endeavour since the int-scaled 1080p signal is pretty much what I want anyway? Would appreciate some thoughts/guidance on this.
I don't think the C3 uses integer scaling even with 1080p, though I can't say for sure. I know for certain that the C9 doesn't, but I'm not sure how much the scaling has changed for subsequent models. As for why 1080 still look better even if it's not integer scaled, maybe it's because less interpolation is needed for it? I'm really just guessing on that one.

If you are using CRT masks, however, 1440p does still has an advantage over 1080p since the masks can be a lot finer and more detailed. Otherwise, I'd just stick with 1080p.

The second issue (Which depending on the answer to the first issue may end up not being a problem at all) was that when I ran the tink at 1440p resolution, I noticed the frame rate dropped pretty substantially.

Now, just as caveats to this I haven't yet updated the firmware of the Tink (just out of the box firmware right now) and I was also using a "standard" HDMI cable. Would either of these be responsible? I don't really know all that much about HDMI cables other than that there are multiple revisions for higher bandwith, and I'm pretty sure I don't have any of those lying around right now.
The cable shouldn't have anything to do with the softness, but I'm not sure about the framerate changing. One thing that doesn't help is that 1440p doesn't always play well with certain TVs, which is why there are two different 1440p options on the 5X. Which 1440p mode did you select? What vertical sync setting did you use? For which system or systems has this happened?

Finally, I saw that with updated firmware I can have the tink output 4k, but at 25fps. Frame-rate is a big deal for me, so I just wanted to get some opinions as to whether or not its worth using this mode? Obivously quite a few (PAL) N64 games run at sub 25fps anyway, but for pretty much every other console the games should be at least 30, so I'm not sure I really want to take the hit on that one (Especially if as I mentioned before it would end up looking pretty much the same as the 1080p signal)

Thanks for your help :)
I should tell you that the 4K option was removed in a firmware update some time back. If you upgrade to the latest version, you'll be maxing out at 1440p. You can upgrade and downgrade to any firmware revision freely, so don't worry about changing your mind if you upgrade to the latest version.

It's not a major loss anyway. Since the refresh rate is halved, motion tends to look horrible with it. If you're playing a very slow paced game without a lot of movement, then it might be tolerable, but otherwise it's just not worth it. The limited utility of the 4K mode on the 5X was why it was eventually removed.

Maybe the scanline filter is a good idea, Ill try it out. Weirdly enough I can't normally get my head to sit right with them. Although I grew up on CRTs from anything between 13-20 inch, I feel like I always remember games through rose-tinted glasses. I don't really remember the scanlines or how they looked and whenever I see the filters now I feel it darkens the image too much. Oh well.

All in all it doesn't matter so much, I felt the 1080p image looked nice and crisp anyway so if I have to stick with that, so be it.
Scanlines on a real CRT could vary significantly in conspicuousness based on different factors like the specific tube used or how the display was adjusted. Older consumer sets tended to show them the least, while newer sets showed them more, and high resolution pro monitors like the PVMs and BVMs had the thickest scanlines of all. The same goes for the look of the tiny red, green, and blue phosphors that make up the mask or grille under the tube's glass.

Now in terms of brightness, real CRTs could be very bright even with scanlines. While modern displays can get far brighter, they tend to falter when you try to imitate that CRT look. Fake scanlines alone can virtually halve the brightness depending on how strong they are. It gets worse when you add a CRT mask on top of it and worse still with BFI in the mix.

Fortunately, there are some ways to mitigate the drop in brightness. The first is to experiment with the scanline settings as well as the gamma and color boost settings in the 5X's Post-Processing menu. This has some limitations though. With the former, ruducing the scanline effects lessens the CRT look and with the latter, extreme settings can distort the color or cause clipping.

The next thing you can do is turn up the peak luminace setting on the display itself to compensate (this is would be the OLED Light setting on LGs). This is great if your TV has enough headroom, but that isn't always the case. Further, most TVs limit their maximum brightness in SDR. The good news is the 5X has an HDR mode you can activate to get the maximum brightness out of the TV. The bad news is the 5X HDR implementation is very flawed due to limitations of the hardware, so certain colors can get distorted. I actually posted some pictures demonstrating this a little earlier in this thread if you'd like to see some examples.

The only other options are upgrading to the RT4K (very expensive) or using emulation on a PC (defying the point of using original hardware), though both of which at least have proper HDR support. I'm sorry to say there's no easy way around the brightness limitation with the RT5X, so you have to pick your poison should you want to emulate the look of a CRT.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Mamba cable for my Dreamcast and honestly seeing the Dreamcast this sharp on the Retrotink 5x I dunno how to feel about it. The dithering is pretty noticeable, the aliasing sticks out more and text looks ugly. It's crazy to say, but I'm wondering if I was happier with svideo.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Got my Mamba cable for my Dreamcast and honestly seeing the Dreamcast this sharp on the Retrotink 5x I dunno how to feel about it. The dithering is pretty noticeable, the aliasing sticks out more and text looks ugly. It's crazy to say, but I'm wondering if I was happier with svideo.
You're not crazy. I ran my ps1 digital through the tink 4k and I and up using some horizontal blur to make it look closer to what I remember. I actually like how it looks through composite through the tink 4k. That's how I really remember it looking.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
So I've caved for a RT5X because the 4K is just prohibitively expensive (especially in Europe), is there any recommended profiles for each console on a non-OLED display available online?

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Found a nearly brand new Samsung CB 5361AT CRT but can't find any info about it online. Would take it if I knew if it supports NTSC/60hz, it would be useless for me otherwise. It's a long shot but is there someone who knows something about this TV?

Guybrarian

Jun 23, 2018
Aw man I hate being this guy lol But that's not the same branded capital 'e' "Enhanced S-Video" in the same way. Good to see it was also improved though.

Seeing your conversation here made me update my 5x and I'm really glad I did. I have Saturn and N64 hooked up through s-video and it was a very noticeable improvement. Saturn looks fantastic. I've always felt its been a little fuzzy and thought I needed to upgrade to RGB. Not anymore.

I saw on twitter some examples of the 4k's enhanced s video vs rgb on super nintendo and it was indistinguishable.

Guybrarian

Jun 23, 2018
I'm curious this forum's thoughts on the Pixelfx morph? I've been interested in it for a while. I'm familiar with the drama surrounding it, but there are 0 reviews. Voultar did a 3 hour livestream of it that I don't have time to watch but he wasn't impressed. He also hates the company. Apparently it has been getting updates? I can't trust reddit because any post becomes a fanboy battle. I already have tink 5x, but I'm looking for something with hdmi input for switch, vita tv, and wii u. 720p on my Lg tv looks like hot garbage, hence my interest. I have a Marseille Mclassic and it ain't it. I've looked into the photofast 4k but I'm not sure. I'd also have to daisychain it with the Mclassic.
The tink 4k is out of my price range, but the morph is available at Stoneage Gamer, where I can stack some coupons and credit.
Anyone have any opinions on it?

ploonkey

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks that there's no reviews but there's at least 2 big reasons for that:
1) the drama led to a lot of the big content creators (a bunch of which got free RT4Ks) to side with Mike
2) the product in its current form isn't considered reviewable in its limited form. Missing the analog inputs is huge. I've heard MLiG, DF, Epos Vox and Wobbling Pixels, are all waiting to review it until the analog bridge is out.

As far as HDMI goes, it sounds like the Morph is pretty capable. It's close to half the price of RT4K, but also missing like half the features, big ones too like HDR10 and profile saving/loading. The HDMI direct modes also don't work yet with some of their own GEM products, but there's updates on their beta branch. Also, I think if you're using HDMI devices, you probably don't need to worry about the deinterlacer still needing a lot of work.

It sounds like a functional product with some promise, especially if you're bought into their ecosystem. But you also might need to be patient with their development, depending on what you're looking for from the device.

aggeaf

Apr 29, 2024
I'm gonna be honest. I don't understand why people shell out the insane amounts for the new retrotink. Small improvments for a big price.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I'm gonna be honest. I don't understand why people shell out the insane amounts for the new retrotink. Small improvments for a big price.

For me the appeal would be the CRT simulation aspects (scan lines, detailed shadow masks, etc.). 4K + HDR makes a big difference in those and really helps recapture that CRT look on a modern display. But my primary retrogaming display is a 1080p plasma so I don't need anything more than the Tink5X (yet).

Guybrarian

Jun 23, 2018
It sucks that there's no reviews but there's at least 2 big reasons for that:
1) the drama led to a lot of the big content creators (a bunch of which got free RT4Ks) to side with Mike
2) the product in its current form isn't considered reviewable in its limited form. Missing the analog inputs is huge. I've heard MLiG, DF, Epos Vox and Wobbling Pixels, are all waiting to review it until the analog bridge is out.

As far as HDMI goes, it sounds like the Morph is pretty capable. It's close to half the price of RT4K, but also missing like half the features, big ones too like HDR10 and profile saving/loading. The HDMI direct modes also don't work yet with some of their own GEM products, but there's updates on their beta branch. Also, I think if you're using HDMI devices, you probably don't need to worry about the deinterlacer still needing a lot of work.

It sounds like a functional product with some promise, especially if you're bought into their ecosystem. But you also might need to be patient with their development, depending on what you're looking for from the device.

Thank you for this! I appreciate the objectivity of your insight and for taking the time to respond.

Ramsiege, if I remember correctly one of the main guys at PixelFX went on discord and took shots at Mike Chi, essentially accusing him of gouging people because the Retrotink4k was so much more expensive than the Morph. Mike Chi has earned a lot of respect in the community for his work as well as his openness and transparency (you can probably ask a question on the retrotink discord and he'll be the one to respond). So understandably it didn't go over well when PixelFX was slinging mud. This has been compounded by the lack of actual footage of the morph and it shipping in an incomplete state.
All that being said I'm still interested in the morph if it can deliver on its promises. I need the hdmi inputs and I don't need all the advanced features of the retrotink4k

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the explanation. Definitely shady to put down another product to try to boost your own, especially when the creator of said product is at the forefront of the retro scene. There's enough space for both in this market. I personally thought the 4K was a bit too rich for my blood, so I got the 5X secondhand in the BST thread here instead and I'm very happy with that purchase. More competition is always a good thing though.

ploonkey

Oct 25, 2017
In PixelFX's defense, Dan (citruspsi) talked shit about Mike because he felt like Mike and all the content creators always trolled them (I guess it started with the GEM DRM stuff)

And what Dan said has been used as a, what seems like a lifetime free pass to troll PixelFX constantly.

PixelFX deserves a lot of criticism for the way they roll out their products and their own choices. But it getting to where it's been the last year doesn't give me hope that things will be resolved anytime soon.

And it sucks because right now PS1 GEM's direct mode is in limbo where PixelFX says it not working with RT4K is a Mike problem, and Mike says it's a PixelFX problem. So people who have both lose because the owners don't get along.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I personally would never buy such a product with DRM so PixelFX is out of question for me.

But there's also the OSSC Pro, don't know how well that works though or if it is even out already.

720p on my Lg tv looks like hot garbage, hence my interest.

For your desired use cases, I'd say the Morph would be the lowest-cost, best performing scenario.
It seems like a competent 4k scaler and will, hopefully, continue to improve over time.

Keep in mind that 720-1080p source resolutions may or may not live up to your expectations when upscaled to 4k.
I personally think it looks decent enough, but not game-changing.

Small improvments for a big price.

Not sure what small improvements you're talking about or what you're comparing it to here, but rest assured, it's a fantastic product if you use it to its full potential.

Apart from that, Mike has been putting out new firmware updates, generally, on a biweekly basis that has brought constant improvements. You're also paying for all that work now and in the future.

Last, viewed from a wider lens, it's been said many times that the price of a RT4k is nothing compared to actual professional A/V equipment that does a lot less for a lot more.

ploonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I personally would never buy such a product with DRM so PixelFX is out of question for me..

The thing I never understood about everyone's reaction to PixelFX rolling out 2 tiers for the GEM is…would people even have complained if they just continued to offer their HDMI mods at $180-200 like they had been before the GEM? People loved PS1Digital, DCDigital, and N64Digital at those prices.

But since they offered a lower cost path, where the margins aren't enough to fund firmware development so you get less features… they end up getting shit on.

On one hand, I know DRM/paywalling feels icky. I totally get it. But I can't help but wonder if they would've just been better off not even attempting to give people more price options.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I personally can't wait to (hopefully) get a Tink 4K when the next batch is up. I have a 77" LG CX so why not get that one instead of the 5X. Plus I have 5 consoles ready to plug up to it.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The thing I never understood about everyone's reaction to PixelFX rolling out 2 tiers for the GEM is…would people even have complained if they just continued to offer their HDMI mods at $180-200 like they had been before the GEM? People loved PS1Digital, DCDigital, and N64Digital at those prices.

But since they offered a lower cost path, where the margins aren't enough to fund firmware development so you get less features… they end up getting shit on.

On one hand, I know DRM/paywalling feels icky. I totally get it. But I can't help but wonder if they would've just been better off not even attempting to give people more price options.
Yep. If they only had the higher priced option they probably wouldn't have gotten any flak at all. It's really silly.

Oct 7, 2019
I personally would never buy such a product with DRM so PixelFX is out of question for me.

But there's also the OSSC Pro, don't know how well that works though or if it is even out already.

OSSC Pro has been out for a few months now, actually just sold out of its second batch. As for how well it works, I'm a big fan of it but I'd like the usual youtubers to do some coverage on it to show it off a bit - obviously it's not as fully featured as the Tink4k, but I really think it's a great mid-range scaler.

Speaking of the OSSC Pro, I just had the "Extra AV Out" card come in the post which is used to connect it to a CRT for downscaling. Had a little play around with it, connected up my Steam Deck to play Celeste on it in 240p, was dead impressed. Don't really know how to take pics of a CRT but here's an attempt anyway of my JVC TV:

h2wobwky.jpg

Vertigo1

Jun 30, 2023
PSA Mike just announced on Discord the next batch of RetroTink 4K units will go up for sale May 18th at 1pm Pacific.

I think it should be relatively easy to get one now. The last batch lasted over an hour and a half before selling out, should be even longer this time.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
PSA Mike just announced on Discord the next batch of RetroTink 4K units will go up for sale May 18th at 1pm Pacific.

I think it should be relatively easy to get one now. The last batch lasted over an hour and a half before selling out, should be even longer this time.
On Twitter he said he expects stock to last a day.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
So for the past few years I've made my fully BC PS3 my home for playing PS2 games. I've long held the model as the definitive way to play PS2 games thanks to its smoothing feature, wireless controller, unlimited memory cards, native HDMI signal and - once jailbroken - perfect hard drive compatibility. Said jailbreak also allows one to keep the system cooler at the expense of more noise, which no doubt has helped starve off a YLOD.

However in recent times - especially after watching PS2 videos on YouTube - I've noticed on PS3 games seemed... softer, blurrier even. This remains the case even when turning Smoothing off, which can give the impression of a softer image due to smoothing aliasing in both polygon and texture detail.

So I decided to dig out my PS2 and hook it through the Retrotink 5x to do some direct comparisons. I had a hunch it could be deinterlacing, so I decided to compare the various methods on the 5x to my PS3 image. It was through this that I discovered the PS3 seems to use blend deinterlacing, resulting in the noted softer image in 480i games. I then plugged my PS2 component cables into the PS3 and swap off HDMI to the 5x and set the PS3 to 480i, only to discover a near identical image even with Motion Adaptive Deinterlacing. This makes me to think the PS3 always blend deinterlaces 480i games, and with the system set to 480i it just re-interlaces that image which is such a silly decision if that's the case.

As nice as the smoothing filter is on the PS3, this forced blend softness is just a touch too much for me. That would leave progressive scan games, but the smoothing filter doesn't work on those on the PS3. On top of that the PS2 now has controller adapters for wireless controllers and the Memcard Pro 2, so I'm officially switching back to the PS2. I just wish OPL had perfect compatibility - especially because my PS2 is having a harder and harder time to read my physical collection. Even after cleaning the lens and adjusting the laser screw it still takes 25 seconds for it to read a game.

Tito did a video on a 3DS capture mod. Looks like the hardest parts are trimming the inside of the rear shell and cutting a hole for the USB-C port. It's nice that it adds USB-C charging to the 3DS so you don't need to use a separate charging cable while capturing footage.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F23h90RRqfo

While this is a cool mod I'd love to do with one of my 3DS consoles, I hope people never, ever underestimate those awful ZIF connectors.
They are so incredibly easy to permanently break. You can do everything correct and still accidentally break them.

And if you break one of those in the wrong spot, good luck ever getting your 3DS to function again.
It requires basically every ribbon cable on the board to be properly seating before booting up.

If you couldn't tell, I've had some traumatic incidences with the ZIF connectors....

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
While this is a cool mod I'd love to do with one of my 3DS consoles, I hope people never, ever underestimate those awful ZIF connectors.
They are so incredibly easy to permanently break. You can do everything correct and still accidentally break them.

And if you break one of those in the wrong spot, good luck ever getting your 3DS to function again.
It requires basically every ribbon cable on the board to be properly seating before booting up.

If you couldn't tell, I've had some traumatic incidences with the ZIF connectors....
On one hand it's great that the new 3DS is so modular and that so many individual parts can be easily replaced. I've had to do this for the shoulder buttons and the face buttons at one point for one of mine and it was great to be able to just plug them in after grabbing them from a broken system. On the other hand I've broken the connector for the circle pad on two consoles now, and while soldering it directly to the board isn't too troublesome, actually finding out where to solder to was an exercise in frustration.

aggeaf

Apr 29, 2024
For your desired use cases, I'd say the Morph would be the lowest-cost, best performing scenario.
It seems like a competent 4k scaler and will, hopefully, continue to improve over time.

Keep in mind that 720-1080p source resolutions may or may not live up to your expectations when upscaled to 4k.
I personally think it looks decent enough, but not game-changing.

Not sure what small improvements you're talking about or what you're comparing it to here, but rest assured, it's a fantastic product if you use it to its full potential.

Apart from that, Mike has been putting out new firmware updates, generally, on a biweekly basis that has brought constant improvements. You're also paying for all that work now and in the future.

Last, viewed from a wider lens, it's been said many times that the price of a RT4k is nothing compared to actual professional A/V equipment that does a lot less for a lot more.
You can get something like an GBS controller for 1/15 of the price and for me the improvments of the RT4K over that is not 15 times better. For that price and seeking that clarity I would just emulate instead.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
So this is a very specific question that I'm not sure if anyone has an answer to, but does the PS2 and OG Xbox allow for simultaneous audio out? I'm interested in connecting them to my receiver via toslink to get surround sound formats, while still outputting audio through RCA to the Retrotink for streaming purposes.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
So this is a very specific question that I'm not sure if anyone has an answer to, but does the PS2 and OG Xbox allow for simultaneous audio out? I'm interested in connecting them to my receiver via toslink to get surround sound formats, while still outputting audio through RCA to the Retrotink for streaming purposes.
Yes, both systems should output audio simultaneously through Toslink and RCA.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Really hope this gets back into stock soon. I contacted them and they said they are in the middle of restructuring:

gamescarestore.com

6 in, 2 out Automatic Component Switch - GamesCare

A compact 6 input, 2 output automatic switch for component video (YPbPr) and composite video, with stereo audio. Clean, crisp video output.

I only need 5 inputs. But my current box is 3. It's one of those cheap $20 ones. I'm surprised almost no one makes component switches over 3. Except GComp but those 8 ports are like $300.

Really hope this gets back into stock soon. I contacted them and they said they are in the middle of restructuring:

gamescarestore.com

6 in, 2 out Automatic Component Switch - GamesCare

A compact 6 input, 2 output automatic switch for component video (YPbPr) and composite video, with stereo audio. Clean, crisp video output.

I only need 5 inputs. But my current box is 3. It's one of those cheap $20 ones. I'm surprised almost no one makes component switches over 3. Except GComp but those 8 ports are like $300.

I own this - the RCA inputs can be stupidly finicky, but I'm guessing if you have it in an easily accessible location that doesn't get a lot of movement, it'll be fine. Gravity is also not your friend with this switch - the RCA jacks will come loose.

For me, seems like I have to troubleshoot an input almost every time I use it.

If it could figure out a more stable/solid input method, this would be a great device otherwise!