Jan 2, 2018
Feeling like a dunce for opening and playing my games now lol 🤦‍♂️💀

Picked up last year sealed for $25:
M04WxpQ.jpeg

Today:
NNnpdkK.jpeg

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
Dumb question, but does anyone find things at yard sales anymore?

For years, I was finding video games for next to nothing and accumulated a decent collection. But I just had the thought come up that the last thing I found were two guitar hero guitars last summer and that's it.
Just wanted to mention that my town does a yard sale event every year that I will sometimes get up early to drive around and check out. The last time I had success was 2019 when I found 2 mint GBCs for $10, a Wii U pro controller for $5, a Dreamcast and a "broken" Genesis for free (that I later repaired). It was the luckiest I've never been and will likely never be repeated again.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Never do buy it now listings, except for exceptional price. I always wait for auctions, even if it means to wait a year (save searches, get notifications). You can easily save a lot of money. Don't buy into the fomo.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I participated in a charity yard sale this weekend where I put a handful of "junk" SNES and Genesis games (mostly sports and fishing) out that I wanted to get rid of. All were less than $10 each I and priced them at 50% Price Charting value + $1, so basically a bargain but not so much of a bargain that they would be worth a quick flip to a local dealer. The SNES games all sold quickly, whereas the Genesis games sat there all day and I ended up taking them back home. Just thought that was interesting, since it was basically the same type of games on both at around the same values.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
You can still find games at Thrift Stores, Yard Sales, etc.

I think the big thing to remember is if you go that route, consider the price more than anything else. No, you probably aren't going to find a copy of Rule of Rose for $5 bucks but you might find some decent stuff still for FAR cheaper than the usual price.

A good example of this is when I went Thrifting recently and found Tetris, Ms. Pac-Man, Centipede, and Tomb Raider:LR all CIB for $2 each. These aren't games I necessarily had high on my list of wants but were titles I would absolutely play at that price.

IMO, it's more about finding a good deal than finding that BIG haul when you go to such places and that alone can be a lot of fun.
In some ways, I kinda prefer building up a collection that way. Adds a bit more character as there's more story to tell in the copies you run into.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Feeling like a dunce for opening and playing my games now lol 🤦‍♂️💀

Picked up last year sealed for $25:
M04WxpQ.jpeg

Today:
NNnpdkK.jpeg

Will be interesting to see what happens with a lot of these 360 titles.
As stuff like this is the REALLY obvious tell that it's people just buying stuff up over any actual demand imo.

I don't see anyone but ACTUAL completionists paying more than $50 for a lot of the games that have jumped really high in price as of late.

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone explain what's happening with the PSIO. I'm reading it , but I'm kind of confused.

View: https://twitter.com/Voultar/status/1787544746862551136

It's just the latest twists and turns in the whole PSIO saga, following the Lite Menu (https://github.com/danhans42/lite_menu) and ps-iowned stuff (https://github.com/ps-iowned/ps-iowned) not even a year ago. Basically the latest twist is that if you want to sell your PSIO, cybdyn wants money. I don't know why anyone wanted to support cybdyn after all this BS.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
in related news, installing an xstation this week.

reading that thread, someone commented:

"I just transferred and payed [sic] nothing. It does state if buying from one of their legit vendors (stone age gamer) then no fee is required. For me it plays the games I want to play. If not simply burn a game and do it that way. Simple."

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
As stuff like this is the REALLY obvious tell that it's people just buying stuff up over any actual demand imo.

I don't see anyone but ACTUAL completionists paying more than $50 for a lot of the games that have jumped really high in price as of late.
I'd be shocked if Fatal Inertia wasn't someone trying to manipulate the market. Going from $20 to over $100 in less than a month is absurd.

yA2V1UD.png

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'd be shocked if Fatal Inertia wasn't someone trying to manipulate the market. Going from $20 to over $100 in less than a month is absurd.

yA2V1UD.png

Yep, especially when there's no "actual" demand for the game.

In the sense that it's not a title a big youtuber drew a ton of attention to or a title in the catalog with a lot of actual interest.
It's a neat little thing that's decent for fans of the genre and not much more, so it's a bit ridiculous to see.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018

Yeah these kinds of prices for games of this ilk just seem like they're from a whole other dimension from regular players and collectors.

Historically quality doesn't really go hand-in-hand with rarity and demand, eg. Sculptor's Cut for the N64, but seeing it happen in fast-forward with what seems like a bunch of high-stakes gamblers rushing in to buy up stock of rare-ish games at these nutty prices is just wild. Seems like such a crapshoot, predicting what titles might retain that kind of value moving forward. Feels like there's probably a sub-section of speculators out there just trading things around.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up a Derby Stallion Saturn for cheap. Seller said it was not working. I told them to send it over anyway. Got the system, immaculate condition. Turns out the power button itself was bad. Got that fixed up and One of my grails has been obtained. Now to get a Satiator, already did the FRAM mod to it.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yeah these prices for games of this ilk just seem like they're from a whole other dimension from regular players and collectors.

Historically quality doesn't really go hand-in-hand with rarity and demand, eg. Sculptor's Cut for the N64, but seeing it happen in fast-forward with what seems like a bunch of high-stakes gamblers rushing in to buy up stock of rare-ish games at these nutty prices is just wild. Seems like such a crapshoot, predicting what titles might retain that kind of value moving forward. Feels like there's probably a sub-section of speculators out there just trading things around.

I think with 360, a lot of this stuff will go down. Maybe not to historical lows but definitely not in the realm it's currently in.
Lack of Xbox collecting interest and these titles not really having a reason for collecting will probably play a part in that.

Since as you said, quality doesn't necessarily impact price but in the case of say Sculptors Cut, wanting a full collection of N64 makes more sense than anyone bothering with that on 360. Similar to why something like Devil's Third on WiiU is likely to stay higher in the future than a lot of this current gambling going on. Smaller libraries make more sense to have those crap games at a high price.

No "regular" player is going to pay $100+ for Infernal to keep that as the standard lol

Quiggling

Apr 1, 2023
Georgia, USA
I got a Trinitron KV-24FS100 from a seller a few towns over who said it looked "a bit off" in the top corner for 30 seconds then stopped and that was all its problems. It's actually got odd bowing in several places, horribly slanted, (can be adjusted on a regular menu but it's never quite right) and it looks off in general. Menu's in several games were uneven and squiggly across my retro setup, Sega Tower of Power (all), Saturn, NES, and YUCK the VCR. It didn't come with a remote, so I ordered one to see if I can get in the service menu and reset it to factory. Great sound quality, at least. But absolutely everything looks worse across the board.

My tried and true Zenith is back in the setup.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I got a Trinitron KV-24FS100 from a seller a few towns over who said it looked "a bit off" in the top corner for 30 seconds then stopped and that was all its problems. It's actually got odd bowing in several places, horribly slanted, (can be adjusted on a regular menu but it's never quite right) and it looks off in general. Menu's in several games were uneven and squiggly across my retro setup, Sega Tower of Power (all), Saturn, NES, and YUCK the VCR. It didn't come with a remote, so I ordered one to see if I can get in the service menu and reset it to factory. Great sound quality, at least. But absolutely everything looks worse across the board.

My tried and true Zenith is back in the setup.
Sadly Trinitrons don't always live up to the hype. Condition is king with CRTs. A little bowing on the sides is typical for flat screens but from all those issues it sounds like the yolk been knocked out of position and might need physical maintenance, especially if the picture is still slanted at the extremes of the user-menu image rotation.

Initializing settings from the service menu probably won't do much to fix that as CRTs were always carefully calibrated by technicians before leaving the factory, so the ideal settings are very unique to each set.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So few things I learned today that apparently Rubber cement thinner works wonders for carefully removing stickers on game cases. Anyone have experience using it? It's a tad pricey but if it works it might be worth the price to get nasty stickers.

Secondly...does anyone have any experience or recommendations as far as at home disc resurfacing machines go? I have some discs that either don't work at all but I've been hesitant to get rid of or have trouble working flawlessly (audio slips) and would love to fix them.

Been eyeing up this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SU6UZT...d=1TDFDC01VYPMV&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_ys_dp_it

but not sure if anyone here had any experience with this or other at home repair machines.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
So few things I learned today that apparently Rubber cement thinner works wonders for carefully removing stickers on game cases. Anyone have experience using it? It's a tad pricey but if it works it might be worth the price to get nasty stickers.

What kind of stickers? Goo Gone is just as good at removing residue from stickers

Stickers on cardboard is another story

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Lighter fluid is my go-to for sticker removal. Seriously.

L336uPw.jpeg
xV2zkbK.jpeg

Saturate the sticker a few times, giving it about a minute to dry in between, and it reactivates the adhesive. Butane evaporates faster than alcohol and doesn't make ink run. Safe to use even on cardboard slipcovers or insert art, as long as you be careful not to saturate the paper itself.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

L336uPw.jpeg
xV2zkbK.jpeg

Saturate the sticker a few times, giving it about a minute to dry in between, and it reactivates the adhesive. Butane evaporates faster than alcohol and doesn't make ink run. Safe to use even on cardboard slipcovers or insert art, as long as you be careful not to saturate the paper itself.
Wow, this is the first I've heard of this method. Gotta give it a try. Got tons of awful stickers like those glued to covers and manuals.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I like using "Un-Do" removal thinner. Works really well BUT when cleaning carts you have to be careful with the actual label.

Cleans lithos and amaray cases lickety split though

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Wow, this is the first I've heard of this method. Gotta give it a try. Got tons of awful stickers like those glued to covers and manuals.
Yep! I've used it to remove dozens of old dry stickers from slipcovers and insert art. Just go slow and keep applying until it's easy to take off with your fingernail, then clean up any adhesive left behind with some more Q-tips.

I'd be cautious with the thin, porous nature of instruction manuals. It won't make ink run, but it will wrinkle and distort paper like any liquid if it saturates beyond the sticker.
I like using "Un-Do" removal thinner. Works really well BUT when cleaning carts you have to be careful with the actual label.

Cleans lithos and amaray cases lickety split though
Un-Do relies on Heptane, while lighter fluid is Butane, very similar.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017

L336uPw.jpeg
xV2zkbK.jpeg

I remember seeing someone use this method to remove a game boy label from a destroyed cart to place on a new shell.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I remember seeing someone use this method to remove a game boy label from a destroyed cart to place on a new shell.
That works too. I used it to move the Halo 3 beta invite sticker over when I did a case swap on my copy of Crackdown. Wasn't perfect but it got the job done.

hOkgFPf.jpeg

The only stickers I've run across that it doesn't work well on are the sealed ones you find on sports games, or those insane security stickers with multiple layers of foil, or the giant circular Microsoft Employee Store stickers that are like hot-glued onto the case. There's just no material for the butane to saturate.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Gamestop putting the stickers on the actual artwork was the craziest shit and really just highlighted how little they actually cared about the products they sold. I stand by that a large reason the US Retro Market sucks is due in part to how they handled the used market.

Funny enough, I recall complaining to corporate about it and soon after noticed they stopped sticking them on the spine (Would instead just slide the sticker onto the spine without actually sticking it on).

All the stickers didn't even make sense a lot of the time, as there were 3 different stickers showing the price.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
(Would instead just slide the sticker onto the spine without actually sticking it on).

Don't know how much of that came from corporate since a store near me was doing that, then switched back to directly to the spine. When I asked about it found out that just some of the normal staff decided to do it the non destructive way but then was instructed by the store manager to go back to directly to art.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Don't know how much of that came from corporate since a store near me was doing that, then switched back to directly to the spine. When I asked about it found out that just some of the normal staff decided to do it the non destructive way but then was instructed by the store manager to go back to directly to art.

Ah, might've been a case of the district manager for my area seeing the complaint and agreeing with me that the damage to the spine wasn't needed.
Shame a store manager wouldn't see the value in that.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Gamestop putting the stickers on the actual artwork was the craziest shit

They did it to prevent scammers from peeling price stickers off and moving them around, and then complaining at the register when it didn't ring up the right price. A lot of kids would engage in such practices. Only way to prevent it is to put the sticker directly on the artwork to make it much harder to move or peel off. I'm not defending it. Just explaining the logical reason why it was done.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
So here I am still arranging my Retro gaming room and I just LOST my black GameCube memory card, I saw it in that room, I live alone, so nobody enters that room, and I can't find it anymore, the grey one was there in the last place I saw it but the black one...

I moved everything, looked in all the drawers, in spaces between furniture and nope, totally missing... And no, it's not on the GameCube nor the Wii

Sooooo... Any GameCube memory card you guys can recommend? SD GameCube memory cards exist?

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
So here I am still arranging my Retro gaming room and I just LOST my black GameCube memory card, I saw it in that room, I live alone, so nobody enters that room, and I can't find it anymore, the grey one was there in the last place I saw it but the black one...

I moved everything, looked in all the drawers, in spaces between furniture and nope, totally missing... And no, it's not on the GameCube nor the Wii

Sooooo... Any GameCube memory card you guys can recommend? SD GameCube memory cards exist?

Have you checked your gamecube game cases? They have a little slot for the memory card and I know I found mine in one when I thought I list it before. Funny that I put it there to make sure I would remember where it was.

Ah, might've been a case of the district manager for my area seeing the complaint and agreeing with me that the damage to the spine wasn't needed.
Shame a store manager wouldn't see the value in that.

Who knows, could have also been a mandate at a later time. Policies seemed to change on whims, but also went from having like 10 gamestops in the area that were different brands before to like 2 now.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gamestop putting the stickers on the actual artwork was the craziest shit and really just highlighted how little they actually cared about the products they sold. I stand by that a large reason the US Retro Market sucks is due in part to how they handled the used market.

Funny enough, I recall complaining to corporate about it and soon after noticed they stopped sticking them on the spine (Would instead just slide the sticker onto the spine without actually sticking it on).

All the stickers didn't even make sense a lot of the time, as there were 3 different stickers showing the price.
There used to be an ebgames(Canadian equivalent of GameStop) back in the day that I used to do my game buying from. They would put a plastic wrapper case sleeve around the game case and place the sticker on top of that. They would also replace the cases with good condition official ones. It helped me build up my Xbox/ps2/GC collection when I was a fairly broke student.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Have you checked your gamecube game cases? They have a little slot for the memory card and I know I found mine in one when I thought I list it before. Funny that I put it there to make sure I would remember where it was.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you are a life saver, it was on the Smash case, I totally not remember putting it in there

Now I'm going to back up this thing....

lampeater

Oct 27, 2017
One of the mods just posted a bunch of NES games and a controller over in the BST thread for anyone interested:
www.resetera.com

Buy/Sell/Trade Thread | Read the New Rules in the OP | Scammers Suck

WTS I inherited this box of old NES games [+ whatever that controller thing is], cannot be bothered to sell them separately. Some with box, some with booklet, can provide more pictures if need be. $200 + postage Will accept, UK PSN code, Apple Pay, Venmo or PayPal ff. :) Feedback 1, 2...

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

I see you found it but may I recommend the MemCardPro GC from 8Bitmods. https://8bitmods.com/memcard-pro-gc-for-gamecube-jet-black/ More should be in stock soon I believe, also probably at StoneAgeGamer.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you are a life saver, it was on the Smash case, I totally not remember putting it in there

Now I'm going to back up this thing....

lol. Think it's better to not remember why you put it there than to remember after finding it that you put it there specifically so you wouldn't lose it.

ploonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Been refurbishing my controllers recently. Won a 99 cent auction for a lot of broken og Xbox controllers and included was this weird thing, I've never seen before. Tested it and it works just fine, including the screen which is used for loading/deleting button map presets.

lLr759K.jpeg

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Been refurbishing my controllers recently. Won a 99 cent auction for a lot of broken og Xbox controllers and included was this weird thing, I've never seen before. Tested it and it works just fine, including the screen which is used for loading/deleting button map presets.

lLr759K.jpeg
Wow, the hell is this thing called? It looks like something out of the original Fallout games.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The thing that's weird about the current 360 price increases is they feel so random and a ton of games that I would think should have increased in this boom haven't.

As people have mentioned it's like a lot of the increases are driven by speculators who haven't missed/aren't aware of a lot of games.

For example, games I would have thought would have boomed a lot more by now given what's going on:
  • Wolfenstein 2009 - Delisted, not backward compatable, and delisted from Steam for years. Still like $20 at most.
  • Project Sylpheed - Not backward compatible, no ports anywhere else, niche anime space flight game. Still $15.
  • Alpha Protocol - Not backward compatible, delisted on console and Steam, Obsidian RPG, Still $15.
  • Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, delisted on console and Steam, Not backward compatible. $20-25 (To be fair this one is starting to go up a bit)
  • Anarchy Reigns - Platinum game, not backward compatible, no PC port, still like $12
  • I'm also surprised that the versions of the Batman Arkham games with all DLC on the disc are still like $5 tbh.
Etc. It's like speculators are going game by game and just haven't hit these hit or something.
Why i got Syndicate

Oct 26, 2017
Am I crazy or did Project Sylpheed just disappear entirely from ebay in the last two days? Also Full Auto, and Bomberman Act Zero lol

this is madness

I picked this up at a car boot sale last year and it was worth about £5 so I decided to just keep it out of curiosity. No idea why it's gone up in value. Is this another online store closing thing?

FWIW there are several copies on eBay (UK), cheapest appears to be £25

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The 360 market stuff is mad annoying. Definitely just speculators at this point trying to get ahead of the curve compared to PSN I guess.

Think they're gonna be in for a rude awakening that the interest won't be as strong there as ps

lLr759K.jpeg
That's awesome, always thought this thing was cool. Remember reading about it in a magazine.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox 360 market has officially jumped the shark.

Why is Dark Messiah and Blue Dragon $50 games now
At the end of April Dark Messiah was a $15 game. I've never seen anything like this.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Xbox 360 market has officially jumped the shark.

Why is Dark Messiah and Blue Dragon $50 games now
At the end of April Dark Messiah was a $15 game. I've never seen anything like this.
It really feels like a massive market manipulation attempt. Bloody hell, do I hate scalpers or investors or speculators or whatever they call themselves these days.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
It will settle itself out, PS3 had a similar rush

If you have been in the game this long you should be familiar with how things work since covid

If you weren't buying Dark Messiah for $15 you aren't buying it for $50, don't fall for fomo...

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It really feels like a massive market manipulation attempt. Bloody hell, do I hate scalpers or investors or speculators or whatever they call themselves these days.
I dunno. I can see that for titles that carry some weight and some brand recognition like Pokemon but like who in the flying fuck cares about Operation Darkness and Onechanbara except the specific niche of people who already likely bought those games at or near launch.

I don't see how your making any significant money manipulating the second hand market for really niche titles like that.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017

If you have been in the game this long you should be familiar with how things work since covid

If you weren't buying Dark Messiah for $15 you aren't buying it for $50, don't fall for fomo...
This reminds me a lot of what happened with the PS2. You had all these hidden gem videos and people would rush out to buy those games. At least a lot of these games are still available digitally. You can go buy Blue Dragoon on the Xbox digitally for $7

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Drakengard 3 is a good example of this.

Recall that one went up quite a bit and then settled back down to the 20 range after