OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It really feels like a massive market manipulation attempt. Bloody hell, do I hate scalpers or investors or speculators or whatever they call themselves these days.

I dunno. I can see that for titles that carry some weight and some brand recognition like Pokemon but like who in the flying fuck cares about Operation Darkness and Onechanbara except the specific niche of people who already likely bought those games at or near launch.

I don't see how your making any significant money manipulating the second hand market for really niche titles like that.

I think there is some manipulation going on, however said Manipulation isn't going to work here.
Xbox collector base isn't there like the other platforms and these titles that are shooting up absolutely won't be holding that value for most.

This just screams of people trying to get ahead of the Xbox Shutdown thinking it'll bring them a gold rush when it won't.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit miffed since I actually want Eternal Sonata and am (possibly permanently) leaving the US at the end of the month. I prefer spending a bit more on shipping once this settles down a bit.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I am getting really strong FOMO vibes similar to when the 3DS eshop went down.

Those prices are much more normalized now compared to March of 2023.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Dont get the panic buys tbh. People could have played those games for literal years when they cost close to nothing. Also, panic buying stuff for the sake of having it "just in case" you might play it one day (you probably won't) is wasting money.

I would rather save the money and buy some personal holy-grail type of thing where you know you'll get something out of it for a long time. Even if it costs you 200€ or more (whatever the personal limit is).

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So decided to pop in one of my recent acquisitions. Nightmare Creatures for the PS1. Specifically the Japanese version.

I've never played Nightmare Creatures before and was pleasantly surprised to realize most of the game is in English.

Really enjoy the cover art for the JP version of the game. Its just so sick looking!

PXL_20240509_002526489.jpg

So I dunno if this is too of an out of pocket reaction to the game but my first impressions were basically "Oh, this is bloodborne if they made it during the PS1 era" And its kind of sick? Played through the first two levels to get a taste of it. Absolutely going to put this one on the shortlist to beat soon.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah its funny when people see Nightmare Creatures for the first time. Play it and enjoy good games

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
Really enjoy the cover art for the JP version of the game. Its just so sick looking!

That's really neat cover! I mentioned how the second one has really nice art on the manual but the actual cover sadly sucks some time ago.

www.resetera.com

Retro Game Collecting |OT| Tips, Tricks, and Discussion on those Dusty Gems OT

I got a few new games in the past weeks, but forgot to post them. Here's a couple interesting ones though. First we have Enemy Zero, a game I've been wanting to play for a long time. Sadly someone has taped the out sleeve, but otherwise it's in a great shape luckily. This Nightmare...

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
can one person really change prices anymore? i remember the guy who did the Rampart GBC thing YEARS ago, but curious. I was thinking of buying all available Warlocked GBC for a month to see what happens but i cant really afford too lol

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Some more stuff since I'm a maniac who can't stop.

GNK3M7sWEAQq5tc

GNK3MlVXQAAEn7f

demi

Oct 27, 2017
can one person really change prices anymore? i remember the guy who did the Rampart GBC thing YEARS ago, but curious. I was thinking of buying all available Warlocked GBC for a month to see what happens but i cant really afford too lol

Absolutely, if a popular name or even youtuber makes a video that can cause a spike. Phantom Dust got a spike due to some video for a small period

www.youtube.com

The Xbox's forgotten masterpiece

🚨 Phantom Dust Happy Hour is HAPPENING RIGHT NOW: http://twitch.tv/babylonian 🚨This video is sponsored by Buyee! New users can get ¥2,000 off their first p...

Quiggling

Apr 1, 2023
Georgia, USA
So decided to pop in one of my recent acquisitions. Nightmare Creatures for the PS1. Specifically the Japanese version.

I've never played Nightmare Creatures before and was pleasantly surprised to realize most of the game is in English.

So I dunno if this is too of an out of pocket reaction to the game but my first impressions were basically "Oh, this is bloodborne if they made it during the PS1 era" And its kind of sick? Played through the first two levels to get a taste of it. Absolutely going to put this one on the shortlist to beat soon.
I'll raise you a Japanese version of Mr. Bones!
wApNyoT.jpeg

Quiggling

Apr 1, 2023
Georgia, USA
Oh, btw, today I got 1st place in Daytona USA on the Saturn for the first time in my life. Today I sucked marginally less at a game I have always loved.

Cathode Ray

Mar 30, 2024
NYC

It is absolutely a proto-Bloodborne and also yea it is absolutely fantastic yea. Might legit be the most underrated game on the PS1 which has really stiff competition in terms of hidden gems.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Those boxes look so nice. Did you just buy them or had them in your library already?
The Japanese used to be so much better on average with their box art. I really recommend collecting some cover art books. The name isn't coming to me at the moment but they make books with the covers of the games from old consoles. It's fun to flip through

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Those mother 2 vinyls from mondo look nice but I swore myself off buying video game vinyls but ended up grabbing it and the jammin Sam miller secret of mana vinyl

mondoshop.com

MANA (Secret of Mana Recreated) 2XLP

Mana Wave Media is proud to present their first original: MANA: A Secret of Mana recreation by Jammin' Sam Miller! Featuring licensed art from Mana series artist Hiroo Isono and brand new artwork from Cathy Kwan (Symphony of Zeal, Mondo's Shazam) adorning a gatefold jacket in gold foil alongside...

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Surprised to found out that Castlevania: Curse of Darkness is far more expensive on PS2 than Xbox.

Wonder why? Would be odd if there was more Xbox copies than PS2 copies. My only guess is that since Lament didn't come out on Xbox, people want to keep their consoles in the same "family".

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised to found out that Castlevania: Curse of Darkness is far more expensive on PS2 than Xbox.

Wonder why? Would be odd if there was more Xbox copies than PS2 copies. My only guess is that since Lament didn't come out on Xbox, people want to keep their consoles in the same "family".
I know that curse specifically used to be insanely cheap on both until the castlevania tv show came out.

Just as surprised as you honestly!

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

Not sure why but speaking of Curse of Darkness, does the PS2 version also show the same artifacts at the top of the screen as the xbox? I'm assuming CRT overscan is meant to mask that, but it is super obvious when playing the xbox version through hdmi.

NinjaLooter

Banned
Oct 1, 2023
Why the fuck is Lost Odysset 40USD now? lol

Is there a rush of buying Xbox 360 games due to the marketplace closure? Aren't these games available digitally from the Xbox One upwards?

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to grab an in box Sega Saturn. My 2nd one that I've bought as I have another grey one but I couldn't resist the box is so pretty. 😍

GNVunwxWsAA_cTt

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017

PS2 almost always more expensive it's just a more popular console overall.

Silent Hill 2 PS2 is like $150 while Xbox version despite arguably being the better version is only sitting at around $50.

demi

Oct 27, 2017

It's because its on PS2, there are several similar scenarios where the Xbox version is cheaper

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yea thats probably it. I bought lament cause of the box art and was so disappointed with it. Also I find people just prefer ps2 versions in general. It's rare that the Xbox version commands more despite usually probably having less copies in the wild

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
That box looks CLEAN! How's console that came with it?

Its pretty nice for the most part there was a little bit of corrosion around the controller ports so I dropped it off at my local game shop since they do repairs as well and said they would clean it up for me.

Oct 26, 2017
This weekend the sun was shining and I was feeling somewhat hopefuly about the Saturday car boot sale.

I was quite pleased with myself, managing to grab a backwards compatible PS3 (Which works! Even better) and this thing, a big box copy of Resident Evil 3 for PC!

clVLBwq.jpeg

My friend grabbed a PS2 and a couple of bits and pieces that weren't too interesting, but was pretty bummed out that he'd missed a load of stuff. We'd seen some DSs get snatched up and quite a few other things that would have been nice to have, but considering how busy the sale had been this weekend he didn't really have all that much to show for it.

That was utill I found out he was the best kind of liar.

Behold what was bought for a grand total of £50

atsz5LM.jpeg

Also not pictured that was included: Metroid Fusion, N64 Transfer pak and 2 PSPs with chargers. The NES classic game is Zelda 2

Absoultely mad. The whole lot is probably around £500 in value!

And because I gave him half the saturn games from a month ago, he gave me half the GBA games! So I walked away with Boktai 2, Zero Mission, Tactics, Links Awakening and Golden Sun - He took the rest! These were all games I wanted to add to my list but were probably a bit too pricey for me to pick up (whilst saving for other things) - probably the find of the year!

Oh boy does it feel good to have friends :)

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
This weekend the sun was shining and I was feeling somewhat hopefuly about the Saturday car boot sale.

I was quite pleased with myself, managing to grab a backwards compatible PS3 (Which works! Even better) and this thing, a big box copy of Resident Evil 3 for PC!

clVLBwq.jpeg

My friend grabbed a PS2 and a couple of bits and pieces that weren't too interesting, but was pretty bummed out that he'd missed a load of stuff. We'd seen some DSs get snatched up and quite a few other things that would have been nice to have, but considering how busy the sale had been this weekend he didn't really have all that much to show for it.

atsz5LM.jpeg

Also not pictured that was included: Metroid Fusion, N64 Transfer pak and 2 PSPs with chargers. The NES classic game is Zelda 2

And because I gave him half the saturn games from a month ago, he gave me half the GBA games! So I walked away with Boktai 2, Zero Mission, Tactics, Links Awakening and Golden Sun - He took the rest! These were all games I wanted to add to my list but were probably a bit too pricey for me to pick up (whilst saving for other things) - probably the find of the year!

Well done to you and your friend.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

clVLBwq.jpeg

atsz5LM.jpeg

That nemesis looks rad. I didn't know the CG art was so detailed. That would make for a good display piece!

That gba haul is sweet too. Karma paying off in the best of ways

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Spent two days searching for a Y-Splitter so I can use my Guncon 2 for some lightgun games and now the damn thing won't calibrate properly. My Guncon 1 worked great on my PS1 games so I don't know what the issue could be. I'd rather not have to get a new controller.

Did get some Fighter and Shmup action in today.

GNa424rXcAARdNr

rustyra24

Jul 6, 2018
So few things I learned today that apparently Rubber cement thinner works wonders for carefully removing stickers on game cases. Anyone have experience using it? It's a tad pricey but if it works it might be worth the price to get nasty stickers.

Secondly...does anyone have any experience or recommendations as far as at home disc resurfacing machines go? I have some discs that either don't work at all but I've been hesitant to get rid of or have trouble working flawlessly (audio slips) and would love to fix them.

Been eyeing up this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SU6UZT...d=1TDFDC01VYPMV&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_ys_dp_it

but not sure if anyone here had any experience with this or other at home repair machines.

Thing works surprisingly well when you figure it out. I have only had to use the sand paper four times. I use meguiars ultimate compound it's cheaper and works way better.

Oct 26, 2017
Just in case anyone is interested, the Retrotink 4k is set to come back in stock May 18th. Claims he expects this batch to last a little longer than previous and not sell out immediately.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
A few small random pickups I got in the mail on Friday. The main target was getting the manual for FF Special. I now only have 1 AES game in my (small) collection that is missing a manual (World Heroes 2 Jet). I decided to throw in a few Taiko no Tatsujin that I didn't own in the order and I also grabbed Dynasty Warrior because I've always been curious to try (and as you can see by the price it was cheap).

AP1GczOtZ4V4zAL3IEMHTzLw_tz9FA43W2Wcu6D1J44dd6vEc-4dbBZh9qZsnjc8-050qmJKwQ6sQuSadpVnwQU4cfRzxqRs8gvh-Mwlm9bnhTk8C7gxU_Q=w2400

Hehe, nice a pelican fight stick. I still have two of those lying around (1 I modded for arcade use before the existence of JVS2USB). I've been thinking of getting rid of them for space but didn't think anybody would still use them.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
A few small random pickups I got in the mail on Friday. The main target was getting the manual for FF Special. I now only have 1 AES game in my (small) collection that is missing a manual (World Heroes 2 Jet). I decided to throw in a few Taiko no Tatsujin that I didn't own in the order and I also grabbed Dynasty Warrior because I've always been curious to try (and as you can see by the price it was cheap).

AP1GczOtZ4V4zAL3IEMHTzLw_tz9FA43W2Wcu6D1J44dd6vEc-4dbBZh9qZsnjc8-050qmJKwQ6sQuSadpVnwQU4cfRzxqRs8gvh-Mwlm9bnhTk8C7gxU_Q=w2400

Hehe, nice a pelican fight stick. I still have two of those lying around (1 I modded for arcade use before the existence of JVS2USB). I've been thinking of getting rid of them for space but didn't think anybody would still use them.
That Pelican stick honestly isn't that great but I do like that it works on all three consoles from that generation. I really should get a modern stick since they seem pretty cheap these days.

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I just found out today that there is a Rockman Cart Racing game on PS1 in Japan along with ports of Rockman 1-8 on the PS1 and now I feel the need to get all of them. lol

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
That Pelican stick honestly isn't that great but I do like that it works on all three consoles from that generation. I really should get a modern stick since they seem pretty cheap these days.
They were never good but were popular long ago because they were easy to modify before cheaper custom sticks became a thing. That is why I have the ones that I do. I'd 100% go with getting a modern custom stick and just finding converters for older systems.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

clVLBwq.jpeg

atsz5LM.jpeg

My word, those GBA games. You double-checked that none of them are fake carts? I always check the ones with the US ESRB rating logo because there used to be so many fakes sold on eBay like that (probably still are).

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Its pretty nice for the most part there was a little bit of corrosion around the controller ports so I dropped it off at my local game shop since they do repairs as well and said they would clean it up for me.

Sounds good to me. aside from having to replace capacitors or the laser pickup once in a blue moon, these Sega old consoles seem quite resilient.

I've recently finished recapping my Japanese consoles and installed a region-free BIOS while at it too. Should serve me well into my retirement or until I keel over 😄

Oct 26, 2017
You really robbed that guy, huh? lol Amazing haul nonetheless.

The funny thing was, he had a lot of other stuff that was significantly overpriced (For a car boot sale anyway). We asked him if he had anything else afterwards and he said he had some gamecube stuff that was on eBay. Guess some people just have blind-spots

My word, those GBA games. You double-checked that none of them are fake carts? I always check the ones with the US ESRB rating logo because there used to be so many fakes sold on eBay like that (probably still are).

Truth be told I haven't actually looked through the carts yet, but only Tactics was ERSB, all the others were UK prints and the wear on the boxes looked appropriate for age. Some of them even have price stickers on the back from where they've been bought second had for about £5 each

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I just found out today that there is a Rockman Cart Racing game on PS1 in Japan along with ports of Rockman 1-8 on the PS1 and now I feel the need to get all of them. lol
Rockman 7 isnt on the PS1. 8 was always a PS1 game though fyi (and better on the Saturn, PS1 is missing two boss fights)

But 1-6? Those are the complete works games. Great ports. Next to a RGB modded Famicom its the best looking versions (in my opinion), and there's some great extras like the new soundtracks (especially for 4-6), extra options, and Pocket Station Support. Ive got them all twice over (once as individual releases, and once as the PS1 "Books" releases that are part of a big boxset)

The CW games did sorta get ported on the PS2/Xbox and GC as the Anniversary collection, but the port job is sloppy, the graphics look weirdly smudged, and its got audio issues + missing a bunch of options from the PS1 versions, so not as good.