• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017

Jon Verrall is leaving Retro Studios after 2 years. This suggests that the project is at the tail-end of development.

It's happening, folks!

giphy.gif

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
or maybe he found other work and moved on from what he did at Retro and the work is still ongoing?

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
or maybe he found other work and moved on from what he did at Retro and the work is still ongoing?

Considering almost every western studio's (including Retro despite being owned by Nintendo) employees work on contractual basis and you don't move on until your job is done, nah.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Can some insider confirm that Retro isnt falling apart? Please, we havent seen a new game from them in over four or five years.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Oh dear, this must mean that Retro's project is in trouble! Retro is doomed!!! /s

In all honesty I don't think this really means anything. People join and leave companies all the time for various reasons we aren't privy to. Unless this person is more significant than I realise, I don't think we should be holding our breath for anything.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
You can't design a cinematic experience if there is no world, characters, soundtrack, etc.

Just saying!

Oct 26, 2017
Oh dear, this must mean that Retro's project is in trouble! Retro is doomed!!! /s

In all honesty I don't think this really means anything. People join and leave companies all the time for various reasons we aren't privy to. Unless this person is more significant than I realise, I don't think we should be holding our breath for anything.

I mean, he's the lead writer for the studio so that's fairly important.

This is a lot less important than Stephen Dupree (Retro's lead game designer) leaving back in September, but he's still at an important position.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a lot is pointing to Retro's game being revealed at E3. This guy was the lead writer. He came in and did his job and moved on.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to his LinkedIn profile, he's only worked at Retro for the last 2 years. It might hint that their next title contains a lot more (any?) story than Donkey Kong Country Returns.

DDayton

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, this is rather tangential, but I am left wondering...

Did any of the mass migrations of Retro folks ever lead to largely positive results for those who left?

(This is not an example of a mass migration -- I'm just curious, and the concept of folks leaving Retro came up.)

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they enjoyed the barbecues.

May we finally get the game's reveal and may (more importantly) they enjoy they're future endeavors.

Oct 26, 2017
Neat. When did she leave Retro?

She left September 2017 with Retro's lead game designer, Stephen Dupree, to make Star Child. A PS VR game heavily... let's say inspired by Metroid.

So this guy is a science fiction writer, correct?

No, he writes comedy fantasy. They've hired fantasy writers and not sci-fi writers.

Though obviously people can write different types of things.

Jan 11, 2018
Okay, this is rather tangential, but I am left wondering...

Did any of the mass migrations of Retro folks ever lead to largely positive results for those who left?

(This is not an example of a mass migration -- I'm just curious, and the concept of folks leaving Retro came up.)

Bluepoint games was founded by one of the Lead Engineers on MP1 and MP2. There are some other ex Retro folks who joined him at Blupoint as well.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Writer leaves as their job with the narrative is finished.
Grass is green.
Writing work can go real fucking close to the end of production. The writing/story work for Doom 2016 apparently happened, as they'd describe, "irresponsibly late in the game." Not saying the person was fired or things went wrong, but the narrative is never "finished" until the game actually is.

Jan 11, 2018
Writing work can go real fucking close to the end of production. The writing/story work for Doom 2016 apparently happened, as they'd describe, "irresponsibly late in the game." Not saying the person was fired or things went wrong, but the narrative is never "finished" until the game actually is.

Retro's new game is confirmed finished!

#GrassIsGreener

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She left September 2017 with Retro's lead game designer, Stephen Dupree, to make Star Child. A PS VR game heavily... let's say inspired by Metroid.

No, he writes comedy fantasy. They've hired fantasy writers and not sci-fi writers.

Though obviously people can write different types of things.

Oh comedy fantasy. I figured they can write any genre, but you said they hired Fantasy writers.