• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Running into a bit of an issue getting local multiplayer working on a Mac.

RetroArch seems to only ever see one gamepad. If I plug in a 360 controller and a Switch Pro Controller, it thinks only a 360 controller is plugged in. If I unplug the 360 controller, suddenly it can see the Pro controller.

Other games on my Mac (eg Towerfall Ascension) can see all controllers.

Any ideas?

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone using Retroarch with a GSync screen?
I have this weird issue where if I have GSync enabled, any time I try to fast forward emulation I get a 900+ ms hang, followed by 2-3 seconds of massive judder with audio breaking up. Then it lets me fast forward fine, but when I stop doing so and start FF again after a while the situation repeats.
No such issue if I disable GSync through Nvidia Control Panel.

Happens only with the GL video driver, no such issues with Vulkan.

Last edited:

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but seems Vulkan on NVIDIA is another can of worms nowadays.
I've not run into that and I test scrolling to make sure it's smooth with the 240p Test Suite every once in awhile. But one of the replies says that it only happens when you launch games multiple times within RA without closing it in between. I always close RA after playing since I use Steam shortcuts to launch into games.

Edit: And reading further into the thead, that user said RTSS was what was causing the issue for them.

Last edited:

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing with paraLLEI RDP on PC, and it's pretty amazing,
finally something that is fast enough on my PC and looks like an actual N64, I've been emulating N64 since 2000 with a Pentium 3, this is probably the most impressive step that I've seen for my experience emulating it.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Speaking of PS1...

This is pretty huge! Could widely open the floodgates for PS1 texture packs :D

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a thread on the offical forums where you can post graphic bugs with paraLLEl N64 RDP???

Also what with paraLLEl RDP coming to Mupen64 is paraLLEl N64 RDP going to be made redundant?

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
I have had both the 32bit and 64bit nightly releases on my Nvidia shield for years. I update it now and then. Anyone else with a shield have any idea which is better; 32/64 and which gfx driver is best.

Mostly into NES, SNES, Megadrive, PSX.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
So for Mupen64Plus-Next,

for RSP Plugin should i be using, 'ParaLLEI' or 'HLE'
for RDP Plugin use 'GLideN64' or 'paraLLEI-RDP'

to get the most accuracy ?

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't think you'll notice a difference between RSP plugins unless they have different compatibilities. For RDP, paraLLEl is more accurate.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I am having such a hard time getting disc swapping to work for Saturn games in Retroarch

It worked fine when I used it for PS1 games, but I just don't know what to do that I haven't already tried. I've tried just using the disc swap in the overlay, I've tried creating a playlist, I've tried everything I can find through googling and still it just goes to the system level and won't recognise the disc when trying to swap. I truly couldn't be more frustrated

edit: i got around it but just renaming the save file from disc 1 to disc 2

Last edited:

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am having such a hard time getting disc swapping to work for Saturn games in Retroarch

It worked fine when I used it for PS1 games, but I just don't know what to do that I haven't already tried. I've tried just using the disc swap in the overlay, I've tried creating a playlist, I've tried everything I can find through googling and still it just goes to the system level and won't recognise the disc when trying to swap. I truly couldn't be more frustrated

edit: i got around it but just renaming the save file from disc 1 to disc 2
Did you try making a .m3u file and loading that instead of the individual .bin files? It didn't work for me on the Saturn emu until I did that.

Mar 22, 2020
Shocking how Kronos, YabaSanshiro and the other Yabause-derived cores have evolved in the last few years. You can play Panzer 1 and Zwei just fine, with hardware acceleration and it's mostly flawless.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
What magic is this?
I have a dual monitor setup, vert 144 Hz Gsync and hori 60 Hz non-Gsync. I have Retroarch setup to support VRR and when I play, say, Raiden Fighters Jet on primary display, it changes the refresh rate on my Gsync screen to 53 Hz, gameplay is smooth, etc.
Just for a lark, I tried playing it on the non-Gsync one, and it also outputs at 53 Hz (according to Retroarch OSD info), I don't see any tearing and the background scrolling is smooth.
Any idea why is this even working?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I need your help.

I set up Retroarch to play DKC on the SNES (Mercury Balanced) and I'm having trouble with my switch pro controller and the controls. For some reason in this game, I can use the A button to select in the menu, but while playing, I can't jump (A and B do tags, Y rolls and X does nothing)

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Hey resetera,
So I have an issue with retroarch that when I go fullscreen its a black screen. I can still hear the game running normally but it just doesnt give a picture in full screen. any help?

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Have you tried any other GPU backends?
I have an ArcadeVGA hooked into my crt BVM-20F1U via vga with an extron and the hdmi port has an adapter connecting it to a magnavox lcd display. The monitors are extended. Full screen works on the magnavox. Full screen is black on the crt both when it's connected to both displays and also on its own.
Resolution is 640x240
I always start retroarch in windowed mode

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here use Black Frame Insertion with a high refresh-rate monitor? I just found out about it and while it's a bummer that it darkens the image so much, especially coupled with a CRT shader, the result is amazing, it feels like actually playing on a CRT o.o

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Does anyone here use Black Frame Insertion with a high refresh-rate monitor? I just found out about it and while it's a bummer that it darkens the image so much, especially coupled with a CRT shader, the result is amazing, it feels like actually playing on a CRT o.o

Gave this a go and wow, it's pretty amazing for motion clarity :D Had to set the monitor to 120hz of couse but it was noticeably so much better

However err I came across two weird things:

1) Every once in a while (every 15 seconds maybe) there would be a quick flicker, as though the screen was brightening again very briefly. Not sure if that was a setting I erroneously had on

2) It caused image retention on my monitor! D: Though it thankfully it went away within an hour., it was a bit of a shock to see the Sonic 1 HUD linger after the fact ahah. Not sure if that's a side effect of a CRT shader

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Gave this a go and wow, it's pretty amazing for motion clarity :D Had to set the monitor to 120hz of couse but it was noticeably so much better

However err I came across two weird things:

1) Every once in a while (every 15 seconds maybe) there would be a quick flicker, as though the screen was brightening again very briefly. Not sure if that was a setting I erroneously had on

2) It caused image retention on my monitor! D: Though it thankfully it went away within an hour., it was a bit of a shock to see the Sonic 1 HUD linger after the fact ahah. Not sure if that's a side effect of a CRT shader

I'm glad I'm not alone with being floored by the result! :D Yeah I had to set my monitor to 120hz too but I automate that already with AutoHotKey and Monitor Profile Switcher now.

About your first issue, I have the same problem but could mitigate it somewhat by setting the refresh-rate in Retroarch to exactly what was reported when I set my monitor to 120hz in Windows which in my case is a value of 119.982002

The second issue sounds concerning, almost like what happened to the 3DS when people were patching the VC filter out, I haven't noticed anything of that sort on my MSI MAG241CR but I'll keep an eye out on it.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
I'm glad I'm not alone with being floored by the result! :D Yeah I had to set my monitor to 120hz too but I automate that already with AutoHotKey and Monitor Profile Switcher now.

About your first issue, I have the same problem but could mitigate it somewhat by setting the refresh-rate in Retroarch to exactly what was reported when I set my monitor to 120hz in Windows which in my case is a value of 119.982002

The second issue sounds concerning, almost like what happened to the 3DS when people were patching the VC filter out, I haven't noticed anything of that sort on my MSI MAG241CR but I'll keep an eye out on it.

Thanks for response :D

Yeah honestly, I'm so impressed with how smooth it is that I don't even mind the loss in brightness too much! Though hopefully messing about with shaders could help that too

Thanks for refresh rate suggestion, will try that 👍 And aye I'm on an LG 27GL850 which has an IPS screen, not sure if that kind of screen is more susceptible to image retention. It doesn't have any kind of hardware based black frame insertion, so maybe software solutions can cause that kind of temporary effect

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for response :D

Yeah honestly, I'm so impressed with how smooth it is that I don't even mind the loss in brightness too much! Though hopefully messing about with shaders could help that too

Thanks for refresh rate suggestion, will try that 👍 And aye I'm on an LG 27GL850 which has an IPS screen, not sure if that kind of screen is more susceptible to image retention. It doesn't have any kind of hardware based black frame insertion, so maybe software solutions can cause that kind of temporary effect

Yeah that's how I feel too, I set my monitor to 100% brightness by now and that alleviates things a tiny bit, good idea about countering it with shaders! And no problem :) Yeah that might be the case, mine is a VA panel so this might be what makes the difference here :/

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Hey everyone, new to Retroarch as I decided to turn my beefy laptop into a TV emulation machine when the monitor went fubar. After much fiddling, Googling and redditing, I've got my 8bitdo and I'm on the TV running everything up through Dreamcast with a decently pretty UI, but I'm having two persistent issues that I wonder if anyone here might be able to help with?

1) This one seems to be a common issue online that I haven't found a solid fix for: Getting sound through HDMI while in fullscreen in Retroarch does not seem to be a possibility -- I only get sound when using windowed mode, no matter what sound driver I use. In fullscreen, the sound either goes out completely or sometimes routes through my laptop speakers. It's not a huge issue, but it sure would be nice to have fullscreen on my TV.

2) This one just started up out of nowhere. Any time I remap my controls, the game and audio start running at chunky speed when I exit the menu. Only fix is closing the game and restarting with my dang swapped-ass A and B buttons.