• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it last night. Brilliant game. Loved the setting, atmosphere and music.
I had to look online for the fates of those 2 ladies. I get it but their fate could have been anything really. The death of one of those Formosians could have been something else as well. But that's nitpicking.
Even after resolving all the fates, it's still hard to know exactly who did what and why and I expected a plot twist in the hidden chapter but it's absolutely a must play experience.

Yeah I am just a tad disappointed with the hidden chapter. I was expecting some sort of major revelation or something, it was just a bit more added plot.

Overall though I think the story and sequence of events is fairly clear. Some of the details are a bit obscured but I think that's kinda the point, that happens with real historical events all the time.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah I am just a tad disappointed with the hidden chapter. I was expecting some sort of major revelation or something, it was just a bit more added plot.

I think the closest thing to a revelation is

hearing about the doctor making a deal with the mermaid to guide the Obra Dinn back to Falmouth in exchange for its freedom and the shells. You also get a proper look at the shell and the distinctive light pattern it gives off, which you might remember seeing in the current time far off in the distance, indicating that they kept their end of the deal.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think the closest thing to a revelation is

hearing about the doctor making a deal with the mermaid to guide the Obra Dinn back to Falmouth in exchange for its freedom and the shells. You also get a proper look at the shell and the distinctive light pattern it gives off, which you might remember seeing in the current time far off in the distance, indicating that they kept their end of the deal.

Yeah

them guiding the ship back was about the only thing it answered. We definitely saw good close ups of the shells in other memories so I could tell that the shining thing off the ship was indeed a shell in the water pretty early on. I guess I mainly wanted to know where the shells originally came from and what was going on with the chest. Like, the captain's steward mentioned something about quicksilver (aka mercury) when the chest burned him to death but I still don't really understand how it did burn him or the formosian to death.

Like I said there were a few unanswered questions and generally ambiguity but I think that was intentional.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Still thinking about this game. It really is one of a kind experience, never been done before I think. The closest feeling I got from playing this is the Ace Attorney games.
I downloaded Tangle Tower for more mystery solving but while good, it's just not the same, Obra Dinn is a step beyond in the detective game genre.

Deleted member 26293

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Completed in 7 hours, all 60 fates. I managed to figure out pretty much everything by myself but i had to check who the Bosun's mate was because i had absolutely no idea and didn't feel like to go through every single memoir to find out. Overall i'm happy with the result.

It's such a good game, holy hell. I can't image the amount of headaches the developer had to go through to make sure everything fits together and balance the number of clues the game gives you.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Completed in 7 hours, all 60 fates. I managed to figure out pretty much everything by myself but i had to check who the Bosun's mate was because i had absolutely no idea and didn't feel like to go through every single memoir to find out. Overall i'm happy with the result.

It's such a good game, holy hell. I can't image the amount of headaches the developer had to go through to make sure everything fits together and balance the number of clues the game gives you.

You can read regular development updates from developer Lucas Pope here, starting in 2014:

He posted every so often as he was creating the game. His posts are a fascinating read.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing this on Switch the other night. I'm through all available memories, with the guy on the dingy telling me to get off the boat, but I still have a very large amount of unknown people. I wish the notebook system was a little more robust, I wish there was some sort of note taking feature. It'd also be nice to bookmark memories and go from scene to scene, rather than locating the scene and initiating a memory, and then moving on elsewhere to the next one.

It's been fun, but now that I'm in the purely deduction phase, it's a bit of a slog.

tiddles

Oct 29, 2017
Just started playing this on Switch the other night. I'm through all available memories, with the guy on the dingy telling me to get off the boat, but I still have a very large amount of unknown people. I wish the notebook system was a little more robust, I wish there was some sort of note taking feature. It'd also be nice to bookmark memories and go from scene to scene, rather than locating the scene and initiating a memory, and then moving on elsewhere to the next one.

It's been fun, but now that I'm in the purely deduction phase, it's a bit of a slog.

This was me yesterday, thinking the game was pretty cool, but I probably wouldn't finish it. Fast forward to this evening, and all fates are now solved!

You can choose to get off the boat, and you will see the "bad ending", but the game lets you rewind to continue your progress. Initially it seems like a slog to keep going, but gradually you'll start filling in the missing people, and it becomes very addictive and compelling to get everybody. I started paying more attention to groups of people who were wearing similar clothes, or appearing in scenes near each other, and that helped quite a bit. Also, when revisiting scenes, there was quite a lot I'd missed, either on the margins of the traversible area, or details in the dialogue. Soon I was regularly getting the "fates solved" screen, and that in itself becomes super addictive! I agree with your criticisms about the interface - the bookmarking feature does help a bit when you are trying to follow what happened to certain individuals, but it always seemed harder to marshal the information than it needed to be. Despite this, though, it's still a superb game, and well worth putting in the effort to finish.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I was at 33/60 two days ago, yesterday I picked it up at 8PM and played for 3h straight going through a lot of "ahhhh" "ohhhh" (Zungi Sathi comes to mind) moments to complete the book and finish the game once and for all.
The most infuriating guess was probably Charles Minel
The game makes you think he's an easy guess but nope, quite the opposite, the guy got wrecked by the kraken 100% off screen and you can only really guess that randomly by the end, because nearly everyone else's fate on chapter 7 was set and he's one of the only left and there's barely any clue about him

Overall I was at 24 when I saw all the deaths, the grind was from 24 to around 40, after that it narrows down the possibility enough that you can guess everyone left more or less, that includes the chinese topmen where, I think, you had zero clue on how to guess which one is which.

As others I was expecting some kind of big twist at some point, but that's expectations based on nothing while the game was pretty straightforward from the start and we got our fair share of "supernatural" stuff through the story anyway.
Too bad we didn't get all answers about why some people did what they did (thinking about Filip Dahl for example, it really sounded like a random out of nowhere action and it's left at that), but that's part of the narrative process and would feel a bit "unnatural" if we knew everything with the limited amount of exposure we get.

I wonder if the bigger book near where the Obra Dinn book is stored is supposed to be a hint towards some kind of sequel? (Stuff that happened between the 1 year timeskip). Probably not and it's just there as some kind of open end I imagine, but I would be open to a bit more of the same in a different setting.

Anyway looking forward to Lucas Pope next project, Obra Dinn was a great once again, although it didn't make you as morally invested as Papers Please and there were lots of ways to "streamline" the exploration/guessing , but still fascinating from a game design point of view.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was at 33/60 two days ago, yesterday I picked it up at 8PM and played for 3h straight going through a lot of "ahhhh" "ohhhh" (Zungi Sathi comes to mind) moments to complete the book and finish the game once and for all.
The most infuriating guess was probably Charles Minel
The game makes you think he's an easy guess but nope, quite the opposite, the guy got wrecked by the kraken 100% off screen and you can only really guess that randomly by the end, because nearly everyone else's fate on chapter 7 was set and he's one of the only left and there's barely any clue about him

Overall I was at 24 when I saw all the deaths, the grind was from 24 to around 40, after that it narrows down the possibility enough that you can guess everyone left more or less, that includes the chinese topmen where, I think, you had zero clue on how to guess which one is which.

As others I was expecting some kind of big twist at some point, but that's expectations based on nothing while the game was pretty straightforward from the start and we got our fair share of "supernatural" stuff through the story anyway.
Too bad we didn't get all answers about why some people did what they did (thinking about Filip Dahl for example, it really sounded like a random out of nowhere action and it's left at that), but that's part of the narrative process and would feel a bit "unnatural" if we knew everything with the limited amount of exposure we get.

I wonder if the bigger book near where the Obra Dinn book is stored is supposed to be a hint towards some kind of sequel? (Stuff that happened between the 1 year timeskip). Probably not and it's just there as some kind of open end I imagine, but I would be open to a bit more of the same in a different setting.

Anyway looking forward to Lucas Pope next project, Obra Dinn was a great once again, although it didn't make you as morally invested as Papers Please and there were lots of ways to "streamline" the exploration/guessing , but still fascinating from a game design point of view.

Is Charles Minel the Bosun's mate?

You can actually see him grabbed by the Kraken in the background of one scene, but you have to deduce that because he doesn't appear in any subsequent scenes, he must have been killed by the Kraken and his body is overboard.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am so happy more people are being exposed to this game.

Until last night it was in the top 20 download games for the Switch.

I gave one copy as a present for my friend even.

tiddles

Oct 29, 2017
Re Charles Minel:

You can see him standing next to the Bosun on the deck in the last scene where they are fighting the Kraken, then in the next scene (part 1 of Escape), the Bosun asks about his "Frenchman", and is told he was "torn apart". It's logical to infer that this is the character who was fighting with him in the previous scene.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
Finished this last night, and got all achievements save a secret one. I'm really not sure what I missed.

Are there more games like this? I liked it a lot.

Re Charles Minel:

You can see him standing next to the Bosun on the deck in the last scene where they are fighting the Kraken, then in the next scene (part 1 of Escape), the Bosun asks about his "Frenchman", and is told he was "torn apart". It's logical to infer that this is the character who was fighting with him in the previous scene.

Yeah that's how I got to him. I was down to 10 people I couldn't identify. Not sure I would've been able to make this assumption before. For the longest time I thought the person actually torn apart was him...

Last edited:

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Is Charles Minel the Bosun's mate?

You can actually see him grabbed by the Kraken in the background of one scene, but you have to deduce that because he doesn't appear in any subsequent scenes, he must have been killed by the Kraken and his body is overboard.
Re Charles Minel:

Well once you know and you go back to it in retrospect of course it makes sense and the hints were there, but at first the way his death is described makes you think it's either
the topman you see splitted in two by the kraken or the midshipman that is in the middle of the explosion because, you know both of them are litteraly "torn apart", one of the guy that is in the canon line of fire fits too but... nope, he's the one guy whose fate is unknown and died 100% offscreen.
The one being grabbed by the kraken in the background is not him but the helmsman Finley Dalton

How he was judged in the epilogue is laughable too imo
He got fined for a murder he didn't do on purpose nor did he ever learn of it, all we've seen of him are scenes where he legitimately does his best to help the ship and its crew, he happened to miss a shot but there was no one in the line of fire from his point of view so it was a "safe" miss.
I still don't understand where Zungi Sathi intended to go too by the way

Last edited:

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assumed you're supposed to do that.

It is possible to solve every identity without brute forcing.

You can solve the Chinese topmen by looking at their shoes/pants while they're sleeping in their numbered hammocks.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You can solve the Chinese topmen by looking at their shoes/pants while they're sleeping in their numbered hammocks.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris

Everything looked so samey, that flashback made me think at first that there was a lot of hints to get including some easy straight ID, but besides
that one Indian, the fact one russian had a pipe and the tatoo on 37 right arm I couldn't see anything.
I have no doubt the info you provide is right, but clearly not easy to spot, I'd need to double check the bottom part of each of them to see that, maybe Switch screen in handheld mode doesn't help.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything looked so samey, that flashback made me think at first that there was a lot of hints to get including some easy straight ID, but besides
that one Indian, the fact one russian had a pipe and the tatoo on 37 right arm I couldn't see anything.
I have no doubt the info you provide is right, but clearly not easy to spot, I'd need to double check the bottom part of each of them to see that, maybe Switch screen in handheld mode doesn't help.

They're one of the toughest solutions in the game, so it's understandable.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Ah ah, but what's the in-game justification for getting identities validated by group of three? OMG ludo narrative dissonance! ;)
Anyway, curious if others identified every crew members without any guesses.

It's been a while since I played it, but I remember having to guess exactly 1 person, and it was toward the end so there weren't many options left.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
They're one of the toughest solutions in the game, so it's understandable.

The way I did it near the end was to lock 2 >99% ID and then random guess one chinese topman, it worked well enough in the end but certainly not the most clever way to do it.
If the game had a more streamlined way to jump from one flashback to another maybe I would have tried to look more carefully at some details, but as it is it was a bit of a chore to

1/ Exit the flashback you're currently in
2/ Browse the book to find the location of the next one you want to check
3/ Go there approximately
4/ Double check on the map because you often have two or three similar dead bodies
5/ Finaly get into the flashback

A simple shortcut in the book to have a list of each death and maybe being able to teleport would have helped a lot honestly.
Maybe it takes a bit too much on the immersion side though

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
Just jumping in this thread to heap on the love for this gem. Played it last year, and it's pretty much an instant top 25 all time for me... probably top 10. Easily up there for game of this gen.

I think almost everything about it is such high-level stuff — the music, the look, the "radio play" flashbacks, the terror of the whole situation, the deduction, the satisfying progression, etc. Like many others, the "Soldiers of the Sea" section is such a memorable gaming moment. Investigating the one death between the walls, and then looking through the slat and seeing... that. It was one of those moments where you're like: "What the hell am I looking at? Is that what I think it is?" The game was already cooking for me, but from that point, it just picked up even more.

I wish I could wipe my brain and play it again. I'll probably give it another playthrough years from now, but I know it will lose a bit of the luster. Just the same, I need to go back to Papers, Please and give it more of my time. Never quite sunk into it the first time.

I'll pretty much insta-buy anything from Lucas Pope from here on out.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
This was me yesterday, thinking the game was pretty cool, but I probably wouldn't finish it. Fast forward to this evening, and all fates are now solved!

You can choose to get off the boat, and you will see the "bad ending", but the game lets you rewind to continue your progress. Initially it seems like a slog to keep going, but gradually you'll start filling in the missing people, and it becomes very addictive and compelling to get everybody. I started paying more attention to groups of people who were wearing similar clothes, or appearing in scenes near each other, and that helped quite a bit. Also, when revisiting scenes, there was quite a lot I'd missed, either on the margins of the traversible area, or details in the dialogue. Soon I was regularly getting the "fates solved" screen, and that in itself becomes super addictive! I agree with your criticisms about the interface - the bookmarking feature does help a bit when you are trying to follow what happened to certain individuals, but it always seemed harder to marshal the information than it needed to be. Despite this, though, it's still a superb game, and well worth putting in the effort to finish.

I hit that point where everything finally clicked and I couldn't put it down until I had finished. Had to look up a couple minor hints, but those hints actually got my thinking on track and made the rest of my time very engaging and fun

Great experience!

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Finished yesterday (all fates) and what a brilliant game. Used a few hints posted in this thread to help with a few sticking points and brute forced several identities (having whittled them down to a few options) but did my best to solve it using what I was given. The 'eureka!' moments when you put the pieces together are unlike any other. Would legit fist pump and exclaim 'YES!' when the game told me I had correctly identified another set of fates (the music cue and 'Well done.' when you got a set right is perfect). Realizing you were given a very important piece of information about several fates at the very beginning was a personal favorite moment.

I had proclaimed Luigi's Mansion 3 as my GOTY but this is making a run at the top. An all-time great puzzle game.

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
I just beat the game and I loved it like I knew I would - The same dev did Papers Please. I'm proud to have not looked up online for hints but I did some educated guesses now and then when I was close. This game was like playing the detective parts of the Arkham Batman games but just using only your brain.

My biggest issues where:

1. How they initially force you from memory to memory with the timed window of examination then forcing you to follow the smoke trail and triggering the next scene before you've completely absorbed the previous one.

2. I love the music but I would have really liked a way to turn the music off when you want to focus your mind on the audio and scene in silence.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Still thinking about this game and how brilliant it is. Can't imagine the kind of undertaking it was to craft such a giant puzzle where every little piece needs to be in the right spot. I would play dozens of games like this, there are so many different scenarios that could be created. My top choice would be some sort of archaeological expedition that uncover some ancient Egyptian tomb and the aftermath of a curse. Treachery, mummies, plague, all sorts of shenanigans could transpire. Absolutely adore this game.

Vlad

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished this last night, and as with many others here, it's easily a top 10 of all time for me. A great game all around, and even when I was stumped and bouncing from memory to memory, looking for any clue, I never felt too frustrated, as I knew from the other fates I'd solved that the clues were always there, and I'd find them eventually.

If I had one complaint, it'd be how many of the fates relied on

matching the bunk numbers to the numbers on the crew list. It was a clever way to make every little bit of information important, and it was definitely one of those "whoa" moments when I realized what the tags on the bunks meant, but after all the varied clues used to figure out all the officers, having so many of the seamen and topmen only identifiable through some sort of connection to their bunk meant that when i got stumped on them, I knew that I had to go back to one of the memories on the gun deck and look around the bunks for something I missed

That's a minor nitpick, though, and it certainly didn't reduce my enjoyment of everything. This is even one of the rare games where I had an "ah-ha!" moment while not actually playing the game. I was out driving, and out of nowhere, it dawned on me that

the Henry Evans in the book would of course be the one that was last seen escaping from the ship. Even better is how the fates of the other three people on the lifeboat are revealed in one of the "bad" endings! Once again, I love how this game puts the clues everywhere.

I was thinking the exact same thing. The book and the whole (minor ending spoiler)
"the pocket watch remains in your posession"
line really made it feel like he was leaving things open for more investigations to come.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I picked this up earlier this week and have had three sessions with it so far (due to a new baby causing a lack of available free time).

I love this game. It's so fascinating to go through and see all these little vignettes and then try and link what I'm learning together. Everything I've done so far is fairly surface level I think, but I've got about 9-12 fates locked in. I'm really looking forward to going back to it again and trying to resolve more. Some spoiler-lite thoughts and questions (would appreciate if responses were also spoiler-free where possible!)

I like that the game doesn't really hold your hand so much when getting started, but it did lead to me starting the game by walking straight up the ladder and finding a corpse, only to flail and not really understand what to do until the guy down in the boat shouted at me a few times and I went back to open the suitcase and grab the book and watch. I swear I tried to do that at first but I guess not. Anyway, once I got that stuff it was all systems go. The first few seemed relatively simple but then when it started linking death to death through that spectral trail thing I didn't really understand why that was happening. I guess it makes sense to have that though otherwise you'd have a huge amount of dead bodies lying all over the ship.

I've started off by basically just listing how people died as I go through and then trying to fill in the names later, but the game has started unblurring people's faces a lot more quickly than I've been able to identify them. I guess there are subtle clues I'm missing out on? It's also annoying that I might see someone getting killed in someone else's flashback, but I can't go and tag how it happened during that, I have to wait for it to be their turn.

It's very satisfying to finally figure out a few – some are relatively simple (the first few including the Captain and those around him, the artist) while others I was relatively sure of but for some reason the game isn't saying is right – there's an Austrian man who's told that his French mate has been torn apart, but when I select the French man who's the mate of the Austrian man it's not correct. I must be misunderstanding somewhere – I'm sure the more I immerse myself in this the more it'll click though!

Vlad

Oct 25, 2017
I picked this up earlier this week and have had three sessions with it so far (due to a new baby causing a lack of available free time).

I love this game. It's so fascinating to go through and see all these little vignettes and then try and link what I'm learning together. Everything I've done so far is fairly surface level I think, but I've got about 9-12 fates locked in. I'm really looking forward to going back to it again and trying to resolve more. Some spoiler-lite thoughts and questions (would appreciate if responses were also spoiler-free where possible!)

I like that the game doesn't really hold your hand so much when getting started, but it did lead to me starting the game by walking straight up the ladder and finding a corpse, only to flail and not really understand what to do until the guy down in the boat shouted at me a few times and I went back to open the suitcase and grab the book and watch. I swear I tried to do that at first but I guess not. Anyway, once I got that stuff it was all systems go. The first few seemed relatively simple but then when it started linking death to death through that spectral trail thing I didn't really understand why that was happening. I guess it makes sense to have that though otherwise you'd have a huge amount of dead bodies lying all over the ship.

I've started off by basically just listing how people died as I go through and then trying to fill in the names later, but the game has started unblurring people's faces a lot more quickly than I've been able to identify them. I guess there are subtle clues I'm missing out on? It's also annoying that I might see someone getting killed in someone else's flashback, but I can't go and tag how it happened during that, I have to wait for it to be their turn.

It's very satisfying to finally figure out a few – some are relatively simple (the first few including the Captain and those around him, the artist) while others I was relatively sure of but for some reason the game isn't saying is right – there's an Austrian man who's told that his French mate has been torn apart, but when I select the French man who's the mate of the Austrian man it's not correct. I must be misunderstanding somewhere – I'm sure the more I immerse myself in this the more it'll click though!

I took the whole mechanic with the "spectral trail" thing to be for examining corpses that were no longer on the ship. They probably would have just chucked those bodies overboard, so there's no way that you could stumble upon them. If you notice,

Every chain of the "spectral trail" corpses always starts with one that's actually physically on the boat

And yes, it's pretty maddening for the game to unblur stuff, telling you that you can solve it, but you have no idea how. Nature of the beast in this case, though.

That said, the game also plays pretty fair, in that there's always a clue, and there isn't much in the way of misdirection. For example, if you hear someone talking Russian, you can assume that they're from Russia, not a French guy who also knows how to speak Russian.

As far as those "I'm sure I'm right but the game isn't locking it in" moments, I had several of those, and they were always because I had made a wrong assumption further up the line and stuck with it. For example, when it comes to the thing you mentioned with the

French guy being torn apart, I'm pretty sure I know exactly what you're doing wrong there. Without giving too much away, I hope, using people's positions in the crew is a great way to cross-reference against stuff. For example, anybody you see climbing around on the rigging is almost guaranteed to be a topman

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I took the whole mechanic with the "spectral trail" thing to be for examining corpses that were no longer on the ship. They probably would have just chucked those bodies overboard, so there's no way that you could stumble upon them. If you notice,

Every chain of the "spectral trail" corpses always starts with one that's actually physically on the boat

-snip-

That said, the game also plays pretty fair, in that there's always a clue, and there isn't much in the way of misdirection. For example, if you hear someone talking Russian, you can assume that they're from Russia, not a French guy who also knows how to speak Russian.

Without giving too much away, I hope, using people's positions in the crew is a great way to cross-reference against stuff. For example, anybody you see climbing around on the rigging is almost guaranteed to be a topman
Yeah, I suddenly realised why the book had a bunch of "unknown"s in it - not crew/passengers whose names are unknown but a way to say "I don't know who this is but they're probably a topman". I just wish I could also flag someone as "speaks x language" but I'm guessing I'll start taking my own notes for that sort of thing. And I think you're right about the spectral trail - especially as you explicitly see some bodies going overboard at times.

As I said I'm still relatively early on, I figured out that the circled locations are where to go to start off a chain, now just trying to figure out where to unlock the chapters that are on the cargo deck as there doesn't seem to be a way of getting down there.

Edit: went back to the game and suddenly I could get down to the cargo deck, must have triggered something somehow.

Last edited:

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Impulse bought this looking for a puzzle/mystery game to engage my BF (he's been more easily bored during Covid and isn't a gamer himself). All the tremendously positive word of mouth was encouraging. We started it last night. Phenomenal experience so far. Didn't see some twists coming.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Impulse bought this looking for a puzzle/mystery game to engage my BF (he's been more easily bored during Covid and isn't a gamer himself). All the tremendously positive word of mouth was encouraging. We started it last night. Phenomenal experience so far. Didn't see some twists coming.

It's so fucking good! I absolutely adored this game!

The Bad Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Beat this a while ago, but didn't see a thread for it. Such a good game and unique style. Can't wait to see what the developer does next. Speaker of which, do we have any of what is next from them?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Beat this a while ago, but didn't see a thread for it. Such a good game and unique style. Can't wait to see what the developer does next. Speaker of which, do we have any of what is next from them?

Lucas Pope has said that the scope of Obra Dinn ballooned a bit from his initial plans, so he'll be keeping to something a bit smaller for his next project.

It's actually a really interesting interview, if you've got the time: From Uncharted to Obra Dinn: Lucas Pope dishes on his illustrious game-dev career

The Bad Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Lucas Pope has said that the scope of Obra Dinn ballooned a bit from his initial plans, so he'll be keeping to something a bit smaller for his next project.

It's actually a really interesting interview, if you've got the time: From Uncharted to Obra Dinn: Lucas Pope dishes on his illustrious game-dev career

Whoa! Thanks for the article. I never know the creator was involved in Uncharted, Papers please and Mightier. It is real interesting to hear about a creator having to deal with a game expanding past their original scope envisioned for a game.

Definitely will keep a look out for what's next from Lucas Pope.

Finished it today and had a great time with it.

The graphics are quite interesting, but sometimes made it hard to see, what exactly was going on. In the book the controls never felt intuitive to me. I constantly misclicked throughout the game.
I'd have loved a better way to revisit memories. While I understand why the dev made it this way, it is still quite a hassle in the long run.
Sometimes it was also a bit hard to find the next point to open up a new chapter.

The first cases get you hooked pretty easily, then I felt overwhelmed by all the corpses, and suddenly got called off the ship. I left and had a good laugh at the letter. Didn't expect that kind of tone. ^^
Btw, they could have made the checkpoint a bit better. That I have to rewind to get back on board seems quite weird to me. Why set a checkpoint at a dead end?

Getting someone right is super satisfying, but it can also be super frustrating, when you don't know how to go on.
As others have mentioned, I found the topmen (especially the chinese) and some of the sailors the hardest.
I tried to avoid brute forcing as long as possible. I only tried some names when I had narrowed it down. It is amazing, how much information you can piece together, but also quite hard.
I found some things a bit overboard, too. Despite the game allowing multiple solutions, I still had trouble with a few cases, where I had to use a very similar verb for the book to accept the fate. To name exactly the person who shot during the execution seemed a bit weird to me as well. And fuck off Zungi Sathi! That's the one I needed to google. Would have never solved his fate on my own. This one seems a bit unfair to me.
It didn't took me too long to recognize Henry Evans, but still long enough for a good ashamed laughter. That's really tricky. ^^

The bonus chapter was a bit of a let down, and I remain with many questions, as others mentioned before.

But it's really a great game and I had a blast with it. Very special and unique. And nothing is more satisfying than the book showing your assumptions as correct!

Oct 26, 2017
UK
And fuck off Zungi Sathi! That's the one I needed to google. Would have never solved his fate on my own.

was he the guy who..

got stabbed by one of the spider creatures, crawled around the side of the boat then got shot by one of his crew mates accidentally?

If so, he was the only one I had to look up, was so mad at myself for looking it up but would have never pieced it together otherwise.

was he the guy who..

got stabbed by one of the spider creatures, crawled around the side of the boat then got shot by one of his crew mates accidentally?

If so, he was the only one I had to look up, was so mad at myself for looking it up but would have never pieced it together otherwise.
Yes, that's him. It's maddening, you can't even see properly from where you are! <.<

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I just started this and I regret not having played it sooner, because it's right up my alley.

I don't quite get bookmarks, though. What do they do? If I select a character, the popup with the list of related memories appears. What difference does bookmarking make? Can I browse my bookmarks somewhere?

I don't quite get bookmarks, though. What do they do? If I select a character, the popup with the list of related memories appears. What difference does bookmarking make? Can I browse my bookmarks somewhere?
I had trouble with this at first, too. You can only bookmark one person at a time. At the top of the book, black marks appear then:
3453997-desktop%20screenshot%202018.10.19%20-%2020.24.24.29.png

Clicking on them lets you jump through all memories, the bookmarked person appears in. It's helpful to stalk someone and find them in memories, where you didn't expect them to be at first, cause they are somewhere in the background.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
It's getting a bit frustrating. I just had like 9 memories in a row happening, without any time to breathe in between. It's getting hard to keep track of everything.

I had trouble with this at first, too. You can only bookmark one person at a time. At the top of the book, black marks appear then:
3453997-desktop%20screenshot%202018.10.19%20-%2020.24.24.29.png

Clicking on them lets you jump through all memories, the bookmarked person appears in. It's helpful to stalk someone and find them in memories, where you didn't expect them to be at first, cause they are somewhere in the background.

Ah, I have to try that, thanks!

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get this mysterious Bargain chapter. I guess I can't actually solve everything without unlocking it first? When am I supposed to get it? It says I have to leave the boat..?

It is best to not get hung up on things too quick. Concentrate on unlocking all chapters first, yes.
You don't have to leave the ship, but you can any time (after he first called you). The game lets you "rewind" after the credits and you'll be back on board. There is even a hint hidden in the ending, but you don't necessarily need it.